PDA

View Full Version : to kelty or not kelty

gizzy bear
10-04-2012, 19:56
I am researching a new pack... For the hundred mile wilderness... Was really interested in the golite pack (althogh the store didnt have a golite pack) and then tried on the kelty ... I actually liked it... Anyone have any pros & cons ? Or suggestions?

Tipi Walter
10-04-2012, 19:59
I am researching a new pack... For the hundred mile wilderness... Was really interested in the golite pack (althogh the store didnt have a golite pack) and then tried on the kelty ... I actually liked it... Anyone have any pros & cons ? Or suggestions?

Kelty? There are dozens of different Keltys. What kind?

gizzy bear
10-04-2012, 20:15
The Lakota 65... Although I was really wanting to know if people who had purchased kelty's felt like they were durable & comfortable ... Since they don't really seem to have alot of bells & whistles that other packs do..

Tipi Walter
10-04-2012, 20:22
The Lakota 65... Although I was really wanting to know if people who had purchased kelty's felt like they were durable & comfortable ... Since they don't really seem to have alot of bells & whistles that other packs do..

I can't answer your specific question but I can include a few choice pics of an internal Kelty in action--

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2002-2004/The-Final-Trip-of-2003/i-PQG7Svn/0/L/Trip-28-John-and-Mitten-L.jpg
My backpacking buddy Johnny Be is using his old Kelty on a 1,000 foot climb to a mountain top.

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2007/Johnny-Be-and-Amy-Willow-in/i-hMvzm6t/0/L/DSC01273-L.jpg
Here's another shot. Anyone know the model??

Anyway, I can only answer the Kelty question on their big external frame packs---sorry.

gizzy bear
10-04-2012, 20:53
Thanks tipi walter... I am a smaller internal frame kinda girl...Just learning ... But I appreciate your info .... Not wanting to lose certain comforts in the cost ...

Matt65
10-04-2012, 21:11
I have a 4750 and love it. It is durable and comfortable. You can carry a decent amount of weight comfortably if needed. I use a GoLite 50L now most of the time. They are both great packs that are each good at what they do. Shop for what fits you. Go for what works what you want it to do. Know what all you want your pack to carry. Don't shop by name brand alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWdAgCMEQ48&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

gizzy bear
10-04-2012, 21:30
Thanks matt65... I am just trying to make a wise purchase... I tried on the Gregory deeva before I tried on the kelty ... And i liked the reviews I had read on the Gregory , which was far more costly , the kelty was lighter & just felt better... Just seems I am wondering how a pack that is that much less expensive , is a better choice... Hence my question .. I really am here to learn & appreciate you responding .

Blackbeard30
10-04-2012, 21:57
I own a Kelty Redwing 44L. I like all the storage pockets it has and the material is really durable. The downside is that it weighs a little more than I'd like it to. I also have a Golite Quest 80L (i go backpacking with my kids). I really like it. The weight is almost the same as the Kelty but feels much better.

If you find something that fits you and your needs, go with it.

HooKooDooKu
10-04-2012, 22:02
Based on my experience with a Kelty back pack and a Kelty tent, I would describe their equipment as durable, but heavy. As an example, a typical large size Kelty back pack can weight about 6 lbs, while the REI large back pack I'm currently using is only 3 lbs. If you look into their back packs, they too are heavier than comparable packs by names like North Face and Marmot. But Kelty is also cheaper than these more expensive name brands to.

gizzy bear
10-04-2012, 22:37
Blackbeard30... I am looking for a golite retailer in my area so that I can actually see if the difference is the choice for me.... I am all about finding what works for me... It's amazing what a few pounds a difference makes... Thank you!

