PDA

View Full Version : Advice on external frame

chiefduffy
09-28-2012, 09:50
It seems I will be carrying 40+ lbs in the near future, for reasons I won't go into. I normally carry a Mariposa or ULA Catalyst, but looking for a pack to carry more weight. I carried lots of weight in the '70s on external frames, and wouldn't mind going back to one. Not espcially interested in LuxuryLight ($$$$$). Suggestions?

Gray Blazer
09-28-2012, 09:55
It seems I will be carrying 40+ lbs in the near future, for reasons I won't go into. I normally carry a Mariposa or ULA Catalyst, but looking for a pack to carry more weight. I carried lots of weight in the '70s on external frames, and wouldn't mind going back to one. Not espcially interested in LuxuryLight ($$$$$). Suggestions?

You can borrow my Jansport. You know you can load at least 90 lbs on it.

atmilkman
09-28-2012, 09:56
Take a look at the Kelty Trekker. I have one and really like it for the heavy loads. (luxury hikes) I have a ULA Circuit also for distance hikes. Someone else mentioned the Jansport D2 in another thread that looks like it could carry a ton comfortably.

chiefduffy
09-28-2012, 09:59
"You know you can load at least 90 lbs on it."

Ah yes, how could I ever forget!!
I'm hoping someone is manufacturing a nice, relatively small, lightweight EF these days. I have no idea what's on the market.

jakedatc
09-28-2012, 10:35
http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_blast.shtml

jburgasser
09-28-2012, 12:34
+1 on the Kelty Trekker. Own one myself and works great.

Ickybod

Tom Murphy
09-28-2012, 12:36
+1 for kelty trekker

I have the old SCOUT model that works well when I am carrying all the common equipment for my family.

Moose2001
09-28-2012, 12:42
you could also look around for a used Gregory Lassen or Whitney pack. Double stays that will easily carry 40+ pounds!

Ender
09-28-2012, 13:34
I have a much, much, much older version of this pack:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___90387
I'm not sure if this new pack is descended from or inspired by my old pack, but it's the same idea; a plastic frame external. I love that old pack... the plastic frame flexes just enough to have it carry a little more comfortably. It's a super comfy pack to carry, and I imagine this new one is similar in that regard. Weight isn't bad either.

I also have a LuxuryLite pack, and that thing is very comfortable, though the frame doesn't flex like the one above would. The LL is a lot lighter weight though.

Feral Bill
09-28-2012, 13:50
See Ebay for many used externals. Campmor for new.

skinewmexico
09-28-2012, 15:06
I'd take a used Jansport D5 over anything currently on the market.

chiefduffy
09-29-2012, 05:56
Thanks for the replies! Lots of good suggestions here. Stumbled across the Jansport Carson, which looks good in the pictures(if you cut off the side pockets), I but haven't made up my mind yet. I am considering buying a used frame and making my own pack from modern materials to ride on it. Will definitely look into the plastic frame externals!

russb
09-29-2012, 06:19
Garage or estate sales are a good place to find them. I have gotten quite a few in really good shape for $5-10. I give them to people who are just getting started. The externals are more forgiving for how one packs their load, allow better ventilation for ones back than almost all internals, they are not as heavy as some might think. I have one old external from my days back in the 70's which is under 3lbs. With the L-shaped aluminum frame, it makes a great chair too. The frame also allows one to really tie down the load; to compress it, keep it from shifting and to move the center of mass closer to ones back. While I usually am using a different pack, my external does get use and has many advantages over my others for certain trips, and not just because it can handle a heavier load.

russb
09-29-2012, 06:24
I have never been a fan of the plastic external frames. In fact, I my experience with them is so bad I loathe them. I have seen them break, split etc... winter is especially bad. Apparently others have had different experiences with them. The reasons I use externals on some trips require the type of frame provided by the aluminum tubing. So it is a right tool for the job type of thing.

Lyle
09-29-2012, 07:01
I have never been a fan of the plastic external frames. In fact, I my experience with them is so bad I loathe them. I have seen them break, split etc... winter is especially bad. Apparently others have had different experiences with them. The reasons I use externals on some trips require the type of frame provided by the aluminum tubing. So it is a right tool for the job type of thing.

Smiled when I saw this. I had no personal experience with them (I used a Kelty Tioga back in "the day"), but a friend of mine was sponsored by Coleman Peak 1 on a cross-country backpacking trip in the early 80's. They used his photo and story for advertising later. They were always careful in the ads to say that Phil carried "a" Peak 1 pack the entire way. They never hinted at the fact that he actually used 4 or 5 different packs because the adjustable straps always pulled through the holes in the frame.

I'm sure they're great for typical backpacking use, but long-distance, hard core may not be their sweet spot.

My vote would be Kelty or Jansport. GREAT packs. Just have to watch how strong the back bag is if you go with used. They do deteriorate and weaken with exposure to ultraviolet light (sunlight).

lemon b
09-29-2012, 07:02
What I used for years was a Kelty Super Tioga. Only bothersome thing was those wire rods that run on both sides. I ended up cutting them off just below the clips. The pack is a beast. Never had a lack of room problem. Once in awhile as can be expected the top of the frame banged off overhangs. The hipbelt was nice. I pawned it off on one of my kids.

Nice pack for a young back.

