PDA

View Full Version : Layers For Feb Start

Josh Calhoun
10-01-2012, 09:03
need some opinions on my layers. IYO would this be enough for a mid Feb start?

Patagonia Nano Puff Pullover Jacket
Smartwool Midweight long sleeve top
Smartwool Midweight Long pants
Synthetic hiking shirt
REI Zip Off Hiking Pants
Nike Running Shorts
Mountian Hardwear Nutt Shell High Gators
Smartwool Expedition Trekking Socks
Packa Rain Gear
Gloves
Wool Hat

The Solemates
10-01-2012, 09:16
I'd add another layer for your top, and also something else for your face/head.

i started 1 feb. up top i had:

mid weight rain jacket (marmot precip)
300 weight fleece jacket
100 weight fleece jacket
long sleeve wicking tee-shirt
capilene zip-tee (long sleeve long underwear type)

i certainly used every piece of clothing i had in many cases.

Blissful
10-01-2012, 10:03
Don't need shorts if you have zip offs. I used a down jacket for an early March start. I dislike gaiters. Hope you have more than 1 pr of socks.

Tipi Walter
10-01-2012, 11:28
need some opinions on my layers. IYO would this be enough for a mid Feb start?

Patagonia Nano Puff Pullover Jacket
Smartwool Midweight long sleeve top
Smartwool Midweight Long pants
Synthetic hiking shirt
REI Zip Off Hiking Pants
Nike Running Shorts
Mountian Hardwear Nutt Shell High Gators
Smartwool Expedition Trekking Socks
Packa Rain Gear
Gloves
Wool Hat

This I would call a late Autumn clothing kit and not something for mid-February. February is a kick-butt month for cold (but disregard last year as it was unseasonably warm---this winter won't be). I have the Smartwool tops and bottoms and they are very thin and like I said, good for Autumn. You can get a larger midweight top to sandwich over your current smartwool top which will help. The smartwool long john bottoms are also very thin.

I know you don't have extra money to burn but I'd go with Icebreaker tops (2) in the 320 and 260 weights with the zip necks and thumbhole sleeves. For bottoms I'd go Icebreaker too.

The Nano pullover is super thin and way underpowered for February. Sure, keep it for a layer over your merino but plan on getting a goose down jacket for in camp warmth. Something like a WM Meltdown which is super light and excellent. And for February I would carry a good pair of down pants.

And then you not only need a good tuque (like a Turtle Fur hat) but also a balaclava to wear under the hat for more warmth. And always carry two pair of gloves---fleece or primaloft or whatever---cuz one pair will get wet and you need a backup just like you need a backup for socks. One pair of socks to wear---wet or dry---and one pair always dry for sleeping.

Josh Calhoun
10-01-2012, 13:39
i do a good bit of winter hiking. for days in the 20's and high teens i have always been good with what i have. im worried about the snow mostly. throwing in a heavier rain jacket would probably be a good idea. any rain jacket yall suggest?

if the winter is mild like last year i shouldnt have a problem, but thats not something i can plan on

RED-DOG
10-01-2012, 13:48
Personally i would get rid of the Shorts, And the Gaitors don't need them.

Slo-go'en
10-01-2012, 14:15
You don't need to wear much while your hiking, the thing to worry about is staying warm when your not. You need a seriously warm jacket for when in camp. And something warm and dry to put on your feet, as your boots will often be wet and very cold when not hiking.

Nylon zip off pants are too thin for cold weather hiking. One popular option are mid weight thermal long johns with shorts and gaiters. Add rain pants if needed depending on conditions. (wind/rain/snow) Although some don't like gaiters, I think they are imparative to keep the bottoms of your pants dry(ish) and free of mud. It will be wet and it will be muddy - a lot.

Don't forget a warm hat and gloves.

All in all, it's difficult to give advice on clothing, as everyone is different and has different systems. Unfortunetly, it's not easy to experiment and figure out what works best for you once your out on the trail. Best to err on the warm side.

