PDA

View Full Version : Alum Cave Trail, hiking in the fall

safariman
09-27-2012, 05:40
hello everyone, im happy to say i finally get to go hike in the smokeys. i only have enough time to do a day hike so i figured alum cave would be a nice out and back. I was just wondering what kind of weather/wind conditions to expect in mid october? and how long does it usually take to reach the top? i was thinking between 3-5hrs.

thanks

Gray Blazer
09-27-2012, 07:44
As long as you are going, you should try to go up to LeConte. You would be more than halfway up anyways. I've done it up and back in a day. It's worth it.

moytoy
09-27-2012, 07:56
As long as you are going, you should try to go up to LeConte. You would be more than halfway up anyways. I've done it up and back in a day. It's worth it.

I'm assuming thats what the OP is doing since thats where the trail goes. It's an easy up and back and with a nice rest on top to see the views it's still only about 8 hours total. This time on year is perfect hiking weather but it's going to be busy with traffic. Hey GB we need to get together again for some Java:)

Gray Blazer
09-27-2012, 07:59
I'm assuming thats what the OP is doing since thats where the trail goes. It's an easy up and back and with a nice rest on top to see the views it's still only about 8 hours total. This time on year is perfect hiking weather but it's going to be busy with traffic. Hey GB we need to get together again for some Java:)

Call me............

safariman
09-27-2012, 19:51
8hrs is perfect, thanks for the quick response.

moytoy
09-27-2012, 22:16
safariman...Keep an eye out for the peregrine falcon pair that nest in the bluffs on the way to Leconte. These birds are quite active and it's not hard to spot them if they are hunting. It's been about 10 years since I was up that trail but I'm betting the birds are still there. Have fun!