PDA

View Full Version : Anyone gone UL and switched back?

Paddlefoot
09-26-2012, 14:51
My last long-distance hike was 1991 when I thru-hiked the AT. I won't tell you how much my pack weighed!

Kids and Cows have largely kept me off the trails since then, but I'm starting to think about a thru-hike again - probably the PCT.

I am astounded by how the equipment has changed - I think my 42 year old body would do better with a significantly lighter load.

I am willing to make the investment in gear - but I am wondering if anyone here has gone ultralight and then decided to go back to conventional backpacking (and why?).

Thanks!

Tipi Walter
09-26-2012, 15:02
You probably won't get many takers on this one as most people who go ultralight end up brainwashed with the new religion and even if they went back to heavy they'd never tell anyone about it. I was ultralight back in the early 1980's with just a tarp and a bivy bag but now I'm UltraLoad. And anyway, who's ultralight with 45lbs of food for a 20 day trip??

Nutbrown
09-26-2012, 15:12
I'm a bit on the fence. UL is too expensive (cuben tarps) and I'm not willing to go that far for the money. I have gone as light as possible for me, and I think I have to find my happy place at 23-24 lbs. I don't think I'll ever go back to stupid weight like what I carried at first (canned food and a spare pair of jeans) but my UL quest is wanning.

yellowsirocco
09-26-2012, 15:29
You don't come back from UL. You dip your feet in and realize it is crazy. I have tried some UL solutions and didn't like them. I tried a JRB quilt and a SMD Gatewood Cape. Both of those were too extreme for me so I use more conventional gear.

jakedatc
09-26-2012, 15:47
It depends how far you go... some people like to test their own limits. once you find that then you can back off slightly and find a happy spot. You can definitely be pretty damn light at the same cost as conventional stuff and not lose any comforts. you don't need cuben, tarps, frameless packs to be lightweight. I do like to read UL and SUL gear lists and trip reports from people testing the limits to get ideas for my own trips.

a lot of it is the mindset and theory that goes with it as much as the actual gear. you don't NEED 3 changes of clothes when 1 will do, you don't NEED a 5lb shelter that is no better than a 2lb one, you don't NEED heavy Nalgene bottles when Smartwater bottles hold the same amount.

Tipi Walter
09-26-2012, 16:01
It depends how far you go... some people like to test their own limits.

Wouldn't a better test of a person's limits be humping an 80 lb pack for two weeks?

jakedatc
09-26-2012, 16:09
Limits of how light you can go without sacrificing comfort. I already know that i don't enjoy carrying more than 30lb and I've already done 4-5 days with less than 25lb so I see no need to go heavier.

I am glad you like to do long unsupported trips, I have no desire to do that. ever

daddytwosticks
09-26-2012, 16:23
I swing both ways wrt ultralight/conventional, depending on lots of factors. Guess I'm not brainwashed.

skinewmexico
09-26-2012, 16:24
Wouldn't a better test of a person's limits be humping an 80 lb pack for two weeks?

Personally, I'd rather do that by chasing NFL cheerleaders.

And just so the OP knows...........Tipi does a type of backpacking of which most of us are unfamiliar. He goes on solo, multi-week, unsupported trips, often (usually?) during the worst weather possible. No offense intended, Tipi; every trip you do seems epic. If I was brave enough to try your kind of trips, I'd probably have a lot of the gear you do. But since I don't, I use the lightest tool for the job. It's all about finding out what works for you, where you hike.

Of course, I still think using conventional gear for most hikers is like using a 15 year old laptop. Ha!

treesloth
09-26-2012, 16:28
You don't come back from UL. You dip your feet in and realize it is crazy. I have tried some UL solutions and didn't like them. I tried a JRB quilt and a SMD Gatewood Cape. Both of those were too extreme for me so I use more conventional gear.

