PDA

View Full Version : Need shakedown trip suggestions

Double Wide
10-02-2012, 09:47
I'm heading NOBO in March of 2014, and I've got about 90% of my gear bought and ready to go. My biggest obstacle is getting into hiking shape--not just physically, but more of having the proper mindset. I've read dozens of trail journals and I'm pretty surprised by the number of people who head out from Springer having never done more than a couple of nights on the trail before taking a shot at the Long Walk. I figure my chances of actually finishing will go up exponentially if I have a lot more experience under my belt.

Anyhow, since I'm leaving in March of 2014, I'm thinking that I should do a week or so in March of 2013 so I can experience the cold, wet, and pain of beginning a through-hike. So what I'm looking for is a moderate 50 mile or so hike to 'practice'. My only caveat is that I don't want to do *any* of it on the actual AT. I've never set foot on the AT up to this point, and I don't want to hike any part of it until I actually attempt my through. Weird, I know, but that's just me.

So does anyone have any suggestions for a good break-in hike that's longer than a weekend? I'd kinda like to stay down south since I live in TN, but not so sure I want to spend a week in Smokies, either. (I've got a couple of weekend loops I'm looking at once I get to the point I can lug 30 lbs up the the mountains all day, but I'm not ready for that just yet).

Basically, I'd like to do something around 50 miles, easy-to-moderate hiking, south of Damascus is what I'm looking for. Thanks!

HikerMom58
10-02-2012, 09:59
That's not weird... it's how you roll! :) I would suggest looking online for hiking loops etc.. in your area or whatever you want to hike. Yup, sounds like you just need to get out and do some hiking. Good luck and have fun!!

jakedatc
10-02-2012, 09:59
you have a year.. go hike. anywhere. 50mi isn't going to do jack for getting you in shape. start now and get out as much as you can. get your gear system dialed, food system dialed.. carry a full load so you can determine how your pack is and if it needs adjustments or if it just won't work.

Double Wide
10-02-2012, 11:50
I'm not trying to use the 50 miles as a way to get in shape. I'm doing day hikes on my days off and such, doing whatever I can to be ready in 18 months. I was looking for a week-long hike to 1) shake down my gear, 2) set my expectations, 3) get my brain right as far as having a thru-hiker's outlook versus just being a weekender, and 4) maybe take some bad-weather punishment just to see how I handle it.

That's what I'm looking for.

perrymk
10-02-2012, 12:23
The Pinhoti Trail in Georgia-Alabama is around 300 miles. Plenty of traiilheads for you to plan a shorter trip. Around Cheaha State Park in Alabama there are a number of loops possible for a weekend.

The FDR park in Georgia has the Pine Mountain Trail and is around is around 23 miles if I recall correctly.

Tuxedo
10-02-2012, 12:42
Double Wide - The only way to get in shape truly is hike the AT for 4-8weeks or more for some. The need to be this in shape to hike in 14' isn't necessary tho and as a flat lander here is my get ready advise. find the closest 10mile loop no terrain needed and walk, warm up the body and run until heart and lungs feel pushed and walk as long as you want. Repeat the process to run .5 mile and walk fast 1.5-2mi. When this becomes easy add more weight on feet and back. 10miles on any terrain close and easy to get to is more effective then schlepping to a unknown trail head once or twice. Heading to a nice 50mile hike is good stuff experience learning but ease of hiking the AT from Springer north 2181miles have known logistics and arrangements every 50mile hike on a lesser known trail takes quite a bit premeditation IMO.

I just know hindsight 20/20 nothing can prepare you for 1500 elevation change in .7mile other then doing a 2000 elv change in .6mile

Two Speed
10-02-2012, 12:44
. . . So does anyone have any suggestions for a good break-in hike that's longer than a weekend . . . You can find plenty of 50 mile sections on the Pinhoti, Bartram or Benton McKaye Trails.

