PDA

View Full Version : Water report: Sam's Gap to Iron Mtn Gap

beaudetious
10-01-2012, 00:28
I'll be hiking this section soon and I'm only familiar with the southern section after Big Bald shelter in NC. Any one have an update on the water conditions in this section?

10-K
10-01-2012, 06:42
Good to go.

beaudetious
10-01-2012, 10:36
Good to go.

That's good news. This is the first time I've headed North past Bald Mountain shelter (well a little past that, actually) so I have no clue what to expect water-wise. I can tell you the places on the trail between Clingman's Dome and Bald Mountain Shelter where you can tank up or when you should carry more or less water.

So, on this section... would carrying 2L of water in a bladder be sufficient or overkill? Is there enough water sources that cameling up and not carrying much water be a good enough practice?

Your neighbor to the south,
Beaudetious

10-K
10-01-2012, 10:56
I would carry a quart probably most people would carry 2.

In the 13 miles between Sam's gap and spivey gap there are two reliable water sources.

In the 10 miles between spivey gap and Erwin I can think of two reliable water sources.

Into 9 miles between Erwin an Indian grave gap I can think of three sources.

And in the 11 miles between Indian grave gap and iron Mountain gap I can think of three reliable water sources.

beaudetious
10-01-2012, 11:04
I would carry a quart probably most people would carry 2.

In the 13 miles between Sam's gap and spivey gap there are two reliable water sources.

In the 10 miles between spivey gap and Erwin I can think of two reliable water sources.

Into 9 miles between Erwin an Indian grave gap I can think of three sources.

And in the 11 miles between Indian grave gap and iron Mountain gap I can think of three reliable water sources.

Excellent information. Sounds like I'll carry a liter or so in my bladder tucked away in my backpack and just use my 1/2 liter nalgene to tank up at the different sources.

Thanks for the details.

beaudetious
10-11-2012, 07:29
You were spot on, 10K. I rarely needed to use the ol' water bladder. Thanks.

10-K
10-11-2012, 08:30
Glad you had a good hike. I did an overnighter between Devil's Fork Gap and Erwin Monday and even all the seasonal water sources were flowing strong.