PDA

View Full Version : How are your preparations going?

Giantsbane
09-28-2012, 22:52
I realized today that I have 6 months left until my hike. That's less time than I plan to be out in the woods! I have 90% of the gear I'm going to take with, I run 5 days a weeks with other cardio as well and very slowy saving my money. I was just wondering from the rest of the 2013 class; how are your preparations going? Has anyone dropped out yet?

Karma13
09-29-2012, 06:29
I'm sill in, although my start date is a moving target. :)

Got 99% of the gear, and I'm in the tweaking stage, trying different things to shave ounces. Every week I'm doing three 9-mile walk/hikes in the local park and one long day of hiking (6-8 hours). I'm planning to slowly increase those numbers to weight under my heaviest load. I'm also going to try building up to going up the steps in my house 50 times with a 30-pound pack, but I'm still trying to figure that one out. I don't want to actually use up my knees before March.

Nice thread. I'm so freaking excited! Ticking the days off a calendar.

yellowsirocco
09-29-2012, 08:19
Preparations A through G were a complete failure.....

SawnieRobertson
09-29-2012, 09:18
I am losing body weight, which is a BIG project but also a happy one. And I am going to The Gathering where I will hear from those who are currently hiking as well as others who have done the whole thing. Maybe I'll meet some others who are prepping for 2013.--Kinnickinic

SCGamecock
09-29-2012, 09:55
I'm still in too, though I'm nursing a ligament pull in my ankle from softball.
90% of my gear is bought, still trying to figure out my footwear. Currently trying some Salomon trail runners.
Weight calculations are around 17-18 pounds w/o food and water. Still hoping to find 1-2 lbs to cut.
My start date is still a moving target also.
Heard about the 2013 kickoff at Amicalola Falls State Park March 8-10. May attend that then hit the trail.
Still debating mail drops. Would be interested in input on mail drops from the 2013 class.
Still debating whether or not to go stove-less. Seems doable when you consider this is just a bunch of 3,4,5 day hikes.
Will be hitting the treadmill, stairs, bike hard once Winter closes me in up here which is right around the corner.
Unfortunately, I'm going to miss The Gathering, already paid for a spot, someone wants it...let me know.
Can't wait to get out there.

[email protected]

Karma13
09-29-2012, 10:04
Still debating mail drops. Would be interested in input on mail drops from the 2013 class.

I'm not planning on doing any mail drops. I'll wing it. And once I'm out there, if I decide I don't like winging it or if I get some current information about a particular area, I'll course-correct.

The thing I love about all this is the fact that nothing's actually written in stone, even though it feels like it to me sometimes! :D

Sugarfoot
09-29-2012, 15:32
My gear is all set and all field-tested last month. We have a tradition at the Appalachian Trail Club of Florida for prospective thru-hikers to present their gear for a group critique. I'll be the victim at this month's meeting. They are without mercy and I expect ridicule for some of my luxury items. I'm keeping on my regular fitness program of daily walking and stretching and aiming for 5 days a week of resistance training at the local Y. I've tweaked my program over the past couple of decades and it seems to work well for me so that my adjustment to the trail is minimal. I plan on 8 small mail drops, mostly for vitamins, 1/2 rolls of Charmin (another luxury item), and AquaMira. I prefer to buy it in advance and mail it because I've often found outfitters out of stock on it. Can't wait to start!

Karma13
09-29-2012, 16:21
Sugarfoot, I'd hate that. Your Trail Club is hardcore! Good luck with the critique.

Danl
09-29-2012, 16:51
Best laid plans always go south.
I and my cousin are going to wing it.
Still in the process of tuning the gear thingy.

LadybugPicnic
09-29-2012, 22:42
I'm still in with a departure date of April 1. I still need a new backpack, a better tarp for my hammock, and footwear - I have a bunion on my right foot and I currently wear Vibram Five Fingers all the time, but I don't think that is going to cut it for the A.T. Any suggestions on wide, light footwear? I am slowly saving money and will reach my target amount in plenty of time, as long as nothing "bad" happens. I plan on mostly resupplying along the trail, sending a few resupply boxes to places where it may be more difficult to resupply, and I will have a bounce box.

So far, so good - everything is going along according to my plans. Very excited!

Karma13
09-30-2012, 04:58
I have a bunion on my right foot and I currently wear Vibram Five Fingers all the time, but I don't think that is going to cut it for the A.T. Any suggestions on wide, light footwear?

LadybugPicnic, I have the same issue, plus a ball-of-foot pain issue on the other side, and went through a bunch of shoes and insoles (not to mention frustration) looking for something that didn't hurt (or only hurt manageably). I've ended up with New Balance light hikers (910), men's double-wide (switching to men's sizes was a eureka moment), with a SofSole memory foam insole. Unfortunately, I need an 8.5 on the left and an 8 on the right, but I'm not going to buy two pairs of shoes every time I need new ones, so I'm going with the 8 and cutting a small vent in them -- which is what I usually end up doing with shoes. Damn freakish feet.

LadybugPicnic
09-30-2012, 10:16
LadybugPicnic, I have the same issue, plus a ball-of-foot pain issue on the other side, and went through a bunch of shoes and insoles (not to mention frustration) looking for something that didn't hurt (or only hurt manageably). I've ended up with New Balance light hikers (910), men's double-wide (switching to men's sizes was a eureka moment), with a SofSole memory foam insole. Unfortunately, I need an 8.5 on the left and an 8 on the right, but I'm not going to buy two pairs of shoes every time I need new ones, so I'm going with the 8 and cutting a small vent in them -- which is what I usually end up doing with shoes. Damn freakish feet.

Ha! I hear ya on the freakish feet. I also have plantar fibromas on the bottom of both feet, which typically do not bother me, but I don't know how they will react to a longer hike. I will probably check into some type of orthotic to distribute my weight away from them. Anyway, thanks for the advice on the shoes, I will be sure to check into them. I started buying men's trail runners a couple of years ago and they have worked well, but the Five Fingers have been the best so far. Are the NB light hikers appropriate for the start of the trail, during colder conditions?

Karma13
09-30-2012, 10:29
The only condition I can imagine would cause trouble is snow more than 6 or 8 inches deep. But if I'm hiking in snow 6 inches deep, I figure I have worse problems. =D I usually wear similar shoes all winter, and the cold doesn't bother me in them. Plus the insoles add a layer of insulation. And I have a sock system.

They don't dry as fast as some of the lighter trail runners, but I've gotten them plenty wet so far, and so far they've dried out overnight. And I've tried them out up on the Trail itself, and they handled the mud and such just fine.

Zippy Morocco
09-30-2012, 12:18
I'm 100 percent ready. I'm about to head out the door and do a trip in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. I'll join the Y when it starts snowing. Right now I'm backpacking overnight at least once a week. I'll probably try some different laying techniques as the weather cools to see what works best. I look forward to seeing you all.

Giantsbane
09-30-2012, 18:43
I currently wear Vibram Five Fingers all the time, but I don't think that is going to cut it for the A.T.

Funny you should mention that, because that is what I plan to wear along the whole thing with the exception of the sections I plan barefooting on. But I go barefoot all the time and when I am forced to wear shoes thats what I wear.

Sman
09-30-2012, 19:07
Just need to find the right shoes / boots ----- my biggest concern would have to be the time away from my family.

LadybugPicnic
10-01-2012, 10:10
Funny you should mention that, because that is what I plan to wear along the whole thing with the exception of the sections I plan barefooting on. But I go barefoot all the time and when I am forced to wear shoes thats what I wear.

That's awesome! I wish I could go barefoot, but my feet are just not tough enough. The FF shoes have helped a lot and I will wear them for a portion of the trail. I was talking to one of their reps and he said that they are coming out with a new winter version of the shoe - it will be waterproof, insulated, and have a built-in gaiter. I look forward to seeing it.

LadybugPicnic
10-01-2012, 10:13
Just need to find the right shoes / boots ----- my biggest concern would have to be the time away from my family.

Yes - that will be the biggest crux of the whole hike - missing our loved ones.

