PDA

View Full Version : How many of you might want an UL titanium Mini Grill for your stove or fire?

QiWiz
10-02-2012, 16:59
I am working with Gary, the Zia Grill Guy from backpackinglight.com, to develop a small titanium grill that would be designed for my FireFly stove, but should also work with many other stoves, like an Emberlit, Bushbuddy, Solo, Element, etc. Maybe even a ti tri Caldera Cone or just a small open fire. He is known for his full size grills, which weigh less than an ounce, but this would be a never-before available item.

Anyway, these "Mini Grills" will soon be available, and I'm curious as to how much interest there is in this item in the WB community. They are likely to be less than half an ounce and measure about 4 by 5 inches. Perfect for that trail steak grillin' :D

Cadenza
10-03-2012, 00:46
I'll be interested!
I'm always weak in the knees for titanium. :)

I'm already using the fan cover from the back of a computer on my Emberlit, but it's that mean old heavy steel. :eek:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff143/61panhead/Camping/Image1-1.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff143/61panhead/Camping/Image-1.jpg

Here's the stove and grill folded flat on a cuben fiber stuff sack from hammockgear.com

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff143/61panhead/Camping/Image4.jpg

It packs up to about 1/4 inch thick. Shown with a tooth brush for size reference.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff143/61panhead/Camping/Image6.jpg

I stole the idea from the famous Altoids Tin grill.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff143/61panhead/Camping/FOHHAHGFT7PK7BGMEDIUM_rect540.jpg

You could use a Sierra Cup and do the same thing. A couple of charcoal briquettes and you've got back yard burgers.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff143/61panhead/Camping/IMG_0064.jpg

Sailing_Faith
10-03-2012, 10:57
Wow!

That is clever! What kind of fuel do you use, and what do you cook on it? I am picturing little tiny hamburgers and steaks...

I'll be interested!

I'm already using the fan cover from the back of a computer. I don't have a pic but it fits perfectly on my Emberlit. :)

Here's the famous Altoids Tin Grill......

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff143/61panhead/Camping/FOHHAHGFT7PK7BGMEDIUM_rect540.jpg

And here's the fan cover on a Sierra Cup.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff143/61panhead/Camping/IMG_0064.jpg

I will take a pic of the grill (fan cover) on the Emberlit tomorrow and edit to post it here:

kayak karl
10-03-2012, 11:18
doesn't the fuel taint the taste of the food? i can see on a woodburner.

Ender
10-03-2012, 11:33
...and I'm curious as to how much interest there is in this item in the WB community. They are likely to be less than half an ounce and measure about 4 by 5 inches. Perfect for that trail steak grillin' :D

Yes please!

OzJacko
10-04-2012, 02:30
I'm interested in one for the TiTri but think I'll pass at this stage.
The computer fan idea I might try to see how it goes and then look at a Titanium one if it works well.
I love steak!

LandSailor
10-04-2012, 02:55
Great idea...would love one for my emberlit. Was kinda surprised that one didnt come with the stove itself.

Cadenza
10-04-2012, 14:56
doesn't the fuel taint the taste of the food? i can see on a woodburner.

Charcoal. :cool:
No alcohol or petro fuels used.

QiWiz
10-06-2012, 23:13
OK, from concept to reality - check it out at www.QiWiz.net/StoveAccessories.html

If you watch both of the videos you will see both a NY strip steak grilled and cornbread baked on a FireFly stove.
Now that's good backcountry eating my friends.

For those of you with an Emberlit, an Element, a Bushbuddy, a Solo, or a Ti-Tri woodburner - just get 4 of the Zia Stix for the grill and you should be in business too!

Cadenza
10-07-2012, 23:54
Well,....I'm sorry to say,.....I'm a little underwhelmed with the grill.
(But I may order one anyway just to try it out.)
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see it doing anything that my Purcell Trench grill won't do.