What kind of quilt did you use from JRB? If you used a 48-inch width hammock quilt on the ground, I'm sure you had a hard time keeping it comfortably wrapped around you. I agree with the Gatewood cape, a bit too extreme for me too. I could imagine having to setup that shelter in a drenching rain...

garlic08
09-26-2012, 17:02
Not me. I changed my pack very slowly over three or four seasons, from 30 plus pounds (base weight, no food or water) to under ten. I actually saved money going lighter. When I needed a new tent, I bought a Henry Shires Tarptent for $200 instead of a high quality double-wall job for $300+, like the one I wore out. I sold my Thermarest for $50 and bought a Z-rest for $20. I no longer buy water bottles, just use recycled. When I lost a multitool, I didn't replace it. My frameless pack only cost $80. The sleeping bag was expensive, but now I have an excellent sleeping bag and I kicked myself for waiting so long to buy one. Mostly, I just left the stuff I never used, couldn't eat, or didn't keep my warm or dry at home. Maybe because I changed so slowly, I never experienced any "bounce-back"--I never added anything back to my pack.

Good luck in your quest.

Franco
09-26-2012, 17:25
Paddlefoot
If you intend to do winter walks where snowfall is likely to happen and be abundant, listen to Tipi.
On the other end if you are contemplating a walk in the woods , like doing the Appalatian or bits of it in the "3 seasons" just ignore him...

Ultralight takes skill and up to a point less comfort in favour of speed or simply a lighter load, but do keep iun mind that UL is a starting weight of 10 lbs or so.
There is another way and that is what I call "comfortably light" , that is what I do.
My shelters are in the 24-35 oz range (Tarptent) Fully enclosed easy to set up (dry) and take little space in the pack.
My pack usually is an Aarn (the ones with front pockets) but also have a ULA Circuit, about 37 oz, that holds up to 35 lbs with comfort.
The mat is a Neo Air, about 13 oz, again very comfortable for me.
For a sleeping bag I use the Western Mountaineering Summerlite, that works with a base layer down to about 32f but I use it also down to 20f with my puffy pants and top (in winter) the Summerlite is about 19oz.
I don't cook, just boil water, so my Caltera Cone TiTri (titanium wind screen) works well for me.
Light ,efficient (good combo of fuel economy and speed) and works in the wind too. Very stable.

The above is far from beign UL but it is as comfortable for me at camp as any other gear I have used and much more so when I walk (less weight...)
Franco
http://www.tarptent.com/ (I look after Tarptent in Australia)
http://www.ula-equipment.com/
http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-ti-tri
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm

SouthMark
09-26-2012, 17:27

Yea, my orthopedist would love it. I do not hike to prove how much or how little I can carry. I hike to enjoy the trip and humping an 80 lb pack up a mountain is not my idea of fun (I know, I have done it back before I knew better). The heavier my pack the more I like to camp, the lighter my pack the more I like to hike.

yellowsirocco
09-26-2012, 17:44
What kind of quilt did you use from JRB? If you used a 48-inch width hammock quilt on the ground, I'm sure you had a hard time keeping it comfortably wrapped around you. I agree with the Gatewood cape, a bit too extreme for me too. I could imagine having to setup that shelter in a drenching rain...

Oh I don't remember it was so long ago. I am smart enough to know not to use a hammock quilt on the ground though.

Different Socks
09-26-2012, 18:13
Has anyone here that is UL, ever gone "stupid light". The expression comes from a well known ultra-lighter, Mr Andrew Skurka himself.

Franco
09-26-2012, 18:24
Andrew Skurka is a professional adventurer/trail runner not a typical occasional walker nor a typical through hiker either.
There is a lot of middle ground between stupid light and stupid heavy...

John B
09-26-2012, 18:41
I'm just a lowly section hiker, but I got rid of some of my ultralight stuff for things that are more comfortable to me. I went back to lightweight boots instead of trail runners; I ditched the alcohol stove for a SnowPeak canninster stove; I carry TWO sleeping pads -- a closed-cell Thermarest and a NeoAir; I carry a COTTON t-shirt to sleep in. Just a few examples.