Tuxedo
10-02-2012, 12:56
in the TN region might look at the CTC a 50mile section of this trail, been under construction for 10yrs or more and could use founding http://www.cumberlandtrail.org/

Ktaadn
10-02-2012, 15:41
You should hike the Iron Mountain Trail. It used to be the AT until they moved it. That way, you will get the feel for hiking the AT while meeting your requirement of not hiking any of the AT prior to your thru attempt. Good luck!

jakedatc
10-02-2012, 16:09
Double Wide - The only way to get in shape truly is hike the AT for 4-8weeks or more for some. The need to be this in shape to hike in 14' isn't necessary tho and as a flat lander here is my get ready advise. find the closest 10mile loop no terrain needed and walk, warm up the body and run until heart and lungs feel pushed and walk as long as you want. Repeat the process to run .5 mile and walk fast 1.5-2mi. When this becomes easy add more weight on feet and back. 10miles on any terrain close and easy to get to is more effective then schlepping to a unknown trail head once or twice. Heading to a nice 50mile hike is good stuff experience learning but ease of hiking the AT from Springer north 2181miles have known logistics and arrangements every 50mile hike on a lesser known trail takes quite a bit premeditation IMO.

I just know hindsight 20/20 nothing can prepare you for 1500 elevation change in .7mile other then doing a 2000 elv change in .6mile

I disagree. I hiked ~150 miles with and without a full pack before even my Long Trail thru hike(280mi total). I am in good shape already between cycling and rock climbing but to do decent miles on the trail in the few months before got me trail ready.

If you have a whole year+ to prepare then getting in hiking shape is a damn good idea. Starting the trail being able to do decent miles at a good clip lets you hike further or faster between resupply spots, lets you enjoy views longer while keeping the same "schedule", lets you look at what is going on instead of the top of your boots. Plus when you hit Blood Mountain and everyone is going "zomg this hurts" you can go "why?" . plus you will have a routine down so you don't waste time bumbling around in camp in the AM and PM.

i mean 10mi is a nice stretch before lunch but it might be nice to know what you can do for a full day, back to back (to back to back to back).

Double Wide
10-02-2012, 16:43
Thanks for the trail suggestions guys. That was the focus of my question, not how to get in shape--I'm familiar with all those methods and have read all the hundreds of other threads about 'getting into trail shape'.

Anyhow, so far, the leader in the clubhouse is the Pine Mountain Trail in Georgia. Just spoke to my brother a little while ago and it looks like we're going to shoot for that one in November over a long weekend. That'll be a great start (as of now, I've not done any backpacking longer than one night, so we figure three nights, maybe even four, will be a good way to get acclimatized to multi-day hiking).

Also going to look into the Iron Mountain trail for early next spring.

Love these suggestions--keep 'em coming!

Aquonehostel
10-02-2012, 17:15

North Carolina Longsdale Loop
5 Day, 58 mile hike:

"Hikers seeking a great hike should consider the 58 mile loop hike, utilizing the Appalachian and NC Bartram Trails, starting and ending at Aquone Hostel, Nantahala NC. 1-828-321-2340

Since this hike starts and finishes at the same place, Aquone Hostel can be used as a "base camp". This will allow you to take advantage of Aquone Hostel lodging and great home cooked country food, the night before and the night after the hike.

You can leave your vehicle at the Hostel and arrange a shuttle to the start point, arrange for pick-up along the route. Don’t forget to ask about our slack-packing, this way you enjoy the hike with the minimum amount of discomfort. 1 828 321 2340

Day One 8.1 miles: The hike starts out on the Bartram trail (BT) (Yellow Blaze) at Nantahala Lake (SR 1310) Aquone hostel will shuttle you to the start point and will advise where necessary. The climb out from the lake is very steep, so aim to take it easy, plan to have lunch at FR711, the hike from there is a lot easier. At some point the AT will join the BT and both trails will guide you to Wayah Bald, do spend some time at Wayah Bald Tower 5,342’ the views are outstanding. The AT and BT, will guide you from the tower, loosing height until the AT & BT go their separate ways. Note: The AT will turn left and the BT will turn right ( To Franklin), make sure you follow the White Blaze, not Yellow. A short distance down the AT you will come to Wayah Shelter 4759’, this is where you will spend your first night.
Day Two: Wayah Shelter to Wesser Shelter (10.6 miles), After a good night's rest and breakfast at Wayah Shelter a nice easy hike to Wesser Shelter 4115’, take the AT North to Cold Springs Shelter (4.8 miles) where I recommend you have lunch. Water is available here, be sure to treat or filter the water. Once again take the AT North to Telico Gap (3.6 miles). Please note this is a Hostel Pick-up point should you wish to spend the night 1-828-321-2340 you can call just before or from the gap, reception is poor so you may have to move around a little to get a decent signal. The distance from Telico Gap to Wesser shelter miles, is 2.2 with quite a hard climb to Wesser Tower 4,627 feet, so take your time, the views are outstanding so it’s worth the climb. Note: The Water Point is 150 yards above the shelter, and you will pass it on your way in so do stop and fill-up before arrival at the shelter.

