PDA

View Full Version : Lance Creek Camping

Lori Domingo
09-27-2012, 10:03
I just completed the section between Springer and Neel Gap on 9/21/2012 to include camping at both Justis Creek and Lance Creek. All was well with the Justis Creek sites/water source. Lance Creek, however, is undergoing a shore restoration project and has the majority of the area roped off with no camping allowed. There were 3 sites available and the creek was running well enough for us to fill our water needs but could easily be dry depending on the weather. Just wanted to put out the campsite info for anyone considering an overnight at Lance Creek. It's a beautiful area just limited campsites available as of today's date.

Bear Cables
09-28-2012, 11:39
We hike this section last Oct. and Lance Creek was under restoration then. We camped in a very nice wide, flat area about .5 miles from the creek.

Razor
09-29-2012, 09:54
Lance Creek is a long term restoration project and will probably be roped off for another year. With that said ,I have seen 25-30 tents camped there. Plenty of room for the excess along the road bed . Also there is room up the road on a bluff. You must be creative in where you set up there though. This was a much used site during the thru season and will probably be used in like amounts this season. Just please ,if you do it don't make a lily(TP) field and remember to pack it in ---- pack it out!

Whack-a-mole
09-29-2012, 13:30
I have fond memories of Lance Creek. If you go down the road bed to the first tent pad, that 's where I got my trail name.

Lori Domingo
09-30-2012, 10:54
We chose the second tent pad long the road for our site. I saw multiple places were other campers had set up that are within the roped off areas. After our 10 mile jaunt from Justis Creek to Lance Creek, we did not venture any further in than the 3 tent pads you first come to. We were more than ready to take the load off! It was certainly a beautiful place to spend the night!

soulrebel
03-22-2013, 09:27
is this the same thing as slaughter gap campsite on the southside of blood mountain? Has it been renamed or moved? The only creeks in the area are blood mountain creek and slaughter gap creek. Lance Creek is all the way back near Springer Mountain in the Bull Mountain trail complex... Why would they use this name?

max patch
03-22-2013, 10:13
is this the same thing as slaughter gap campsite on the southside of blood mountain? Has it been renamed or moved? The only creeks in the area are blood mountain creek and slaughter gap creek. Lance Creek is all the way back near Springer Mountain in the Bull Mountain trail complex... Why would they use this name?

No, Lance Creek is a couple miles S of Jarrard Gap (about 4 miles S of Slaughter Creek campsites). Lance has gotten a lot of attention and use of last couple of years as it the best place to camp that is outside the bear cannister zone for NOBO thrus.

max patch
03-22-2013, 10:47
I can't answer why there are 2 Lance Creeks approx 20 miles apart. Probably the same reason there are 40 variations of Peachtree Street/Rd/Place/Industrial Blvd/etc in Atlanta.

Razor
03-23-2013, 07:43
Lance Creek is 3 miles north of Woody Gap at the bottom of Big Cedar.There is a good flowing creek you cross going north and then the road bed where the tent sites are located