PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Atmos 50

Praha4
09-30-2012, 18:24
I've never owned an Osprey pack, but see a bunch of them on the trail.... I'm looking at the 2012 version of the Osprey Atmos 50 pack on sale at a few websites..... looks like a decent pack, and I know a couple hikers who love their Atmos 65....

anyone out there used the Atmos 50, and could give any comments, pro or con?

tia

JybbaGirl
09-30-2012, 20:16
I have both the 65 and the 50. For my AT hike I used the 65 and it was the right size for cold weather gear. The 50 or even a little smaller would work well for the summer months. I loved both packs though and would say the pros are the hipbelt pockets, the removable brain, and the many compartments. The only con I really have is that it's not really "cushy". It's comfortable, but not exactly padded. Hope this helps.

Papa D
09-30-2012, 21:44
The 50 is the perfect size for 3-season AT backpacking - cut off all the excess straps - ice axe loops, etc.

slow mind
09-30-2012, 21:57
I think my 65 is great. One note on these packs though, try it on before you buy. They are not adjustable and while they have sizes to fit most people they are some folks that the Atmos sizes just don't fit right.

daddytwosticks
10-01-2012, 07:14
I have a very old Atmos 50 (2005?). It's my go-to pack in the warmer months when I go out for several days. Love the ventilation. +1 to Papa D's note about cutting off stuff. :)

Whack-a-mole
10-01-2012, 14:33
I had the Aether 70 model, and it was ok for me, but at the price you pay for them I felt that it should have been better than "ok". I took it back and bought a GoLite quest, and like it much better. I only have weekend trips on it so far, but I'll put a longer trip on it in a couple weeks, and I'll give a full write up on it then.

Texico
10-14-2012, 01:14
I used an Atmos 50 for my section hike from Springer Mtn. to Damascus this year. It worked perfectly for me. I started in mid-March with my winter-ish gear and everything fit in the pack just perfectly. I carried a 15* down bag and a down jacket among other things (overkill for most of my hike) and the 50L Atmos was an awesome pack to use. I really like mine, but I have the 2011 version. I think I would like the 2012 even more due to the slightly thicker padding (my collarbone got a bit sore at the beginning of my hike). If you don't have high end extremely compressible gear then the 65 might be a better all-around choice.

jeffbfox
10-22-2012, 18:24
I think my 65 is great. One note on these packs though, try it on before you buy. They are not adjustable and while they have sizes to fit most people they are some folks that the Atmos sizes just don't fit right.

The new (2012+) Osprey Atmos and Aura packs are adjustable. They feature an updated version of the AirSpeed suspension that allows for 3" of torso adjustability to fine tune the fit. The Hipbelts are the new Fit-On-The-Fly versions with a total of 6" of adjustment. There are still S, M, and L sizes of the pack so you are right about trying it on and making sure that you get the right size. Starting with the right size pack, you can then fine tune the adjustments to completely dial it in.