Day Three: From Wesser Shelter to Sassafras Shelter 4330’ (12.6 miles) Take the trail North to the NOC SR 19 (5.7 miles), the trail is very strenuous practically downhill all the way and can be very demanding on your knees and ankle joints, so take your time. NOC (2,100’) is a great place to have lunch and they serve outstanding ‘Hiker-Burgers’. After lunch cross the bridge and rail tracks at the NOC and begin your ascent to Sassafras Shelter 6.9 miles where you will spend the night, take plenty of water breaks and frequent stops, because of the tremendous height gain.

Day Four: Sassafras Shelter to Percy Creek Campsite (15.8 miles) Take the AT North 1.1 miles to Cheoah Bald 5,064’ where the trail will join section 7 of the Bartram Trail, this is the Northern Terminus of the BT in NC, follow the white & yellow blazes until the AT will head North and the BT will head South, take the BT south (Yellow Blaze) descending 8.6 miles to the hydro ‘Power-Plant’ Nantahala White Water put-in point 2,212’. (Some of the trail will cross the railway track and follow a cycle trail for 1.5 miles. This is a good lunch spot and a Hostel Pick-up point should you wish to return to the hostel. Looking at the ‘Power-Plant’ the trail-head (section 6) is on the right, follow the gravel road up to the water tower, where the trail will then enter the forest, follow the trail 5.6 miles to Percy Creek campsite, there are several springs and creeks here, an ideal place to spend the night.

Day Five: Percy Creek Campsite to Nantahala Lake (10.9 & Finish) Head South on the Bartram trail to Appletree Campsite (5.6 miles), you will meet Junaluska Road and also a trail-head sign, this is also a Hostel Pick-up point. Continue by crossing the road and walk a 20 yards to your right, you will see the trail follows a gravel road to below Nantahala Dam (2.9 miles), from the dam base climb some steps and follow the trail into the forest, there are some great views of Nantahala Lake 3013’ as it takes you to your finish point (2.4 miles)
I highly recommend that the Bartram Trail Maps be obtained and used in planning any hike on the Bartram. The maps are available on the NC Bartram Trail Society website online store. http://ncbartramtrail.org (http://ncbartramtrail.org/) (or available at Ranger Stations). The cost is only $15.00 for the entire set of seven maps, and you can use maps 1-4 to plan your hikes of the rest of the NC Bartram Trail. You may also want to consider becoming a member of the NC Bartram Trail Society.

As you hike the NC Bartram Trail, keep in mind that you will be taking a trip back in early US history. The trail follows, as near as possible, the travels of William Bartram through the beautiful mountains of Western North Carolina in the mid 1770's
It's possible to make this a 3 day, 40 mile hike or less by getting a shuttle from Aqoune Hostel and arranging to be met at any of the Hostel Pick-up points.

This will give you the height variation you need, Nantahala Forest, North Carolina. Wiggy www.aquonecabins.com/at.html

10-K
10-02-2012, 17:31
Just go hiking.. Doesn't matter where. Just go somewhere, as often as you can.

That's what I do all the time. It's a lifestyle. :)

jakedatc
10-02-2012, 17:33
More spam from hostel guy.... :rolleyes:

Double Wide, Have fun. Make notes about what works and what doesn't.

jakedatc
10-02-2012, 17:41
"6. No commercial posts are allowed, and spam is forbidden in both forums and private messages."

http://whiteblaze.net/cmps.php?page=agreement

Not sure why the hostel guy gets special treatment when he makes posts like these on a weekly basis

Roughthis
10-03-2012, 09:13
Double Wide....
As it's already been said on this thread: just go out with your gear and trek it up. Have fun and by the time 2014 rolls around I'm sure you'll be surprised at what kind of shape you're in and the gear you carry today might be a whole bunch different than what you're packin' in 2014. Fine tune it as you go.
Good luck!!