Aquonehostel
10-01-2012, 13:48
Bounce Boxes
You may want to consider bounce-boxes to lighten your load; these boxes are usually sent to hostels and hike-through towns, approximately 100 – 200 mile distances. These boxes may contain:

a. Large/Small ziplock bags.
b. Spare batteries/chargers.
c. Spare strapping.
d. Hydrogen Peroxide mouth wash
e. Liquid Soap
f. Baby Wipes
g. Nail File, clippers comb or brush
h. Small towel
i. Next set of maps.
j. Change of clothing (and town clothing)
k. Spare AM
l. Clean sleeping bag liner
m. Photographs of the wife and kids
n. Clean and replacement socks
o. Medicine
p. Foot powder
q. Spare 2 oz bottles (fill up your bottles; soap, mouth wash etc)
Anything you think you will need but don’t want to carry, bounce it up the trail.

Enjoy your hike Wiggy (2010)

Giantsbane
10-03-2012, 15:14
That's awesome! I wish I could go barefoot, but my feet are just not tough enough. The FF shoes have helped a lot and I will wear them for a portion of the trail. I was talking to one of their reps and he said that they are coming out with a new winter version of the shoe - it will be waterproof, insulated, and have a built-in gaiter. I look forward to seeing it.

That sounds like it could be either really bad or really amazing. Any idea when they are supposed to be putting those out?

RedRunnerJumper
10-04-2012, 16:37
Still working on gathering my gear. This weekend possibly getting my sleeping bag, trekking poles and backpack, so pretty excited! If I do, def going on an overnight trip somewhere or even just locally to test everything out and work out the kinks.

quilteresq
10-04-2012, 20:16
Still working on snagging a good pair of winter-ish boots. I have my eyes on Limmer lightweights, but they don't have my size at the moment. My old Limmers are 25 years old, and so far don't need to be resoled, but are really too heavy. Have a good pair of summer boots. Other than that, some health issue have me exhausted most of the time, so not even training. Hoping to have that straightened out by March. The good news is that while I was making ultra light gear earlier in the year, I was gaining weight faster than I was saving it through making lighter gear. That has now stopped, and I've lost most of it. I have to get going on that! Gear is coming along - not too much in the way of clothes to buy, as I live in NH and already hike. One way or another, I'll be ready, even if I start out S L O W.

RedRunnerJumper
10-07-2012, 06:26
As stated earlier, I did grab some gear this weekend at EMS (Club Day! Wahoo! haha) and now I'm even more excited to get on the trail! 5 months and counting....

88BlueGT
10-09-2012, 18:38
Bounce Boxes
You may want to consider bounce-boxes to lighten your load; these boxes are usually sent to hostels and hike-through towns, approximately 100 – 200 mile distances. These boxes may contain:

a. Large/Small ziplock bags.
b. Spare batteries/chargers.
c. Spare strapping.
d. Hydrogen Peroxide mouth wash
e. Liquid Soap
f. Baby Wipes
g. Nail File, clippers comb or brush
h. Small towel
i. Next set of maps.
j. Change of clothing (and town clothing)
k. Spare AM
l. Clean sleeping bag liner
m. Photographs of the wife and kids
n. Clean and replacement socks
o. Medicine
p. Foot powder
q. Spare 2 oz bottles (fill up your bottles; soap, mouth wash etc)
Anything you think you will need but don’t want to carry, bounce it up the trail.

Enjoy your hike Wiggy (2010)

^^ I agree this is a great idea. I won't be doing mail packages with food, etc. but certainly a bounce box with the necessities.

I don't really have a 'set in stone' start date, or year for that matter. Every year I play it by ear. I can usually tell by December how the year is going to play out through April and I must say, this year certainly looks the most promising. I've been talking about it for 5 years now, all I need to do it make it happen!

I'm ready to go. All I need is a bounce box and a new set of boots, everything else is packed and ready to hit the trail @ a healthy 30-35lbs (winter gear, fully packed w/ food, water, etc.). Lets hope this year is my year guys! I think I may of finally found a job that will give me the time and possibly take me back come Spring.

**Fingers Crossed**

oldbear
10-09-2012, 19:10
Man I am so far behind the curve I may as well be on another road
I got this really great new job and it's pulling me away from getting with the program
On the positive side the job is right on the Gulf so I can beat up water after work or cycle up and down the long causeway that connects the beach to the mainland
and although life somehow got in the way , I've been thinking about and visualing this hike for 40 years
In truth far less qualified ppl than have completed a thru hike of the AT

starbright
10-09-2012, 22:00
Have gotten most of the gear together. Camped out the other night it got down to 32 where I live and was storming so thought it would be a good time to test out some of the gear. Everything worked ok except one of the tents leaked like a sifter any idea's how it fix it. Now working on saving money for the rest.

hightax
10-10-2012, 03:55
Hey there fellow floridian. How many of you are there in the AT club of FL?

Sugarfoot
10-10-2012, 09:44
The Appalachian Trail Club of Florida meets at the Sarasota Garden Club (US 41 and Blvd of the Arts) on the third Wednesday of the month, September through May. A potluck dinner is at 6:30 (bring your own plate, cup, utensils and something to share) with a program starting about 7:30. We usually have about 25 to 45 members attending. I don't know the total membership. We are decidedly not a maintaining club, but we do eat well. Next meeting is October 17. Come on up. You'll be welcome!

daniella
10-13-2012, 01:08
Preparations are going well for me so far. I just packed up all my clothes and weighed them! It was odd to think 'this is what I'll be wearing for 5 months.' My biggest issue is cutting back some weight. I've recently been looking at Henry Shires' tart tents. Any one have any experience or opinions on these?

OzJacko
10-13-2012, 01:33
Preparations are going well for me so far. I just packed up all my clothes and weighed them! It was odd to think 'this is what I'll be wearing for 5 months.' My biggest issue is cutting back some weight. I've recently been looking at Henry Shires' tart tents. Any one have any experience or opinions on these?
We have the Rainshadow 2 (3 peron) and it is awesome for size versus weight.
Will get another Tarp Tent (I think Daniel could be interested in a tart tent:D) - probably a Double Rainbow as we want a tent each that we can share on wet night to keep one dry and in case we split up (who knows he may find that tart tent?).

Jacko and Daniel

LadybugPicnic
10-13-2012, 09:50
That sounds like it could be either really bad or really amazing. Any idea when they are supposed to be putting those out?

All I know is they are supposed to come out this fall/early winter, but I have not seen nor heard anything about them. Next time I see the rep I will ask him if he has any updated information.

Karma13
10-13-2012, 10:14
In other news, my training regimen for the half-gallon challenge is moving along nicely! :D

daniella
10-14-2012, 19:11
We have the Rainshadow 2 (3 peron) and it is awesome for size versus weight.
Will get another Tarp Tent (I think Daniel could be interested in a tart tent:D) - probably a Double Rainbow as we want a tent each that we can share on wet night to keep one dry and in case we split up (who knows he may find that tart tent?).

Jacko and Daniel

Haha! Definitely meant tarp! My nightshift brain couldn't handle words anymore! Thanks! I haven't heard much of anything regarding these but I think I'll go for it. Since I'm soloing it, I assume I'll be a shelter rat most of the time anyway

88BlueGT
10-14-2012, 20:17
If you search the word TarpTent (not tart tent lol) here on the forums you will get a million and one hits. I have been on the forums for a while now and its VERY rare for someone to have anything negative to say about any of his products. I have used the Squall 2 and I have the Rainbow. My opinion, its the best tent I have ever slept in. Lightweight, durable, packs small and sets up with ease. I can put my tent together in probably 2-3 minutes with ease. The rainbow is very roomy inside and has a lot of headroom for me (I'm only 5'8'' so I fit pretty easily in most tents lol). Favorite feature of that tent is the vestibule. Nothing beats it. Hope you find what you're looking for. If you're looking at TarpTents, you're definitely on the right track.

turtle fast
10-14-2012, 20:35
Although I am still wrestling with the idea of later March 2013, I am lucky enough that I just need to delete and add a few things from my 08' run. Of course I am debating myself whether I am to hammock hang or solo shelter it with a LightHeart Solo or a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo. As well I am debating replacing my Etowah alcohol stove (I have the solid fuel model with a small alcohol burner) with an alcohol stove that can burn longer allowing me to cook other things rather than the just boil water cooking technique. Other than that get me some Aqua Mira, a new pack cover, a Tyvek Ground cloth and some new sock liners and I am good to go. Wait...a new Thru Hikers Companion guidebook is important too...almost as much as gold, as their is nothing worse than getting to a place and finding it closed or that you missed some great place that was not listed in an old book...and YES I saw it happen personally to folks who had an old book.