Also, you kinda need two of every thing, as one set will get wet and you need a dry set for camp. One of the most difficult things about camping/hiking in cold temps is putting on the cold, damp or wet clothes in the morning. You must resist the temptation to start hiking with your camp clothes, no matter what.

Whack-a-mole
10-01-2012, 14:22
Don't get rid of the shorts. I did Springer to Unicoi last Feb, and all I wore while walking was shorts. Even when it was in the teens, shorts are fine. Now I'll admit, when you stop for a trail bar or something, you will cool off real fast. When you get to a shelter, give it 15 mins, shuck out of the damp walking clothes into some long pants, shirt and jacket, and you will be nice and toasty.

two isles
10-01-2012, 15:59
I ditched my rain jacket the first week. And no to the gaitors really. I only used Dirty Girl gators in Mass for maybe a 100 miles. I only brought Smartwool, this lightest weight ones, for a top and bottom to sleep. Sent them home after GA. Only wore shorts for hiking.

The Solemates
10-01-2012, 16:11
You must resist the temptation to start hiking with your camp clothes, no matter what.

I've been winter hiking for 25+ years and I've never once taken "camp clothes".

Tipi Walter
10-01-2012, 16:44
I've been winter hiking for 25+ years and I've never once taken "camp clothes".

Camp clothes are down booties, down jacket, down pants. You can't backpack in these and not overheat.

T.S.Kobzol
10-01-2012, 17:07
I don't know about down south from new England but

+1 for down booties, down pants and down jacket. Balaclava, dachstein mitts + OR mitts with 2 liners. Neck gaiter is great. Wool hat with ear flaps. Use all interchangeably based on conditions. Icebreaker is great as it is good quality and durable.

Camp clothes are down booties, down jacket, down pants. You can't backpack in these and not overheat.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Tipi Walter
10-01-2012, 17:19
I don't know about down south from new England but

+1 for down booties, down pants and down jacket. Balaclava, dachstein mitts + OR mitts with 2 liners. Neck gaiter is great. Wool hat with ear flaps. Use all interchangeably based on conditions. Icebreaker is great as it is good quality and durable.

Yeah, I love my Icebreaker thumb-hole tops even though they are a bit heavy. The Icebreaker balaclava is tight and may not work for everyone, esp those with a swollen head, etc. ha ha ha.

T.S.Kobzol
10-01-2012, 22:18
:-)

Yeah, I love my Icebreaker thumb-hole tops even though they are a bit heavy. The Icebreaker balaclava is tight and may not work for everyone, esp those with a swollen head, etc. ha ha ha.

Donde
10-01-2012, 22:20
I would add a neck gaiter. I am a big fan of Turtle Fur for that.

Josh Calhoun
10-03-2012, 10:37
im not worried to much about bieng cold in camp. i have a O degree bag and i like to make a fire and relax after a long day of hiking.

Tipi Walter
10-03-2012, 14:40
im not worried to much about bieng cold in camp. i have a O degree bag and i like to make a fire and relax after a long day of hiking.

Don't depend on a fire for in-camp warmth. There could/will be a foot of snow, there could be sleet conditions with soaked hiking clothes and miserable conditions for a fire, there could be high winds in dry conditions, and after a tough day of humpage you won't feel like screwing with a fire.

Josh Calhoun
10-04-2012, 12:45
not solely depending on a fire. but even after a 20+ day when conditions are right i always make one. i enjoy it

Josh Calhoun
10-11-2012, 09:38
i added a fleece jacket and also purchased a marmot precip rain jacket to the gear list. i believe i am good now

The Solemates
10-11-2012, 14:54
Camp clothes are down booties, down jacket, down pants.

I understand what you call camp clothes. I'm simply saying they are not needed below the mason dixon. They are a luxury. I'm sure I'd like having them when I'm in camp in the winter, but before the trip starts I cant justify carrying the extra weight. They arent needed.

You can't backpack in these and not overheat.

I would certainly agree with that.