PDA

View Full Version : Backpack size question.

drbone
10-02-2012, 10:53
Doing a few days next week (work allows 4) on the GA section, approach trail and north at least to Blood Mountain, (cause my wife knows where the store is for pickup). Having to decide between a North Face 40 and a Kelty 64. I can get everything in the 40 but it has only 1 small pocket for ease of access and my thermarest will have to go on the outside. The RedCloud has gobs of pockets and everything fits inside. The redcloud is about 5 1/2 lb empty and the North face about 3. Contents with food and no water is about 13 lbs so far, hammock and sleeping bag 2 1/2 each. Esbit mini, AquaMira tabs etc, so I am not carrying excess. Is the extra room and ease of in/out access worth the extra 2 1/2 lbs of the Kelty? Also getting everything except the pad into the North Face 40 is a cramjob. Opinions please. Thanks

Slo-go'en
10-02-2012, 11:05
Tough choice. How about leaving the hammock home and just sleeping in the shelters? I doubt there will be any issues with room in the shelter this time of year and it would save you space and weight in the pack.

If leaving the hammock behind isn't an option, I think I'd go for the bigger pack. I hate having things tied to the outside of my pack and looking like a pack mule. While the extra 2.5 is significant, it's not that big a deal on a short trip with relatively short miles and easy trail.

fredmugs
10-02-2012, 13:10
Go big or go home. Seriously I would rather carry a larger pack that everything fits better in then craming stuff into and on top of a smaller pack.

BTW - my GoLite 85L pack weighs 4 lbs 2 oz so maybe you consider upgrading.

Tuxedo
10-02-2012, 13:22
Tough choice. How about leaving the hammock home and just sleeping in the shelters? I doubt there will be any issues with room in the shelter this time of year and it would save you space and weight in the pack.

If leaving the hammock behind isn't an option, I think I'd go for the bigger pack. I hate having things tied to the outside of my pack and looking like a pack mule. While the extra 2.5 is significant, it's not that big a deal on a short trip with relatively short miles and easy trail.

I agree the shelters may have a SoBo or 2 but low occupancy this time of yr. also get 2 compression sacks and go lighter with the 40L pack
http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/900/ALM/ALM0019/ASST.jpg

jakedatc
10-02-2012, 14:55
Go big or go home. Seriously I would rather carry a larger pack that everything fits better in then craming stuff into and on top of a smaller pack.

BTW - my GoLite 85L pack weighs 4 lbs 2 oz so maybe you consider upgrading.

I could probably carry myself in a 85L pack lol

my pack and shelter weigh less than that.

grayfox
10-02-2012, 15:31
I guess the obvious answer is to take the pack that is most comfortable. I don't like to put my air mattress on the outside of my pack though. But, I am a bit of a 'contrarian' when thinking about short trips. Usually the thinking goes that for only a few days it doesn't matter if your pack is too heavy, just take what you want and don't worry about it.

I think, especially if you only get out a few times a year, that the lighest options are the best way to pack. Ultralight is great for a thru hiker wanting to do a lot of miles--but for an out-of-shape weekender ultralight gear is even better. You need to pack the things that contribute to comfort and safety, but beyond that you do not need much to sustain you for a few days on the trail. I usually do not start to get physically comfortable on the trail for a few days and if all I have are a few days then I want them to be as easy as I can make them. I do not want the first day to be just slogging along under a pack that has more stuff than I will need for a week even if I only brought it because I thought it might be fun to use. I want to walk lightly through the environment stopping when I want to, not when I just can not take another step. I want my first night to be sound sleep, not searching for the ibuprofin at midnight. For just a few days my luxury item might be an orange--there is just nothing like the smell and taste of something fresh once the stench of confined civilized places has been washed from your sinuses by fresh air.

Well, anyway, you get what I mean--take what you want but lighter is better. For only a few day you could probably go with a jacket and a few things in your pockets.