Gillum
09-26-2012, 18:45
Yea, I have dealt with the YoYo effect but I am currently at UL end and feel good about it.

jakedatc
09-26-2012, 18:50
Andrew Skurka is a professional adventurer/trail runner not a typical occasional walker nor a typical through hiker either.
There is a lot of middle ground between stupid light and stupid heavy...

which...has nothing to do with what he said/asked.. he said if anyone had DONE it..

levidoug
09-26-2012, 20:47
I think Franco hit the nail head. Comfortable light is more where I am also going
from stupid heavy-lol.

Wise Old Owl
09-26-2012, 21:17
I have gone as far as Sub UL survival and since added a few pounds for comfort Never got into cuben, but went tarpless and bodybag... it was a mistake.

Deacon
09-26-2012, 21:42
Oh I don't remember it was so long ago. I am smart enough to know not to use a hammock quilt on the ground though.

Oh? Why not? I use a top quilt as my cover, and am fine sleeping directly on my Exped with shorts and T-shirt. 40 degree quilt is only 12.7 oz. Summer of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RodentWhisperer
09-26-2012, 22:55
I like the idea of "comfortably light," or "comfortably UL." Everyone has their limits. I've been striving to be UL for some time, but I'll not forsake my well-being for it. I've gone back to wearing boots after finding I need ankle support and a secure toe box. I'm debating if it's worth the extra few ounces of a Steripen (vs. repackaged AquaMira), so I can drink immediately after treating water. As they say, "hike your own hike."

turtle fast
09-27-2012, 02:59
I agree with RodentWhisperer on comfortable light/UL. You do not have to adopt drinking from a Dannon yoghurt cup and cut salami with a razor blade, but if lighter gear fits your needs and if the price is comfortable for you then why not upgrade to lighter. For example, why use a Nalgene (other than for hot beverages) when Gatoraide bottles are lighter or trading that Coleman Peak 442 for a Jetboil.

Cookerhiker
09-27-2012, 11:32
The only ultralight gear I decided against was an alcohol stove and I'm not sure that counts because the canister stove I replaced it with is pretty light.

Even if you don't make a conscious effort to go ultralight, nearly all conventinal gear is lighter now than when you thruhiked in '91.

10-K
09-27-2012, 12:33
No me... I'm happy to carry as little as possible and still be safe. The lighter my pack, the more enjoyable my hike and that's why I wear a pack in the first place - to hike. 18ish lbs with 3 days food and a quart of water is my sweet spot.

I've been happy with my pack weight for a while but I am going to switch to a cuben tarp over the coming months in preparation for the PCT.

Darwin13
09-27-2012, 15:54
In my experience, getting lighter and lighter gear has only been a good thing but being prepared to my level of comfort (something you need to figure out) is something I must have. So again, find out what you like in terms of weight, comfortability and tweak it from there. Most places take returns so you can try something out and keep it in perfect condition and if you dont like it, send it back.

SouthMark
09-27-2012, 16:03
Except for Tipi Walter who apparently hates ULers, you don't find many hikers that brag about how heavy their packs are.

10-K
09-27-2012, 16:42
Legend has it that Tipi carries his own firewood and wears.a hoop of cheese around his neck.

handlebar
09-27-2012, 17:05
I've been happy with my pack weight for a while but I am going to switch to a cuben tarp over the coming months in preparation for the PCT. I'd recommend SMD Wild Oasis or Zpacks Hexamid Solo Tent. Both are shaped tarps. There are places on the PCT where you'll really appreciate the bug protection. I found the WO combined with a tyvek groundcloth shaped to fit over bug netting fringe, did a reasonable job of keeping the skeeters out, through many got in when I jumped into the tent. I used my Superfeet insole to swat over a hundred dead one night in Yellowstone. On the PCT, you'll find there are lots of nights when you just throw out the tyvek and sleep under the starts, so it makes sense to carry a really light shelter. That said, I've spent a freak spring snowstorm that dumped 18" of wet snow in the WO. It was fine.

mudhead
09-27-2012, 18:59
Legend has it that Tipi carries his own firewood and wears.a hoop of cheese around his neck.

