PDA

View Full Version : The Barn in Atkins, VA

Carl Calson
09-29-2012, 18:54
just wanted to give y'all a heads up. my friend got her drop box broken into at The Barn in Atkins, VA. We never found out who did it, and I don't want to jump to conclusions and blame the restaurant, but if it's got feathers and clucks, it's probably a chicken. Half her food was missing, along with 5 months worth of birth control and a brand new digital camera. the food at The Barn, however, was pretty good.

HikerMom58
09-29-2012, 20:06
Hum... this isn't the first time I've heard that same prob. with that Barn in Atkins. That sucks!! I'm glad the food was good!
I hope someone can figure out exactly what happened this time.

Mountain Mojo
09-29-2012, 20:10
The last time my bf and I were there was for the Sunday buffet and that trip was the last time for me. I got a chicken leg and some wilted brown lettuce while waiting for them to put more food out, which they assured everyone was on the way. This was around 12:30 as I believe the buffet starts at 11 am and ends at 2 pm. They kept seating more people, alot of them elderly and just out of church, charging them for the buffet, KNOWING they were not going to be putting enough food out even for the people already there to have one serving; as we overheard one of the cooks telling a waitress they only had 20 pieces of chicken which was being grilled, not fried. Meanwhile, people were just sitting there anticipating being fed, since they were paying full price for the buffet... It was a joke! We got up and left and when paying the bill, which was full price, we were asked if everything was okay!!! I told them it would've been if I didn't have a $21.00 bill for a damn chicken leg, she didn't even OFFER to discount the bill~ I felt so, so sorry for those older folks waiting for a meal which never came...

Lone Wolf
09-29-2012, 20:13
i've eaten there. it's just OK. nothin' to write home about. and i certainly wouldn't send a box with valuables to a restaurant

HikerMom58
09-29-2012, 20:14
The last time my bf and I were there was for the Sunday buffet and that trip was the last time for me. I got a chicken leg and some wilted brown lettuce while waiting for them to put more food out, which they assured everyone was on the way. This was around 12:30 as I believe the buffet starts at 11 am and ends at 2 pm. They kept seating more people, alot of them elderly and just out of church, charging them for the buffet, KNOWING they were not going to be putting enough food out even for the people already there to have one serving; as we overheard one of the cooks telling a waitress they only had 20 pieces of chicken which was being grilled, not fried. Meanwhile, people were just sitting there anticipating being fed, since they were paying full price for the buffet... It was a joke! We got up and left and when paying the bill, which was full price, we were asked if everything was okay!!! I told them it would've been if I didn't have a $21.00 bill for a damn chicken leg, she didn't even OFFER to discount the bill~ I felt so, so sorry for those older folks waiting for a meal which never came...

Good Grief!!! :(

HikerMom58
09-29-2012, 20:16
i've eaten there. it's just OK. nothin' to write home about. and i certainly wouldn't send a box with valuables to a restaurant

I believe they advertise themselves as a drop box location.... they are supposed to be trustworthy.

Mountain Mojo
09-29-2012, 20:17
There's been a few backpacks that have been stolen there as well...

Lone Wolf
09-29-2012, 20:20
I believe they advertise themselves as a drop box location.... they are supposed to be trustworthy.

that means nothing. drug addicted thievs don't care

HikerMom58
09-29-2012, 20:21
There's been a few backpacks that have been stolen there as well...

That's the sort of thing that i have heard about the Barn. There's been a warning put out about this place in the past. I forgot about it until I saw this post.

Mountain Mojo
09-29-2012, 20:24
Neither do drug~addicted waitresses! Im a local so I probably hear more than what's posted...

HikerMom58
09-29-2012, 20:26
Neither do drug~addicted waitresses! Im a local so I probably hear more than what's posted...

I'm sure you do. Thanks for letting us know .....

Mountain Mojo
09-29-2012, 20:31
Not a problem, HikerMomKD...

Don H
09-29-2012, 20:38
The alternative for a drop is the Relax Inn down the road, they charge $5.
My 2011 A.T. Guide doesn't list The Barn as accepting mail drops.

Mountain Mojo
09-29-2012, 20:40
The Atkins post office has also reopened...

doritotex
09-29-2012, 21:12
Thank god they are in need of birth control pills I'm Atkins, Va. I hope that they put them to good use!

