PDA

View Full Version : SOBO Approach Question

RITBlake
05-10-2005, 12:15
I read some of the other threads about the begining of the approach trail. Let me make sure I get this right.

Basically for a June 1st start, we would have to enter the park below katahdin say at katahdin stream campground. Hike North to summit Katahdin. Then turn around and hike south and backtrack back to Katahdin stream campground along the AT?

Did I explain that clearly?

RITBlake
05-10-2005, 12:16
I'm struggling because the map at the baxter website is terrible.

How long does it usually take the average hiker to climb from KSC to Katahdin and back to KSC?

Jack Tarlin
05-10-2005, 12:31
RIT:

You have it perfectly. Although you could presumably come down the mountain on another Trail if you wished, tho the Abol Trail can be pretty challenging (it's steep with a lot of loose rock!). You probably will end up coming down the same trail (Hunt/A.T) that you went up, this is probably the easiest and most convenient thing to do.

As for how long it'll take, it depends on all sorts of factors:

*Your condition.
*Hiking alone, or with a slower partner?
*Weather that day
*Recent weather.....is it muddy? Is there rime ice up top, etc.
*Are you carrying your full pack up top or just taking a day pack?

For most people, it should take about 3-4 hours to get up top, assuming the weather is OK, and slightly less time getting down.

And if you need a better map, I suggest very strongly you get the recently revised Maine AT Guidebook/Map Set; the maps are excellent, and the book contains much useful information about Baxter, as well as the rest of Maine.

The book and map set are available either from the ATC or the Maine A.T. Club. The Maine club might also have other maps available that are better than the ones you've seen so far. Their address is www.matc.org

RITBlake
05-10-2005, 13:45
Thanks Jack, great advice.

I'm going to make my reservations today. My dad is going to drive us up so we're gonna book a hotel. That way he doesnt have to drive all the way back after sleeping in a cold, uncomfortable shelter.

oh yah and ...

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

Peaks
05-10-2005, 16:15
There are other trails up Katahdin, so you don't necessarily need to do an in-and-out on the same trail. Get a map.

However, by June 1, the only trail that might be open is the Hunt Trail (AT). It's got a southern exposure, and therefore is the first trail up that opens in the spring.

TJ aka Teej
05-10-2005, 19:09
First: Watch for moose in the road along Rte 95, especially north of Augusta. And I hope you have a spot at Katahdin Stream for the nights before and after your climb.
Now to your questions: The trail from Katahdin Stream Campground to Baxter Peak is called the Hunt Trail, but it is in fact the last/first 5.2 miles of the Appalachian Trail. I hope you take the time to visit Baxter Park HQ for maps and info, great folks, with a wealth of knowledge. After a half hour car ride on paved roads from Millinocket, you'll enter the Park several miles south of KSC at the Gatehouse, and drive slowly along a gravel road called 'The Perimeter Road'. Watch for moose in the road, and stop at Stump Pond on your left just south of the Abol Campground to check for moose. Just before KSC you'll see a road side privy on your left, and the Birches Long Distance site back in the woods. There's a small parking area, go ahead and check it out. After you check in at KSC (talk with the Ranger, he'll have all kinds of info and news for you), there's a couple of leg stretching options for you and Dad. 1) You can hike an easy mile up the AT to Katahdin Stream Falls. There's a cool log bridge, an open ledge where you can see the AT's route heading south thru the distant mountains, and just above that is a cliff side side trail to view the falls. 2) Drive North from KSC on the Perimeter Road (blazed, it's the AT) a wee bit to a parking area on the left just before the AT swings off the road and into the woods. Follow the AT along a ridge and down to the shore lines of two beautiful ponds, with Double Top rising above them. Watch for moose poop underfoot. 3) Drive over to Daicey Pond Campground, check out the view of Katahdin from the Library Porch, which the AT reroute now bypasses. Stroll down to the Toll Dam along the AT, from the trailhead across from the library, beyond the dam and just a bit further south are some wicked nice falls that should be a-roaring. Any of those three will give your Dad a good taste of the AT and Baxter Park. If time doesn't allow a short hike, drive over to Daicey Pond and marvel at Katahdin across the water.
Good info above about climbing times, the MATC guide, and when and which Trails will be open. Please hear me on this: start up as early as possible, first light if you can.
Have a great time!

Askus3
05-10-2005, 20:46
Here (http://community.webshots.com/album/287387942WpCPoG) is my photo log of the AT in Baxter State Park. This will give you an idea of the terrain. What it looks like in the rain up on Baxter and my time schedule of these two hikes - see photo captions. I hiked the AT southbound.

Pencil Pusher
05-11-2005, 00:09
For free maps, www.topozone.com (http://www.topozone.com) Here's a link close to what you may be looking for: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=45.90444&lon=-68.92278

plodder
05-11-2005, 03:15
The Hunt Trail is worthy of retracing footsteps. Some complain of doing the same trail, but it looks different pointing the other direction. The stream from the campground to the falls is good amusment for people waiting on you.