PDA

View Full Version : Negatives of a top quilt?

White Dog Running
09-29-2012, 12:45
Ok, I'm new and very sorry if this topic has been beaten like a dead horse! I"m planning a sobo thru-hike in several years, plus need to upgrade my sleeping bag, and figured I may be able to purchase something now that will suit on the trail.

Background - I'm a 5'4 gal and a side sleeper. But - I'm a side sleeper/toss-and-turner, plus I kick. I have a cheap Coleman Exponent +15 mummy bag now, that without fail, ends up 3/4 of the way unzipped and overtop of me so the hood is on top and I'm sleeping on the pad. I've recently discovered top quilts which seem, in my under educated opinion, the perfect option for a tosser-and-turner.

The weight/size of a quilt is also very appealing. I will not be going UL - I hike with my dog (another discussion, I know), and will need to carry some of his gear, so I want to save weight where I can, but do not want to freeze. Since the shaggy beast will be along, I am strongly considering a 1-man tent instead of a bivy or tarp.

So - my options:
Mummy bag and use it as I have been
Rectangular bag?
Quilt?

Temperature-wise, I'm looking at something in the 0-25 range, like I said, I'm a cold sleeper and greatly prefer to camp in spring/fall.

I'd appreciate any input as to the pros and cons, and would love to hear personal experiences to the quilts as that is the direction I seem to be leaning.

Thanks!

leaftye
09-29-2012, 13:19
The term 'top quilt' is reserved for hammocks as a quilt is always on top when you sleep on the ground. From the rest of your post it sounds like you'll be on the ground.

For those temperatures, I'd get a sleeping bag. You can use a quilt, but I find drafts are unsettling below 20°F even if you don't get cold.

xokie
09-29-2012, 13:23
I've enjoyed a sleeping bag as quilt option for some years. (leaving a little pocket at the bottom for my feet.) Your choice of sleep wear and pad becomes important.

yellowsirocco
09-29-2012, 13:39
You should look at the Mont Bell stretchy bags.

Slo-go'en
09-29-2012, 16:59
You can use a sleeping bag like a quilt by keeping it unzipped and laying it on top of you. You can not use a quilt like a sleeping bag.

A quilt makes sense if your in a hammock or in the middle of summer, but for the rest of the year, go with a real sleeping bag. You will find a bag rated for 30F is not that much heavier or bulkier then a quilt rated for 40F.

There is one other use for a quilt and that is to extend the rating of a bag into the spring and fall "shoulder" season. Adding a quilt rated for 40 or 50 degrees over a sleeping bag rated to say 30 F will give you a lot of extra warmth. Now you can mix and match the two for the seasons. You start and end with the bag + quilt, then go with just the bag, then just the quilt, then the other way as it gets colder again.

Wise Old Owl
09-29-2012, 17:21
You should look at the Mont Bell stretchy bags.

Yea I agree with this... but its outside of my price range... So for White Dog R. how about this continue to use the bag as a top cover and add the lightest down jacket he can afford. When you are about to jump into bed use the bag as an Elephant foot unzipped, and put on a down jacket & thrash like ya mean it - cant come off.... The owl is a cheap bastard at times... what is this going to cost $145 thereabouts? & Keep the current bag get a UL waterproof stuff sack for the combo.

If you are cold zip it and use both... wow 0 degrees - don't forget the fleece beanie.

This is right out of a UL book some 15 years ago... Enjoy your hike....

leaftye
09-29-2012, 17:56
A quilt makes sense if your in a hammock or in the middle of summer, but for the rest of the year, go with a real sleeping bag. You will find a bag rated for 30F is not that much heavier or bulkier then a quilt rated for 40F.

The price difference is huge though. It takes a top tier bag to have a weight comparable to a quilt. That aside, I'd be perfectly content to use a quilt down to freezing. It's below that that it needs to be used more strictly to stay warm and comfortable, which don't always go together as in my example of getting bitter drafts but still staying warm. It's something potential quilt buyers should be aware of if they plan on using it in lower temperatures. I would like to use my quilt to 0°F this winter, but will have a warm sleeping bag nearby in case the drafts get too uncomfortable. I doubt I'll get cold, but it would be nice to move around without drafts shocking me fully out of sleep.

Karma13
09-29-2012, 18:22
I'm switching from a 25* WM bag to a 20* quilt with a liner, which I think will be a much more versatile system for me. I've got a pad with a good R-value, and the weight savings is about 7 ounces overall, which is worth it to me. I'll be experimenting all winter.