Nah. His concession to the new century was trying the fancy cheddar that comes in wheels.

I hear they roll nice down hills.

Wild Oasis might be kinda short for knees and elbows kind of guy.:)

jakedatc
09-27-2012, 21:47

I heard he actually carried Ryan Jordan to see what the whole UL thing was all about.

Different Socks
09-27-2012, 23:03
Don't think I'll ever happen to "go back", because even though I wish to carry less because I am getting older, my average pack weight will still be on the heavy end of the scale. Or let me put it this way, I'd rather be comfy for all 5 days, no matter the weather, trail conditions, etc, than be uncomfy for 2 out of those 5 days because I didn't bring all the proper gear. When out for 5 days here, 3 days there, 4 days another time, it's easy to not carry every thing you need if you can check weather and leave it at home. On a long hike, that is not possible, especially on the AT because it can rain every day for weeks, be cold one day, hot the next.
Many of the UL'ers seem to be the type that don't mind carrying less even if they have to bear the brunt of bad conditions b/c they don't have everything.

Bucho
09-27-2012, 23:53
I am willing to make the investment in gear - but I am wondering if anyone here has gone ultralight and then decided to go back to conventional backpacking (and why?).
Thanks!

Sure if I'm not trying to hike 20 miles a day for a long distance with a bad achilles, I'll bring an inflatable pillow. Hiking in March and September I'll certainly bring pants and also more cold weather gear than a long sleeve shirt. Maybe more than one pair of socks or some underwear etc.

I think you get the idea, there are comfort and luxury item that I really like to have but the AT was hard enough on my body without the extra weight. I'm glad that I did it the way I did.

jakedatc
09-28-2012, 00:39
Don't think I'll ever happen to "go back", because even though I wish to carry less because I am getting older, my average pack weight will still be on the heavy end of the scale. Or let me put it this way, I'd rather be comfy for all 5 days, no matter the weather, trail conditions, etc, than be uncomfy for 2 out of those 5 days because I didn't bring all the proper gear. When out for 5 days here, 3 days there, 4 days another time, it's easy to not carry every thing you need if you can check weather and leave it at home. On a long hike, that is not possible, especially on the AT because it can rain every day for weeks, be cold one day, hot the next.
Many of the UL'ers seem to be the type that don't mind carrying less even if they have to bear the brunt of bad conditions b/c they don't have everything.

is 6 months long enough? (if people haven't watched Andrew's Alaska loop video or seen his talks i highly recommend them)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMf7TypZwtc

It takes skills and experience to do things right and be prepared while being light. You can find light weight and heavy weight backpackers that are unprepared. Casting a wide net that UL = unprepared is ridiculous and means you are doing it wrong.

Bronk
09-28-2012, 03:26
When I buy new equipment I tend to replace what I have with the lightest stuff I can find (with an eye to reasonable price also), but how much weight I carry depends a lot on where I'm going and what I'm doing. I LOVE canoe camping because you can go into wild areas and literally take the kitchen sink with you...my canoe will hold 1200 pounds. But if I'm going on a short hike and the weather is good I'll just take my sleeping bag, cooking gear and a tarp. So I'd bet people 'go back' all the time depending on the circumstances. One reason people might 'go back' to heavier equipment is that in some cases the lighter equipment won't put up with as much abuse.

jeffmeh
09-28-2012, 09:23
High-quality, light, inexpensive: Pick Two

jakedatc
09-28-2012, 09:42
High-quality, light, inexpensive: Pick Two

Not true. Plenty of lightweight gear that is similar price as heavier stuff.

kayak karl
09-28-2012, 09:52
don't even know what i am? i usually buy the lightest item if replacing, but not always true. i hammock, but i tent also. i hike to camp and sometimes i camp to hike. i car camp and backpack. kayak flat water and ocean. i white blaze, but enjoy blue.
the only thing that seems to stay consistent is i'm Trash ;)

Whack-a-mole
09-28-2012, 10:03
I think I am too big to ever get into the UL group, but I'm light enough for me, and I'm comfortable on my trips. My total pack weight, including water and food, is in the low 30's which I don't think is too bad if you weigh 260. Yes, I could cut a couple pounds, but at age 50, I want to be able to sit up in my tent. I want a decent nights sleep, and I want to eat pretty good. So, I have good gear that is light weight, and do the best I can to get it down, but I still have my limits.

jeffmeh
09-28-2012, 10:39
Not true. Plenty of lightweight gear that is similar price as heavier stuff.