TheBeeMan
10-04-2012, 22:38
Have a Red Cloud 110. It's heavy-6+lbs but holds a lot of gear. Only negative I have are the buckles on the straps...they don't hold very well. I bought some cam buckles and put them on the shoulder straps in addition to the regular buckles and that seems to do the trick.

gizzy bear
10-04-2012, 22:41
Hookoodooku... I had heard the same in regards to weight.. So I was very surprised the Gregory pack was heavier than the kelty... And the kelty was a larger pack... I am really enjoying the info I am getting here... It really helps!!

gizzy bear
10-04-2012, 22:46
Thebeeman... My boyfriend is torn between the Gregory Baltero & the Red Cloud 90.... Huge cost difference... But straps are VERY important.... And this hike is dependent on equipment ... So that is a huge concern ... Thank ya much!!!

gizzy bear
10-04-2012, 22:51
Ultimately.. We want to have a great hike ...all the while making good equipment choices... I like the good , the bad & the ugly when it secures my decision making... Thanks!!!

Astro
10-04-2012, 23:16
I have used a Kelty for the past couple of years and really enjoyed the functionality and durability. Just in the past few weeks ordered a ULA Catalyst to help cut down on weight. My Kelty was a great entry pack with durability/functionality for a reasonable price, but now that I am getting more serious about backpacking I decided to spend the extra money to get something significanlty lighter.

I wish you well on your choice and your hiking.

pyroman53
10-05-2012, 09:03
but now that I am getting more serious about backpacking I decided to spend the extra money to get something significanlty lighter.

I wish you well on your choice and your hiking.

I bet many of us can say this. You can go through this too or maybe skip a step and try to find something sub 4 pound...or maybe sub 3 pound. Might not be feasible unless your gear is tuned a little in respect to weight and bulk. Sounds like you are already paying attention to weight of your choices.

HooKooDooKu
10-05-2012, 09:49
Hookoodooku... I had heard the same in regards to weight.. So I was very surprised the Gregory pack was heavier than the kelty... And the kelty was a larger pack... I am really enjoying the info I am getting here... It really helps!!

What I understand about Gregory packs is that they are heavy because of what they put into them to make them more "comfortable". I don't know what makes a Gegory pack feel more comfortable, but I've felt the difference. Simply standing still, a 40lb Gregory pack (properly fitted) is more comfortable on your back/hips than a 40lb Kelty or a 40lb REI. But at the end of the day, either way, your body is still hauling around 40lb.

RevLee
10-05-2012, 09:50
Blackbeard30... I am looking for a golite retailer in my area so that I can actually see if the difference is the choice for me.... I am all about finding what works for me... It's amazing what a few pounds a difference makes... Thank you!

Golite has changed their marketing model to direct sales, so you won't find them in retailers any more. But, since they have cut out the retail stores, their prices are now dramatically lower. SectionHiker.com (http://sectionhiker.com/golites-new-lightweight-business-model/) has more info.

gizzy bear
10-05-2012, 10:07
Astro... Thank you for your experience & the well wishes!

gizzy bear
10-05-2012, 10:14
Pyroman53... I am def concerned with the weight... And I realize that, especially in the beginning of this hike, every oz counts... That or turn my boyfriend into a pack mule ;)

Starchild
10-05-2012, 10:17
I have used a Kelty Redwing for years I think it's 3175 cu in. It's just about as comfortable you can get and stands up to the serious abrasion abuse I have given it on day hikes, many scrambles with tight squeezes, winter conditions and bushwhacks you need to crawl through. Yes it's a bit heavier but is a comfortable load worth a extra lb or 2, you need to decide add to that the bombproof construction.

I got it originally for my winter day pack, carrying snowshoes, crampons microspikes and other pointy things, I found it more comfortable then my summer pack and wore it year round. One thing about using it for backpacking I have found is it hits a hard limit of what you can carry. Most backpacks allow some 'wiggle' room for extra gear like under the floating top or straps on the bottom or, what I have now with my REI Flash a kangaroo pouch. With the Redwing unless you bring something extra and a way to externally secure it you can't carry more then the hard limit for this pack. That I see as a problem with resupplying at places with limited selection you may have to get more then you can pack.