White Dog Running
09-29-2012, 21:12
I appreciate all the input, and will switch my vocabulary to just 'quilt' as I don't plan on hanging any time soon :) My big concern is sleeping position - for warmth/drafts I figure I can sleep in clothes, even a jacket if need be. At home I fully utilize an entire queen mattress and find a sleeping bag to be quite constrictive. Are there bags out there that will allow me to kick and toss and turn like normal? Like I said, I'm 5'4 and have a standard sized bag which I generally unzip.

leaftye
09-29-2012, 21:35
Supposedly the Kelty Coromell is very big, but the size comes with a weight penalty. More than a sleeping bag, I would think your sleeping pad would be the next restriction. There are wider air mattresses and foam pads. There are also sleeping bags that you wear like a suit, but the first one I think of it quite silly, and you would either be well loved or ridiculed for using it, plus it generally is horrible in virtually every way. Oh, the second one I think of is by Big Agnus. It's not as silly, but isn't a great performer either. Too bad. I'd love something like that if it were light and packed well.

In any case, when it's cold, chances are that you'll be very mindful of avoiding drafts, so you will refrain from kicking and tossing to keep those drafts from getting sucked in. When it's near 40°F, you'll probably be fine flopping around in a quilt...at least I find 40°F nights to be warm and comfortable, and I'm a San Diegan.

Slo-go'en
09-29-2012, 21:35
The price difference is huge though. It takes a top tier bag to have a weight comparable to a quilt.

I was considering getting a quilt this last spring and I found the prices on quilts to be pretty high for the temp rating.

It's not an easy choice between the two, there are strong arguments both ways. For me, the cost/warmth/weight/size ratio between the quilt and a bag was strongly in the bags favor. I ended up finding a good deal on a Lafuma bag which aren't the best, but are affordable. I used the bag like a quilt along with a liner when it was warm out, but was glad I could zip it up when it got colder.

Lando11
09-29-2012, 22:39
The price difference is huge though. It takes a top tier bag to have a weight comparable to a quilt.

I was considering getting a quilt this last spring and I found the prices on quilts to be pretty high for the temp rating.

It's not an easy choice between the two, there are strong arguments both ways. For me, the cost/warmth/weight/size ratio between the quilt and a bag was strongly in the bags favor. I ended up finding a good deal on a Lafuma bag which aren't the best, but are affordable. I used the bag like a quilt along with a liner when it was warm out, but was glad I could zip it up when it got colder.

Have you checked out hammockgear.com?
20* quilt for $229 that weighs 21 oz. Compare that with a similar weight/warmth bag from something like western mountaineering or feathered friends and you can almost double the price.

Lando11
09-29-2012, 23:01

20* quilt for $229 that weighs 21 oz. Compare that with a similar weight/warmth bag from something like western mountaineering or feathered friends and you can almost double the price.
I forgot to add, lafuma does have some killer deals! A buddy of mine picked up a 40* full zip bag that weighs 1.5lbs for under $100. Can't beat that kinda value

skinewmexico
09-30-2012, 01:23
That would be the first LaFuma that was true to it's temp rating.

Get an Enlightened Equipment Revelation X 20 degree bag with 3 oz of overfill. And a really good pad. Run the straps under the pad, toss and turn to your hearts content.

leaftye
09-30-2012, 01:51
Get an Enlightened Equipment Revelation X 20 degree bag with 3 oz of overfill. And a really good pad. Run the straps under the pad, toss and turn to your hearts content.

I've been using a quilt for the last 3 years and still haven't tried this. I don't know why I'm resisting it. Maybe it's because I think it won't be as warm as when tucked snugly around my body, but I haven't done it on warm nights either. :datz

ChuckBrown
09-30-2012, 03:19
I have almost the same problem as you, I am 5'4" and a side sleeper, in the past I have always used a 20 degree bag as blanket along with a fleece type blanket.I am looking at a therm a rest "sleep system", which includes an air mattress, down quilt and fitted sheet. The quilt attaches to the sheet with snaps, so the quilt covers the pad. Total weight if I replace my current pad and sleeping bag, will save me about pound. Check out you tube for short video on their arrest systems.

STICK
09-30-2012, 12:23
I love my quilts, however, the lowest rated quilt I have is a 35 F EE quilt. I am going to attempt to go colder with it by supplementing down socks, pants and my parka. Next year I plan to grab a lower rated quilt and go even colder.

I am a side sleeper, and I do tend to toss and turn throughout the night, especially for about the first 2-3 nights out. After that I seem to sleep a little better. Anyway, I agree with everyone else that talk about drafts. For using a quilt on the ground, especially in cold weather, a wide quilt is needed to stay warm (at least for side sleepers and squirmers). However, if you take advantage of the closure system on the quilt, then drafts should be almost nonexistent. (YMMV) Of course, a good pad as well as a good hat, or better yet, a balaclava, is also key to staying warm in a quilt.

One thing to keep in mind about those bigger bags is that they are harder to heat up and keep heated up. All that extra air space is just wasting your energy to keep it warm rather than you. A closer fitting bag will concentrate most of the heat on you, however, the tighter the bag, the more confined. For this reason, I think that the stretch bags are the best way to go. Both Sierra Deigns and Montbell make them. As well, ULA even makes a stretch bag (http://www.ula-equipment.com/sleeping-bag.asp) now that may be a good option. And of course, the higher fill ones are lighter, but more expensive. Either way, I would not recommend an over-sized bag.