Certainly there are exceptions, but I stand by the general rule. To really drop weight one does have to spend some cash on sleep system, pack, and shelter. Can you find heavier gear at the same price? Certainly.

jakedatc
09-28-2012, 11:05
my MYOG 40* quilt cost 60ish bucks and weighs 12oz, pad cost 50-60 at 18oz, pack is 2lb 56L at 150ish. tent is the most at 240 but is 30oz for a spacious 1 person.

to really drop weight you need to leave extraneous things behind. i find many on WB are unwilling to do this.

skinewmexico
09-28-2012, 12:13
Yes, I could cut a couple pounds, but at age 50, I want to be able to sit up in my tent. I want a decent nights sleep, and I want to eat pretty good.

So how tall are you? I can sit up in every UL tent I own, but I'm only 5' 10".

bannerstone
09-28-2012, 13:55
Once you go UL, it becomes part of your hiker DNA, you may go back to some more comfort based gear but you'll likely take some UL concepts with you and you'll have seen some things work that you had doubts about. It's a bit like going on a strict budget for a time, your financial curcumstances may evenutually change but you'll have gained something from the experience and your habits will be changed.

David

Tipi Walter
09-28-2012, 14:36
is 6 months long enough? (if people haven't watched Andrew's Alaska loop video or seen his talks i highly recommend them)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMf7TypZwtc

It takes skills and experience to do things right and be prepared while being light. You can find light weight and heavy weight backpackers that are unprepared. Casting a wide net that UL = unprepared is ridiculous and means you are doing it wrong.

It should be remembered that Skurka's pack was around 55 lbs on his Alaska-Yukon trip when he had to go without resupply for 14 days. Your comment "Is 6 months long enough?" is misleading as resupply is a near constant for most backpackers--- thereby reducing pack weight greatly. Nobody can carry 6 months worth of fuel and food but we can carry approx 25 days worth of food and fuel w/o resupply---then our packs are at minimum 60 lbs. ULers cannot go on long trips w/o resupply---they wouldn't be ultralight anymore when their food load alone is 40-45 lbs.

Cookerhiker
09-28-2012, 14:49
No me... I'm happy to carry as little as possible and still be safe. The lighter my pack, the more enjoyable my hike and that's why I wear a pack in the first place - to hike. 18ish lbs with 3 days food and a quart of water is my sweet spot.

I've been happy with my pack weight for a while but I am going to switch to a cuben tarp over the coming months in preparation for the PCT.

I suspect that the PCT will feature several stretches where you'll need to carry more than a quart of water at a time.

jeffmeh
09-28-2012, 15:05
I opt for the lightest gear that is:
1) Suitable for the task given my itinerary, skills, experience, and comfort level
2) Within my budget
3) Impactful enough in terms of reducing weight that I value it enough to acquire and carry it

To me, that is the rational way to view it. Note that two individuals could use the same criteria and come up with very different answers to suit individual preferences.

jakedatc
09-28-2012, 15:10
It should be remembered that Skurka's pack was around 55 lbs on his Alaska-Yukon trip when he had to go without resupply for 14 days. Your comment "Is 6 months long enough?" is misleading as resupply is a near constant for most backpackers--- thereby reducing pack weight greatly. Nobody can carry 6 months worth of fuel and food but we can carry approx 25 days worth of food and fuel w/o resupply---then our packs are at minimum 60 lbs. ULers cannot go on long trips w/o resupply---they wouldn't be ultralight anymore when their food load alone is 40-45 lbs.

It was actually 24 days and he did 650 miles in that stretch... i wonder if your heavy trips ever do that? off trail... after doing 5000 miles beforehand...?

