PDA

View Full Version : How are the trails/bugs in Vermont Right now ?

Darwin13
10-03-2012, 14:06
Doing a little two dayer in the greens this weekend and i am debating about leaving my full shelter at home. Instead I would bring a groundsheet and my hammock tarp. I would have sleeping pad and bag and warm clothing as the temp will get down to the 40s at night. The trail im doing is the AT after VT ( (bennington) to Goddard Shelter, then the west ridge trail back to the parking lot for a loop of about 24 miles give or take. Anybody have experience with this? also how are the bugs up there right now? muddy? (i know Vermud)

jakedatc
10-03-2012, 14:21
There were no bugs in August so i doubt there are bugs now. I would count on temps lower than that at goddard since it is most of the way up the mountain. and it is only 3 sided. i would count on feeling colder than that. can always use the tarp as a blanket or block off a section of the shelter if it isn't full to block some wind.

JDS
10-03-2012, 14:36
I am thru hiking sobo right now and just got into Rutland. The trails are WET and MUDDY. For shelter I've been using a diamond shaped tyvec tarp and somehow stayed dry last night in shelbourne pass. I have a 40 ° bag and havent been cold yet!

Lando11
10-03-2012, 15:19
I did that same loop about a month ago. The west ridge trail is not very exciting however. There are few places to camp that I saw. But, 1 of them on top of bald mt was very nice! Dry site, but the best place to camp that I saw.

Monkeywrench
10-03-2012, 15:25
The forecast for the weekend is cool so there should be no bugs, but I've been there in October after a few days of hot temperatures, and they somehow magically reappear!

Bags4266
10-03-2012, 16:55
Just came off trail north of your trip Gorham to Lincoln. It was wet windy and unseaonably cold. No bugs

Kerosene
10-03-2012, 17:11
No bugs, but I'd be prepared for the temps to drop into the 30s up in the mountains.

Slo-go'en
10-03-2012, 17:39
It's been raining on and off all week, but is suppost to finally clear out and get cold this weekend. The trails will definately be muddy and slippery and could be a little icy first thing in the morning. Bugs have been gone for a while now. I hardly saw any back in August.

Bags4266
10-03-2012, 17:54
Oh, btw overnights for a few days were mid twentys. Rest of the trip high thirties

Slo-go'en
10-03-2012, 18:23
Weather report right from Vermont Channel 3 news - rain all weekend, some times heavy, with highs in the mid 50's and lows in the high 30's and low 40's. Not a great weekend to go hiking :( Might clrear out on Monday...

Praha4
10-03-2012, 22:54
The last week it's getting colder in VT, doubt you'll see any bugs. You should be fine with just a tarp/groundsheet. I used a Black Diamond Betalite tarp w/tyvek groundsheet on the LT 2 weeks ago and it worked out fine. On a couple warmer nites when some gnats and flies showed up, I just put on my Sea2Summmit headnet and it was enuff.

The mud wasn't bad 2-3 weeks ago, but you've probably had more rain the last 2 weeks so the mud could be worse now. I talked to a realtor this morning in Waitsfield and she said the fall colors are really something this week, looks like they are peaking now.

and I'm down heah in Florida sippin' Margaritas on da beach man!

peakbagger
10-04-2012, 07:44
Given the forecast wet damp and cold. I wouldnt be surprised if the summits end up with some snow one of these nights.