PDA

View Full Version : Any thru hikers starting in February?

nm_vagabond
10-02-2012, 20:11
I was planning on starting my journey the 14th (figured Valentines day would be a great day to leave the "real world"). Plus, I am just to anxious to wait until the recommended start dates.

moytoy
10-02-2012, 20:52
I was planning on starting my journey the 14th (figured Valentines day would be a great day to leave the "real world"). Plus, I am just to anxious to wait until the recommended start dates.

Your leaving a really warm world and heading into a really cold world! As long as you know that and have the right gear and attitude I wish you good luck. Just being anxious to get started is not a good reason to leave that early in my way of thinking.

yellowsirocco
10-02-2012, 20:57
You need to be patient if you start then. I like hiking in GA in February, but my pack weighs more so I don't go as far and focus more on enjoying being in the woods than making miles.

Danl
10-02-2012, 20:59
I wanted to leave the first but i hooked up with my cousin whom is going to quit his job to go. He doesn't want to leave without taking his paid vacation first.

Lyle
10-02-2012, 22:27
Winter hiking is not all miserable (ask TIPI, but maybe he is more a winter camper :-) )

I hiked right through the winter of '80/'81. Coldest nights were in Missouri, 12 below for several nights, and Whitetop in VA. Either 12 or 13 below, can't remember exactly. Plenty of other nights were close to these.

The most miserable day was a 16 miler in Kentucky. Not as cold, but a wet, miserable rain with wind and absolutely no place to get out of it for even a few minutes. Hiked that 16 miles solo with virtually no stops. Squatted under a rock overhang for about 5 or 6 minutes to wolf down a couple of snickers bars for lunch. That was, by far, the most miserable day I've ever had while hiking. Other winter days it's usually easy to stay warm and toasty as long as you keep moving. As others have said, you just need adequate gear and the right attitude. Winter will test your ability to take the trail as it comes at you. It does offer a lot of beauty and some advantages too.

Good luck, and HAVE FUN!!!

Lyle
10-02-2012, 22:31
Just wanted to add, don't skimp on your sleeping gear. That is your refuge of last resort when things get to the extreme, plus it's a great boost to moral all day long to know that once you make camp, you can crawl into your bag and get warm and toasty. That is a fantastic feeling when the wind is blowing all around you.

Bloomer
10-02-2012, 23:49
Thinking of heading out around Feb 21.. going to wait and see how the winter goes... If it is anything like last year I will have no poblem going out earl

ChinMusic
10-02-2012, 23:57
I plan to start late Feb. I've done plenty of winter backpacking on the AT to know that I like it. If the weather goes crazy I will just de-chill out in some motel and wait it out.

Smokey & the Bandit
10-03-2012, 00:10
After getting delayed this year for my SOBO, I plan on leaving late February. My birthday is the last day of that month. But talk about being anxious, I was hoping to be in Virginia about now. Opted for a NOBO so I can start ASAP. Best of luck, maybe we'll catch up!

turtle fast
10-03-2012, 03:12
That is "if" you can get to a hotel as with a little accumulation the world stops in GA and the south. When an inch of snow fell near the AT the folks freaked out and acted like it was a giant blizzard and ceased driving, stores closed and people buttoned up and stayed inside. Coming from Wisconsin, we looked on in amazement as it was only an inch. A local finally told us that with any accumulation that they do not have the capacity to really plow the roads. I like to winter hike/camp but you have to remember that the Smokeys can be notorious for being impassable.

Llama Legs
10-03-2012, 10:06
go for it !

nm_vagabond
10-03-2012, 16:28
I'm going to go for it. I want to see all the sides of the Appalachian Trail. The wet, warm, freezing, hot, beautiful, unforgettable days and nights. I'm not going to head into this thru hike unprepared.. I know there is going to be some unpleasant situations, but the pleasant ones will definitely out weigh them. Plus, leaving this early I'll be able to get a jump on the crowds of the trail. The solitude with nature will be nice. I'll keep an eye on the weather for the year as well.. Thank you guys for all the insight.

tjkenney67
10-03-2012, 18:49
Shooting for Feb 15th....

Deerleg
10-03-2012, 19:53
Done a little sectioning on various stretches in Feb and have experienced cool and dry to very cold and more than 4 feet of snow. Talked to a seasoned 7 time thru hiker (Trek) that starts at Springer on the 1st of January on most of his attempts and his comment to me was that in general its dryer and he can get thru the big southern mountains before the late winter early spring snows. His opinion was that a Feb start put you in the highest elevations at peek snow potential. It can be an amazing world up there in extreme weather, but trekking and navigation skills should be well developed. Defiantly have to be ready for what it throws you.

nm_vagabond
10-03-2012, 20:47
in the highest elevations at peek snow potential. It can be an amazing world up there in extreme weather, but trekking and navigation skills should be well developed.

This is what I'm looking forward to. I am definitely ready. But I am keeping an eye on the chances of HIGH snow fall.. I do not want to be trumping through 4ft of snow.. hah. I will definitely be ready for what mother nature throws at me. Thanks for the outlook.

nm_vagabond
10-03-2012, 21:45
Nice. What kind of camp set up are you planning on using?

Danl
10-04-2012, 22:27
That is "if" you can get to a hotel as with a little accumulation the world stops in GA and the south. When an inch of snow fell near the AT the folks freaked out and acted like it was a giant blizzard and ceased driving, stores closed and people buttoned up and stayed inside. Coming from Wisconsin, we looked on in amazement as it was only an inch. A local finally told us that with any accumulation that they do not have the capacity to really plow the roads. I like to winter hike/camp but you have to remember that the Smokeys can be notorious for being impassable.
A southern phenomenon, threat of rain or snow sends everyone to the store for bread and milk.

