PDA

View Full Version : How do you carry your tent stakes?

jimmyjam
10-02-2012, 19:59
I carry mine stuck in the corrugations of a piece of cardboard that is reinforced with duct tape. I was wondering what other people did to keep their stakes from poking holes in their gear.

jakedatc
10-02-2012, 20:03
V shaped stakes stacked together in a small sil-nylon stake bag.

T-Rx
10-02-2012, 20:07
I carry the stakes for my tarp in a small sil nylon stake bag.

Rocket Jones
10-02-2012, 20:09
Small sil-nylon stake bag that I fasten to my folded tent pole (only 1 - Tarptent Double Rainbow) with a lady's pony tail band. Much stronger and lasts longer than a rubber band.

jimmyjam
10-02-2012, 20:44
I carry the stakes for my tarp in a small sil nylon stake bag.

They don't poke holes in the sack? I use the titanium wire type stakes.

Sandy of PA
10-02-2012, 20:49
Cuben Fiber Stake sack with elastic draw cord, fold down and use like a rubber band. I made mine but Z-packs sells them, very tough.

Wise Old Owl
10-02-2012, 20:51

good answer - does not require a separate bag, and - once you get into a hammock its two or four... no more.

1azarus
10-02-2012, 21:07
good answer - does not require a separate bag, and - once you get into a hammock its two or four... no more.
yup. i have mine permanently looped into my rainfly tieouts so i can't loose them. i roll them up (carefully) with my tarp... no issues ever.

T-Rx
10-02-2012, 21:14

I use titanium shepherd hook style stakes and have had no problem with them poking a hole in the sack.

rusty bumper
10-02-2012, 21:16
Two pegs inside a small sil-nylon bag that came with my Tarptent Moment.

lunatic
10-02-2012, 21:24
Carry my 6 msr titanium stakes in the plastic sleeve that came with one of my small sea to summit stuff sacks. Fits perfectly at the bottom of the outer pocket on my pack. I like it because it doesn't blend in with anything else so I don't miss it when packing up.

MuddyWaters
10-02-2012, 21:57
carry in a cuben zpacks stake sack. Its tough , they wont poke thru.

Slo-go'en
10-02-2012, 22:07
I just put mine in a zip lock.

TIP: spray paint the ends of the stakes fluorescent orange and you'll be less likely to loose any.

ChinMusic
10-02-2012, 22:34
Made my bag out of a Federal Express envelope.

Lyle
10-02-2012, 22:38
Small ziplock reinforced on one corner with duct tape. This is carried either in an outside pocket, or tucked into my folded ccf pad along with my spoon inside the pack.

snifur
10-02-2012, 23:10
here is what you do...buy large pringles can...eat pringles...place tent stakes in pringles can. hike to rhythm of bouncing tent stakes. for added fun add loose change from purchase of said pringles can. this technique will also replace those jingling bear bells thus saving money and weight. if you prefer to hike alone this method will also ensure that no other hiker will attempt to hike your hike. enjoy!

LandSailor
10-02-2012, 23:18
Carry my pegs inside a small sil-nylon bag. I have the cap of a plastic nasal spray bottle inside the bag at one end to hold/protect the peg points. Very light,durable and effective solution.

fredmugs
10-03-2012, 04:15
I just stick mine in the same the same pouch the tent pole goes in and that pouch gets placed into an outer water bottle pocket and secured by a strap. I really can't see how the stakes could poke holes thru the sack.

Spokes
10-03-2012, 05:48
Made my bag out of a Federal Express envelope.

Carry my pegs inside a small sil-nylon bag. I have the cap of a plastic nasal spray bottle inside the bag at one end to hold/protect the peg points. Very light,durable and effective solution.

These are great solutions to one of the most vexing problems long distance hikers face.