Maddog
10-03-2012, 09:46
I spent a week in the Cohutta Wilderness and on the Jack's River Trail earlier this year and it was awesome! http://groundedgraphics.com/hiking-trails/jacks-river.php and
http://www.sherpaguides.com/georgia/mountains/blue_ridge/western/cohutta_wilderness.html Maddog:D

Llama Legs
10-03-2012, 09:57
AT in the GSMNP. Then you can skip it next spring when things are crazy. Seriously though, it's a good test of what you'll be up against.

turtle fast
10-03-2012, 12:34
A lot of people talk about the need to get physically fit for the hike, but time after time it pans out that the best way to train for a hike is to just do it. Now I am not advocating gaining 20 ponds and going the next day, but to limit your mileage when you start and the trail conditions you. At first, you will hike from a shelter to the next shelter doing small miles and build up naturally to hike longer and gain more stamina. I had seen very fit individuals get off the trail due to injury from stresses by adding too many miles at the start. As to the mental aspect of the hike which is a huge factor, it is not something you can account for at the start as ones mental condition on the trail are different for everyone. Some say that ignorance of what to expect fuels the determination of some, that it steels your fortitude to finish what you had started...while others say that if you know what to expect in terms of physicality, planning, time, conditions, etc, that it actually can help undermine your resolve. I tend to agree with the first premise as many whom have never hiked seem to beat the odds regularly.

jakedatc
10-03-2012, 13:02
" but to limit your mileage when you start and the trail conditions you. At first, you will hike from a shelter to the next shelter doing small miles and build up naturally to hike longer and gain more stamina"

so.... wait until you are doing the trail.... to get in shape for the trail. instead of working your way up in a similar fashion, then doing the actual trail.. riiiiight. There is no difference except that you are not showing up to Springer out of shape.

i think people finish DESPITE being unprepared.. they get in shape eventually. people will get injured and have to get off the trail no matter what prep they do.. **** happens.

2012 Hiker Counts (updated September 12, 2012)

Northbound (Georgia to Maine)

Springer Mtn., Ga.

Harpers Ferry, W.Va. (1,017 miles)

Katahdin, Maine (2,184 miles)

Less than HALF made it to Harpers Ferry...

"I had seen very fit individuals get off the trail due to injury from stresses by adding too many miles at the start. "

how many never get out of Georgia because they were out of shape and couldn't hack it? plenty i'm sure

10-K
10-03-2012, 15:33
Hiking is not easy even if you are in good shape. I would recommend doing anything you can do to get in shape before you hit the trail.

Anything is better than nothing.

chiefduffy
10-03-2012, 16:22
Take a look at the FootHills Trail in South Carolina. Starts easy, gets steep last day or so, 77 miles, State Parks at both ends. And lots of waterfalls!

Don H
10-03-2012, 21:51
Even if you think you're in shape when you hit the trail take it easy for the first couple of weeks.
Throughout my thru I avoided 20 mile days as much as possible.
Besides, it's more of a mental game than a physical one.

jakedatc
10-03-2012, 22:16
Who knows what kind of shape they are or aren't in. 20mi could never be even dreamed of or is a nice walk in the woods. putting arbitrary numbers out there over a year ahead of time is just silly. you *could* say that one thru-hike is a great way to get in shape for a thru-hike.. like Balls and Sunshine did PCT then they were doing 20's a week or 2 into their AT hike.. and 30s in a month... they aren't the fastest or the slowest.

MuddyWaters
10-03-2012, 22:42
I think what is most beneficial to train is your mind.
Practice hikes, will help you answer important questions.
Like why do you want to do this? What do you expect to get from it?

Many people quit because their minds quit, not their bodies. A physical problem may be their impetus, and scapegoat, but it isnt why they quit.
They quit because mentally they werent strong enough to take the misery, the cold, the work, the pain, etc. It simply wasnt worth it to them any longer to continue.

Practice hike for at least a week and you will probably learn a few things, and a few things about yourself.