PDA

View Full Version : Section hike from Roanoke Va to Swift Run Gap

Mwhitese
10-05-2012, 09:25
I am planning a northbound section hike from Roanoke, Va to Swift Run Gap and would like to leave my car somewhere close to Switf Run Gap. is there any place around Stanardsville or Elkton to park and then a shuttle to get me back there at the end of the hike?

Also we are planning to do this over 2 weeks - so I would also like to find a place to send my second week's food supply so that we don't have to carry all of that two week supply in our packs.

Any suggestions? thanks in advance for your help

HikerMom58
10-05-2012, 12:14
I live in Roanoke. I'm sure there's a way to get you back to your car from here. There's good shuttle people in the area. I'm sure they will see your thread, if not, I can work something out with you.
Think about the Dutch Haus B&B for a maildrop. I'm sure they could get you from the trail. There's also a post office nearby, I think.

Mwhitese
10-05-2012, 12:30
thanks for the suggestion of the Dutch Haus... looks like a really cool place to stay...

HikerMom58
10-05-2012, 12:50
thanks for the suggestion of the Dutch Haus... looks like a really cool place to stay...

Yes, it is and ur welcome! When do you plan on making this section hike happen?

Mwhitese
10-05-2012, 12:54
Last week in March - First week in April next year...

HikerMom58
10-05-2012, 13:13
Ok... so you have a while to plan and arrange things. That will be a great hike. :) We'll stay in touch....

yellowsirocco
10-05-2012, 13:40
Dutch Haus is awesome, but there are great trail angels in Waynesboro and you can easily get a ride in and out of that town. Me, I like the option of incorporating both. Plus you don't want to miss that Chinese buffet.

bspycc79
10-05-2012, 15:47
Piling on here, Dutch Haus is awesome! I slack-packed out of there for a few days this summer, great place, great people.

johnnybgood
10-05-2012, 15:55
Dutch Haus is great for mail drops and doing laundry while enjoying the beautiful views from the front porch rocker. The AT is approx. 2 miles away.
As the above poster mentioned, there are numerous trail angels in the Waynesboro area that can shuttle you in and around town.

Another option is leaving your car at the Afton Inn for two weeks-no charge. They do require of you to complete a waiver form at the reservation desk.

Do Weasies Kitchen for breakfast along with Mings Chinese Buffet.

bigcranky
10-05-2012, 19:43
There is parking right at the entrance station at Swift Run Gap. Seems like an ok place to park. I'd +1 the recommendation for both the Dutch Haus and Waynesboro. You can send a maildrop to Dutch Haus, which might be the best way to resupply in that area.

Waynesboro
10-08-2012, 13:13
I am planning a northbound section hike from Roanoke, Va to Swift Run Gap and would like to leave my car somewhere close to Switf Run Gap. is there any place around Stanardsville or Elkton to park and then a shuttle to get me back there at the end of the hike?

Also we are planning to do this over 2 weeks - so I would also like to find a place to send my second week's food supply so that we don't have to carry all of that two week supply in our packs.

Any suggestions? thanks in advance for your help
Roanoke to Swift Run Gap is a good hike that I think you will enjoy. YellowSirocco is right about the Waynesboro Trail Angel network. They are plentiful and will drive you down the mountain into Waynesboro and back up to Rockfish Gap for free. The list is posted at Rockfish Gap Visitors Center. I am one of the Trail Angels of Waynesboro.

If you still need a shuttle, I can recommend TrailAngel.Org, because that is me. ;-)

Greg

HikerMom58
10-08-2012, 13:27
AWESOME Greg!! :) Good to know!!!

Blissful
10-08-2012, 18:59
Probably could park by the ranger station at Swift Run Gap, but you might call them as you're talking a couple of weeks.