Sman
10-15-2012, 13:53
After a long talk with my wife I decided to put my feet weremy heart is and get them off the sofa and on the pavement moving. She isfearful, and rightly so, that I am going to get on the AT and fall over dead orworst call her when she is busy after a few days to have her come pick me upbeside the road like an abandon pet left out in the cold wet rain.
SO, today I started my weight loss and fitness regiment, Itwent like this; 0530 my wife’s alarm went off so I covered my head with mypillow and waited for her to tell me to get up. After a short stretch of mytoes and a walk into the kitchen where I made us our morning shakes (Amino Acidw/ Slim Fast in mine) I got dressed and drove my truck to my pick up/returnpoint. It didn’t take long for me to think about waiting until tomorrow, but Iwas committed now, well, my wife got their and drove me five mile toward herwork and away from my warm comfy refuge.
Why here?
This road, Hwy 45 runs about 20 miles between Mayfield whereI live and Paducah the place Tammy works. It is perfect, has four lanes and avery large space beside the road great for bikes, running or limping along inmy case for now. About three miles back toward the truck I knew she was right;my feet hurt and the last two miles were a strain on this 305lb frame.
It so easy to let yourself go, my 205lb days are a distant memoryand I have until March 15th to reach some kind of readiness to hikeat least 500 miles or perhaps the whole AT.

88BlueGT
10-16-2012, 09:18
Stay committed.. progress is progress, does not matter if its slow or fast. Have faith, be positive and stay dedicated! that's my moto.

Pressure D
10-16-2012, 11:19
Just finished an End to End of The Long Trail. I ironed out some issues with gear. Have sometime to replace some gear and practice with it. I lost 15 lbs on the hike, want to lose some more before I start in April. I am going to work real hard to get in the best possible shape before I head out.

88BlueGT
10-16-2012, 11:34
For some reason I don't feel all that concerned about 'getting into shape'. I'm not OUT of shape, I'm a medium build, average sized 25 yr old. Obviously, any future physical preparations will help a lot in the beginning of the hike but after a few weeks, anyone who is still around who was NOT in shape... now will be.

LadybugPicnic
10-16-2012, 21:19
After a long talk with my wife I decided to put my feet weremy heart is and get them off the sofa and on the pavement moving. She isfearful, and rightly so, that I am going to get on the AT and fall over dead orworst call her when she is busy after a few days to have her come pick me upbeside the road like an abandon pet left out in the cold wet rain.
SO, today I started my weight loss and fitness regiment, Itwent like this; 0530 my wife’s alarm went off so I covered my head with mypillow and waited for her to tell me to get up. After a short stretch of mytoes and a walk into the kitchen where I made us our morning shakes (Amino Acidw/ Slim Fast in mine) I got dressed and drove my truck to my pick up/returnpoint. It didn’t take long for me to think about waiting until tomorrow, but Iwas committed now, well, my wife got their and drove me five mile toward herwork and away from my warm comfy refuge.
Why here?
This road, Hwy 45 runs about 20 miles between Mayfield whereI live and Paducah the place Tammy works. It is perfect, has four lanes and avery large space beside the road great for bikes, running or limping along inmy case for now. About three miles back toward the truck I knew she was right;my feet hurt and the last two miles were a strain on this 305lb frame.
It so easy to let yourself go, my 205lb days are a distant memoryand I have until March 15th to reach some kind of readiness to hikeat least 500 miles or perhaps the whole AT.

Hey, that is awesome, great work! I know it's not easy getting into an exercise and diet routine, but it sounds like you have a goal and your committed. You can do it! :) Keep us updated on your progress.

Darwin13
10-17-2012, 09:30
Well I play about 2.5 hours of bball 6 days a week with my team. I work out three times a week doing conditioning(running), weight training and also agility workouts. Obvioiusly Im training for bbasketball but I always think. This is going to help the hike. As for gear, I working on it. as for money, im broke at the moment!

Cro-Mag
10-17-2012, 10:12
My preparations are going well. I have 90% of the gear I will need. My savings plan is going well, but I am depending on a decent tax return...eep!
I live in Burbank, CA and I am lucky to have a great 4.5 mile trail that I can do after work. It is a good climb too! I have been weighing down my pack and tackling that 3-4 times a week. I have also been going on longer backpacking trips (Rim to Rim Grand Canyon in July and 4 days on the PCT this November plus a few overnight trips.).
I fly out to Vermont tonight to visit my family. My dad lives in Manchester Center and we are going to hike part of the AT while I am there. I am REALLY excited about that!

Stupid question: I am 5'11" and weigh 155. I have been trying to gain some weight so I will have something to lose on the trail. Is this a good idea? I have read about people losing a large amount of weight on the trail and I am worried about being skin and bones by the end.

Karma13
10-17-2012, 11:27
There's actually a fairly recent thread on this, if you feel like doing a little searching. I believe the upshot was no, don't bother gaining weight. (Don't quote me, though.) Some people lose a lot of weight, some people don't lose much. (Zak Davis talks about it in his book, too. Appalachian Trials. I think he only lost 2 pounds or something, if I remember correctly.) The people who lose a lot tend to be people who had a lot to lose. If you work off your calorie deficit by eating a ton of food in town, you probably come closer to breaking even.

That said, I'm hoping to lose some weight! :D

Cro-Mag
10-17-2012, 14:35
There's actually a fairly recent thread on this, if you feel like doing a little searching.

Thanks! I found the thread.

Bazinga
10-21-2012, 20:45
My preparations are going well. Pretty well set on equipment. Have been hiking pretty steady for two years. 2 miles per night on the treadmill. 12-16 miles in local state parks on weekends (I retire in 10 days, so this will increase). Have done several 2-3 day trips and have more planned. Most importantly, I feel like I'm mentally ready to go.

turtle fast
10-22-2012, 00:04
In reality, the best training for the trail is to do the trail itself. Limit your mileage at the start to 10-15 miles and as your body becomes more accustomed to the routine you can push more mileage later and help ward off injury. I saw very fit individuals whom you would think would almost run to Katadin get injured within the first few weeks of the trail by pushing it too hard. I saw hikers ignore the "hot spots" in their boots that made their feet blister into a mess and had to get off the trail, and stress fractures from others. You have to remember that this is not a marathon race, but an everyday routine where the mileage just adds up until the end. I had lost so much weight that by Damascus VA, I had to buy a new smaller hip belt for my ULA as mine did not fit on my hips anymore. Just remember to have adequate calories, I saw hikers liberally adding margarine to food to add calories and Snickers bars were seen more frequently the further north I went.

sublimety
10-22-2012, 00:19
All I know is they are supposed to come out this fall/early winter, but I have not seen nor heard anything about them. Next time I see the rep I will ask him if he has any updated information.
I saw them on the Five Finger site, I think they are available on there now.

Bazinga
10-22-2012, 09:06
Turtle - your caution about not pushing it in the beginning is actually a concern for me. I'm "wired" to push it and know that I can't.

turtle fast
10-22-2012, 13:14
In the beginning, it is just about getting into a trail mentality and conditioning your body to trail rigors, as well as dialing in your gear. Luckily, Mountain Crossings in GA s ON the trail (the trail actually goes through the building) and by then you have an idea what gear is not going to work and get good suggestions on what to replace it with. I suggest getting a pack shakedown by them (they do hundreds of them) and they will go over your gear with you and suggest other options for ones that you do not like or work properly (it happens). That is why they ship tons of gear back home every year from hikers. Limiting your mileage will lessen your chances of injury and give your feet a chance to toughen up whether you are wearing boots or trail shoes. Soon you notice a pattern of folks you keep running into and this "pod" of hikers makes the trail journey much more interesting.

