PDA

View Full Version : ?#@&*%!

LDog
09-30-2012, 10:29
I made it southbound to Manchester Center, saw myself naked in front of a mirror, and I was horribly asymmetrical! A big ole lump in my lower right abdomen reminiscent of the scene in Aliens when the creature was pushing itself out of the marine's stomach (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVZUVeMtYXc). A trip to the med center confirmed my suspicions. I have a hernia. The doc said that while most folks can go for years with a hernia, mine was a bit sizable and the risk of being a few days away from a road when my intestines decide to sneak out and get strangulated, was an unacceptable risk...

So, I'm home. Again. Surgery is in three weeks. I'm updating my blog, researching publishers of photo books, and thinking about spring ...

Slo-go'en
09-30-2012, 10:34
Bummer. Good thing you noticed the problem before it became a real problem. Some things you just can't "walk off" and hope it gets better by it's self.

Rain Man
09-30-2012, 12:12
Take care and get well soon!

Rain:sunMan

Spirit Walker
09-30-2012, 12:34
Sorry to hear this. A friend of mine had the same issue but didn't find out until she got home. She said that explained why she had to get up so many times in the night since it stopped after her surgery.

LDog
09-30-2012, 13:54
Sorry to hear this. A friend of mine had the same issue but didn't find out until she got home. She said that explained why she had to get up so many times in the night since it stopped after her surgery.

That would be a welcome change ...

Spokes
09-30-2012, 15:03
I hiked with a fellow (Tagless) who got a hernia on the trail back in 2009 and had to have surgery for it. Doctor cleared him to get back on the trail after only 2 weeks. He describes it here:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=269970

Far cry from the 6 weeks I was laid up when I had mine repaired in the mid-1980's

I know, everybody's situation is different.....

Cheers!

Hikes in Rain
09-30-2012, 15:33
Bad news, LDog, but at least it's a relatively minor surgery. (Of course, the definition of "minor" is whether or not it's happening to you.) Been through it myself, although mine was discovered during a routine physical apparently very shortly after it happened. If you'd like to chat about it, please don't hesitate.

jimmyjam
09-30-2012, 16:14
Sorry your hike got cut short, but at least you caught it early and maybe you can get back on the trail in a few weeks.

LDog
10-01-2012, 09:59
Been through it myself, although mine was discovered during a routine physical apparently very shortly after it happened. If you'd like to chat about it, please don't hesitate.

Thanks folks. I set off this spring with the goal of thru-hiking the trail, camera in hand. But with 650 miles completed, I am resigned to completing the remaining 1530 in one or more sections. At this point, I'm planning to get back on the trail in early spring. That'll put me on the trail at a time when I can photograph the trail with the people who are hiking her, the friends of the trail who support them, the festivals, as well as the incredible landscapes.

Blissful
10-01-2012, 10:08
You're doing the right thing. The trail is going nowhere. Heal up first.

Hairbear
10-01-2012, 18:17
sorry to hear your news keep your chin up ,it will be all good again

Smalleye
10-02-2012, 22:41
Hey...my belly button pushed out on me at Jennings Creek. Went to the e-room in Roanoake, via magic, and they took the duct tape off my mid section and said see ya later. I was lucky. Summitted on 8/18 and never had a problem. Now, I suppose, I'll address the alien. Hernias come in all sizes and degrees. Hope you get it stuffed back up and carry on.

All Smiles

Different Socks
10-02-2012, 23:21
Did my 1992 thru only 3 weeks after hernia surgery. Why do you have to wait 3 weeks for your surgery?

LDog
10-03-2012, 00:51
Did my 1992 thru only 3 weeks after hernia surgery. Why do you have to wait 3 weeks for your surgery?

I was taking prednisone for inflammation in my foot, and the surgeon wants me off of that for three weeks before surgery.

LDawg
http://bit.ly/LDawg