Thanks for sharing guys!

garlic08
10-03-2012, 09:23
The only problem with the silnylon bag is it's camouflaged. I left mine behind early one morning. Now I just use a large ziplock bag. Chin Music's tyvek envelope is a good idea.

turtle fast
10-03-2012, 13:07
I just place my MSR stakes in a side pocket on my ULA pack...no bags needed. Never had lost one and I make sure to tap off any dirt.

max patch
10-03-2012, 13:17
Being an external user i keep my stakes in the bag they came in rolled up in my tent which is strapped to the outside of my pack. No wet tent in my bag, no worries about the stakes puncturing anything.

LandSailor
10-04-2012, 02:48
Just to clarify on my previous post...I use the lid from a Nasonex bottle (http://www.google.com/search?q=nasonex+spray&tbm=isch) inside my silnylon peg bag to stop the pegs poking through.

English Stu
10-04-2012, 04:36
I use a cut down padded envelope.

Hairbear
10-04-2012, 05:51
i alternate the point ends and the blunt ends so there is a flat on each end ,wrap with a hair band then put in outside pocket of pack away from other gear.

Velvet Gooch
10-04-2012, 06:10
I left my stakes pounded deep into the chests of the undead. Thanks to WhiteBlaze, I now use titanium bicycle spokes and monofilament fishing line. I'm fanatical like that

bad biscuit
10-04-2012, 13:13
i left my stakes pounded deep into the chests of the undead. Thanks to whiteblaze, i now use titanium bicycle spokes and monofilament fishing line. I'm fanatical like that

hahahahaha

Monkeywrench
10-04-2012, 15:10
I carry the stakes in my left hand and the 5-pound hammer in my right hand.

When not hunting vampires, I just stick them in a little silnylon stake bag, upside down so they won't poke holes in the bag, clipped to the tarp stuff sack by a mini-biner.

russb
10-04-2012, 17:40
No bag at all, no stakes to carry either. I use sticks I find when I get to camp. That is, if there aren't enough saplings/rocks/roots/logs in the right place to tie off to.

lunchbx
10-04-2012, 19:14
I was wondering when someone was going to bring up the option of not bringing tent stakes along at all. I used to carry the 0.99 cent aluminum stakes that you can get at Dicks, or SprawlMart to use with my rain fly (I don,t use a tent Hammock in the summer, or on the ground in the winter.) Now I just use some paracord to anchor the rainfly to rocks, trees, what have you. Presumably the same can be done with your tent corners, just tie down the corners facing the wind in bad weather, or don't stake it down at all on fair weather days.

1azarus
10-04-2012, 19:22
when i used to use one of hennessey hammock's tarps that just required two stake out points i used my hiking poles without baskets for the stakes and didn't carry anything else. lately my tarp has four tie outs and my poles have baskets -- so it is titanium stakes for me now.

JansportD2
10-06-2012, 08:54
I use titanium shepherds crook stakes in a tyvek bag reinforced at the point end with another layer of tyvek tape.

bamboo bob
10-06-2012, 10:54
When did this become a problem? Roll them up in the tent with the pole. Has worked fine forever.

coach lou
10-06-2012, 11:19
On the AT I've always found an abundance of rocks that work pretty well, and they are LNT, and it helps me keep my UL pack down to 30/35lbs:eek:

ChinMusic
10-06-2012, 11:27
When did this become a problem? Roll them up in the tent with the pole. Has worked fine forever.

If I did that I am sure I would lose some stakes. I def prefer a dedicated container. As I posted earlier, I use a modified Fed Ex envelope that does not register on my scale.

SunnyWalker
10-06-2012, 14:36
Thanks Slo-goen!!!!! Great ideeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaa! (bag and painting)

Toolumpy
10-06-2012, 14:42
I use titanium shepherd hook style stakes for my tarp over my hammock and I have a short piece of light plastic tubing and stick the stakes sharp ends in towards each
other in the tubing, they fit tight so I don't worry about them sliding out.

quilteresq
10-06-2012, 14:47
I made a small cuben bag, which I reinforced at the bottom with a small piece of cordura nylon. Seems strong enough.