Hairbear
10-22-2012, 18:29
:cool:...............spring isnt long off.

ChinMusic
10-22-2012, 20:14
I've done enough section hikes to know I am good for the first week. After that it will be new.

Preparation: My biggest preparation is to make sure my son can run the business while I am gone. Don't want to come back to the IRS breathing down my neck cause he forgot something.

turtle fast
10-22-2012, 21:22
Better have a good CPA. ;) My wife is going to run ours. :0

Austin_Knott
10-24-2012, 13:14
Will be hiking SoBo in June. I have about 80% of my gear. Have yet to decide between hammock or tent, but leaning towards hammock. Trying to get my pack down to about 25-30 lbs, but have been waiting for opportunistic deals.

Currently I am hiking about 4-6 times a week, doing anywhere from 3-10 miles depending on the amount of time I have. Have been packing my dog with about 2 liters of water & he has been training as well (;

Will need to start breaking in new shoes, and a pack ASAP.

OzJacko
10-25-2012, 03:02
My wife said I should watch my waistline.
So I put it out where I can see it....:eek:

Karma13
10-25-2012, 05:26
My wife said I should watch my waistline.
So I put it out where I can see it....:eek:

I hear that! It's the Georgia to Maine (or Maine to Georgia) weight loss plan! :D

OzJacko
10-25-2012, 05:40
I hear that! It's the Georgia to Maine (or Maine to Georgia) weight loss plan! :D
Sorry for the kilos instead of lbs, but to give an idea I started Bib Track last year at about 94 kgs, finished it at 85 kgs and I am currently at 99 kgs!
Intend to be about 90-92 at Amicalola. Should have me in high 70's by Katahdin..;)

Karma13
10-25-2012, 06:27
You'll be a shadow of your former self!

Good luck getting to your target weight before Amicalola. That's the tough part, I think. That, and not ballooning afterward.

AllTheWayToMordor
10-25-2012, 13:10
My preparations, aside from reading whiteblaze and daydreaming are the same as they were 6 months ago. Planning on buying a lot of gear eventually, I'll get in shape later and plan on the fly.

colorado_rob
10-25-2012, 13:26
I'm all set and ready to go w/ Gear, training, planning, etc. No real need to do much of any of that as we hike/camp/backpack/climb all the time, year 'round. I guess I do need a bit of food and logistics planning for the AT though. Plus a plane ticket to Atlanta.

But, The biggie: I still have to bite the bullet and quit work. I plan on giving one month notice in late February. 95 actual work days to go! I hope I don't chicken out. Frequenting this web site will help to not chicken out.

Pedaling Fool
10-25-2012, 15:45
Well I play about 2.5 hours of bball 6 days a week with my team. I work out three times a week doing conditioning(running), weight training and also agility workouts. Obvioiusly Im training for bbasketball but I always think. This is going to help the hike. As for gear, I working on it. as for money, im broke at the moment!

My preparations are going well. I have 90% of the gear I will need. My savings plan is going well, but I am depending on a decent tax return...eep!
I live in Burbank, CA and I am lucky to have a great 4.5 mile trail that I can do after work. It is a good climb too! I have been weighing down my pack and tackling that 3-4 times a week. I have also been going on longer backpacking trips (Rim to Rim Grand Canyon in July and 4 days on the PCT this November plus a few overnight trips.).
I fly out to Vermont tonight to visit my family. My dad lives in Manchester Center and we are going to hike part of the AT while I am there. I am REALLY excited about that!

Stupid question: I am 5'11" and weigh 155. I have been trying to gain some weight so I will have something to lose on the trail. Is this a good idea? I have read about people losing a large amount of weight on the trail and I am worried about being skin and bones by the end.This is all great, but one of the best things you can do is single leg squats (and it can be done while sitting around watching TV).

Single leg squats will get your legs ready for downhill hiking. Don't worry so much about cardio, that will come on the hike, but doing things to prevent knee injury will be best, because if you develop knee problems on the trail it's not so easy to heal while hiking. Also do them without supporting yourself, i.e. by using a chair or other structure for balance, that way you're also developing balance and working out the stabilizing muscles.

And of course, the more hiking you can get in before your thru, the better. And I wouldn't worry about gaining weight prior to the hike, really doesn't matter in the big picture, since a thru-hike is so long.

RJ Lewis
11-02-2012, 00:51
For a new backpack, a ULA can't be beat, or a new one I'm trying out from Elemental Horizons. I'm 90% prepared- all of my gear is ready, but I have to get back into shape. I was in a major car accident that left me with a hook plate in my right shoulder, as well as other medical issues that aren't life threatening if handled right. I don't plan on high miles to start. My base weight is under 10 lb, with the new lighter pack and cuben fiber tent. I'm real happy to have all of my gear planned out and just have the fitness issues to deal with now. I will get there. :)
As far as shoes go, I have big, wide feet also. There are several makers out there that make lightweight shoes and 3/4height boots. Merrell and New Balance both make nice lightweight 3/4 height boot. Both make em wide and have plenty of toe room.

Josh Calhoun
11-05-2012, 15:53
i have all of my gear so im good on that part. i have been doing to much training in the last few months. my knees are starting to hurt me. ill be taking it east for a while now

ChinMusic
11-05-2012, 16:07
Did a 10-mile dayhike loop yesterday on easy to moderate terrain (1300' gain/loss, not bad for Illinois). Legs/feet/knees all seemed to be in working order........

melaniebk
11-05-2012, 16:37
I've been carrying a full-ish pack on my weekend hikes in SC- Mountain Bridge Wilderness Area, Table Rock S.P., and Oconee S.P. The best prep for carrying a full pack and hiking up and down mountains is to carry a full pack and hike up and down mountains, right? (Oh, and single leg squats, thnx John Gault). I'm having to HMOH tho' because I'm getting a lot of disparaging looks and comments. There are an awful lot of people out there who don't mind passing judgement (out loud) on the fact that I'm carrying a pack on day hikes when all I really need is a water bottle. Yet, these same people are too socially awkward to just come right out and ask what I'm doing. Of course, they might still think I was crazy if they did know what I was doing. lol And before someone asks, currently 25 lbs.

Cro-Mag
11-05-2012, 20:06
I've been training with a weighted down pack and I've been getting the weird looks and comments too. I just brush it off or spark up a conversation with them. I have enjoyed a few great chats with these on-lookers, who all have "dreamed about doing a hike like that". Who knows, you might inspire one of those folks!

I went to Joshua Tree National Park this weekend and did some training/tested some new gear. It was a great weekend for hiking in the desert!

HikerMom58
11-05-2012, 20:47
Well, I don't know how I missed this awesome thread. I just wanted to say to the class of 2013.. Good luck on ur prep for ur upcoming hike. :) Spring will be here b4 you know it!!

I agree with doing lots of strength training... one-legged squats are good. You all know I would love to meet ya when ur comin through Daleville VA.

UofWHusky
11-06-2012, 19:19
Been thinking about this hike for a long time finally going to start in spring 2013. I've finalized maybe 80% of my gear so far. I hiked three week-long hikes over the summer, most recently 12 days on the Wonderland Trail, and have refined most of the key items. At about 28 pounds without food or water, my pack is not UL but it is comfortable for me. No bounce boxes to keep track of. Looking forward to getting out and completing the hike.

starbright
11-07-2012, 02:47
Have about 95% of my gear. Just tweaking the weight on what I have now. walking everyother day when possible.
Just be glad when its time to leave.
Planning on attending the ATKO
See ya there

turtle fast
11-07-2012, 11:03
Tweaking my gear again...how so save some oz. This strap too long...snip, this pot too heavy...hmmm titanium......what about that pack again...look, look, and look maybe its too heavy maybe get a different one. Now how much. Sometimes I think I worry about it too much.