I am however, knocked out with the way your Esbit burner suspends in the stove and I will be ordering one of those babies for sure!
Also like the Zia stix. I can see using those as well.

QiWiz
10-08-2012, 14:49
Well,....I'm sorry to say,.....I'm a little underwhelmed with the grill.
(But I may order one anyway just to try it out.)
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see it doing anything that my Purcell Trench grill won't do.

I am however, knocked out with the way your Esbit burner suspends in the stove and I will be ordering one of those babies for sure!
Also like the Zia stix. I can see using those as well.

If you already have a grill you like, I can see why you might not buy another one, even if you know you WANT one. :D

However, let me point out that the Purcell Streamside Packer weighs 4.7 oz. (133 grams), which is a bit more than 5 times the weight of Gary's full-size grill and is more expensive by $2. There is no Mini Grill equivalent available from Purcell either, if you just want something for your wood burning backpack stove. Check out a Mini Grill on a FireFly . . .

Cadenza
10-09-2012, 00:17
I LOVE MY PURCELL TRENCH GRILL.
It's my number one favorite piece of camp cook gear!
I have two of them, one "Traveler" and one that he custom made for me to fit a specific pocket on a Kifaru pack.

I was kinda hoping this new grill would actually fit my Emberlit. I suppose the computer fan guard fits as well as could be hoped for. A copy of that, made of titanium was what I had in mind.

But I do appreciate you starting this thread. I might have otherwise never seen or noticed the Esbit burner for the stove.
I already placed my order. :banana
Back last spring I ordered both your Ti trowel and your little buck saw,.....so just because the grill didn't trip my trigger doesn't mean I'm not adding to my collection of your products. ;)

I placed the order on those Zia stix as well!

QiWiz
10-09-2012, 06:40
I LOVE MY PURCELL TRENCH GRILL.
It's my number one favorite piece of camp cook gear!
I have two of them, one "Traveler" and one that he custom made for me to fit a specific pocket on a Kifaru pack.

I was kinda hoping this new grill would actually fit my Emberlit. I suppose the computer fan guard fits as well as could be hoped for. A copy of that, made of titanium was what I had in mind.

But I do appreciate you starting this thread. I might have otherwise never seen or noticed the Esbit burner for the stove.
I already placed my order. :banana
Back last spring I ordered both your Ti trowel and your little buck saw,.....so just because the grill didn't trip my trigger doesn't mean I'm not adding to my collection of your products. ;)

I placed the order on those Zia stix as well!

Hey, no worries. The Purcell grills are good products; can see you like yours. I will point out that now that you have Zia Stix on the way, it only takes four of them to support a titanium Mini Grill over just about any small wood burning stove, including your Emberlit. Just sayin' that for those who don't have a Purcell grill, this is a great option. You can also use the Zia Stix to get your computer fan grill a bit higher above your Emberlit's firebox, which might make grilling easier. What do you think?

Oh yea, BTW, you have great taste in trowels and saws ;)
Your Esbit burner is going out in this morning's mail

Half Note
10-09-2012, 12:44
Hey, no worries. The Purcell grills are good products; can see you like yours. I will point out that now that you have Zia Stix on the way, it only takes four of them to support a titanium Mini Grill over just about any small wood burning stove, including your Emberlit. Just sayin' that for those who don't have a Purcell grill, this is a great option. You can also use the Zia Stix to get your computer fan grill a bit higher above your Emberlit's firebox, which might make grilling easier. What do you think?

Oh yea, BTW, you have great taste in trowels and saws ;)
Your Esbit burner is going out in this morning's mail
Those "Stix" look exactly like the metal kabob sticks you can get at the grocery store 6 for a $1. They want $30?

QiWiz
10-09-2012, 13:06
Those "Stix" look exactly like the metal kabob sticks you can get at the grocery store 6 for a $1. They want $30?