One other thing to consider, being a woman, many would argue that you should add about 10 degrees to most bag/quilt ratings...so, if it is listed as a 20 F bag, it realistically may be a 30 F bag for a woman.

Hope that this helps some!

garlic08
09-30-2012, 13:06
I just used a quilt for the first time this last summer and was extremely pleased with it. But I don't have the sleeping issues you describe. I did not need to use any straps, though I carried them just in case. I found way more positives than negatives--less weight and bulk, cheaper, and it stayed very clean. The EE Revelation quilt I have was pretty versatile, with a footbox zipper and a hood drawstring. I used the quilt down to its rating, 30F.

bwburgin1015
09-30-2012, 17:36
(null)

I had a Big Agnes Encampment 15 and froze to death at 28. I swapped it for an REI Radiant and love it. It's roomy, warm, and light. I'm a big guy and a side sleeper/toss and turn sleeper. I use the Radiant as a quilt if its not cold...if I'm cold I can get over the restriction. ;)

White Dog Running
09-30-2012, 18:52
...if I'm cold I can get over the restriction. ;)

+1! How true is that! When i'm cold I sleep horrible, I'd much rather be wrapped up like a sausage than be cold!

bear bag hanger
10-02-2012, 10:04
I've been using a JRB top quilt for years, but they are made for hammock hangers. The sides of the hammock help keep it in place. It's not as good on the ground in cold weather. I'm a side sleeper as well and everything has to be perfect when used on the ground to keep me warm, which of course even if things start out perfect, the 1st time you roll around in your sleep, the quilt may fall off. You can get a larger quilt, but they are heavier than the normal width ones.

mamamiapdx
10-11-2012, 22:55
I checked them at my local Costco, they are well made but no hood. I still think with Costco warranty and return policy they are worth giving a try.

88BlueGT
10-12-2012, 12:39
You can use a sleeping bag like a quilt by keeping it unzipped and laying it on top of you. You can not use a quilt like a sleeping bag.

This is true. There is a company that makes a quilt that has a snap up foot box with a drawl string. From what I understand, sleeping on top of compressed down (or other material) kills its insulating value anyway?. So as long as you have a footbox that snaps up a few feet and the rest of the quilt covers you around its much like a bag. I purchased this quilt a year ago (only used it once) and I feel like such an a-hole but at the moment the name escapes me. To the OP, if you want to know the name I'll check my gear list when I get home and post if you're interested. It was pretty cheap, USA made and very light.

jakedatc
10-12-2012, 13:10
I did the LT with a MYOG 12oz synthetic quilt. I'm hoping to get an Enlightened Equipment 20* down bag for spring/fall trips. most non-MYOG quilts come with loops you can put cord around your pad so it doesnt untuck.

i don't get the cost comparisions. if you look at the materials used by cheap crap sleeping bags they are usually using heavier shells and 700 or less fill down which is not as insulated as 800-850 that most cottage places use. If you start comparing apples to apples then you get into the same price range

http://enlightenedequipment.com/revelationx.html

what quilt users know that most bag users ignore is that your sleeping pad has a lot to do with how warm things will be.

Dogwood
10-12-2012, 17:43
I'm switching from a 25* WM bag to a 20* quilt with a liner, which I think will be a much more versatile system for me. I've got a pad with a good R-value, and the weight savings is about 7 ounces overall, which is worth it to me. I'll be experimenting all winter.

I'm in much the same category as Karma 13. For the wt savings, which was only a few ozs, I have been experimenting with a GolLite 3 season 800 down quilt on the CT. It has worked nicely but I did add a 4 oz Cocoon silk liner recently because it helps with drafts in temps near or slightly below 20* as I'm a side sleeper/tosser turner too. Like Karma said it this also adds some versatility. I got mine which I think is well made 1/2 off $400 - 200 = $200 + another 20 % off because I had a discount coupon so I paid $160!

Franco
10-12-2012, 18:42
White Dog Running
Since you feel constricted by a standard sleeping bag , I would consider a three pronged attack..
look at one of those 20f quilts (like the Enlightened Equipment) get an R5 or better mat and try to keep a puffy layer (jacket and pants ) clean and dry so that you can use it inside your quilt.
Don't forget that you lose a lot less heat wearing a hat , socks ( they need to be lose and clean and dry) and gloves.
Note that all of the above bits are things you should have with you anyway

MuddyWaters
10-12-2012, 20:41
my quilt is as roomy as my megalite. There is plenty of room to toss and turn. 56" width vs 64" girth , whats the difference? only a small 8" strip thats missing down the back. I usually have several inches under me on both sides too.. Unless you are really really big, or try to get by with a really small quilt, , staying covered by a quilt isnt an issue

Hairbear
10-13-2012, 07:50
20* quilt for $229 that weighs 21 oz. Compare that with a similar weight/warmth bag from something like western mountaineering or feathered friends and you can almost double the price.yup great people to deal with too check them out.