Cro-Mag
11-08-2012, 12:48
Tweaking my gear again...how so save some oz. This strap too long...snip, this pot too heavy...hmmm titanium......what about that pack again...look, look, and look maybe its too heavy maybe get a different one. Now how much. Sometimes I think I worry about it too much.
Hi Turtle Fast,

Just curious, what was your base weight in 2008?

squireel
11-08-2012, 14:16
All I'm missing is food. Gear has all been tested and shaken down, money is saved and in the bank, train ticket purchased to get me to Atalanta, and I'm counting down the days. The one thing I am still working on is different types of trail food. Iv always used mountain house meals on my week- 2 week long hiking trips/ adventures and I dont think I'll be able to handle mountain house for 6 months straight

RED-DOG
11-08-2012, 14:50
How's yours going

OzJacko
11-09-2012, 07:06
All I'm missing is food. Gear has all been tested and shaken down, money is saved and in the bank, train ticket purchased to get me to Atalanta, and I'm counting down the days. The one thing I am still working on is different types of trail food. Iv always used mountain house meals on my week- 2 week long hiking trips/ adventures and I dont think I'll be able to handle mountain house for 6 months straight
After the third week you'll eat anything and everything. Don't sweat it.:p

fishing
11-12-2012, 14:18
Date set, shelter 1 system (hammock) failed, Lightheart SoLong 6 soon to be ordered and tested. Getting close! Still have to work out the logistics of getting off the trail for a friend's wedding, going to be somewhere in VA.

slntmnt
11-16-2012, 12:37
Booked my flight to GA, now its time to start buying gear!

max patch
11-16-2012, 12:53
Booked my flight to GA, now its time to start buying gear!

Unless you have already made other arrangements you should now book your reservation with the Hiker Hostel.

slntmnt
11-16-2012, 19:15
Yes! I left a message with them today!

Slow n' Steady
11-18-2012, 10:30
Got my reservation at Hiker Hostel. I'm hoping airfares will go down after the holidays. Not many flights go from Manchester, NH, to Atlanta, GA. I am struggling with getting my pack weight down. Winter clothing is heavy. Other than that, I am ready and counting the days till March 30!

squireel
11-18-2012, 13:18
Hiker hostel was already booked solid for the night of march 31 so if y'all plan on using them I'd call ASAP. I am using atsurviviordave or Davis shuttles. His number is 678-469-0978 if any body might need or want to use him.

Dodds1990
11-21-2012, 23:11
Preparations A through G were a complete failure.....
Have you tried preparation H yet? Lol. Preparations are going well. Can't wait to get out there this April. Anyone else using a ULA Circuit?

OzJacko
11-22-2012, 05:07
Have you tried preparation H yet? Lol. Preparations are going well. Can't wait to get out there this April. Anyone else using a ULA Circuit?
My son's using my Circuit (I used it on Bib Track last year) and I have a new Catalyst.

Karma13
11-22-2012, 05:33
I've got a Circuit! Love it.

SawnieRobertson
11-22-2012, 11:18
Hello, fellow 13ers! How are my preps coming along? The first order of business for me is getting my body weight and composition closer to optimal. I had been under a dark cloud of post-corticosteroid weight gain that I could not shake. Some research even said that I might never be able to get rid of it. That was not okay because I was so immense that I knew that my post-surgical knee (name: Ariel) could never handle the distance. On September 23 of this year, I began a new onslaught against what was dooming my life to a mere existence. Since then I have lost 17.6 hideous pounds. I have 26.4 to go before I will begin the actual trek. Meanwhile, I am also working out regularly at the Lifetime Wellness Center at Marion, Virginia, with my trainer who is quite adept at helping me prevent any injuries now or on the trail. No, I am not joining others for a huge meal today. Instead, I am giving thanks big time for this breakthrough. You see, it is not how old you are but how much you weigh! With joy, Kinnickinic

SawnieRobertson
11-23-2012, 10:41
I realized today that I have 6 months left until my hike. That's less time than I plan to be out in the woods! I have 90% of the gear I'm going to take with, I run 5 days a weeks with other cardio as well and very slowy saving my money. I was just wondering from the rest of the 2013 class; how are your preparations going? Has anyone dropped out yet? Sixteen weeks to go! When I think of it, my heart swells with the joy of anticipation. This is better than the days of childhood when Christmas was approaching. (Even better, when Christmas holidays were approaching.) I hope that each of you is keeping your eye on the prize, doing something daily to prepare to have a great time in Georgia, where our muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia, and bones transition to whatever we have prepared them to do. (I watched SECRETARIAT last night and am thus insprired.) Hoping to make it the whole way, using my brain as well as my feet.)--Kinnickinic

msupple
11-23-2012, 15:03
I'm picking up where I left off in May of this year which was just north of Damascus. Unfortunately we had family medical issues which required me to leave the trail. The upside of this is that this year will be totally stress free in regards to preperation. I know what to expect and know that there really is not much preperation needed. Other than buying a lighter hammock (Dream Hammocks Darien UL) and possibly a cuben tarp, I'm set to jet. I may try to get my legs in better shape prior to leaving but that's probably a pipe dream. My only real concern is which meals to bring for the first few days...after that it's all on the fly which is the beauty of the whole darn thing. As Lone Wolf says....it's just walking.

Cat in the Hat

lonehiker
11-24-2012, 00:49
Ya it is good to do all of the above but I think that fundamentally the most important thing to get into shape (other than your mind) is your feet. I did a 95 mile hike with a guy that runs sub-15 min 5ks, bikes several hundred miles a week, and swims countless laps in the pool but 3 days into the hike he was nursing 11 blisters. The weight and the way your foot moves on trails is unlike anything you normally do for cardio conditioning. Hiking with weight on as rocky a trail you can find would be the best bet for your feet. I don't have really rocky trails real close so I hike off-trail so as to get the side-to-side twisting necessary to really toughen my feet.

Pedaling Fool
11-24-2012, 10:39
Ya it is good to do all of the above but I think that fundamentally the most important thing to get into shape (other than your mind) is your feet. I did a 95 mile hike with a guy that runs sub-15 min 5ks, bikes several hundred miles a week, and swims countless laps in the pool but 3 days into the hike he was nursing 11 blisters. The weight and the way your foot moves on trails is unlike anything you normally do for cardio conditioning. Hiking with weight on as rocky a trail you can find would be the best bet for your feet. I don't have really rocky trails real close so I hike off-trail so as to get the side-to-side twisting necessary to really toughen my feet.
What I did to prepare my feet was to walk barefoot on pavement; I started out just going around the block and working my way up and it worked, didn't get one blister, had a few hot spots, but no blisters.

However, your basic premise (which I found out the hard way) is correct. The feet are the most difficult to build up, for me I was able to guard against blisters, but not against the general pains my feet felt from the constant tromping with weight on my back on terrain which is very much unlike what we are use to, i.e. flat, even ground/pavement. Walking on rocks/roots really does take a toll on the muscles/bones in the feet, not to mention the ankles. The feet/ankles is probably the biggest reason of all to get in as much hiking prior to a thru as possible. And not hiking on well maintained, perfectly groomed trails.

turtle fast
11-26-2012, 13:05
CRO-MAG: 18 pounds base weight in 2008. I was not hiking alone so my weight was much higher as I had much of the shared weight as she had less capacity. Also in 08' Cuben fiber was not as prevalent and I was using an REI half dome 2 person tent, with a General Ecology First Need Water filter that were not exactly the lightest but worked well. Now that I am hiking solo, I have more choices to tweak my gear to being lighter like a lighter tent, smaller pot, less fuel, etc.

mgspea00
11-26-2012, 15:59
My gear list to begin March 1. Sorry about the formatting but wanted to put all the numbers out there. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Clothing System

Item
Weight

Patagonia Capilene Midweight 3 (long underwear/bottom)

Patagonia Capilene Midweight 3 (long underwear/top)

Marmot PreCip Jacket

Patagonia Down Jacket Sweater

Patagonia Lightweight short sleeve shirt

Smart wool socks 2 pair

Shorts (zip-offs)

Gloves, liners, hat, muffs

Mt. Hardware Monkey Man Jacket 22oz.

