PDA

View Full Version : Condition reports - Wise

BlackCloud
05-10-2005, 09:55
I stayed @ this shelter back in May of 2001. Of standard design, it is located near a quaint stream that was raging the night we stayed there. A spring is right off the AT, where you can look up & see the southernmost end of the above-treeline stretch of AT going thru Grayson Highlands State Park. This is a great location to stay in winter, if needing to get just below treeline.

jlb2012
09-09-2005, 13:14
camped near Wise on Friday 2 Sep 2005 - no register to be found, spring was doing OK but I would get my water from the nearby stream, privy is new from last year - a very wide open design - the one wall looks more like a billboard than a privacy screen - someone should post Leave No Trace or some other informative signs on it for decoration :)

btw very nice area for hammock camping just "AT north" of Wise across into NF area - cross bridge, go up bank and look to the left pass the second fire ring.

Skyline
09-09-2005, 18:07
camped near Wise on Friday 2 Sep 2005 - no register to be found, spring was doing OK but I would get my water from the nearby stream, privy is new from last year - a very wide open design - the one wall looks more like a billboard than a privacy screen - someone should post Leave No Trace or some other informative signs on it for decoration :)

btw very nice area for hammock camping just "AT north" of Wise across into NF area - cross bridge, go up bank and look to the left pass the second fire ring.

HOI, when I went thru there last October the new moldering privy had just been built. "Wide open" is an understatement! The view from the Trail would qualify for an FCC fine if it was broadcast on TV. Hopefully they have, or will, provide a little more privacy!

B Thrash
06-06-2006, 20:12
Scout troop or some school group held up there 29 May 06 and 1 Jun 06 and the place was a mess so I moved on. Could tell that they have not had a "Leave No Trace Class".

FlyPaper
06-12-2007, 14:29
HOI, when I went thru there last October the new moldering privy had just been built. "Wide open" is an understatement! The view from the Trail would qualify for an FCC fine if it was broadcast on TV. Hopefully they have, or will, provide a little more privacy!

Indeed, quite wide open. It's like doing your business on a stage. I felt like I should take a bow when done. And the lack of walls on the privy is not made up for with tree cover. You can see clearly 1000 yards in front of you from the privy (and be seen from that distance too).