PDA

View Full Version : hennessy hammocks bottom entrance vs side entrance

jalbright79
09-26-2012, 21:50
I am considering purchasing the ultralight hennessy hammock. But not sure if I should get the one with bottom entrance or side entrance.
Allthough the bottom entrance looks very cool and convenient and has the wow facter. I worry that once you try to exit everything will want fall out sleeping bag, insulation etc. Has anyone had any experience with these hammocks especially with bottom entrance ones?

Northern Lights
09-26-2012, 22:19
No experience with bottom entry, but I really like my side entry HH

Wise Old Owl
09-26-2012, 22:54
NO brainer, everyone has a side enter - and it only takes once.... and you end up upside down in a burrito..... Bottom is Kulll!

Kibble n Bit
09-26-2012, 23:00
No experience with bottom entry, but I really like my side entry HH

+ 1 on the side entry...love mine

kayak karl
09-26-2012, 23:23
my son loves the bottom entry. i had a 3/4 zipper mod put on both of mine. all 3 i have were both bought before the side entry was offered.

leaftye
09-27-2012, 00:01
Bottom entry is a hassle if you're using a pad instead of an underquilt. I imagine an underquilt for a bottom entry hammock would be more complicated and expensive.

psyculman
09-27-2012, 06:12
You won't fall out, your weight is centered above the opening. Bottom entry = weather protection, warm dry place to dress and put on boots, less insects when entering/exiting. If the hammock is hung a little lower at the head end, stuff does not slide down. The opening has velcro, you won't fall out. (did I mention it's always dry inside?)

yellowsirocco
09-27-2012, 06:27
Bottom entry is a hassle if you're using a pad instead of an underquilt. I imagine an underquilt for a bottom entry hammock would be more complicated and expensive.

This right here is the deadly blow aginst bottom entry. I have a bottom entry from back in the day before side entry. I would gladly swap it out for a side entry. On the other hand when I set up my hammock in the park for a nap, bottom entry is pretty cool. It is completely impractical though.

bear bag hanger
09-27-2012, 06:49
I started out with a bottom entry HH before there was anything else available. It worked, but all my other hammocks are side entry and I feel they are better and more comfortable.

jalbright79
09-27-2012, 15:58
You won't fall out, your weight is centered above the opening. Bottom entry = weather protection, warm dry place to dress and put on boots, less insects when entering/exiting. If the hammock is hung a little lower at the head end, stuff does not slide down. The opening has velcro, you won't fall out. (did I mention it's always dry inside?)

I am not concerned with me falling out the bottom. I am more concerned with all my gear falling out once I try to exit. Also the difficulty of exiting through the bottom once my gear is inside....maybe to get up to use bathroom

kayak karl
09-27-2012, 16:19
i think you just answered your own question :) get the side zip entry.

Hairbear
09-27-2012, 21:35
i started out with a bottom entry hh survivor,its great when warm weather is here i liked the fast exit.the thing that is a magor cramp in the keester when it gets cold is you fight everything in the hammock getting in or out. i now have a side entry in wbbb the difference is amazing in the way of convienience.go side entry or you will wish you were double jointed in the knees so you could kick your own azz harder.

DaleW
09-28-2012, 11:43
I prefer the zip model. It is easy to enter and exit and arrange sleeping gear. I can unzip and throw the screen back for more airflow or to adjust my undercover and underquilt. Nice for a quick seat too.

bannerstone
09-28-2012, 12:54
If you're using an under quilt, a side entry allows you to reach out and move your quilt around much easier.

David

Deadeye
09-29-2012, 00:18
I like the bottom entry (that's what she said). I think it works better than a side entry if you're a pad user- easier to position the pad as you get in. Never had anything fall out while I was getting in or out.

Strategic
09-29-2012, 19:04
It's not a problem at all. I have the HH Hyperlight (the even lighter-weight model than the Ultralight) and my gear never falls out. Basically, any weight in the hammock automatically pulls the entrance closed unless you keep it open. Your gear won't follow you out. I tend to hang most of my gear (all the smaller stuff) from the ridgeline anyway, which keeps the little stuff from getting in your way whether you're getting in and out or just laying in it.

I've found the bottom entry to be very handy in virtually every way. For instance, the whole "getting up to use the bathroom" thing is way easier than it would seem, since you can just pop the seam and hang your feet down to put on camp shoes or boots without ever touching the ground until you're ready to.

Slo-go'en
09-29-2012, 21:57
I also had a bottom entry HH and it soured me on using hammocks. It looked like a really neat idea, but in practice it left a lot to be desired. Getting in and out of it was indeed easy, everything else about it wasn't. Should I ever desire to try a hammock again (which is doubtful) I would definately go with a side entrance.

LadybugPicnic
09-30-2012, 10:10
My first hammock was the HH Hyperlite bottom entry (a.k.a., the "birth canal") - hated it. I then switched to the side entry and love it! It is way more convenient to enter/exit plus if I do not feel like using the bug shield, I can just leave it unzipped. I have never fell out of it and I find it way more convenient to exit and enter.

Wise Old Owl
09-30-2012, 10:40
Well if I thought it was a "birth canal" I would hate it too. When you paint that kind of picture, you are psyc-ing yourself out of something...

RichardD
09-30-2012, 10:49
I have a Hennessey Explorer ultralight that came with bottom entry, after a year or so I had the zip mod done so now have a hammock with side or bottom entry. Last Summer I used my hammock for my thru and not once did I use the bottom entry. Side entry clearly was the best option for me. The bigest advantage for me was being able to reach out of the hammock to adjust underquilt or reach my drinking bottle.