Patagonia Short Sleeve Trail Running shirt 6oz (Summer)

Cooking System

Stove

Pack

Denatured Alcohol

Leki Trekking Poles

Titanium cup/pot/spork

2nd skin, gauze, 40 matches, 6 towlettes, survival blanket, 2 alcohol cleansing pad, 5 bandaids, 4 ointments, 1 cooling gel, 2 bandages, 1 pack moleskin, 1 Trauma pad, 1 snake bite kit, 2 role first aid tape, 1 body glide

Clothes

Water Sys

Water System

TP

Sleep

Sawyer

Camera/tripod/iphone

Cooking

2 plastic bottles

Carbine/rope/headlamp

Other

Dry Sacks 3
Food (4 days)

Sleep System

Toothpaste, toothbrush, deo, soap

Water

Mountaineering Caribou microlite XP MF35

Trail Guide

Liner

Ibuprofen

Therma rest Sleep Pad

Extra AAA Batteries

Total oz.

Big Agnes Fly UK2

Duct tape, Head net, ziplocs

Total lbs.

multitool
Minus Wearing ounces

PackWeight lbs.

Trash bag

Pack liner

mgspea00
11-26-2012, 16:00
Man, that formatting sucks :) Sorry about that.

Magic_Rat
11-27-2012, 21:31
New to WhiteBlaze - just added myself to the '13 registry! My preparations..... I'm a little behind. Working on shedding pounds mainly. Exercise bike 5 days a week. I'm about to start throwing some walks / hikes in to get closer to "hiking shape". Got my gear list pretty much set, now I'm just working on finding the best prices! Been dreaming of this for about 7 years now - I can't believe it's so close! Anyone who wouldn't mind critiquing/offering suggestions on my gear list, I'd appreciate it! I can send it in a PM. Seems like a great community hear at WB - I've been doing a lot of reading :).

RedRunnerJumper
11-27-2012, 22:04
Preparations are becoming more and more complete. in the past two days, I had 3 orders arrive. (primaloft jacket, body hoodie, spork and new headlamp) so exited I am that much closer! Just want the trail to come about quicker!!

oldbear
11-27-2012, 22:18
I'm way behind where I should be But I realized something really important
By nature I'm a procrastinator
By nature I get overwhelmed easily by miles of seemingly endless minutae
By nature I get easily confused when things are described in alpha numeric code
So that's what I can't do
I do have the money and I do have the time and bc of this site I have a good font of knowledge about this project
So using HYOH as my guide I've simplified the problem and I'm gonna do what I can do to get this hike going on 3/24 and adjust on the fly
I'll have about half of the right gear
My body will be in reasonably good shape
I will have 2 pairs of boots broken in
I'll have my meds and my epi pen
I'll have an extra pair of eyeglasses
I'm gonna drive to Amicalola and leave my car for 6 months
and with the basics taken car of I can figure out the rest as I go along

Karma13
11-28-2012, 08:10
Love your attitude, oldbear! :)

quilteresq
11-28-2012, 09:43
Took advantage of Black Friday to grab some dehydrated basics - cheese, freeze dried raspberries (a luxury, but yum) and some veggies that don't dehydrate well, as well as picking up my backpack with no shipping charges. I went with a Gossamer Gear Mariposa. December and January will be for dehydrating a bunch of stuff, and Feb will be for stuffing resupply boxes. Oh, and I picked up my water treatment and water carrying bag. Thought I had one in the basement, but it was missing in action.

I don't need any more big purchases, although I'm worried about what clothes I'll be packing, and whether or not I'll be warm enough at the beginning.

CarlZ993
11-28-2012, 12:58
Ordered my Z-packs Hexamid Solo Plus tent. Got a couple other odds and ends coming in. Gotta decide on the pack (ULA Catylist or Granite Gear Crown VC 60) and a few other odds and ends. Bought my airline ticket on SW this morning. Getting excited and anxious at the same time.

jimmyjam
11-28-2012, 13:28
My gear list to begin March 1. Sorry about the formatting but wanted to put all the numbers out there. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Clothing System

Item

Weight

Marmot PreCip Jacket

Smart wool socks 2 pair

Shorts (zip-offs)

Cooking System

Stove

Pack

Denatured Alcohol

Leki Trekking Poles

Titanium cup/pot/spork

2nd skin, gauze, 40 matches, 6 towlettes, survival blanket, 2 alcohol cleansing pad, 5 bandaids, 4 ointments, 1 cooling gel, 2 bandages, 1 pack moleskin, 1 Trauma pad, 1 snake bite kit, 2 role first aid tape, 1 body glide

Clothes

Water Sys

Water System

TP

Sleep

Sawyer

Camera/tripod/iphone

Cooking

2 plastic bottles

Carbine/rope/headlamp

Other

Dry Sacks 3

Food (4 days)

Sleep System

Water

Trail Guide

Liner

Ibuprofen

Therma rest Sleep Pad

Extra AAA Batteries

Total oz.

Big Agnes Fly UK2

Total lbs.

multitool

Minus Wearing ounces

PackWeight lbs.

Trash bag

Pack liner

Unless I'm not seeing it, where's your shelter??

ChinMusic
11-28-2012, 14:05
Unless I'm not seeing it, where's your shelter??

Big Agnes Fly UK2 is the tent. It should have read Big Agnes Fly UL2

Cro-Mag
11-28-2012, 16:49
I went on a solo, overnight trip two days ago. I hiked 6.5 miles the first day and just shy of 13 miles the second day. My starting elevation was 4200 feet, I camped at 6500 feet and reached as high as 8985 (Telegraph Peak). The temperature dropped to below freezing at night and I woke up to a frosty, rock hard earth.
I bear bagged, using the PCT method, for the first time in the elements. I got the rock over the limb on the first try, yah! Beginners luck I presume.

Pictured, starting on left: Mt. San Antonio (AKA Mt. Baldy), Telegraph Peak in the center and on the far right is Timber Mt.

All my gear seems to be working properly. I am still unsatisfied with my shelter (Eureka Solitaire) as it is not freestanding and does not breath well (I woke up with the end of my sleeping bag damp from it rubbing on the inside of the tent).

I can't wait for March and to meet you all!

lobotomized
11-28-2012, 17:46
I have two rather large purchases left to make, but other than that I'm ready. Some higher quality socks, an UL Tarptent (the Rainbow) and a new/lighter sleeping bag/pad. Other than that, I'm itching to hit the trail already!

Scotto
11-29-2012, 10:17

Clothing System

Item
Weight

Marmot PreCip Jacket

Smart wool socks 2 pair

Shorts (zip-offs)

Cooking System

Stove

Pack

Denatured Alcohol

Leki Trekking Poles

Titanium cup/pot/spork

Clothes

Water Sys

Water System

TP

Sleep

Sawyer

Camera/tripod/iphone

Cooking

2 plastic bottles

Carbine/rope/headlamp

Other

Dry Sacks 3
Food (4 days)

Sleep System

Water

Trail Guide

Liner

Ibuprofen

Therma rest Sleep Pad

Extra AAA Batteries

Total oz.

Big Agnes Fly UK2

Total lbs.

multitool
Minus Wearing ounces

PackWeight lbs.

Trash bag

Pack liner

I think you could drop a couple pounds from the miscellaneous category for very little money. I’m using a Fenix LD01 .6 oz. flashlight as my headlamp. AAA lithium batteries weigh about .3 oz, alkalines weigh .4 oz. - 5 oz. is a lot of batteries. Consider dropping the multitool in favor of a Victorinox Classic at .75 oz. Instead of pack liner and trash bag at 7 oz. total, consider MLD pack liner at 1.2 oz. or trash compactor bag at 2.25 oz. Carry the trail guide in 4 separate pieces. For toothpaste, toothbrush, soap (Dr. Bronners) my weight is 2 oz. My food bag weighs 2.6 oz. (and cost $6) and there are certainly lighter options. Fifty feet of line and a mini carabineer weighs less than 2 oz.