I do plan to continue to use the Redwing as my pack of choice for winter day hiking, it just stand up to everything, though for summer I am considering a much smaller pack.

gizzy bear
10-05-2012, 10:18
Hookoodooku... You hit the nail on the head... I def do not want to sacrifice comfort for cost....

gizzy bear
10-05-2012, 10:23
Thanks RevLee... I was wondering why no stores had the golite packs... And although their prices have come down & I REALLY liked the packs & the premise.... I have a hard time buying something I have never tried on :/

Blackbeard30
10-05-2012, 10:37
Thanks RevLee... I was wondering why no stores had the golite packs... And although their prices have come down & I REALLY liked the packs & the premise.... I have a hard time buying something I have never tried on :/

That was the only concern I had when ordering my pack. I wasn't sure how it would fit. I called them and their customer service was great. The rep found a pack in a size that they was listed as "out of stock" on their website. When I got it, I was surprised how good it fit me.

gizzy bear
10-05-2012, 10:37
Starchild... That is some very helpful info...I assumed that kelty hasn't stayed in business for so long, for making crappy gear... and you proved that point... And you obviously like your pack... At this point in our planning I am hoping I won't need to push the hard limits on the pack... Thank you !

gizzy bear
10-05-2012, 10:40
Blackbeard30.... So do they have a good return policy.?

bad biscuit
10-05-2012, 11:10
I have and use a Kelty Coyote. Like many beginners, it was a well-known name, decent quality, and affordable for a beginner. It is slightly heavy at around 5 lbs, but holds a TON of gear, easy to adjust, and comfortable.

I have a Kelty Tent that I used before converting to hanging, and the Kelty pack. I have been pleased with both.

Moose2001
10-05-2012, 11:14
The one thing you've not mentioned is how much weight you will be carrying. You need to know both how much weight and how much size you need. Get a pack that will handle the weight comfortably. Not sure which Golite pack you're looking at but it may not handle the weight you need to carry. Look at each manufacturer's website and see what the packs are designed to handle for weight. I recommend having the weight you will carry in the mid-point of the recommendation. If you push it up to the top of the recommendation, sometimes the pack can start to have problems and become uncomfortable.

It all comes down to what feels good to you. You will have that pack on for 8 - 10 hours a day. If it doesn't fit or is uncomfortable, you'll be VERY unhappy!

RCBear
10-05-2012, 11:45
well...i can tell you that i am certainly going to enjoy the gear testing and preparation in the 10 or so lead up excursions prior to. been a fast and light hiker the past several years, so looking forward to the completely different set of logistics and prep that go into an extended backcountry hike with little to no resupply opportunities. Love all the useful information on these WB boards. Can't wait till i can contribute after i get more "true" backpacking skills under my belt :)

jakedatc
10-05-2012, 11:51
The one thing you've not mentioned is how much weight you will be carrying. You need to know both how much weight and how much size you need.

It all comes down to what feels good to you. You will have that pack on for 8 - 10 hours a day. If it doesn't fit or is uncomfortable, you'll be VERY unhappy!

This is why recommending packs of any type on the internet without a good gear list or photo of everything is nearly impossible. plus the fact that what feels awesome to me could feel like crap to you. everyone is going to say what pack they use..

4lb is heavy.. 65L is a lot of space. 11 days without resupply is a long time.. pretty sure you can mail stuff midway in there. might not take you 11 days if you lighten things up.

Tipi Walter
10-05-2012, 12:29
This is why recommending packs of any type on the internet without a good gear list or photo of everything is nearly impossible. plus the fact that what feels awesome to me could feel like crap to you. everyone is going to say what pack they use..

4lb is heavy.. 65L is a lot of space. 11 days without resupply is a long time.. pretty sure you can mail stuff midway in there. might not take you 11 days if you lighten things up.

Totally agree with this, the first sentence. The hardest thing to buy for a backpacker is a backpack. Why? Cuz the moment of truth comes after a week on the trail with some real-world weight. This is esp true when humping 60-80 lbs. There's no way you'll find this out in a backpacking store with sand bags and definitely no way to know with interweb online shopping.