He was saying that UL could not be done in varying conditions. when you go through 3 seasons in Alaska with minor changes to his gear, that is a damn good example. ie he used the same shelter, same quilt for 3/4 of it, etc

For "normal" people with regular weekend to weeklong trips they would be able to be in that baseweight easily and be prepared for any weather encountered.

Trying to make everything into a no resupply trip like you said is for the most part unnecessary. For most people that is not a goal. and also Food and water is not included in "ultralight" that is what you add into your bag to supply the trip and usually a difficult to change number.. 1.5lb/day(ish) constant that is necessary.

I think perhaps you spend too much time looking at your feet hunched over with your giant bag of rocks on that you cannot see anything past what YOU do. for that I have little respect.

Tipi Walter
09-28-2012, 16:18
It was actually 24 days and he did 650 miles in that stretch... i wonder if your heavy trips ever do that? off trail... after doing 5000 miles beforehand...?

Trying to make everything into a no resupply trip like you said is for the most part unnecessary. For most people that is not a goal. and also Food and water is not included in "ultralight" that is what you add into your bag to supply the trip and usually a difficult to change number.. 1.5lb/day(ish) constant that is necessary.

I think perhaps you spend too much time looking at your feet hunched over with your giant bag of rocks on that you cannot see anything past what YOU do. for that I have little respect.

The longest trip I've done w/o resupply was 21 days but I'm not advertising myself as an Ultimate Hiker so there's no earthly need to do 650 miles in 24 days. You say a no resupply trip is for the most part unnecessary? Well, not for those backpackers who want to enter a wilderness area and not see a town or cross a road or parlay with commerce for the whole trip. If AT types can pull a 5 month trip or a 1 month section hike, well, there's nothing stopping these same people from doing the same thing in the Cohuttas or Mt Rogers or Dolly Sods for a month or two or five and come out for resupply once every 25 days.

We've all been to a town and we've all seen traffic and heard the bonobo-howlings of our fellow man and we've all spent time in a television prison as a couch potato---these make it a great incentive to load up 45 lbs of food and disappear into the forest for as long as possible. And for us geezers who are retired, what the heck is stopping us? People can find the time. AT thruhikers find the time for a 5 month trip. Instead, why not pull a 5 month trip with 5 resupplies off the AT but in a vast area of trails as offered by the Cherokee or Nantahala or Pisgah or Jefferson National Forests?

Ultralighters for the most part pull what I call "snippet trips"---weekends or 5 day weekends with a minimal food load. Give them the opportunity to do a month w/o resupply and they're in a quandary---mainly because their favorite light pack won't haul the food.

Nutbrown
09-28-2012, 16:22
ouch. Why the disrespect to Tipi just because you wouldn't hike his hike? I don't ever remember Tipi saying everyone else is doing it wrong. He just shows another way.

jakedatc
09-28-2012, 16:27
Ultralighters for the most part pull what I call "snippet trips"---weekends or 5 day weekends with a minimal food load. Give them the opportunity to do a month w/o resupply and they're in a quandary---mainly because their favorite light pack won't haul the food. .

that is because most people have this thing called a JOB. most people cannot take off for months at a time to the middle of nowhere and even if they could, would probably choose to do something lighter and with resupplying... hence the popularity of Thru hikes over expedition stuff.

ouch. Why the disrespect to Tipi just because you wouldn't hike his hike? I don't ever remember Tipi saying everyone else is doing it wrong. He just shows another way.

because it has nothing to do with this thread.... or most of the threads he sticks his face into. When there is a thread about going for a month with no resupply, i'll be sure to not respond because i have no interest in it. he has no interest in being ultralight, he just likes to think people care how many heavy things he can carry for a month. they don't. He is like some drunk uncle telling stories about his high school football "heroics" no one gives a ****.

Nutbrown
09-28-2012, 16:36
So instead of getting your knickers in a twist, put up a post asking to stay on topic.