Deerleg
10-05-2012, 00:34
.. I do not want to be trumping through 4ft of snow.. hah. I will definitely be ready for what mother nature throws at me. Thanks for the outlook.
Had a chance to hike in PA a couple years ago for 3 days with snow as high as the blazes on the trees (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=39684&catid=member&imageuser=2895)...snow shoes. Without them if its that deep your shelter bound.

nm_vagabond
10-05-2012, 15:25
I hope that is not the case this upcoming year.. but only time will tell. I'll be watching the snowfalls and adjust accordingly. I bet that was a great time you had, though.

Josh Calhoun
10-16-2012, 10:50
yessir! Feb the 16th here. the comment about a warm bag is right on. im carrying a 0* never know what might happen and i also do not like to sleep with hiking clothes and jackets on.

LynnMT
10-28-2012, 14:46
Your leaving a really warm world and heading into a really cold world! As long as you know that and have the right gear and attitude I wish you good luck. Just being anxious to get started is not a good reason to leave that early in my way of thinking.
What do you mean by really cold. Can you give me some temperature ranges?

sharper8
10-28-2012, 23:24
I plan on leaving the 14th or 15th

ChinMusic
10-28-2012, 23:52
I plan on leaving the 14th or 15th

I'll be reading your shelter journal entries.

moytoy
10-29-2012, 02:32
What do you mean by really cold. Can you give me some temperature ranges?
You need to be ready for 0 degree weather at higher elevation. It can range from sub 0 to 40's you never know. I'm not saying don't do it I'm just saying be ready for it. If you are prepared for an April start and then decide to start in Feb on a whim that's what I'm saying is not a good idea.

Kayden
10-29-2012, 22:27
febuary 14-22 here most likely

jeremyds37
11-04-2012, 12:06
We'll be starting Feb 27th. Hoping for snow and planning on taking it slow. At first, anyway.

MeiMei.
11-04-2012, 20:18
I was planning on starting in mid-March, but I have to be back by early August to start school (I'm taking a year off before college), so I'm thinking about starting early. Possibly February? If I did that I think I would need to have a partner though. I'm not sure about how to go about leaving early or what I need to do. I'm 18 and don't have a lot of backpacking experience.

Nuwanda
11-07-2012, 15:18
Due to some recent changes I'm planning to start in February, though I'm not certain of the exact date just yet. I plan to quit my job (and career) in January and then head home to the 'rents to borrow their dehydrator and ready myself for the trail. My hopes by starting in February rather than in March, as originally planned, is to beat the crowds and hopefully spend less money.

kayak karl
11-07-2012, 15:38
Due to some recent changes I'm planning to start in February, though I'm not certain of the exact date just yet. I plan to quit my job (and career) in January and then head home to the 'rents to borrow their dehydrator and ready myself for the trail. My hopes by starting in February rather than in March, as originally planned, is to beat the crowds and hopefully spend less money.
you will NOT spend less. colder days mean calories burned, more food. less miles per day, more money per 100 miles. hard to pass up a town stay with hot water, mo money.
its cold and shorter days. this is common sense, but you will need to be super organized. everything prepared for snow, freezing and dampness in about 2 hours time. drop your phone in a 2 ft phone drift, its very hard to find :). the gear is the easy part. for me it was the weight lose, messed up knee, 2 cracked ribs and 4 lost toe nails, but i would do it again.

Nuwanda
11-09-2012, 13:56
you will NOT spend less. colder days mean calories burned, more food. less miles per day, more money per 100 miles. hard to pass up a town stay with hot water, mo money.
its cold and shorter days. this is common sense, but you will need to be super organized. everything prepared for snow, freezing and dampness in about 2 hours time. drop your phone in a 2 ft phone drift, its very hard to find :). the gear is the easy part. for me it was the weight lose, messed up knee, 2 cracked ribs and 4 lost toe nails, but i would do it again.

You're right, Kayak Karl. I suppose my thought of "spending less" was in regards to not being swept up by a new group of friends into town more frequently than I'd like, but an early (cold) start will probably having me go into town just as often for my own comfort. Thanks for the input, and glad to know you'd do it again. :)

May I ask how you cracked your ribs?

BrianLe
11-10-2012, 03:24
Extra time spent in towns isn't a certainty for early starters; with a late Feb start in 2010 I don't think I spent more time in towns in the early part than I would have anyway. I think the only delay was getting out of Gatlinburg we had to wait maybe a couple or three hours longer into the day to hitch back to the trail as the road going up to Newfound Gap was temporarily closed due to icy road conditions.

Clearly there *can* be more time spent off-trail for early starters, no argument there; I just want to put out that it's by no means certain. And the group I was hiking with wasn't going on a rock bottom budget, we were happy to stay in cheap motels and hostels when we got the opportunity (in any kind of weather); someone hiking on a really tight budget should, I think, budget somewhat more until hitting Virginia with an early start date.

And I'll agree that on average the mileage per day will be lower (of course) when there's significant snow and/or ice and/or blowdowns to contend with. And I'll agree that early starters would be wise to already have some decent backpacking plus cold weather outdoor experience. So I don't mean to suggest that there are no issues. Just that the "more town stays" thing isn't an absolute, it depends somewhat on your abilities and choices along the way, and certainly on the particular weather patterns that you encounter.