RCBear
10-05-2012, 12:49
Totally agree with this, the first sentence. The hardest thing to buy for a backpacker is a backpack. Why? Cuz the moment of truth comes after a week on the trail with some real-world weight. This is esp true when humping 60-80 lbs. There's no way you'll find this out in a backpacking store with sand bags and definitely no way to know with interweb online shopping.

I love testing gear. Every endurance day hike i trained for always included substantial testing of all my gear in the field prior to. I am a firm believer in knowing how your stuff works, well enough to make it work right in less than desirable conditions. Looking forward to playing with the gear/packing variables and finding that balance between weight, comfort, durability and cost and how they work with the weather and terrain variables during longer hikes. Love the constant tweaking and tuning that takes place with each successive venture!

avalonmorn
10-05-2012, 16:28
Gizzy Bear, I sew some of my gear, sewn all my life. I have an eye for quality stitching, and own a Golite pinnacle, and a Kelty Trekker 3900, xs external frame. Both have quality stitching, A+ grade fabric, and attention to detail. I'm 5'2", and have a short torso. Both packs fit me well. My Golite is fine until I overload it. I think it weighs about 2 pounds or less. My Kelty weighs almost 5 lbs, but carries a heavy load better (25/30 lbs). I carry medical supplies in addition to all my gear, and am on a budget so can't pay $200+ for an ultralite pack. If the Kelty felt better, buy it. Google "Kelty customer service reviews", and you will find out it's a great company. Hope this helps.

XrayDuke
10-05-2012, 19:12
I have a Kelty Coyote 4750 that I use for a winter pack when carrying all the extra weight that comes with winter camping. It is very comfortable and holds a big load. I use a Golite Jam 50 for 3 season camping and love it for the lighter weight. Both are good packs but each has a different use for me.

gizzy bear
10-05-2012, 19:14
Avalonmom... Awesome advice!!! Thank you!!! I am really gearing toward the kelty... But still open...

gizzy bear
10-05-2012, 19:16
Thanks RCBear for your input... You are the smarter of the two!!!

Erin
10-05-2012, 20:28
My Kelty's have held up very well for years. They are heavy, but in good shape I can't get rid of them.

gizzy bear
10-05-2012, 20:36
Erin... Funny thing is the kelty was lighter than the gregory I tried on... By almost a lb with a higher carry weight .. Good to hear you like yours!!!

Mountain Mike
10-05-2012, 22:32
I own a Kelty Cloud 6500? 4lbs with everything on it but I can remove all the pockets & frame bars & compress it down in size & weight to under 2lb. Love it.

Dash
10-05-2012, 22:52
After much research and trying several on and even returning a few. I settled on the RED CLOUD 90 (6500 CU. IN.) because it works well if you have a shorter torso being 5' 8" i needed better fit. The down side is the pack weighs 6lbs. I'm not a UL backpacker anyway. GOOD LUCK

Tipi Walter
10-05-2012, 23:47
Erin... Funny thing is the kelty was lighter than the gregory I tried on... By almost a lb with a higher carry weight .. Good to hear you like yours!!!

The old Kelty frame packs were very . . .uh . . . light, if I can use this word. Several years ago I was on a trip into NC and saw a guy with an older Kelty and got this shot---
http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2006/Rob-Bush-At-Naked-Ground-Gap/i-6mbKnsk/0/L/56-9-A-Very-Old-Kelty-Pack-d2-L.jpg
The exposed zippers and the triangle brand tag denotes its age.

