PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Costs on the trail

special
09-28-2012, 13:07
There are many ways to save money even on things that are needed. I am not needing help on what is needed equipment wise, just what costs are there on the trail that you cannot avoid. My SOBO trip will start in late Oct.

Thus far I know of -
Baxter State Park - $14 entry fee per day
Kennebec River - $50 per crossing up to 2 people.

What other non avoidable fees do you know of?

yellowsirocco
09-28-2012, 14:02
Baxter Park is 14 for an out of state car, but most thru hikers take a shuttle with maine plates so it is free. You do have to pay for your campsite though.

moldy
09-28-2012, 14:24
The MATC and the Appalachian Trail Conference have contracted with David P. Corrigan of Fletcher Mountain Outfitters to provide a scheduled ferry service across the Kennebec River at the A.T. crossing at no cost to hikers.

fredmugs
09-28-2012, 14:28
In a pure business school sense there are no fixed costs on the trail. You can avoid every place that charges and you can live off the land if you know how.

special
09-28-2012, 14:43
This is only true while in "ferrying" season. I will be leaving late OCT, which will put me by the Kennebec after their season, thusly $50 a ferry.

special
09-28-2012, 14:44
I am out of state. But how much does the shuttle cost? cheaper than 14?

hikerboy57
09-28-2012, 15:08
these are curious questions. what about bus fare?transportation and shuttle costs can vary quite a bit. suffice to say the average thru hike costs between $3-4k.will you be stopping in towns along the way? motels?hostels? amc tentsites in NH and ME charge an overnight fee as well. RmC sites in the whites also charge a fee.
if you're worried about $14, you dont have enough money to thru hike.

yellowsirocco
09-28-2012, 16:29
I am out of state. But how much does the shuttle cost? cheaper than 14?

No buddy, much more. If you do the package at the AT Lodge it is 70 bucks and that includes a night in town. How are you planning on getting to the trail head?

Lone Wolf
09-28-2012, 19:16
you can ford the river early in the AM

Slo-go'en
09-28-2012, 20:04
This guy thinks he's going to start a SOBO hike in late October - all he needs is bus fare home about a week later...

hikerboy57
09-28-2012, 21:00
This guy thinks he's going to start a SOBO hike in late October - all he needs is bus fare home about a week later...

Well it seemed like a good idea at the time.

SNAX
09-28-2012, 22:23
Baxter Park is 14 for an out of state car, but most thru hikers take a shuttle with maine plates so it is free. You do have to pay for your campsite though.

Getting to the park in Late October, nobody will be driving into the park at all. It closes the 15th, I believe. You'll have to go in and out in a day via Abol Bridge. Over a 20 mile day.

SNAX
09-28-2012, 22:37
[QUOTE=SNAX;1343073]Getting to the park in Late October, nobody will be driving into the park at all. It closes the 15th, I believe. You'll have to go in and out in a day via Abol Bridge. Over a 20 mile day.[/QOUTE]

Correction. After the 15th you may not camp in the park, but it appears day use is still open.

swjohnsey
09-28-2012, 23:05
In a pure business school sense there are no fixed costs on the trail. You can avoid every place that charges and you can live off the land if you know how.

B.S. Jesus couldn't live off most of the land the AT goes through.

SNAX
09-28-2012, 23:37
Also, by the time he reaches the Whites the backcountry sites won't have a caretaker around so they'll be free.

And the only huts open after mid-October will be Carter Notch, Zealand, and Lonesome Lake. They are "self-serve" at that time, meaning guests cook their own meals using the hut's utensils. Because of this, I doubt work-for-stay will be available. Good news here is, the rates to stay are cheaper at 25 weekday and 39 weekend. If you don't want to stay at them, they're easily avoided with some planning.

Tricky thing with the huts closed, is the traverse over the Presidentials will be a long day above treeline from Pinkham Notch/Osgood tentsite to Nauman tentsite/Crawford Notch. Which, in November could either be great day or potentially life-threatening in the wrong conditions. Keep in mind, come November the summit buildings on Washington will be closed too.

With all that said, Impossible is Nothing. I just hope I don't read about you in the Union Leader here in NH as another miss-guided out-of-stater who didn't give the mountains proper respect and got into trouble/killed in the Whites. November is a fickle bitch for hiking around here.

Razor
09-29-2012, 09:33
All this is speculation ----No one can hike Maine that time of year --probably be reading about some poor schmuck that died in one of the Maine rags--- lets hope the first water crossing will change hs mind and he gets out before serious trouble befalls him

Slo-go'en
09-29-2012, 10:11
When someone says they plan on starting a SOBO in late October, one has to wonder if they have any idea what thier getting into? Money is the very least of one's worries. All that water I saw running down over the rocks and ledges I had to climb over the last few days will be ice soon. Indications are this could shape up to be another harsh winter in the North East.

If "Special" really wants to start a long distance hike in late October, it would be well advised to do so starting well south of Maine. Mass would be about as far north as I'd want to be then.