Starchild
10-02-2012, 17:58
You might look for a lighter pack then your 5.5 lb one with greater capacity then your Northface. I got the REI Flash 62 and love it, balances the load very nicely and it comes in at 3 lbs.

jakedatc
10-02-2012, 18:09
I'm a bit confused how a 13lbs of gear and food won't fit in a 40L pack....

do an experiment. don't stuff your sleeping bag in it's sack. use a trash compactor bag as a pack liner. stuff the sleeping bag inside the plastic bag. push it down as much as you can to force the air out then twist the plastic bag shut. then pack everything else on top of that. it should squish into the crevices better that way.

people can suggest all the packs they want but what fits you is not what necessarily fits them. I found the REI Flash super uncomfortable even without weight in it. but the Exos 58 I have fits me perfect. but others hate that too.

drbone
10-02-2012, 20:12
Thanks for the replies. I may try the sleeping bag and hammock in their own compression bag and cinch it down. Biggest thing is I hate that the NF 40 doesnt have accesible pouches. I may just go with the bigger backpack and take a TV

jakedatc
10-02-2012, 20:35
what model North face bag do you have? if it has a top lid putting the Hammock under the lid is an easy way to clear up space. also what thermarest? putting a Neoair inside is easy.. putting a self inflating kind inside is a giant waste of space.

lunatic
10-02-2012, 21:51
On my 2009 thru and earlier this year when I rehiked Springer to Fontana damn, I used the osprey exos 46 and it was perfect. Between 2 and 3 pounds, I found it to be exactly what I needed on the A.T. let me know if you want more specific info. Since then I've bought the osprey exos 34 and used it on my Mt. Whitney/John Muir Trail hike this past July. Had no problems at all. Love them both.

drbone
10-02-2012, 22:43
Northface Summit 40 backpack. The thermarest is a Mil spec pad.24 inches wide. I was worried about the cloth outer cover getting wet if I put it outside. I am thinking the two and a half pounds are worth it for the ease of access

jakedatc
10-02-2012, 22:55
ok have fun

Huber
10-03-2012, 08:23
The bigger the pack to more tempted you are to take stuff you don't need.

yellowsirocco
10-03-2012, 09:23
The bigger the pack to more tempted you are to take stuff you don't need.

A small pack is a horrible way to excercise self control.

remington79
10-03-2012, 13:04
When I went to Philmont in 95 and 97 I found my 4500 cubic inch pack too small. After resupplying with three to four days worth of food and depending on what troop gear I had to carry that day there were times when I had to cram stuff in the pack. These trips were during the summer and were 14 day trips with the bare minimums. The only extras I brought were some binoculars and a camera. I don't like to put my sleeping pad and tent inside of my packs. I prefer to put them on the outside. Your Thermarest will be fine on the outside. I use the covers you can buy from them to keep the dirt off and help protect it while hiking. As for it getting wet, if its raining I use a pack cover.

I now use a Mystery Ranch Big Horn (3,000 cubic inches) for day hikes and warm weather overnighters and a Mystery Ranch Grizzly (6,000 cubic inches) for longer trips. These packs are heavier but they have great suspensions. You can put 30 pounds in the Big Horn and you don't even feel it. The extra weight for a good suspension and durability is worth it to me. The pack I used in Philmont was a Jansport D3 external. I didn't like the lack of load lifters. The weight would bear down on my shoulders no matter what I did. Everyone who used an external would end up lifting the bottom of their packs up off of their shoulders for a mile or so to get the weight off of their shoulders. Whatever pack you pick see if you can try it out with some weight before you buy it. I would rather have too much room than too little. That way you have room for longer trips or for bulkier clothing if you want to go on colder weather trips.

snifur
10-03-2012, 14:01
it is not the size of the pack; its what you do with it. dont judge someone by the size of their pack. everyone packs and hikes differently with different needs. find out your needs and hike with just that. you will know in a day or two on a shakedown hike if it works. adjust accordingly.