PDA

View Full Version : Greasy Creek Friendly Hostel, are they open?

STICK
09-29-2012, 15:25
Hi, I am looking to stop at Greasy Creek Friendly Hostel on a hike next month for some lunch. I found an email addy in an old (09) AT Companion guide and just sent and email, but I figured I would post on here too (just in case the email addy is incorrect).

Does anyone know if this hostel is open at this time of year, and if so, do they serve up burgers and such so that we could rely on a lunch while coming through there?

Thanks

Jeff
09-29-2012, 15:55
You can call Connie at (828) 688-9948

STICK
09-29-2012, 16:10
Thanks Jeff!

Rain Man
09-30-2012, 12:32
Does anyone know if this hostel is open at this time of year, and if so, do they serve up burgers and such so that we could rely on a lunch while coming through there?

My daughter and I really enjoyed our stay at the GCF with Connie (aka Ceacy or Cee Cee) a few year ago. We called ahead and she was happy to make arrangements to pick up some things for us at the grocery store on her regular trip there. She did have a menu of sorts, but if you call you can double-check or perhaps make special dietary arrangements of your own.

Make sure you get the blue-blaze directions to her place.

Rain:sunMan

STICK
09-30-2012, 18:35
I talked with Connie on the phone earlier today. She was pleasant to talk with and I look forward to meeting her.

I did not get directions though...is it hard to find her place?

10-K
09-30-2012, 20:49
No... she keeps directions nailed to a tree that you'll see before you get there.

Assuming someone hasn't torn them down. They're usually up when I hike by.

HikerMom58
09-30-2012, 20:59
No... she keeps directions nailed to a tree that you'll see before you get there.

Assuming someone hasn't torn them down. They're usually up when I hike by.

Good to hear she is still open! :)

wornoutboots
09-30-2012, 21:10
I stayed there in October last year, Great Place!! + I got lucky, someone had just dropped off some venison to her, so I had a steak, huge salad & cobbler or pie for dessert : O )

Rain Man
09-30-2012, 21:45
I did not get directions though...is it hard to find her place?

Yes and No. You have to know which "gap" the side trail goes off from. As I recall, the area is used for camping, so it wasn't clearly a place where a side trail existed. She does put up a sign or note, but it often gets torn down. On the old jeep trail down the gap, there are two forks, I think, and you have to know which to take. I don't mean to make it sound harder than it is, though. Just helps to have directions. And, you need to know which place is hers when you come out of the woods.

Rain Man

10-K
09-30-2012, 22:01
If you've got a guide like the "AT Guide" you can use to estimate when you're about a half mile from Greasy Creek Gap then just start paying attention and look for a sign with directions.

If the NOBO sign is torn down and you feel like you've passed the gap then start turning around and look for directions nailed to the tree for SOBOs to see.

Another way to tell when you're close is that you'll see a "Water" sign pointing downhill to your left. In the gap the AT crosses a depression - kind of like a big ditch - you won't mistake it.... Make a right and head down the hill to get to the hostel.

Blissful
09-30-2012, 22:17
I had no problem finding it, at least in 2010. Her neighbor is wacko. Tried to bother me inside the hostel. I slept through his noise and lights.

STICK
09-30-2012, 23:49
Thanks. I told her that I will call her again the day before I will be there to let her know we are still coming, so I will be sure to ask her then. I will also ask Mary or Terry when we get to their place too...

ChinMusic
10-01-2012, 00:33
Yes and No. You have to know which "gap" the side trail goes off from. As I recall, the area is used for camping, so it wasn't clearly a place where a side trail existed. She does put up a sign or note, but it often gets torn down. On the old jeep trail down the gap, there are two forks, I think, and you have to know which to take. I don't mean to make it sound harder than it is, though. Just helps to have directions. And, you need to know which place is hers when you come out of the woods.

Rain Man

The time I went through there I looked for the side trail but somehow missed it. I did meet Connie at Hughes Gap by coincidence. She says the sign does get removed at times.

wornoutboots
10-03-2012, 20:54
at the gap, it easy to see the jeep road, but it can get a little confusing heading down to the hostel, they do have little green lizards painted on the rocks now to help keep you on track.

Firefighter503
10-04-2012, 06:45
Like it has been said already, the sign pointing down the side trail/jeep trail is torn down often from her neighbor. IIRC, once you make the right (going NOBO) off the trail, you will follow that down a ways, and then make a left/U-turn down another trail after a bit. She had rocks made into an arrow when I went through. Once you come out of the woods, there is a split rail fence on your left (the a-hole neighbor, who likes to leave his riding mower running at the fence early in the morning) and the bunkhouse on the right. Her house is just behind the bunkhouse - you'll know it when you see it. Connie is awesome, a real great person to sit and talk with during a lightning storm. Try and get slack-packed SOBO from the next Gap back to the hostel - shouldn't take more than a couple hours, and is a much more pleasant hike going south IMO.

STICK
10-04-2012, 22:04
Thanks again for the info. As I said, I will give her a call the day before I plan to come through that area and I will be sure to ask her then about the current signs/markings...

I am not big on the whole "slackpacking" thing...it may sound crazy, but I actually enjoy carrying my pack with me, I look forward to it...although, that may have something to do with how light it is too... :) However, we have a point A to point B hike planned, so doing some areas one way and others the other way would not be ideal... So, I am looking forward to strapping my pack on and hiking the trail!