I didn't see gaiters on your list, Dirty Girl gaiters weigh 1.25 oz. A 35 degree bag is aggressive, even with a liner and a down jacket for a March 1 start. I think you could loose almost two pounds from your pack and tent, but that is big dollars. I hope you plan to eat more than a pound of food a day!

turtle fast
11-29-2012, 11:53
mgspea00, you had a snake bite kit? It is unnecessary on the AT as the kits were shown to be not very effective....sounds good in the store, but in reality they are useless pounds as you just cant suck out the venom.

mgspea00
11-29-2012, 12:43
I think you could drop a couple pounds from the miscellaneous category for very little money. I’m using a Fenix LD01 .6 oz. flashlight as my headlamp. AAA lithium batteries weigh about .3 oz, alkalines weigh .4 oz. - 5 oz. is a lot of batteries. Consider dropping the multitool in favor of a Victorinox Classic at .75 oz. Instead of pack liner and trash bag at 7 oz. total, consider MLD pack liner at 1.2 oz. or trash compactor bag at 2.25 oz. Carry the trail guide in 4 separate pieces. For toothpaste, toothbrush, soap (Dr. Bronners) my weight is 2 oz. My food bag weighs 2.6 oz. (and cost $6) and there are certainly lighter options. Fifty feet of line and a mini carabineer weighs less than 2 oz.

I didn't see gaiters on your list, Dirty Girl gaiters weigh 1.25 oz. A 35 degree bag is aggressive, even with a liner and a down jacket for a March 1 start. I think you could loose almost two pounds from your pack and tent, but that is big dollars. I hope you plan to eat more than a pound of food a day!

Hey, thanks for the reply. Food should have been 2lbs per day. Math is not my strong point :) I will definitely look at the other suggetions. Greatly appreciate it!

mgspea00
11-29-2012, 12:45
Good point, thanks for the reply!

TheBigHiker
11-29-2012, 23:56
I have about 1/3 of my gear and man it's coming up fast... I still have weight to lose. I won't be breaking any speed records out there that's for sure.

TheBigHiker
11-29-2012, 23:59

What do you mean a 35 degree bag is aggressive?

TheBigHiker
11-30-2012, 00:10
Does anyone have any experience with the GoLite ultralight packs?

CarlZ993
11-30-2012, 09:16
Does anyone have any experience with the GoLite ultralight packs?
I've used the Golite Pinnacle on several 'longish' hikes (9 - 10 days on several occasions). It was 'OK' for the most part. The pack is pretty large. If the pack volume is low, the pack doesn't ride real well. I won't be using it on my thru-hike. I'm looking at something different - ULA Circuit or Granite Gear VC 60. Gotta make the decision pretty soon so I can tell Santa Claus. :)

Scotto
12-02-2012, 00:41
What do you mean a 35 degree bag is aggressive?

With a March 1 start date the average overnight low in GSMNP is about 25 according to my research. There is about a 50 mile stretch where you are above 5000'. The average at Springer is a few degrees warmer. Most of the recommendations I have read suggest a 20 degree bag.

alxflwrs
12-02-2012, 19:13
In my opinion, you only want to buy, and carry, one sleeping bag the whole hike. My 30 degree bag is perfect, especially with a silk liner. If it gets hot I just sleep in the liner and use the bag as a blanket. If its cold I double up. I don't see how his bag is aggressive still...Aggressive would be like...a -30 bag for the whole hike.

TheBigHiker
12-03-2012, 02:04
With a March 1 start date the average overnight low in GSMNP is about 25 according to my research. There is about a 50 mile stretch where you are above 5000'. The average at Springer is a few degrees warmer. Most of the recommendations I have read suggest a 20 degree bag. ok thanks that makes sense! :)

TheBigHiker
12-03-2012, 02:04
In my opinion, you only want to buy, and carry, one sleeping bag the whole hike. My 30 degree bag is perfect, especially with a silk liner. If it gets hot I just sleep in the liner and use the bag as a blanket. If its cold I double up. I don't see how his bag is aggressive still...Aggressive would be like...a -30 bag for the whole hike.

I was thinking about getting a liner too.

OzJacko
12-03-2012, 07:01
I was thinking about getting a liner too.
I strongly recommend a good liner.
Keeps bag clean(ish).
Adds degrees in cold.
Use as suggested above in warmish weather and as sleeping bag when lying ON the actual bag in the hot.

Don H
12-03-2012, 08:26
I bought a silk liner in Hot Springs on my thru last year and carried it the rest of the trip.

Most people seem to go with a 20 degree bag to start, which I think is a good way to go. Not all 20 degree bags are the same, lesser quality bags inflate their ratings. A quality bag like Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineer or Mont Bell for example will give you a solid rating. Don't go cheap on your sleeping bag, this is part of your survival gear. When you've been hiking all day in a cold, rainy and windy day this is the only place you can go to get warm.

A summer bag of 32 to 40 degree will save you some weight later on. I swapped from a Feathered Friends 20 degree bag to a 32 degree Mont Bell bag in Pearisburg, VA

Good Luck!

SawnieRobertson
12-03-2012, 09:02
Informing oneself as is written above is an important segment of preparing for a happy thruhike. Justin Lichter was the key speaker at The Gathering a couple of months ago. His book TRAIL TESTED: A Thru-Hiker's Insights into Hiking and Backpacking is incredibly helpful. It is Christmas gift worthy. Believe me. And, in spite of its page-by-page color photography, it is only $19.99. He is a fine young man and has done a splendid thing in publishing so much information.--Kinncikinic

Hairbear
12-03-2012, 10:14
I've used the Golite Pinnacle on several 'longish' hikes (9 - 10 days on several occasions). It was 'OK' for the most part. The pack is pretty large. If the pack volume is low, the pack doesn't ride real well. I won't be using it on my thru-hike. I'm looking at something different - ULA Circuit or Granite Gear VC 60. Gotta make the decision pretty soon so I can tell Santa Claus. :)if it helps at all i just went fron an osprey atmos 65 to the circuit.i love the circuit,the things i miss from the osprey is storage compartments,ability to carry a water bag outside the pack area,and the air space between the pack ,and me.i am glad i switched up for the weight reduction.the longer i use the u l a the more i like it.

TheBigHiker
12-03-2012, 18:07
Preparations are going well here.

Tent - Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 ( I won't do a hammock. Although I'm sure it's a great idea. :) )
Bag - Sierra Designs sythetic bag (great price, light and I'm allergic to down no matter what I do. )
Poles- Black Diamond Z-pole
Stove-alcohol titanium stove
Sleeping Pad- Exped Ultralight 7, already slept on it... felt great.
Cooking Pot-titanium, 0.7 L
Cup-titanium (I'll start with this. It remains to be seen whether or not I'll keep it)
Stuff sacks-Innate brand.. these are awesome very light and water proof
Boots-Vasque Breeze 2.0 but may switch to some Marmots
Head Lamp- I can't remember which brand
AWOL guide book

I still need:
Pack cover for rain
clothes
knife
first aid kit
spork or spoon
rope

I'm not sure what else I need. I may get a bag liner because my bag is a 32 degree.

TheBigHiker
12-03-2012, 21:12
this is an interesting thread. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=46709&startat=40

Pressure D
12-04-2012, 00:14
Just booked my flight to Atlanta, April 8th arriving at 10:40. I hope to be on the trail that afternoon. Boy am I getting psyched.

mgspea00
12-04-2012, 17:29
Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, a 35 degree bag with a liner that adds 10 degrees of warmth is not enough?

mgspea00
12-04-2012, 17:31
I don't mind buying another bag as I don't want the lack of proper equipment to be a reason to send me home.

MuddyWaters
12-04-2012, 19:18
You should have a plan to see temps down to 10 -15 F. Averages are just that, averages. There will be much warmer, and much colder.

Insulating clothing worn in a true 20F bag will get you close enough. A WM Ultralite is really a 17F bag.

Dont count on a liner to add much warmth. Seriously, its a piece of cloth. Marketing spin usually uses terms like "up to X degrees".

Quite a few hikers have used 40F summer bags in conjunction with their clothing. They freeze some nights.
You will not die if the temp plummets, but you wont be comfortable.
Bailing out to town can always be Plan B if you keep up with forecast.

Wasp
12-11-2012, 16:21
due to season and weather every training round would be a winter-night-hike. sun goes down around 4pm, with clouds its darken earlier and this evening the temperature drops to 10.4°F but it´s a good test for the equipment.

doobe01
12-13-2012, 19:51
I am almost ready. I just had to get a new sleeping bag and tent. I've got my sleeping bag and pad, tent, and backpack right at 7.18lbs. Not too bad.

