PDA

View Full Version : Maps for GPS?

NeanderJoel
09-30-2012, 07:39
This question might be a little too specific, but I was wondering if anybody might know a cheaper option for loading topo maps onto a Garmin GPS? I wanted to get the maps for a wider picture in case I get lost or need to bail out for whatever reason. I've looked through ebay and found that buying the 4 relevant states for Garmin costs around $250 all up. Of course, I was looking at the USGS maps with a 1:24000 scale, when you can get a 1:100,000 scale map for Northern America for much cheaper, but I don't know if this would be sufficient. I have a GPSMAP 62s in case it matters.

10-K
09-30-2012, 08:07
Download them free from gpsfiledepot.com.

NeanderJoel
09-30-2012, 08:11
I did find that website, I'm just worried about the accuracy of the maps, since it's possible that I may be depending on them for my life.

10-K
09-30-2012, 08:16
And you don't want to spend more than $250 for your life?

:)

10-K
09-30-2012, 08:19
Man, don't skimp on maps and guidebooks. Whenever I see someone talking about not wanting to spend a few hundred dollars on proper guides and maps to save money it makes me wonder. Save money somewhere else...

Having said that, I do believe the topos on gpsfiledepot.com are the same that you would download from topozone.com.

The Old Boot
09-30-2012, 08:20
Have you checked to see if Ibycus has maps available for where you want. If so, I can recommend them for the accuracy. I use them exclusively in my 60Csx.

10-K
09-30-2012, 08:58
By the way I am talking about non-HD trail

10-K
09-30-2012, 08:58
Non AT trails like the CDT.

handlebar
09-30-2012, 14:04
Be sure to get the Bear Creek Survey Waypoints for the official CDT. Also recommend getting the tracks of the Ley routes on the sticky at the top of this forum. Most people follow one of the alternates in NM thru the Gila rather than the official Black Mtn route on which there's iirc a 150 mile stretch between resupply opportunities.

NeanderJoel
10-01-2012, 11:32
Thanks for the help guys, I'm not going to skimp, I'm just trying to see if I can find a way around the hefty price tag. I got the Bear Creek Waypoints, I'll be buying all his maps too once the updates are published. I hear they're really accurate. I've downloaded Ley's maps too and sent him a donation, though I haven't looked at what route I'll be taking yet.

bad biscuit
10-01-2012, 13:08
I have downloaded from gpsfiledepot and used them in various different locations in two states. I have found them to be accurate and if between my gps (mostly used to track my route), and using map and compass I have no issues. YMMV.

bamboo bob
10-01-2012, 17:30
I bit the bullet and bought the S, C, N Mountain maps from Garmin on microdisc. Unless you are a geek getting the maps into your device can be a nightmare of manipulation. I was happy to get them on disc that I can just insert. The bear creek points can all be loaded into the device but not the back ground maps all at once. For that you need to switch out the discs. For me it is worth the money. For geeks it might not be. But I eliminated the frustration, errors, and stress of screwing with it and I am happy I did.

SunnyWalker
10-15-2012, 22:09
NeanderJoe: I bit the bullet and purchased maps on the little mem cards from Garmin. Its $99.00 a region and some of the regions cover more than one state. For the reason you gave, thats why I spent the money. No cutting corners here.I just went to the official Garmin Site. Purchased the GARMIN stuff for my Garmin GPS, no slip ups at this point. You might look at them if you have not.

NeanderJoel
10-15-2012, 22:36
Yeah.. I probably will end up buying them eventually.. I have another 6 month to decide, though