RCBear
10-06-2012, 10:00
The old Kelty frame packs were very . . .uh . . . light, if I can use this word. Several years ago I was on a trip into NC and saw a guy with an older Kelty and got this shot---
http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2006/Rob-Bush-At-Naked-Ground-Gap/i-6mbKnsk/0/L/56-9-A-Very-Old-Kelty-Pack-d2-L.jpg
The exposed zippers and the triangle brand tag denotes its age.[/QUOTE]

Blast from the past! Reminds me of first pack as a boy scout in the 70's :) looks like its still trucking!

pyroman53
10-06-2012, 10:15
I have that pack hanging in in my garage but I'd be afraid to load it and test the 40 year old straps. Man! Packin up was easy with that pack leanin against a tree with all those pockets and compartments!

Tipi Walter
10-06-2012, 14:04
I have that pack hanging in in my garage but I'd be afraid to load it and test the 40 year old straps. Man! Packin up was easy with that pack leanin against a tree with all those pockets and compartments!

It's the biggest thing I miss with my internals---leaning my pack up and having everything stay open for easy access. Anyone who's done any serious backpacking in the 1960's or 1970's carried one of these or a Jansport or a CampTrails or other external.

evansprater
10-06-2012, 14:07
I just bought a Lakota 65 and love it! Hitting Springer Mountain tomorrow!

SunnyWalker
10-06-2012, 14:33
Kelty, the original! However, I usually leave my Kelty Continental and use my ULA backpack. Google it.

CrumbSnatcher
10-06-2012, 17:09
I never hiked with anything but KELTY Externals, i didn't know they made anything else :-)

jeffmeh
10-06-2012, 17:24
Regretfully, I recently tossed this Trailwise pack that I originally bought in the late seventies. It served me very well for many years, but the bag ended up losing its coating and rotting out. I used to load this one up to between 70 and 100 pounds and take kids out for 2-3 day trips in the Whites. Now I do have a big Osprey internal if I want to carry a large load, but if I ever through-hike that is clearly the wrong tool for the task. I would shoot to fit everything into a ULA Circuit, or something similarly sized. That is not ultralight by any means, but reasonably light given the tradeoffs.

Tipi Walter
10-07-2012, 15:57
Regretfully, I recently tossed this Trailwise pack that I originally bought in the late seventies. It served me very well for many years, but the bag ended up losing its coating and rotting out. I used to load this one up to between 70 and 100 pounds and take kids out for 2-3 day trips in the Whites. Now I do have a big Osprey internal if I want to carry a large load, but if I ever through-hike that is clearly the wrong tool for the task. I would shoot to fit everything into a ULA Circuit, or something similarly sized. That is not ultralight by any means, but reasonably light given the tradeoffs.

Anyone interested in this stuff should check out---

http://www.pbase.com/mad_monte1/_retro_outdoor_gear&page=all

(http://www.pbase.com/mad_monte1/_retro_outdoor_gear&page=all)http://www.oregonphotos.com/Trailwise-Ski-Hut1.html

Altarboy
10-07-2012, 16:51
Man the pics of that vintage gear are awesome.

HooKooDooKu
10-07-2012, 19:18
The exposed zippers and the triangle brand tag denotes its age.

OMG, that's the same vintage as the Kelty Super Tioga I replaced just 3 months ago (and then, I only replaced it to try out an internal frame pack that was lighter). I recongnize the frame construction, the padding, and the red-lined zippers.

Tipi Walter
10-07-2012, 22:03
OMG, that's the same vintage as the Kelty Super Tioga I replaced just 3 months ago (and then, I only replaced it to try out an internal frame pack that was lighter). I recongnize the frame construction, the padding, and the red-lined zippers.

I was on the AT last year at the Wise shelter in Mt Rogers and saw this old Kelty which is similar to the other Kelty I saw---

http://assets.trailspace.com/assets/5/c/b/67019/TRIP-123-477.jpg

Deacon
10-08-2012, 06:20
Hookoodooku... You hit the nail on the head... I def do not want to sacrifice comfort for cost....

That's what I said a year ago before I hiked up and down the mountains of Vermont. Now I'm very willing to pay more for less weight.

At the same time, I'm trying to answer my own question, am I willing to give up some comfort for less weight? My answer keeps coming up yes, because I'm out there because I enjoy hiking.