Tipi Walter
09-28-2012, 16:36

When you point it out he follows with a couple more. Reactionary.

jakedatc
09-28-2012, 16:40
You probably won't get many takers on this one as most people who go ultralight end up brainwashed with the new religion and even if they went back to heavy they'd never tell anyone about it. I was ultralight back in the early 1980's with just a tarp and a bivy bag but now I'm UltraLoad. And anyway, who's ultralight with 45lbs of food for a 20 day trip??

He jumped in with the first reply.... he knows he is off topic but doesn't care. He thinks people will be impressed, they aren't.

Tipi Walter
09-28-2012, 16:51

Thanks!

Jakedatc---You forgot to add the original thread question asked by Paddlefoot---the response was Yes, ultralight in the 1980's. No, not now because of butt-long trips with a big food load, my answer to his question of "why?" And judging from your replies, my original statement "brainwashed with the new religion" might actually apply.

jakedatc
09-28-2012, 16:55

then into the measuring contest with himself...

Wolf - 23000
09-28-2012, 17:00
Normal I travel with a very lightweight backpack but on a few times I have carried extra while hiking with someone. It has been a while but the last time I left town with 18 pounds (including 5 days of food and water). It was still lightweight but not as light as I normal travel.

Wolf

MuddyWaters
09-28-2012, 19:06
There is ultralight, and there is super-ultralight. Plenty go super-ultralight and go back. Ultralight is more a mindset, only what you need, only as much as you need, and the lightest form that will meet that need.

It is possible to be ultralight(base wt < 10lbs) and not give anything up, at all. This is where many want to be , It may take some $$$ to do that, but it can definitely be done, in comfort. No reason to get away from that, unless your trips are long enough, and dry enough , that you need a heavy framed pack to haul your food and water. Then, it doesnt really matter.

The advantage to ultralight, is simply that it is 1) easier 2) less crap to clutter things up, more organized

I used to think you were less likely to injur yourself, but you may actually be more likely because of being tempted to do too much, too fast.

Papa D
09-28-2012, 21:17
Tipi Walter's style is commendable but certainly not usual - - sometimes, I "go there" but eventually, unless you are literally trying to live off the land, you have to re-supply. That said, I do like to go a long time without re-supply and sometimes carry longish term (for me, 7-9 days) of food and fuel. At other times, when I want to cover a lot of ground, I carry less. Winter conditions excepted, I think that keeping your "big four" (tent, sleeping bag, pad, and backpack) as light as you are reasonably comfortable with is a good idea for most people - - when winter hits, heavier gear is necessary but some consideration regarding weight is still pertinent.

I have flirted with getting very light and I think eliminating unnecessary items is a good drill for most backpackers. Getting my base (mid-spring to early autumn) weight down to between 11 - 12 pounds (and a full pack weight around 20 pounds) has taught me what I could do without, how to improvise, how to be creative - - this drill enabled me to add items back selectively - - like more fuel and clothing for colder temps, like a heavier food load for longer stints between food supplies, what luxury items would be reasonable to add back, etc. Now, I will agree with Tipi on this: Ultra light can be dangerous - - with base weights below 11 pounds, I think a lot of people are rolling the dice on the fact that the forest is a great magnifier of problems and that weather can move in quick and leave someone with minimal thermal and rain protection at risk - - this sort of thing only works on the majority of the AT because roads and towns are so close - - trekking in more remote places and wilderness areas as an ultra-lighter (AT style) might often be foolish. Ok so ......
My answer to the OPs question is "sometimes" - - sometimes, I'm light as a feather doing big long summer days and nearly running down the trail - - at other times, I trend more toward packing big loads, going slower, staying warmer - -
It's great to know how to tailor make each trip for yourself so that it is most enjoyable for you.

