PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 2.5/3 day suggestion GHSP or SNP

Pumba
09-28-2012, 16:40
Next weekend I was able to get off from work, so id' like to take a hike either in the Grayson Highlands or SNP. It's a four hour drive to either place, so the first day would have to be just a half day. I'm looking for a loop or an in/out hike of easy to moderate difficulty. They don't have to be high mileage, in fact, I wouldn't mind sleeping in and just relaxing a bit either before camp or in the morning. I've travelled north on the AT from Massey Gap several months ago. I was hoping to get a bit of early fall foliage in, so I'm leaning toward SNP in that respect.

So, what would be your suggestions?

Thanks!

Many Moons
09-28-2012, 16:53
Next weekend I was able to get off from work, so id' like to take a hike either in the Grayson Highlands or SNP. It's a four hour drive to either place, so the first day would have to be just a half day. I'm looking for a loop or an in/out hike of easy to moderate difficulty. They don't have to be high mileage, in fact, I wouldn't mind sleeping in and just relaxing a bit either before camp or in the morning. I've travelled north on the AT from Massey Gap several months ago. I was hoping to get a bit of early fall foliage in, so I'm leaning toward SNP in that respect.

So, what would be your suggestions?

Thanks!

I live off Ligon Mill Road in WF. I am new to hiking and really only know the hikers that I met on the trail this year. Cool to see another hiker so local. Hike On!!!

Miller

Pumba
09-28-2012, 23:35
Wow, that is close. Hello neighbour!

johnnybgood
09-29-2012, 15:25
Since you are coming from the south I'll steer you to the southern section of Shenandoah. The Furnance Mt./Trayfoot Mt. loop hike is 20.6 miles and can be covered in 2 and half days and is of moderate difficulty.
This loop starts by hiking the AT north from the Jones Run parking area. From the Rockfish Gap entrance go north about 21 miles to Jones Run parking.

1ST DAY- Hiking north on the AT till you reach a split in the trail at around 2 miles, take the Big Loop Trail on the left . Then hike until reaching the Austin Mountain Trail,go left and continue on as you descend sharply into the Madison Run watershed. Campsites are both upstream and downstream.

2ND DAY- Start by walking downstream on the Madison Fire Road until reaching Furnance Mt. Trail, go left and start ascending up and over Furnance Mountain which will begin your biggest climb of the trip. Turn right onto Trayfoot Mountain Trail and continue climbing. From there you descend down into Paine Hollow along a stream of the same name and start looking for campsites.

3RD DAY-Start by hiking north on the Paine Run Trail as you climb up to Blackrock Gap,cross the Skyline Drive and turn left onto the AT where you'll begin a long steady climb of just under a mile to Blackrock Summit. Continue north on the AT back to Jones Run parking area to close the loop at 20 miles.

Many Moons
09-29-2012, 19:49
Wow, that is close. Hello neighbour!

Chesterfield Village if you know where that is. Hike On!!!

Miller