I just bought a Z Packs Exo pack, 50L, 14 oz. The hybrid cuben/nylon material seems and feels durable, but time will tell. The carbon frame is a little delicate, but is very comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gizzy bear
10-08-2012, 09:47
i really appreciate all the responses and learing so much about different packs as well... OH! and as far as what weight will i be carrying...i am planning on 35lbs...the best we can figure at this point... (and i am gonna try to sneak a 12 pack in... but don't tell RCBear ;) )

avalonmorn
10-08-2012, 17:43
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Medium-Kelty-Trekker-64-Java-Red-External-Frame-Backpack-150-Value-/120997013899?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2bfbe98b

This is like my Kelty Trekker, the most comfortable pack I've tried on.

romany
10-08-2012, 18:00
Years ago I had a Kelty Red Cloud, 5000 cubic inches, and it was the most comfortable pack I have ever worn. It was heavy though at 5 1/2 lbs. I changed to an Osprey Kestrel (55 liters?), just a bit under 4 lbs and it works well...nowhere as comfortable as the Kelty but much more efficient and larger than I need. I have enough extra room for 2-3 extra watermelons (joke). I can drop the weight another 1 2/ lb. or so by trimming, etc. but instead put attention on what I'm carrying rather than what I carry it in. Works for me.

jeffmeh
10-08-2012, 19:16
Anyone interested in this stuff should check out---

http://www.oregonphotos.com/Trailwise-Ski-Hut1.html

Thanks Walter, that sure brings back a few memories. I hated to part with the Trailwise pack as it was a great piece of gear, ridiculously comfortable with that huge back panel lashed to the frame, but when it started rotting out it started to stink. I have kept around an old Optimus "blue box" stove for nostalgia purposes.

The piece of gear from that era that I do use is a down mummy bag, but I can no longer remember who made it and the label has faded past the point of having any visible lettering. It is a center zip, navy exterior, light blue interior, with a red label up high to the immediate left of the zip, a velcro piece up top to "fasten the collar," a gold nylon cord with a black plastic cord lock to cinch it up, and formerly with black "ribbon" straps coming off the outside of the footbox, ostensibly to roll and tie the bag, and weighs about 3 lbs., 10 oz. It might be an old Jansport, or White Stag, but I have not been able to find a label like that on the web. It is also quite possible that I might recognize the name of some more obscure manufacturer if reminded, lol. Anyone have any clue?

Pendragon
10-08-2012, 22:16
I always wonder why exactly these infernal.....excuse me, I mean INternal frame packs do not transfer the weight of the pack to the hip belt the way externals do. Anyway, I would much rather carry 35 lbs on my hips without worrying about pack failures than "risk" it on a delicate light pack that apparently shares a lot of the weight with the shoulder straps.

mamamiapdx
10-11-2012, 22:49
I think Kelty is value brand, I have a tent which is decent and best value for the money. If you can spend 20-30% more, then you can go with other premium brands.

Train Wreck
10-19-2012, 15:06
Gizzy,
You mentioned trying on a Gregory Deva 60 and said it didn't feel as comfortable as some of the other brands. Did you check to see what size Deva they gave you to try on? This model comes in XS, S, and M. The size will definitely make a difference. Did they measure your torso length to make sure you got the correct size? Just wondering if you should have gone up or down a size, and tried moving the hip belt and other adjustment points. I love my Deva and absolutely recommend it for longer trips or cold weather use. I try to carry no more than 30-32 lb at the most, and I'm fairly short (5'3") and this pack has been comfortable for me from day one. It's extremely well-made, durable, and has some features, like the removable top pack/day pack combo, that other brands don't have. If you get the hip belt fitted correctly, even heavy loads are comfortable enough for a full day of hiking. I agree, it's an expensive pack, but it will get you thru the HMW in good shape.
Whatever you get, I'm envious of your upcoming hike. I've been sectioning the AT northbound for years, but thinking about jumping up to NH/ME so I won't be in my 60's by the time I finally get that far. :)

