PDA

View Full Version : Baxter on Monday/Tuesday

grizzlyadam
09-28-2012, 18:26
I'm trying to work out some last minute travel details from North Carolina...

Heading to Maine either Monday or Tuesday and am trying to work out the logistics of getting to Baxter. I can fly into Portland or Augusta or Bangor, but then the bus options to Medway don't seem to coincide with what I'm wanting to do.

My ideal plan is to camp out in the Roaring Brook Campground whichever night I get there and cross the Knife Edge the next morning by sunrise so I can start walking south.

Anyone heading that way from Anywhere in Maine (or anywhere along the East Coast) either of those days?

Thoughts/ideas/questions?

Thanks!

grizzlyadam
09-29-2012, 09:13
***bump***

Slo-go'en
09-29-2012, 10:49
You might have trouble with this plan. I belive you will need reservations to camp at Roaring brook and if you don't already have them, that could be a problem. Also, the weather went from the best fall has to offer to the worst it has to offer this weekend. When the next cold front pushes the rain out Sunday or Monday, there is a good chance there will be at least ice and possibly snow on Katahdin and the mountain closed.

Even if that doesn't happen, going up and over the mountain via the knife edge is not a good idea this time of year. This is best done in the middle of summer when you have pleanty of day light and know there is going to be good weather the whole time. This is a very long and difficult route to take.

grizzlyadam
09-29-2012, 11:06
I appreciate your concern about the Knife Edge route, but I am no stranger as to what it entails. Just as I am also familiar with camping at Roaring Brook and what the weather is like this time of year.

I did everything I have mentioned in October of 2003, 2004, and 2006.

Up and over Katahdin via the Lnife Edge isn't that difficult. I can do it and be camping near Abol Bridge by dusk.

I'm just trying to work out logistics of getting to Roaring Brook. Right now I'm looking at flying into Bangor and thumbing it the rest of the way.

Slo-go'en
09-29-2012, 17:14
Okay great. The weather forcast isn't encouraging for that hike this week, but you never know until you get there. It does look to be real iffy for the rest of the week. Maybe it will clear out by the time you get there via hitching. Sorry I can't be helpfull on how to get into the park. How did you do it the last 3 times?