PDA

View Full Version : Pad pairing for quilters?

09-26-2012, 18:28
I finally took the plunge into the UL realm in the last few months and started reforming my pack, most recently it was purchasing a 20* Revelation X. The problem I'm having now is whether I should change out my sleeping pad as well.

Without starting a gram weenie war, what are some good quality sleeping pads that wont break my back (weight as well as comfort)?

(I currently have a Thermarest Trail Scout M)

Rocket Jones
09-26-2012, 19:16
I use a NeoAir Trekker. Love it. In the winter I add a blue foam pad on top, but at some point want to get a Gossamer Gear thinlight pad to replace the blue foam.

Gillum
09-26-2012, 19:20
Just got the same quilt a few weeks ago and have a few 40-44F degree nights while using a 60" Big Agnes manual inflatable ($59 @ EMS, sorry don't know the model at this time). Found it to be comfortable and not cold though I believe the "R" value is quite poor.
PS...I love my Revolution X

jeffmeh
09-27-2012, 06:30
Exped Synmat UL7. Add a Gossamer Gear 1/8" foam pad for some backup in case of a leak and to add some R-value when it is particularly cold.

Drybones
09-27-2012, 15:50
Exped Synmat UL7. Add a Gossamer Gear 1/8" foam pad for some backup in case of a leak and to add some R-value when it is particularly cold.

I use the Exped synmat UL7 also and really like it, weighs 16 oz, expensive at $155. Dont know the R value off hand but Backpacker Magazine tested it and said it was good to 15 degrees on snow?? I have a BA Insulated Air Core that's similar but weighs a little more and has stiffer material and noisier, I use it on short trips to save wear and tear on the Exped, got it on sale for around $45.

garlic08
09-27-2012, 18:30
I say it depends on what ground surface you're planning to sleep on. I just took my inaugural trip with a quilt, also an EE Revelation X by the way (30F), and did just fine with an old Z-rest. But I did not sleep on any concrete or plank floors, or snow or ice. I made a little extra effort each night to find a soft place to camp. Many nights I found soft leaf duff and didn't even need the pad. If I were planning on sleeping in shelters on the AT, starting in February or something like that, I'd take a lot more pad.

It was two month trip. I absolutely love the quilt. It's my best gear purchase since my first Henry Shires Tarptent.

mediauras
09-28-2012, 00:30
Sorry for drift, but garlic08, what do you love about the quilt? Considering making that move soon too.

mediauras
09-28-2012, 00:33
To stay on topic (how do you edit your own posts), check out new thin foam pads at lawsonequipment.com. 1/8" evazote, great price. Looks like a solid piece for adding a second layer, unless you really want to sleep on a 1/8 pad.

jeffmeh
09-28-2012, 09:25
I use the Exped synmat UL7 also and really like it, weighs 16 oz, expensive at $155. Dont know the R value off hand but Backpacker Magazine tested it and said it was good to 15 degrees on snow?? I have a BA Insulated Air Core that's similar but weighs a little more and has stiffer material and noisier, I use it on short trips to save wear and tear on the Exped, got it on sale for around $45.

The UL7 has an R-value of 3.1.

garlic08
09-28-2012, 13:03
Sorry for drift, but garlic08, what do you love about the quilt? Considering making that move soon too.

Drift on: 1) One of the best things about the quilt is it stayed clean through a hot, sweaty summer of camping since I never actually slept on it. No need to wash it after a hot summer. 2) It was just the right length to pull over my head when it got cold, and the footbox zipper and attached drawstrings and snaps worked perfectly to make the quilt pretty close to a mummy bag when I needed it. I used it down to its temp rating in wet snow for the first week of the trip and was very pleased with how well I slept. 3) The smaller size allowed me to use a smaller pack, thus saving even more weight. 4) It's a good value for the money. Drift off.

garlic08
09-28-2012, 13:04
To stay on topic (how do you edit your own posts)...

You need to donate to the site to edit.

mediauras
09-28-2012, 14:05
Thanks on both accounts garlic08. Had no idea about donating to the site and earning extra functionality.

trapper
10-02-2012, 11:13
i have the newest neo. i think its xlite?? full side pad 9oz...i have 20 nights on it no probs with it...super small and crazy light...expensive but worth it imo

skinewmexico
10-02-2012, 11:23

Plus 1. I actually got my Exped from a New Zealand company (Bivouac Outdoors) on sale, with free shipping. Got it here faster, and cheaper, than REI.