trapper
10-19-2012, 21:10
someone in an earlier post mentioned a 90L pack. with the exception of expeditions or carring cap for kids/family what in the world would you need a pack this large for? just curious

trapper
10-19-2012, 21:11
crap for the kids*

gizzy bear
10-19-2012, 22:57
Well...@ train wreck.... The deva I tried on was a small... Perhaps it wasn't adjusted right... But it was hot!!!! As in... Made me sweat... Not stolen...this week I tried on the osprey aura 65 (I think that was the #)....but I don't really care cuz I LOVE that pack!!!!!!! It had me at hello.

gizzy bear
10-19-2012, 23:02
@ trapper ... I certainly would need the 90.... I only weigh 118... Not looking to carry almost my body weight.... My BF was looking at the 90 tho.... You think it's too much pack ?!?

gizzy bear
10-19-2012, 23:09
I certainly WOULDN'T need the 90... Silleh typo

gizzy bear
10-19-2012, 23:18
@ train wreck... I am soooo very excited about the HMW!!! The more I read about it the more excited I get....and I am enjoying learning so much from some people here!!! I may need to give the deva another shot!!!

jakedatc
10-19-2012, 23:38
@ trapper ... I certainly would need the 90.... I only weigh 118... Not looking to carry almost my body weight.... My BF was looking at the 90 tho.... You think it's too much pack ?!?

If you are looking at a 90L pack you are doing something terribly wrong. 60L is a lot of space that should be enough for 5 days of food on top of your gear.

gizzy bear
10-19-2012, 23:43
I am not looking at the 90 pack... My BF is.. I'm looking in the 65 range....

Train Wreck
10-19-2012, 23:55
@ train wreck... I am soooo very excited about the HMW!!! The more I read about it the more excited I get....and I am enjoying learning so much from some people here!!! I may need to give the deva another shot!!!

Everyone is different! Whatever pack you get, look for quality of construction and potential durability...someone else remarked on the consequences of trying to over stuff the lighter packs (blown seams, broken zippers, etc) - not a lot of fun in the middle of a backpacking trip in the middle of nowhere! The Deva is very well made and a good sturdy hauler. BTW, it's on sale right now at Sierra Trading Post for $149.95.

jakedatc
10-19-2012, 23:56
ok HE is doing something wrong. why does he need so much space.. people easily fit AT hiking gear in 46L packs. I like my Exos 58 (really like 52 in my size SM) because it gives some flexibility. my tent even fits inside on shorter trips.

jakedatc
10-19-2012, 23:58
Exos 58 also on sale. if it fits, it is plenty of space and light without being fragile. It also has a 100% guarantee from Osprey

http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/specials/12/Osprey.html (http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/specials/12/Osprey.html)

Starchild
10-20-2012, 09:00

Where is your BF at in backpacking? There is a person who sometimes joins us on backpacks and he has the strength of a ox. I would not consider him a hard core backpacker, nor do I think he would consider himself on. To him backpacking is just a change of pace and he does not mind muscling through it and is more then able, and since it's not his main thing, he does not want to get all the light weight compact gear. His pack is the largest thing I have seen out there, I would estimate well over 100 l, perhaps pushing 150 l. He brings steal pots, and several (well 2) to select from to give you a idea.

90 is big, very big by backpacking standards, but for a inexperienced but strong backpacker who may not have ultralight/ultra-compact gear and who may be improvising things from home and perhaps bringing things that are not really necessary 90 may be what your BF needs.

