PDA

View Full Version : Maine fall section hike = done!

Slo-go'en
09-28-2012, 19:57
Just back from 4 nights/5 days on the AT in Maine. SOBO, Sabbath day pond to Grafton Notch ~ 40 miles.

This is a great section of trail with a little bit of everything Maine has to offer. Often all in one day. As I had hoped, the colors were at peak and the views stunning. For those of you who have yet to experiance Maine in the fall, your missing out on some of the best (or some of the worst if the weather turns nasty) hiking the AT has to offer.

I met at least 50 NOBO's still stumbling thier way towards Katahdin. Many of them I had meet in Vermont over a month ago and had suggested they pick up the pace. Guess they didn't listen and now thier running out of time and good weather. Too bad.

jakedatc
09-29-2012, 07:37
Nice job Slo! too bad the nobo's didn't listen.. they are going to have to get real lucky now.

tdoczi
09-30-2012, 01:11
I met at least 50 NOBO's still stumbling thier way towards Katahdin. Many of them I had meet in Vermont over a month ago and had suggested they pick up the pace. Guess they didn't listen and now thier running out of time and good weather. Too bad.

i met a nobo in VT just outside of woodstock yesterday. said he was still planning on finishing and that he started in march. seemed a capable hiker, i dont know what his deal was. when i asked if he had gotten off the trail or something at some point he just said "no" and hiked off. weird.

Kerosene
09-30-2012, 16:26
I finished my NOBO section hike from Pinkham Notch to Rangeley last Saturday. I think I only encountered perhaps 20 NOBO thru-hikers, mostly at the White Mountains Lodge in Gorham. I was only averaging 11 mpd, but I think only one thru-hiker passed me. There was a lot of talk about picking up the pace, but I saw few adherents, which perhaps isn't surprising given that most of these folks had been on the trail for over 6 months already and were a bit burnt out. I encountered 5 SOBOs that had started from Katahdin in late August/early September, plus another half dozen flip-floppers.

From Grafton Notch to Rangeley (4 days; 47 miles) I only encountered 13 long distance backpackers on the trail, 4 of whom were NOBOs).

Oh, and I finally saw my moose! I heard one at 3 am splashing in the Little Swift River Pond but decided it wouldn't be a good idea to get up and shine a light on them. The next morning I came up over a little rise and just caught a bull moose crossing the trail. Huge animal.

johnnybgood
09-30-2012, 16:46
Coming down the home stretch Kerosene. Rangely to Katahdin is what--225 miles ? I'm sure it's a great feeling you're that close to finally summiting Katahdin.

woodsy
09-30-2012, 17:41
Oh, and I finally saw my moose! I heard one at 3 am splashing in the Little Swift River Pond but decided it wouldn't be a good idea to get up and shine a light on them. The next morning I came up over a little rise and just caught a bull moose crossing the trail. Huge animal.

Congrats on seeing a moose finally, and a bull !

mudhead
10-01-2012, 09:13
Puts the size in a different perspective when you see them on foot. Quick mover for such a gommy looking beast.

Did it walk right over small trees? I always get a charge out of that.

hikerboy57
10-01-2012, 15:13
moose hunts dont always turn out well

Driver8
10-01-2012, 18:23
Just back from 4 nights/5 days on the AT in Maine. SOBO, Sabbath day pond to Grafton Notch ~ 40 miles.

This is a great section of trail with a little bit of everything Maine has to offer. Often all in one day. As I had hoped, the colors were at peak and the views stunning. For those of you who have yet to experiance Maine in the fall, your missing out on some of the best (or some of the worst if the weather turns nasty) hiking the AT has to offer.

Thanks for reporting back, Slo, sounds like a nice hike. Did you post any pics?

Slo-go'en
10-01-2012, 19:34
Thanks for reporting back, Slo, sounds like a nice hike. Did you post any pics?

I suppose I should, got some good shots. Like the rainbow over Sabbath day pond which is also reflected in the pond. With the three days of rain and some wind we got this weekend, the leafs are thining out, so I definately had good timing. With more stormy weather on it's way, it will all be over soon...

jeffmeh
10-01-2012, 19:44
Glad you had a good trip and generally beat the rain. We drove up to Brunswick, ME on Friday night and back home Sunday, with a miserable, driving rain on both legs. Fortunately, Saturday was just "spitting."