PDA

View Full Version : Iat - 2013

bleucube
10-04-2012, 13:23
A friend and I just finished hiking the High Country Pathway in Michigan. 80 Miles in 4 days. It was our first hike and we are "high" off of it. We now want to do a hike in Wisconsin. Ice Age Trail seems perfect.

We are looking for something that's about 100 miles long. We perfered mark trails that are in the "backwoods". Any recommendations?

Odd Man Out
10-04-2012, 20:12
NCT across the UP?

SpottedCow
10-09-2012, 10:12
I can't recommend the Superior Hiking Trail enough. It's amazing up there.

SpottedCow
10-09-2012, 10:12
I know that's not in Wisconsin, but the Ice Age Trail doesn't have many segments that are long and uninterrupted by road.

gsingjane
10-10-2012, 09:26
The IAT is extremely cool but not "ready for prime time" in terms of an ld hike (at least it wasn't when I was there a few years ago). That's not to say that people don't, though. If you wanted to do it, I'd recommend getting the guide books and maps since there isn't much available online, and also checking it out to see when you need reservations for the shelters and where. I was surprised at that, compared to the AT. This could be a great adventure!

slow mind
10-10-2012, 10:44
Isle Royale N P in the spring.

turtle fast
10-14-2012, 22:36
Yes unfortunately the IAT is in its construction phase with some areas of road walks and bike/rail conversion paths. As much as I love the IAT and some descent 4 day hikes can be had, you do have other closer options. As before mentioned the Superior Hiking Trail is awesome, and you have the some good hiking on the North Country Trail by Octonagan toward the Porcupine Mountains. The porkies as well is ok, but you will more than likely run into other hikers/fishermen. The Greenstone Trail on Isle Royal is an awesome longer distance trail but it is generally a week and some logistics planning is necessary for the ferry to get there and the permits to be had.

WI_Mike
10-15-2012, 15:09
Agree with what others said. That said, you could probably put something together of 100 miles of the Ice Age Trail in Langlade/Lincoln/Taylor Cos. if you didn't mind having some road walking in there.

bleucube
02-12-2014, 16:16
I'll update my post. My friend and I had such a fantastic time on the High Country pathway that we were determined to do a "long distance" or "challenging" hike in every state. The rule we choosing the new trail was that it had to be in an adjacent state.

2012 = Michigan / High Country Pathway (80 miles / 4 days)
2013 = Indiana / Knobstone Trail (58 miles / 3 days) [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knobstone_Trail]
2014 = ?

options are: Ohio, Kentucky, Illinois

We like to head east, but my googlefu for Illinois long distance / challenging trails is failing me. Sigh.

Knobstone was an adventure. Saw nobody on trail. Elevation was killer. No water on trail so had to pre-cache. We had lots of problems with shuttle service. Scenery was not spectacular. Would not recommend.

DandT40
02-12-2014, 17:23
Check out the river to river trail in IL. It's down state so its probably further from you than the AT or other trails, but if the requirement is that it is in IL that will do the trick.