PDA

View Full Version : Overnight parking in Harriman?

buff_jeff
09-27-2012, 21:02
Does anyone know of a generally safe place to park near Harriman for a weekend overnighter?

thanks!

Another Kevin
09-27-2012, 21:23
'Most anywhere - at least, I've never been bothered parking there. I've certainly parked overnight at Johnsontown Road, Elk Pen, and Sebago Beach without trouble. (I'm not sure that overnight parking at Tuxedo Station is lawful.) Sebago Beach was in the off season when they don't charge for parking there.

Where in the park are you looking to go?

hikerboy57
09-27-2012, 21:44
I'm not sure when you're thinking of going but local police have advised to stay out of Harriman right now they believe there is a local murderer hiding out somewhere up there. he's a former park ranger and said to be arms. you can google the story to get any updates. he's been hiding out for 3 days now.. except for that it safe to park just about anywhere in the park I've never had any issues. but seriously get updated on this manhunt before you go in there.

LionDog
09-27-2012, 22:03
Was planning a hike around the park this weekend and heard this news.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/27/nyregion/police-search-harriman-state-park-in-hunt-for-eugene-palmer.html?_r=0

I still want to go because its been such a long wait to finally get out and hike and now this sad turn of events.

Would you still go or plan another time?

Hoping he is caught by tomorrow or starved to death or something.

hikerboy57
09-27-2012, 22:20
I would stay out of the park for the time being. he is an experienced outdoorsman and heavily armed.
maybe go up to mohonk or minnewaska instead.

buff_jeff
09-27-2012, 22:20
Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm actually helping a buddy out who asked for a safe place to park up there. I'm going to advise he not go in light of the armed murderer. :(

At least I can throw him some options going forward!

HikerMom58
09-27-2012, 22:26
Hikerboy... u are good. :) I was going to ask you for the latest news .....not found yet:eek:

LionDog
09-27-2012, 22:28
I would stay out of the park for the time being. he is an experienced outdoorsman and heavily armed.
maybe go up to mohonk or minnewaska instead.

Sounds Advice Thanks

hikerboy57
09-28-2012, 07:54
as of this morning, haverstraw police have called off the manhunt, hoping the 73 yr old diabetic will walk out on his own and turn himself in.
id stay away from harriman until its resolved.

HikerMom58
09-28-2012, 09:26
^ I wish WB had a "like" button ^ It would save me a lot of time... LOL!!

LionDog
10-01-2012, 22:03
Well couldn't stay off the trail, hiked some of Harriman this past weekend , checked out the lemon squeezer, lot of fun. Many hikers in the park, no sign was posted at the elk pen trail head to advise anyone of EP aka Eugene Palmer, until about 5 mins upon our arivial , when it was nailed to the post. I thought that might of been a sign and my faith was sealed, but all went well. There was about 15 hikers staying in and around fingerboard shelter. Was a great hiking weekend and well worth the risk.