Lyle
09-29-2012, 07:03
Just wanted to add, Phil's experience was when the Peak 1 pack was first introduced, perhaps they improved over time in some way. First impressions, however ...

atmilkman
09-29-2012, 07:13
Smiled when I saw this. I had no personal experience with them (I used a Kelty Tioga back in "the day"), but a friend of mine was sponsored by Coleman Peak 1 on a cross-country backpacking trip in the early 80's. They used his photo and story for advertising later. They were always careful in the ads to say that Phil carried "a" Peak 1 pack the entire way. They never hinted at the fact that he actually used 4 or 5 different packs because the adjustable straps always pulled through the holes in the frame.

I'm sure they're great for typical backpacking use, but long-distance, hard core may not be their sweet spot.

My vote would be Kelty or Jansport. GREAT packs. Just have to watch how strong the back bag is if you go with used. They do deteriorate and weaken with exposure to ultraviolet light (sunlight).
You gotta love "commercial" wording. Kinda like the 5 hour energy drink interviewing 3000 doctors. Is the 5 hour energy drink for you? Ask your doctor. We asked 3000. WOW! 3000! WOW! The 5 hour energy drink has to be for me!

perrymk
09-29-2012, 07:28
I have one old external from my days back in the 70's which is under 3lbs.
Would it be possible for you to post some info (brand, model) about your pack? A photo would be great too.

Thanks.

squirrel bait
09-29-2012, 08:11
Another vote for an external, got mine right here on WB, it's a Kelty and it's blue. It survived being flooded by Hurricane Irene, just hosed it off with a slight bleach solution and was good to go. Bomb proof. And for AT, listen to the 5 hour energy commercial where they say of those 3 thousand doctors, "of the ones that responded 73 percent said" wow so how many responded wow.

russb
09-29-2012, 08:19
Would it be possible for you to post some info (brand, model) about your pack? A photo would be great too.

Thanks.

It is a Mont Blanc. Here is an ebay link for one that sold. I will try to find a photo of mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Vintage-World-Famous-Mont-Blanc-7-Pouch-External-Frame-Backpack-238-/140736439115

chiefduffy
09-29-2012, 08:42
Amazing what is on ebay. 8 Terraplanes and 4 Alpenlites. 240 externals. Unreal...

perrymk
09-29-2012, 08:59
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Vintage-World-Famous-Mont-Blanc-7-Pouch-External-Frame-Backpack-238-/140736439115

Excellent. Thank you.

Wise Old Owl
09-29-2012, 10:57
Hey hello - top quality metal frame is still here.... ya all looking at what plastic? did you forget what hunters use in Alaska? watch out for sticker shock -built to last a lifetime.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=frame+pack&x=0&y=0&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

skinewmexico
09-29-2012, 11:24
Alpenlite's were awesome. Those and some of the Jansports with the hip belt wings transferred weight like nothing else, before or since.

CrumbSnatcher
09-29-2012, 15:06
Dick Kelty is considered the inventor of the aluminum framed backpack.(early 50's)
always enjoyed my kelty super tioga's & will continue to use them til i take my dirt nap :-)

CrumbSnatcher
09-29-2012, 15:16
Dick Kelty is considered the inventor of the aluminum framed backpack.(early 50's)
always enjoyed my kelty super tioga's & will continue to use them til i take my dirt nap :-)

i thru'd with a kelty 50th year anniversary pack one year, and i have a dana designs k2 shortbed with a few miles on it. but the super tioga is my go to pack!

Double Wide
09-30-2012, 18:53
I have the JanSport Carson and I really dig it. It'll haul a load and it's very comfy--much more comfortable than any internal frame pack I've ever tried. If you have narrow shoulders, however, you have to be careful of getting snagged by low-hanging branches, that's my only caveat. I have pretty broad shoulders, so it's not much of an issue, although I got horse-collared on a downhill one time. And I actually like the external side pockets.

Tipi Walter
09-30-2012, 21:14
What I used for years was a Kelty Super Tioga. Only bothersome thing was those wire rods that run on both sides. I ended up cutting them off just below the clips. The pack is a beast. Never had a lack of room problem. Once in awhile as can be expected the top of the frame banged off overhangs. The hipbelt was nice. I pawned it off on one of my kids.

Nice pack for a young back.

Everybody talks about the Super Tioga but few ever mention the Kelty Ultra Tioga. But anything over 70 lbs and the Kelty's balk and produce some severe hipbelt pain, at least for me.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2005/Nine-Days-With-Johnny-Be-Trip/i-3tTGgWx/0/L/45-35-jb-filterng-water-at-the-L.jpg

Here's an Ultra Tioga in action on the Nutbuster trail on the Upper Slickrock.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2005/Nine-Days-With-Johnny-Be-Trip/i-vvJMDvt/0/L/45-25-jb-crossing-the-L.jpg

Here's another shot of the Ultra Tioga in action on a creek crossing.

Tipi Walter
09-30-2012, 21:24
i thru'd with a kelty 50th year anniversary pack one year, and i have a dana designs k2 shortbed with a few miles on it. but the super tioga is my go to pack!

I had a Kelty 50th for awhile and souvenired it to a buddy who used it on several TN backpacking trips, as below.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/7/8/7/4/trip_113_339.jpg

Here's Hootyhoo on the Brookshire Creek/BMT trail.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/7/8/7/4/trip_114_547.jpg

And then of course there's an old outstanding external pack made in the early 1980's called the Back Magic by North Face. It was my main pack and home and Top Ruck for 21 years until I got into Dana Designs and Mystery Ranch internals.

coach lou
09-30-2012, 21:33
My Super Tioga gets used once in a while. I'd like to get a new hip belt for it, I'd probably use it more.