Rain Man
09-30-2012, 12:19
I am more concerned with all my gear falling out once I try to exit. Also the difficulty of exiting through the bottom once my gear is inside....maybe to get up to use bathroom

This is a problem no matter what. I have a bottom-entry HH from before the days when they came with side zippers. I had 2Q2Z do a zipper modification on mine, so now it's both bottom and side entry. I never use the bottom entry any more.

However, stuff still falls out, maybe even worse, when I exit or enter or just sit on the edge of the hammock. It forms a big, slick "funnel" that leads straight to the side I sit on. My pillow falls out. My jacket falls out. Socks. Etc. I recall that hardly ever happening with the bottom entry, maybe because I "clog up" that hole with my body.

Rain Man

toegem
10-01-2012, 08:09
I have one of the old HH 2.5 I've never tried a side entrance so I could not tell you which one I thought was the Best I just know that I've never had any issues with the bottom entrance. I felt that it was great for stripping mosquitos off here in Fl when entering thru the bottom.

LadybugPicnic
10-01-2012, 10:20
Well if I thought it was a "birth canal" I would hate it too. When you paint that kind of picture, you are psyc-ing yourself out of something...

I did not psych myself out of using it - I actually did buy it and use it. I never liked the bottom entry/exit and as a joke, that is the nickname I gave it. I could have not given it a nickname at all or painted any kind of picture and I STILL would have hated it. I just didn't care for it is all - everyone has their own preference and mine is the side entry. For me, it just works.

ocourse
10-01-2012, 18:01
I have the standard bottom entry, along with a side zipper mod. I enter/exit the hammock exclusively with the bottom slit. I use the side zipper to place my sleeping bag and the survival and valuable stuff I sleep with, and to (from outside) to get to the camera, light, etc. I use the ridge line to hang stuff, so nothing falls out the bottom.

bear bag hanger
10-02-2012, 09:56
I started out with a bottom entry HH before there was anything else available. It worked, but all my other hammocks are side entry and I feel they are better and more comfortable.
Some additional advise I'd add is the bottom entry won't allow you to use the hammock as a chair. But, if you do use it as a chair, you should try to get side zippers on both sides. If you only have a zipper on one side, that side will stretch out and the hammock may become uncomfortable.

jalbright79
10-08-2012, 00:05
http://hennessyhammock.com/ in this video he uses it as a chair

"Atlas"
10-14-2012, 12:16
I am not concerned with me falling out the bottom. I am more concerned with all my gear falling out once I try to exit. Also the difficulty of exiting through the bottom once my gear is inside....maybe to get up to use bathroom

GUYS, we are missing this posters real thoughts.....YOU DONT bring your gear inside the Hammock, you leave it under your hammock. Sure you can bring in a book or something small, but you are not going to bring your stuff inside with you like a tent. So in that regards it doesnt matter if you have a bottom or side opening.

Bottom opening is what I have. I have slept in a side opening, and it really doesnt affect the hammock or sleeping.

msupple
10-14-2012, 13:13
I wouldn't even consider a "birth canal" hammock. Just to lounge in it in chair mode you have to flip the thing completely upside down because of the sewn in netting. Who wants to do that? You want to heat up some coffee while in your hammock....you can't do that in a bottom entry. Forgot something outside your hammock....big hassle in a bottom entry. And the list goes on....get a side zippered entry....you'll be much happier.

Dogwood
10-14-2012, 14:00
I have had both in the UL and MUCH MUCH prefer the side entry with the zippered bug entry. The side entry makes it much easier to enter and leave the hammock. It didn't happen very many times but yes I did lose gear out of the bottom(peapod) entry a few times. Much more flexibility and a less claustrophobic feeling with the side entry. Beware though I would advise you unzip the netting all the way open when exiting or entering from the side so you don't put un-needed stress on the zipper or zipper seam.

TheYoungOne
10-15-2012, 09:41
I wouldn't even consider a "birth canal" hammock. Just to lounge in it in chair mode you have to flip the thing completely upside down because of the sewn in netting. Who wants to do that? You want to heat up some coffee while in your hammock....you can't do that in a bottom entry. Forgot something outside your hammock....big hassle in a bottom entry. And the list goes on....get a side zippered entry....you'll be much happier.

That is why if I was going to get a Hennessy I would get a side zip. Every other camping hammock like ENO, Warbonnet, and Clark has a side zipper. If there was an advantage to the birth canal others would have copied it. Also if you using a bottom entry hammock on a hot summer night with no pad and just wearing shorts, doesn't the velcro seam irritate your legs?

It annoys me that REI offers side zip on the hennessy standard models, but only carries the bottom entry on the "Big Boy" model. Damn my freakishly tall body.

scope
10-15-2012, 13:17
GUYS, we are missing this posters real thoughts.....YOU DONT bring your gear inside the Hammock, you leave it under your hammock. Sure you can bring in a book or something small, but you are not going to bring your stuff inside with you like a tent. So in that regards it doesnt matter if you have a bottom or side opening...

I don't think that's what the OP meant... I think he's using a pad and bag. My experience with that setup was that it was occasionally a problem, but its not like there's a hole in the bottom - its more like 1/3 of an end. Full length pads are a problem in any hammock and are especially so with the bottom entry - I used a Big Agnes petite which allowed my head and feet to hang off either end and that worked pretty well - also made for a flatter lay. Went to an UQ and had a problem with not being able to reach out and adjust due to the net, but that can be solved these days with some clips - or better yet, Dutchware! Or, get a zip mod.

I really, really, really liked getting in and out of the hammock at the ends, rather than ducking under the tarp to get in a top-loader - even if I am setup in porch mode. That end of the tarp entrance seemed much more natural to me. Obviously a lot of folks don't feel the same way. Guess the HH was my first setup and like a lot of firsts in life, you end up wishing things were more like what you remember with those initial memories.