Carl Calson
09-30-2012, 00:37
hey mountain mojo, do you know a man named richard hamm? he picked us up at the barn and let us stay at his place in atkins. had some real interesting stories to tell and was a great trail angel.

Mountain Mojo
09-30-2012, 02:15
Can't say I do Carl, he sounds like a great guy! I'm right down the road in Marion...

Rain Man
09-30-2012, 12:28
just wanted to give y'all a heads up. my friend got he]r drop box broken into at The Barn in Atkins, VA.

THANKS for reporting this on WB, ... but did you report it to the authorities? They are the ones who need this info! If druggies are doing this, no one on here is going to be able to do anything about the problem (the box is merely they symptom). If you haven't, please consider reporting this to law enforcement. If this problem is as chronic as some indicate, law enforcement needs to know ... and maybe even do a sting and put a stop to it. Unless victims speak up, they are just allowing others to become victims.

Rain Man

Jeff
09-30-2012, 12:37
My 2011 A.T. Guide doesn't list The Barn as accepting mail drops.

The 2012 Companion does list them as a maildrop.

I will try and get Rambunny to follow up on this. She used to work there.

HikerMom58
09-30-2012, 13:03
The 2012 Companion does list them as a maildrop.

I will try and get Rambunny to follow up on this. She used to work there.

Good deal Jeff, did you or anyone else (Mountain MoJo) hear that the place changed owners? If it's true, I think the place seemed to get a bad rep. after that.

I agree with Rain Man... someone needs to get on this ASAP!

bigcranky
09-30-2012, 17:55
Well, the 2013 Companion will list them as a maildrop location, too. Stopped by there on our research trip and talked to the staff, seemed okay at the time, said they still accepted maildrops. Will follow up with this next year.

I'd send a mail drop to the Atkins PO, or hitch a ride into Marion for an overnight stay and resupply if it were me.

Carl Calson
09-30-2012, 18:04
we did call the police and filed a report. nothing has come of it.

yellowsirocco
09-30-2012, 18:11
I don't know why people use this crossroads as a mail drop. There is the shuttle into Marion from Mt Rogers HQ the day before. Sure you lose a half a day, but at least it is a real town.

Pedaling Fool
09-30-2012, 20:47
Put a Black Mamba (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_mamba#Behaviour) snake in your drop box; Black Mamba's are also good for aggressive dogs and horses in GSMNP.

"black mambas will kill a dog or several dogs if threatened and it happens quite often. We also find dead cows and horses! We were called by the frantic family late one evening. When we arrived minutes later, two small dogs had already died and two more were showing severe symptoms of envenomation. Within 15 minutes we had found and bagged the snake. By this time the other two dogs were also dead. The snake must have been moving through the garden when it was attacked by the dogs. It would have struck out defensively, biting all the dogs that came within reach. The snake was bitten in several places on its body as well and died about a week later.

Similarly, black mambas have been witnessed confronting, biting, and subsequently killing lions and other large predators, such as spotted hyenas and leopards, in defense of their territory, eggs, or when the predators stand between the snakes and their prey."

Lugnut
09-30-2012, 21:26
Great idea but they are difficult to find in Virginia.

wornoutboots
09-30-2012, 21:31
I ate Lunch, dinner & Breakfast at The Barn when I hiked thru there @ 2 months ago, I was very happy with the food but I agree, it doesn't look like I place I would send a package for hold to. I also stayed at the Relax in, (it's nearly acroos the street) it may be a better option. The nice things about these 2 places is that both are literally right on the trail

Blissful
09-30-2012, 22:21
I bought at the convenience store. Expensive though.

rambunny
10-08-2012, 14:40
Sorry i didn't see this thread earlier-Missy has owned The Barn for 5 years, i know they had some staff problems,but i think she has corrected some of them.I know she has done alot for hikers in the past. I think a good rule of thumb is in a small area as ours where the economy is dismal there is a high turnover of employees,so, sure send food ect. but send valubles & money thru the post office.Maybe it's partially my fault for not overseeing it,but we have been quite consumed by Aqua's dialysis & my 2 jobs. We miss having the hostel. I wouldn't count the Barn out as a place to eat-sounds like a bad day-they happen.

Carl Calson
10-09-2012, 21:02
the food was good, but i wouldn't send a package there.

Quadzilla
10-12-2012, 08:32
Rambunny knows the Trail and is all about the Trail. The short time I stayed with her and Aqua back in 2010 has influenced me on a personal level. God Bless them both and trust what she says.