PDA

View Full Version : Please educate me: Do boots support your achilles more than trail runners or.....

SCGamecock
09-26-2012, 12:46
....do they put more stress on your achilles. Never owned a pair of boots. I know boots give you more total support for they foot but do they workout your achilles more than the freedom trail runners give you. Thanks for any input.

leaftye
09-26-2012, 12:53
If laced tightly at the top of the boot it can take some strain off your calf, which would work your achilles less, but having a lot of pressure around that tendon can also wear through the sheath, and that's very bad. Good footwear will try to put minimal pressure on that area. Other than that type of injury, I don't see how boots would put more stress on your achilles.

Tinker
09-26-2012, 13:19
Boots have given me more achilles problems than low topped shoes. The higher cuff presses on the tendon, causing soreness after many miles. Everyone is built differently, though. I also used to get tenderness on the outside of my ankles near the ankle bone with my Limmer boots on occasion. I've never had that problem since I switched to low tops.

Blissful
09-26-2012, 14:06
Good shoes and proper insoles that both match your foot type is the way to go.

Pedaling Fool
09-26-2012, 15:15
I've rolled my ankle in heavy duty boots and that's because no matter how heavy duty your boots they can not stop your foot from rolling if there's enough weight and momentum behind that roll (unless of course the material is totally rigid, which it's not.)

I'm sure boots, especially if they are properly fitted and laced will provide more support than low-tops. However, there's another way to look at this and that is, regardless of type of shoes, your stabalizing muscles in that area will be built up with more and more hiking and possibly some work at the gym.

Looking for something the provides the max amount of stability can actually create weakness in that area, in the same way a knee brace can cause atrophy in muscles around the knee.

As silly as some may think this sounds, I think I'm a better hiker for rolling my ankle. If you haven't rolled your ankle you're not a real hiker:D It's just part of being a hiker.

leaftye
09-26-2012, 15:24
I've also seen a couple articles that say they believe high ankle strains in professional sports are becoming more common because of all the ankle support. Now I don't know what the difference is between a normal ankle sprain and a high ankle strain is, but I'd rather develop and rely on strong ankles and quick reflexes than on clunky boots that provide a sense of support that isn't fully warranted.

jeffmeh
09-26-2012, 15:41
As silly as some may think this sounds, I think I'm a better hiker for rolling my ankle. If you haven't rolled your ankle you're not a real hiker:D It's just part of being a hiker.

Then I must be an outstanding hiker indeed.

Bucho
09-27-2012, 22:46
....do they put more stress on your achilles. Never owned a pair of boots. I know boots give you more total support for they foot but do they workout your achilles more than the freedom trail runners give you. Thanks for any input.

I partially tore my achilles in 2008 and was still having trouble with it during my thru hike last year. I didn't notice any difference between wearing boots and trail runners. Wrapping my leg helped, the way I walked made a difference and it was important that my shoes didn't bruise or inflame my heels.

Whack-a-mole
09-28-2012, 10:23
We hike a lot towards the end of Oct, and the leaves are falling and covering the trail. It is not uncommon to step on a rock that is hidden by fresh leaf fall, and roll your ankle. I feel that my boots have saved me several times from a severe strain while on the trail. I understand the theory of some of the posts above, but I'm very sure that if I'd had trail runners on, I'd have been hurt. Even though my boots are high tops, they are very light weight Solomons, and they do pretty good for me (so far). It's very interesting how different people approach things. I may try trail runners in the future, but I have to wear these boots out first.

kayak karl
09-28-2012, 10:58
my doc told me i rolled my ankle in train runners because i wear boots every day at work and have learned over years to count on the support. i wear low-cuts now to strengthen my ankles. don't know if he was right, but i haven't rolled my ankle again in 3 years ?

Gillum
09-29-2012, 07:27
KK is spot-on! In fact my orthopedic was quick to deter me from wearing items that acted as a support or brace as the tend to hinder the body's natural mechanics which could lead to other issues.

chiefduffy
09-29-2012, 09:04
I believe boots probably do give more support to the achilles than trailrunners. The only achilles strain I ever had was when when I switched over to trailrunners..hyper extended my achilles. Had some painful rolled ankles at that time, also. However, I rarely roll ankles now, and never hyper-extend my achilles. I believe it happened initially because of weakness caused by the boots.

Fredt4
09-30-2012, 01:35
Not many thru hikers will wear boots. I believe the false support the boots provide lead to injuries (no serious data to support that) but a set of hiking poles and trail runners seem to provide better results.

Tipi Walter
09-30-2012, 08:41
Traction is also a vital component of foot safety and often disregarded by backpackers. Remember the old lug-sole boots of the 1970's? Those babies could keep your feet planted on muddy trails. The biggest drawback to trailrunners are traction issues and poor lug sole tread. I've done many trips with backpackers wearing trailrunners and it's not funny to see them slide down a muddy mountain trail and flailing in a skidding Mad Moment. Such flailing can wack out a calf or ankle. Solution? Get a decent boot with a robust lug sole. You'll be alot more surefooted, especially when humping some real world weight.

The old lug soles of the 70's aren't available anymore but many boots have very decent lugs, like the Limmers or some of the Asolo full leather boots.

garlic08
09-30-2012, 13:17
I had achilles problems years ago when I wore boots, but I also humped much more weight back then. I don't know if my current good tendon health is attributable to the lower pack weight or the footwear, or some of each. And I hike more than I used to. Too many variables have changed.

Silent Stroll
05-28-2013, 17:15
As silly as some may think this sounds, I think I'm a better hiker for rolling my ankle. If you haven't rolled your ankle you're not a real hiker:D It's just part of being a hiker.[/QUOTE]

So the best soldiers are the ones that have been shot? The best driver is one that has had accidents? Hmm, are you married? The best spouse is one that has affairs?

litefoot2000
05-28-2013, 17:41
You say you never owned a pair of boots. I'd keep it that way.

Razor
05-29-2013, 09:07
In studies that the Army has done , boots do absolutely nothing to help the foot,ankle ,or calf till you carry loads above 70 lbs. After that they can be of marginal help. I hope no one is backpacking with 70 lbs these days .----Of course the Army always carry more than 70 and thus they still use boots.

jeffmeh
05-29-2013, 10:30
In studies that the Army has done , boots do absolutely nothing to help the foot,ankle ,or calf till you carry loads above 70 lbs. After that they can be of marginal help. I hope no one is backpacking with 70 lbs these days .----Of course the Army always carry more than 70 and thus they still use boots.

I have stubbornly accepted that I am less injury prone with trail shoes than with boots. I did use to carry in excess of 70 lbs. when taking kids through the Whites, and I always wore decent leather boots, but those days are long gone. :)