The ones in your grocery store are not titanium. :rolleyes:

Half Note
10-09-2012, 14:32
The ones in your grocery store are not titanium. :rolleyes:

True but the weight has to pretty negligible for a $30ish dollar difference. I've even got some of those kabob sticks. Me thinks I'll weigh them for all you non-ULers.

Kerosene
10-09-2012, 15:44
True but the weight has to pretty negligible for a $30ish dollar difference.Everything weighs something; how much you want to pay for that weight savings is up to the individual, with discretionary income and physical comfort as part of the equation.

Half Note
10-09-2012, 16:01
I completely agree.

Cadenza
10-09-2012, 16:25
Some of us are just crazy. :p

I paid the price for Ti without batting an eye, yet I'll keep my chrome plated steel computer fan guard just because it fits so well on my Ti Emberlit stove. But if someone makes a Ti replacement that fits as well,.....I'm afraid I'll click the Paypal button faster than you can say, "Gram Weenie!"

It makes no sense. I still carry a one pound hatchet!

Half Note
10-09-2012, 16:47
Totally get that, TEHO. Just thought I'd post other options/ideas. I have no doubt the quality of what you're getting is top notch and saves some weight.

Starchild
10-14-2012, 18:22
My concern with such a grill is the drippings causing the stove to get messy. It may be fine for toast but for cooking things such as meat I just don't see that it is practical.

QiWiz
10-21-2012, 20:19
My concern with such a grill is the drippings causing the stove to get messy. It may be fine for toast but for cooking things such as meat I just don't see that it is practical. If there are drippings, just put a small handful of twigs into the stove fire after taking the meat off, and the drippings will burn up and cease to be an issue. Fat burns, liquid boils away, no worries. The titanium grill itself can also be left over the fire to have any residue burned off.

Cadenza
10-23-2012, 15:19
QiWiz,

Just wanted to let you know that I just got home after a month on the road and found your esbit burner for the Emberlit stove was waiting in my PO box.
Looks like just the ticket,.....and ULTRA LIGHT.
Thanks.....

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff143/61panhead/Camping/IMG_0205.jpg

It weighs nothing but does seem a bit fragile.
I found protection in that it fits perfectly in the plastic case that comes with a pair of ear plugs.
The little plastic box seems as if it were made for the Esbit burner.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff143/61panhead/Camping/IMG_0206.jpg

QiWiz
10-28-2012, 21:06
QiWiz,

Just wanted to let you know that I just got home after a month on the road and found your esbit burner for the Emberlit stove was waiting in my PO box.
Looks like just the ticket,.....and ULTRA LIGHT.
Thanks.....

It weighs nothing but does seem a bit fragile.
I found protection in that it fits perfectly in the plastic case that comes with a pair of ear plugs.
The little plastic box seems as if it were made for the Esbit burner.

Nice find. Meanwhile, based on a mod that dman did, I've experimented with using wire hooks rather than loops. This seems to be a nice design improvement and I'll be making them this way unless someone requests loops.

QiWiz
11-25-2012, 11:48
Passing this on from "Gary, the Zia Grill Guy" . . .

In keeping with the spirit of Black Friday, and Small Business Saturday, and all that, he is offering a 10% rebate for all of his products purchased through the QiWiz.net web site. Just order things the normal way, and he will refund 10% to your PayPal account. Offer applies until midnight, Dec. 31, 2012.

Please note that this only applies to Zia products (Full-size and Mini titanium grills, and Stix)

If you would like him to make a custom titanium pot stand for you, you can email him through the link on QiWiz.net

If you would like to order a matched double grill set, which includes the connector rods, just order 2 regular grills on QiWiz.net, and he will adjust the price accordingly. Please add a note that you are buying a double grill set, and not 2 separate Zia grills.

To access Zia products on QiWiz.net, click "Stoves" on the main page, then click "Accessory options."

coolness
12-14-2012, 09:09
That Altoids grill is cool..... I have a Sierra cup; I'm sure I can find a computer fan cover. :) Great ideas!!