We all need to start somewhere, and the trend seems to be as we grow in backpacking experience our packs shrinks. But you don't want to go too small for your needs, that just leads to frustration and packing difficulties on the trail (in the rain during black fly season while being stalked by hungry chipmunks), I find it much better to have a bit of extra room then not enough.

trapper
10-20-2012, 09:51
i wouldn't considered myself UL(25lbs for 4-5 days - 2 L of h2o) i use a talon 44 and don't fill it up....ask some of these guy. who have did LOTS hiking the key is don't bring crap you don't need. and the stuff you do need bring a small version of it.(ie not a full size multi tool a half size is more than suffice)

RCBear
10-20-2012, 14:57
ok HE is doing something wrong. why does he need so much space.. people easily fit AT hiking gear in 46L packs. I like my Exos 58 (really like 52 in my size SM) because it gives some flexibility. my tent even fits inside on shorter trips.

to date most of my hiking has been endurance day hikes lasting between 15 and 20 hours on the trail and I've gotten by just fine with my Gregory Z pack that is large enough to carry overnight stuff if I'm stuck on the mountain or in the Grand Canyon unexpectedly. I had originally looked at the Kelty 90 liter simply because I liked the way it felt loaded and the price was excellent. That said, I most likely going to end up with you either the Baltoro 65 or 75. I love the way it feels with a 40lb load. our intention by design is to do the hike without resupply and want to make sure we have 9 to 10 days worth of supplies 2 also include Katahdin. we do not intend to resupply at the White House landing or have drops. again that is by design. I also want a pack that I can load up for camping with the kids and able to travel with in this particular Gregory would seem to suit my needs for all of the above. I do look forward to more of this type of backpacking and the fun of honing my gear to what I will consider to be the perfect weight over the next few years while still allowing for some of the comforts would never find their way into an ultra lighters pack :) thanks for all the great info!! Love delving into a different style of hiking than what I am used to!!

RED-DOG
10-20-2012, 15:01
When i Thru-Hiked in 06 i used a ( Kelty, Tornado 45 ) and it worked fine, until i got to Vermont then the Hip belts started rubbing me the wrong way i replaced them but other than that it was a great pack.

jakedatc
10-20-2012, 15:17
I suppose. from Monson it is only 115mi of a lot of dead flat walking. 9-10 days heavily loaded is a style that i don't identify with. i'd be looking at 6-7 days max with <30lb. maybe next summer it will be a reality.

RCBear
10-20-2012, 15:59
I'm looking forward to analyzing our methods when done. I'm guessing everyone gets lighter over time. I can't imagine many that go the other way :)

Hopemsu
10-28-2012, 10:21
The Gregory Baltoro 65 is twice as expensive, $245 dollars versus $115 dollars for the Kelty Lakota. The gregory is not twice as comfortable though. It does have a few more bells and whistles than the kelty. Are you a frequent hiker? Once a month? Go with the Gregory. Twice a year? Then I would go with the kelty. It all depends on what you want to drop and extra $115 dollars on. IMO, unless you are a frequent hiker, get the Kelty. It's more than sufficient.

Raymond James
10-28-2012, 12:27
I was just looking at my Kelty but do not see any model markings or size info. I purchased it in 1983 in part because at the time it was considered light weight, it was big and it appeared to be durable. I have had years when it wasn't used but it usualy gets a week or so a year and 6 or 7 weekend trips. Got to use it in Europe, Korea and Central America and it still looks about new. Plenty of better options availble these days in all gear catagories.

The large size was so I could carry the tent, water filter, stove, cook pots, some clothes and food for my wife and young daughters who were 7 nad 12. I had a tent large enough for us all to fit in as the youngest did not want to sleep outdoors without being with mom.

For a young thru hiker I would consider a smaller, lighter pack. If you only want to carry 25-30 lbs then make sure you cannot get more than 30 lbs of stuff in it. The pack you get may not last as long but I would think you would be happier having a lighter pack.

You may decide later to get a larger pack for weekend trips when and if you have children. I still use my Kelty and just try not to fill it unless I have to. I don't mind being a pack mule if it means I can get a person out to try camping.

My number one criteria if I were to get a new pack is how comfortable is the pack? It has to fell good when loaded. I would take a bigger, slightly heavier pack if it felt better than the smaller, light weight pack.

ope you find something that works for you.