PDA

View Full Version : HMW / Mahoosuc Trail

gizzy bear
10-03-2012, 13:19
hi...just trying to figure out in what part of the HMW, the mahoosuc trail is found...going NOBO...is it early on...midway...near the end??? i have read that the mahoosuc trail is the most strenuous part of the HMW, so i am curious as to what our pack weight will be... :-? thanks

Driver8
10-03-2012, 13:42
By HMW, do you mean the White Mountains? If so, the Mahoosucs come right after the Whites and are the bridge, rocky and very difficult, between New Hampshire and Maine.

hikerboy57
10-03-2012, 13:44
Mahoosucs are on the border of nh/me,about 150 miles before the hmw.

Driver8
10-03-2012, 13:48
Ah! Hundred Mile Wilderness. Duh! The Mahoosucs are so far from it that I didn't think of it. ...

hikerboy57
10-03-2012, 14:02
it is difficult but once you're through the whites you'll be ready for it.plan on no more than10-12mpd.
it really doesnt get much easier till you hit monson.beautiful country though, take your time and stay safe, you'll be fine.

gizzy bear
10-03-2012, 14:53
thank you guys :) we are starting in monson, so i was wondering about what day we should encounter the mahoosuc portion of the trail... you'll have to forgive me, because my boyfriend, nor myself have ever physically laid eyes on the land and this will def be MY most strenuous hike...so i joined this forum so that i could ask questions to people with experience, versus googling everything LOL!! we are reasrching new equipment and all...so i have LOTS of questions!! and if my questions seem dumb to you all...just humor me and answer them if you can :)

hikerboy57
10-03-2012, 15:03
the mahoosucs are 150 miles south of monson. visit the articles on the homepage. many of your questions can be answered there.
we're all here to help.

Deadeye
10-03-2012, 15:39
There's no dumb questions, but plenty of snide answers to be found here! If you're hiking the Hundred Mile Wilderness from Monson, you won't hit Mahoosuc notch... it'll be the other way. OTOH, if you're heading to Mahoosuc from Monson, you won't hit the HMW! You never actually told us whether you're heading South or North from Monson!

First item of business - get yourself some trail maps!

gizzy bear
10-03-2012, 15:57
Aha.... Well thank you.... I have read some journals that were talking about the AT & the HMW...& they mentioned the mahoosuc trail...So I guess I just misunderstood .... thank you.... I get it now ...and as for my questions I have plenty more where that came from :)

Slo-go'en
10-03-2012, 17:43
The other thing we need to know is when you plan on doing this trip. Not anytime soon I hope. Next summer or early fall would be good...

hikerboy57
10-03-2012, 17:46
The other thing we need to know is when you plan on doing this trip. Not anytime soon I hope. Next summer or early fall would be good...

great pics slo, loved the rainbow shot.

SouthMark
10-03-2012, 17:54
I see in your journal that you plan to hike it next August. That will be a great time to do it. I did it in August two years ago. No bugs, no rain, wonderful weather. Plenty of water but no high water crossings. The HMW is a great hike. Be sure and stop at White House Landing (if it is still open then). It is a great experience.

gizzy bear
10-03-2012, 17:56
We are planning to start the end of august... Trying to avoid the black flies and HOPEFULLY not get caught in a monsoon... Although I understand there is no guarantee about the rain ... And wanted to go when it started cooling down a bit...have any or all of you done the HMW? We are hoping for 9 days...

gizzy bear
10-03-2012, 18:01
JUST saw your post after I posted south mark ... Thanks !!! Glad to hear that is a good plan!! I am very excited !!! Still alot to do to prepare... We are getting new equipment and all...since we have never done a long multiday hike like that :)

gizzy bear
10-03-2012, 18:03
Thanks as well slo-goen & hikerboy57 as well!!

hikerboy57
10-03-2012, 18:18
We are planning to start the end of august... Trying to avoid the black flies and HOPEFULLY not get caught in a monsoon... Although I understand there is no guarantee about the rain ... And wanted to go when it started cooling down a bit...have any or all of you done the HMW? We are hoping for 9 days...
plan on 10 to 11 days, some resupply available at white house landing. the hundred mile is a lot more difficult than it looks.you can do it in 8 , but plan 10to11.

gizzy bear
10-03-2012, 18:45
We most def want to enjoy the hike so we don't want to rush... But does the time span you mentioned include mount katahdin ... Because we are planning to finish that as well?!? These are questions I have..thanks for all the good info !

hikerboy57
10-03-2012, 18:55
8 to 11 days from monson to abol bridge then 2-3 more days to go up and down katahdin,exit the park. you can check the baxter state park forum for more info on baxter,katahdin, reservations and so forth.
yes, take your time. the trail in maine is a never ending path of rocks roots and bogs.the 100 mile is beautiful, and theres no reason to rush unless you have a specific time constraint.

SouthMark
10-03-2012, 19:12
We did it in 12 days including climbing Katahdin. We started at Katahdin and went SOBO. I guess you could say it was only 11 days as we arrived at White House Landing before noon and stayed until next morning and we finished before noon on the 12th day. Don't hurry, enjoy.

gizzy bear
10-03-2012, 19:20
So where is white horse landing in relation to the trail? And what kind of re-supply are we talking about? Also... Trying to figure out the type of stove is best... Any suggestions... Really considering the pocket rocket..the physical part doesnt worry me as much as the being prepared part... Imma n00b & not afraid to say so...

swjohnsey
10-03-2012, 19:26
White House Landing is about a mile off the trail. The blue blazed trial starts off pretty easy but soon gets nasty. You are returned to a point about half that far off trail.

SouthMark
10-03-2012, 19:51
It is White HOUSE Landing

It is 32 trail miles south of Abol Bridge and 68 miles north of Monson. Turn off the AT at the Mahar Tote Road south of the Nahmakanta Stream Campsite and north of the Potaywadjo Lean-To (on your map, it is shown as a dotted line going down to the stream). When you reach the dock, you will find an airhorn hanging in a tree. Blow one short blast and you they will cross Pemadumcook Lake with a boat and pick you up and bring you to WHL.

http://www.whitehouselanding.com/index.html

gizzy bear
10-03-2012, 20:06
Good to know SouthMark... I appreciate the name correction... I was just replying to the post from earlier which was obviously a typo or auto correct... But I TRULY appreciate the good mile markers... That is what I am looking for!!!! I am not one who is fragile & needs coddling... Just give me the facts... That is what I need :) and whatever else advice you may have..

gizzy bear
10-03-2012, 20:09
Thank you as well swjohnsey... Love the info! Thanks :)