Already have my clothing, cooking gear, trekking poles, and etc because I hike quite a bit anyways. Just need to put the finishing touches on and weed it down.

Hope everyone else is coming along nicely. I'll be starting on March 15th. Can't wait to start!

"Atlas"
12-14-2012, 10:07
I have ditched most of my gear from last season. When I started last year I had a 90 lbs pack. When I got off the Trail it was down to 45 lbs, when I went out this Fall it was down to 35. I am getting a ULA Backpack to cut out my 9 lb bag, I have already swapped out my very heavy sleeping bag for a lighter and even better, smaller bag, that cut out 3 lbs. and a lot of space.

I am up in the air about my tent. I have a Hennesy Hammock its about 2.5 lbs. I am thinking of getting a Tarptent, not much lighter but will give me a real tent........you cant cook in a hammock, you cant move around in a hammock, plus my daughter is hiking with me when summer rolls around so I will need another tent anyway. I love the quality of sleep I get in the hammock, it beats sleeping on rocks, up hills, in the mud..... but it has drawbacks for when I am hiking and not surrounded by trees.

I need a new Rain gear set up that I can use as camp clothes....I love taking off my drenched clothes and putting on my Frogg Toggs at camp so I can dry out while my clothes do the same, but the Frogg Toggs dont last long when worn everyday, especially the ass of the pants.

My budget forecast calls for me getting the new gear and being Trail ready in Mid April, but I am starting from Clingmans Dome so I will be out ahead of the pods a bit, but I hike very slow, and will be lagging behind soon enough.

Hairbear
12-14-2012, 22:16
You should have a plan to see temps down to 10 -15 F. Averages are just that, averages. There will be much warmer, and much colder.

Insulating clothing worn in a true 20F bag will get you close enough. A WM Ultralite is really a 17F bag.

Dont count on a liner to add much warmth. Seriously, its a piece of cloth. Marketing spin usually uses terms like "up to X degrees".

Quite a few hikers have used 40F summer bags in conjunction with their clothing. They freeze some nights.
You will not die if the temp plummets, but you wont be comfortable.
Bailing out to town can always be Plan B if you keep up with forecast. i was wondering my alpinlite is rated 20 ive never been cold in it ,but im searching for its limits every cold night i get.

Hairbear
12-14-2012, 22:19
im still tweaking and overhauling gear,but im down to 27 ish with a four day supply.im starting to get stoked.

Hairbear
12-14-2012, 22:34
Ya it is good to do all of the above but I think that fundamentally the most important thing to get into shape (other than your mind) is your feet. I did a 95 mile hike with a guy that runs sub-15 min 5ks, bikes several hundred miles a week, and swims countless laps in the pool but 3 days into the hike he was nursing 11 blisters. The weight and the way your foot moves on trails is unlike anything you normally do for cardio conditioning. Hiking with weight on as rocky a trail you can find would be the best bet for your feet. I don't have really rocky trails real close so I hike off-trail so as to get the side-to-side twisting necessary to really toughen my feet. ive been using the banks of lakes that are way down due to lack of rain.they are rocky,its great training,rocky ,angled,loose stones ,great knee work out.

TheBigHiker
12-18-2012, 17:30
Things are going pretty well here... although I haven't been super motivated to exercise... Seattle winter is definitely getting to me this year!

Brandon BUNCE
12-26-2012, 01:57
all good got most of mine and my dogs gear just got a couple of things to do thats all

gratefulbob
12-26-2012, 15:32
Please wish me luck on this...I quit smoking tobacco. 48 years old, smoked for 28 of em. In order to complete my epic journey, I must do something epic as well. Fare thee well Phillip and Morris and Brown and Williamson.

fins1838
12-26-2012, 15:49
Planning very little. Got a heavy tent, sleeping bag (30lbs with food). Merrill hiking boots. I'll shread weight as I go & buy what I need. Too much planning, too big a let down when you cant finish; & thats about a 80% chance. Just going for it & the heck with the rest of it.

ChinMusic
12-26-2012, 16:18
Just finished a 5.5-day, 70-mile section hike on the Ozark Highlands Trail with no resupply. Even with the shortest days of the year we seemed to have plenty of time. I didn't mind the 14+ hours of darkness, but it helped that my partner was a stickler for a good campfire every night. This trail was half flat with at least a third being AT-like.

I did have a few older pieces of gear that decided to fail. If this were a thru I would have just replaced them at Neels.

I was fine at the end to keep going. On a thru I would prob have taking a zero just to let the body recover.

turtle fast
01-03-2013, 13:31
Its good that you tested out the gear beforehand. At Neels gap at least you got the hostel if you needed a shower and a bunk to give the back a rest. How did the zpacks gear work out for you?

brandondowell123
01-03-2013, 15:39
I realized today that I have 6 months left until my hike. That's less time than I plan to be out in the woods! I have 90% of the gear I'm going to take with, I run 5 days a weeks with other cardio as well and very slowy saving my money. I was just wondering from the rest of the 2013 class; how are your preparations going? Has anyone dropped out yet?

Still in also. I just bought my plane ticket to maine today. See you guys on the trail!

lobotomized
01-04-2013, 17:31
Just booked my flight to Atlanta March 11. I can't believe the countdown is down to 10 weeks!

sgt easy
01-04-2013, 19:04
doing a 3 day shakedown hike in and around linville gorge starting tomorrow; still waiting on a new pack, since the first one i ordered (granite gear) was beautiful and light, but just didn't have enough room, or provision on the outside for strap-ons. i'll just be using my old alpenlite external framer from 1976 and testing the rest of the (new and old) gear. i'm pretty confident that the osprey aethos, coming in next week, will be plenty big; i mainly want to put some miles on the new boots...
still planning on an early (feb?) start.

TheGreek
01-05-2013, 16:15
I guess I might be in the minority as most of my prep just started. I only decided to Thru-hike back in December, and just got back into the country 2 weeks ago. Of course, as soon as I get back, I got knocked on my ass by a king-hell headcold. I finally got over that, so I'm doing my first week of cardio/gym training to recover from 6 months of sitting at a desk and barely getting exercise.

Gear prep is going ok. Got my new sleeping bag yesterday (Big Agnes Bellyache), ordered my Pack today (Atmos 60) and going through the gear I stashed before I left the country to take inventory of what else I need. Planning to start March 15, and fortunately I am staying rent-free at my parents about 35 miles from the trailhead until then.

The hardest part so far has been cramming my training regimen down to ~2.5 months. I've just loaded my camelback down with weights and cranked the treadmill to the highest incline, and it's definitely kicking my ass. That's what I get for getting fat and lazy. :p

I've been digesting AT books constantly since Christmas, and am super excited to get on the trail. Planning on doing a few day hikes over the next few weeks to check on my joints (worried about one of my knees) and gear fitment.

So stoked.

ChinMusic
01-05-2013, 16:48
Knocked out a 10-mile loop with moderate gain/loss (1300/1300) this morning. The icy trail allowed me to see how my Microspikes would work with my trail runners. I could barely feel the Microspikes under my shoes and had the traction to confidently climb any ice sections. My partner was wearing no traction devices and was doing a bit of slip/sliding.

With the weather so good in northern GA for the first half of January makes me wish I was out there right now.

TheGreek
01-08-2013, 22:02
Up to 3 miles/hour at a 10-12% incline on the treadmill in week one. Added 30 min on the stationary bike as well, and starting on more knee stuff tomorrow. Getting an appointment with a Physical Therapist next week to have a chat with them about the random knee pain I've had since I still have health insurance.

Hoping to get a day hike in on the approach trail this weekend and maybe test out the new tent/sleeping bag as well. Debating pushing my start date back a week to go to trailfest in Dahlonega as a lot of my old College friends will be there.

AAhiker
01-10-2013, 13:26
Still debating whether or not to go stove-less. Seems doable when you consider this is just a bunch of 3,4,5 day hikes.
[email protected]
I am sure you do a lot of hiking and your in ontario, but I learned a while back that hiking without any hot food for even a week can really take away from the enjoyment(I've done longer hikes but always had a stove). Plus at least at the beginning there is something to be said for hot food on a cold day. I downsized my cookware but I wouldn't advise stove-less.