russb
09-29-2012, 05:39
I am not one for labels, so perhaps I am missing something here. But I wonder if the whole, unsupported for x days to carry x amount of food is irrelevant since the difference between someone who is an "ULer" or whatever will still carry less than someone with a "standard" load. A 60lb pack for a 25 day journey is still considerably lighter than an 80lb pack for that same duration. I also do not consider being cold and miserable a test of ones manhood anymore than I consider carrying a heavier load a measure of it. Perhaps it is because I consider my trips an enjoyable experience and am not trying to prove myself to others. I do what I do because I like it, not because I think someone else will perceive me as more/less hardcore because of it. There are too many of those types of people back in civilization; the woods is more peaceful. I go there to leave that bs behind.

daddytwosticks
09-29-2012, 10:41
If anybody is looking for a label, how about "hiker". 60 pounds or 6, who cares? Am I impressed if you carry 60 pounds? No. Am I impressed if you carry 6? Maybe. I hike to satisfy myself. See you all out on the trail.

Franco
09-29-2012, 20:36
To go back to the initial question...
All too often what some call "UL" is borderline light not UL at all.
This can be the cause of some confusion here.
For example a 35 oz pack or solo tent are not UL, just light.
In my case I have experimented with UL but do that in my backyard so that I don't get surprises in the bush.
Very simply a 3-4oz alcohol set up that does not work reliably for me at home is not going to work in the bush either.
A 1/8th " mat that is uncomfortable at home does not magically become comfortable in the bush and so on..
Beats me why so many set up their tent in the rain for the first time during a hike.
How about the next time it rains you go out and find some space to set it up and see how you get on ?

But again there is a very large gap in weight between heavy and UL with lots of nice workable solutions in between.

bear bag hanger
10-02-2012, 10:16
I met a young guy doing the whole East Coast Trail (included the AT) back in 2003 in Florida. He was going ultra light and they found him in northern Alabama frozen and near death. He was in a comma for three months, but has fully recovered. Saw him again in 2004 doing the same trail, but that time he had a 45 lb pack. If your thinking of going UL in cold weather, I think you need to be able to answer a few questions about your ability to find shelter in cold, rainy nights. While walking down any given trail, can you reliably point to the best camping option for putting up your tarp at any time? Do you know how to read the wind so you can find the sheltered side of a mountain? Can you read the clouds, so a wind shift will not be a surprise to you after sunset? If these answers don't come easy to you, then I'd recommend you not go ultra light.

jakedatc
10-02-2012, 11:03
Or, you can carry gear that is light and rated plenty cold enough.

ie when i get the chance i will be replacing my "20" degree REI sleeping bag for a 20 degree quilt that will have a higher % down insulation instead of zipper, extra fabric weight. increased insulation with .5lb decrease in weight.

Many aspects of UL hiking is eliminating gear that you do not need. This allows you to "spend" your weight on items that are necessary.

Wolf - 23000
10-02-2012, 11:13
I met a young guy doing the whole East Coast Trail (included the AT) back in 2003 in Florida. He was going ultra light and they found him in northern Alabama frozen and near death. He was in a comma for three months, but has fully recovered. Saw him again in 2004 doing the same trail, but that time he had a 45 lb pack. If your thinking of going UL in cold weather, I think you need to be able to answer a few questions about your ability to find shelter in cold, rainy nights. While walking down any given trail, can you reliably point to the best camping option for putting up your tarp at any time? Do you know how to read the wind so you can find the sheltered side of a mountain? Can you read the clouds, so a wind shift will not be a surprise to you after sunset? If these answers don't come easy to you, then I'd recommend you not go ultra light.

bear bag hanger,

Your point is well made. I too have seen a lot of hikers who have gotten themselves in trouble because they were simple unprepaired. The same equipment to one hiker may work fine but to someone who has less experience could run into trouble. I know some hikers here don't like the fact that I don't believe in advertising my gear list. All well. They will get over it but for many hikers starting off to try hiking with a 1 - 3 pound gear base weight might cause those same hikers to have a very rough few days.

Wolf

hikedit
10-06-2012, 20:45
Would not consider going back UL-all the way

Seldomseen
10-13-2012, 20:53
30. Pounds with a weeks worth of food is perfect for me. 40 in the winter.

Seldomseen
10-13-2012, 20:54
25 in summer with a weeks food.