PDA

View Full Version : AT/Bartram Loop

WhoDey
10-02-2012, 18:18
I have my fall break coming up and I have decided to reward myself with a well deserved vacation. After researching, I have decided to finally set foot on the AT. Most my hiking has been more west, or not on the AT. I hear that the AT is very easy to follow, is the Bartram the same? if I buy the maps from http://ncbartramtrail.org/online-store/ will I be ok? Another question is what to expect temperature-wise. I've never been up there before so I am clueless as to how the weather at higher elevations differ, but I do know it can get surprisingly cold in the fall. Any other helpful info or tips? Thanks for the help!

gollwoods
10-02-2012, 18:44
here is some info to get you started. http://www.trailquest.net/BRbartram.html

WhoDey
10-02-2012, 20:21
Thanks for the link. Since I've never been up in that area I am trying to learn as much about it as I can as I have way more fun when I'm prepared.

10-K
10-02-2012, 20:41
The Bartram Trail isn't as easy to follow as the AT - there are some places where the maps are very handy.

Having said that, it's not the trail that's hard to follow but there are some road walk sections that the maps help a lot.

Seldomseen
10-02-2012, 21:22
I did not like that stretch of the Bartram Trail at all! If you are going to do that kind of trip look into the Foothills Trail; it is a great hike and easy shuttle. Also very well maintained.

Canada Goose
10-02-2012, 21:44
I have my fall break coming up and I have decided to reward myself with a well deserved vacation. After researching, I have decided to finally set foot on the AT. Most my hiking has been more west, or not on the AT. I hear that the AT is very easy to follow, is the Bartram the same? if I buy the maps from http://ncbartramtrail.org/online-store/ will I be ok? Another question is what to expect temperature-wise. I've never been up there before so I am clueless as to how the weather at higher elevations differ, but I do know it can get surprisingly cold in the fall. Any other helpful info or tips? Thanks for the help!

If you plan to do the Bartram/A.T. "loop", then one can assume you will start/finish at the Nantahala Outdoor Center. This will mean that your major decision is weather to go clockwise, or counter-clockwise. There are stiff climbs, and drops, both ways. I'm not sure there is one that is more advantageous, though I would probably lean to clockwise, with my last night on Cheoah Bald....

10K is right; there is (or was, when I did it) little to no blazing on the roadwalks. However, if you do the loop, there is only one stretch of just over a mile (on SR1310) that you will have to worry about. I found the worst blazing to be the section from Sawmill Gap down to Nantahala Lake, but I understand that that may be better now.

Weather can be variable. Days can be warm (or cool). Nights can be cool (or cold). Be prepared, and have good raingear; it's easy to get hypothermic if you are on your own. Night comes earlier at this time of year, so a good headlight is neccessary. I found that on one cold night, a small but warming campfire was a comfort.

The best source of current information will be found on the Bartram Trail website. I have been a member for a few year's now, and can tell you that they are doing good work. I have just looked at my map, and can tell you that the whole of the Bartram/A.T. "loop" is shown on it with good information. It is a worthwhile investment.

I hope you have a wonderfull hike! :sun

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?63186-Bartram-Trail-New-Map-Available-Soon

C.G. Honk!

Drybones
10-02-2012, 22:01
WhoDey...do you have a date set for your hike?

WhoDey
10-02-2012, 22:16
Thanks for the replies! That's why I really enjoy this site. Looks like that as long as I have the maps I should be fine. Seldomseen, Any particular reason why you didn't like this section? Canada Goose, I am planning on starting at the Outdoor Center and looking at the maps it seems like I will have climbs going either way. I have done cold weather camping I just know that this time of year can be hard to predict. I mean where I am now it was about 85 yesterday and today didn't reach 65 so who knows about mountain weather. DryBones, my break is October 11-14 so those are the only days I am available to do it. Once I graduate I will have some more time for fun.

royalusa
10-03-2012, 16:17
Any other helpful info or tips? Thanks for the help!

We yo-yo'ed the BT in May 2011, including the 12-mile road walk near Franklin. The summary page for our journal (http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=349088) reflects:

The Bartram Trail is very well marked and maintained, except for the number of blow downs, which perhaps have just not been cleared yet for this year. I believe we counted around 100 blow downs in less than 95-miles of actual trail (i.e., not roads). Yes, we counted them. Some areas of trail are getting to the point of needing a little grooming maintenance, but not much.

We loved the remoteness [feel] of the trail. We had camp to ourselves every night and saw very few backpackers during the day. Actually, we only saw one backpacker on the entire trip, excluding the last day.

There are some stretches where the water sources are about 9 or 10 miles apart, so you do need to pay attention to the location of future water sources.

If you are planning on doing the road walk, be sure to read our journal about that section as we had a very close encounter with numerous pit-bulls.

The guidebook we used was Johnny Malloy’s book Long Trails of the Southeast. No maps.

Our journal will detail more info that may help you - camping sites, the "roller coaster", water, route challenges, etc.

Have fun.

WhoDey
10-03-2012, 20:09
Royalusa, thanks so much for that write up and link to your hike. One of the reasons I chose this hike was to hopefully avoid some crowds and the worn down trail of the AT. I'm anxious to see the views at this time of year.

Seldomseen
10-03-2012, 21:17
From Wine Spring gap all the way to the road that leads to NOC (I cannot remember RD #) the trail was one blow down after another, and it was a lot of road walking. Also you never actually see Nantahala Lake from the trail, and don't bank on the campsites located on the map. With that said, I did not see anyone on the trail and there was a good burger joint on the road walk. I love backpacking and I would probably do it again because it is difficult to find good loop trails. If you are looking for another loop there are several great 50 mile loops in the smokies and in Pisgah Forest. There is a great loop you can make that goes over Gregory Bald and circles the mountains around Cades Cove in the GSMNP. Happy Hiking!!

WhoDey
10-04-2012, 14:52
You can't see Nantahala Lake from the trail? The maps seem to put the trail right next to it. I may just bushwhack to it anyway. I believe the section of the Bartram I will be on has only a very minor roadwalk section

Drybones
10-04-2012, 14:55
I did not like that stretch of the Bartram Trail at all! If you are going to do that kind of trip look into the Foothills Trail; it is a great hike and easy shuttle. Also very well maintained.

Seldom...looking at doing that hike soon, what was it that turned you off to the hike?

Seldomseen
10-05-2012, 22:51
I did the loop from NOC to Wine Spring Gap and back to NOC. It doesn't look like a lot of road walking but there is a couple of miles along a 2 lane road (good burger joint), a couple of miles along a dirt road (got chased by a dog), and then a mile down a road past the water tower. Don't get me wrong it is still a cool adventure, I just like trails that I can really stretch my legs on. I found the BT after leaving the AT to be a huge disappointment because the trail was straight up/down, lots of blowdowns, no access to lake (except on road walk), and 2 of the campsites on the map were nonexsistent. I am never disappointed with the AT and I always find the hikes I get a shuttle with are always the best way to spend my vacations. If you do not mind blowdowns the BT will be fine and it is a good loop. It is just not at the top of my list and trust me I have hiked all the great loops in the south, most of the trails in the GSMNP, and the AT almost 3 times.

Christus Cowboy
10-07-2012, 06:05
I did this loop in April of 2009 where Summit and I experienced all four seasons in one week... here's my trail journal for what its worth.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/notes/bryan-richey/trail-journal-nantahala-circuit-loop-with-john-wells/10150268633198827