PDA

View Full Version : coffee on the trail for caffeine feinds

Uncle Silly
05-11-2005, 07:39
what are some experiences with caffeine on the trail? i'm a long-time coffee addict and don't do soft drinks due to dental troubles. i've tried the tea-making method (tying up the coffee grounds in a coffee filter or other porous paper or fabric), but it seems a little weighty.

i think i'm starting my thru attempt with the chocolate-covered coffee beans instead. we'll see how long that lasts; as summer comes on i'm expecting a gooey mess.

the other lightweight option seems to be the caffeinated mints (Pengiun mints is the brand i know, but i'm sure there are others). 3 mints equals the caffeine in one cup of coffee, so do the math... i get caffeine headaches with no coffee, and usually one cup staves that off, so i think ~5/day would do me.

max patch
05-11-2005, 09:04
I used to have a cup of coffee at my desk all day long.

On my thru after a couple of weeks I decided that firing up the stove and cooking a hot breakfast wasn't worth the hassle. Coffee after that point was limited to a couple cups with breakfast one day a week when in town for resupply. No problems going without.

Today coffee only with breakfast. None after 9 am or so.

Stoker53
05-11-2005, 09:05
http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/DVH/Uses/0,3915,7882%7CErgotamine+and+Caffeine+Rectal+Suppo sitories,00.htmlcaffeine suppositories ....that should do it

MOWGLI
05-11-2005, 09:14
what are some experiences with caffeine on the trail? i'm a long-time coffee addict and don't do soft drinks due to dental troubles.

I'm am a heavy coffee drinker. Caffeine is my drug of choice these days. That being said, I don't drink it on the trail. Like Max said, it's a hassle. Going without on the trail makes town visits all the sweeter - IMO.

gr8fulyankee
05-11-2005, 09:43
I am a heavy coffee drinker, although I only drink decaf ( I just get too wired with caf).
But I alway have my morning coffee when on the trail. I use the one cup coffee filters
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=13559
and have a ziplock of fresh ground coffee. I grind the coffee a little finer than the stuff I use in my home coffee maker to get the coffee to brew quicker. I really don't see it as a hassle, it only takes a minute to boil a cup of water and then you pour it in the cup and as most coffee drinkers know, there is nothing like a fresh cup of coffee in the morning.

Dances with Mice
05-11-2005, 09:50
I am a heavy coffee drinker, although I only drink decaf ( I just get too wired with caf).
But I alway have my morning coffee when on the trail. I use the one cup coffee filters
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=13559
and have a ziplock of fresh ground coffee. I grind the coffee a little finer than the stuff I use in my home coffee maker to get the coffee to brew quicker. I really don't see it as a hassle, it only takes a minute to boil a cup of water and then you pour it in the cup and as most coffee drinkers know, there is nothing like a fresh cup of coffee in the morning.

Check out a new product I saw in Publix. They (...and maybe other grocery stores in our area, but Publix for sure...) have new coffee mug sized french presses. In a stand-alone display on the main aisle by the registers in the one at Hway 9/Post Rd in Forsyth County.

I have the "Big Sky Bistro" and it's bigger than I really like to carry. But the
ones I saw the other day looked pretty interesting.

The Hog
05-11-2005, 09:53
I like carrying ground coffee on the trail, but have also experimented with Vivarin. The pills are ultralight, there's no mess or preparation, and it's a good pick-me-up when the energy starts to flag. But there's something about the smell of ground coffee...

My next trip (on the CDT in Montana), I'll carry several tea bags, a few tablespoons of good quality ground coffee, a few filters, and several Vivarin. That way, I can occasionally get the sensory pleasure of real coffee, but also have the convenience of a quick jolt from a pill.

By the way, instead of a filter holder, I just secure the filter on top of my plastic cup with a rubber band.

Mags
05-11-2005, 09:59
I love my mornig cuppa joe. (Or would that be 16oz mug of joe?). At the PCT KOP, Chris and I were equally aghast that they had DECAF Sunday morning. The horror...the horror.

Having said that, I quit cold turkey on the trail. Do not bother making my morning cup. I don't get caffiene headaches..but I do feel tired. Since I am hiking..don't know if it really makes a difference. When in town, though, the first thing I order is a hot, delicious, filling cup of coffee!

gr8fulyankee
05-11-2005, 10:02
By the way, instead of a filter holder, I just secure the filter on top of my plastic cup with a rubber band.
Yeah I ditched the lame holder after it's first use. The hot water made it very flexible and I found I can just use a small stick which works better and on the trail there really seems to be an unlimited supply of them

The Hog
05-11-2005, 10:11
I also use small sticks, but in a different capacity: fuel to heat the water for the coffee. Talk about ambiance. A small campfire, a little smoke to chase the bugs away, and a nice hot cup of coffee. Ah, life is good!

gr8fulyankee
05-11-2005, 10:13
I also use small sticks, but in a different capacity: fuel to heat the water for the coffee. Talk about ambiance. A small campfire, a little smoke to chase the bugs away, and a nice hot cup of coffee. Ah, life is good!
You have just described nirvana!

The Hog
05-11-2005, 10:20
Yea, brother, we have found the promised land!

kncats
05-11-2005, 10:31
My wife and I have pretty much given up on having coffee while hiking. I'd rather have a good cup of tea than a poor cup of coffee. Coffee doesn't lend itself well to methods of preparing that involve steeping the grounds, it needs a lot of hot water flowing around it to best bring out the flavor. A french press does work well, but the coffee isn't confined in a small space. We haven't found a press though that is light enough to consider carrying.

As far as caffeine withdrawal headaches are concerned, your body becomes caffeine naive after about 72 hours. Only a very small amount is actually needed each day until your system is used to it not being there.

Nean
05-11-2005, 10:36
I have whole beans and a grinder in my bounce box. Plug in at the PO and grind up a fresh batch for each section! I like a cup in the morning AND at lunch! Never thought about it being a hassle, never considered the weight. Most likely an ignorance/coffee is bliss thang.:rolleyes:

TDale
05-11-2005, 11:06
Concentrate. C'mon, you can do it.

No really, coffee concentrate

Soak 1lb of ground coffee in 9 cups of cold water for 12 hours.

After soaking drain the concentrate from the grounds Maybe a filter sagged inside a container w/ a rubber band around the outside to hold the filter on.

It will make 9 cups of concentrate that will last a few weeks in the fridge and easily a few days on the trail.

Mix 1 part concetrate w/3 parts hot water and you have a sweet cup of joe.

Lilred
05-11-2005, 11:40
I haven't seen anyone mention the Folger's coffee bags. Just like tea bags only with coffee in them. very lightweight and very convenient. Makes a decent cup of coffee without the hassle. I have the Folgers brand but I'm sure others must be making them.

kentucky99
05-11-2005, 12:51
I really dont see a issue with this what do you want,coffee is always part of my food group instant or grounded and then boil it. coffee is not heavy candy bars are more heavy than coffee ,I get withdrawls from not having it but thats not a issue because it comes before most extras,If you are dry packing yes,guess you drink coolaid or wait till ya go to town,I have coffee everymorning and evening the trail actually makes it enjoyable, l look foward to it after a hard day like a pack mule,ky:sun

Uncle Silly
05-11-2005, 15:25
Nean: grinder and beans in a bounce box?! you're a nut. but i like it!

Lilredmg: the Folger's one-shot coffee bags are where i got my tea-method of trail brewing. it's an ok (not great) method of making coffee, but it is Folgers (ie bad) coffee. i've found this method works better if you put the coffee bag in the water and let it boil a few minutes (instead of pouring boiling water over the bag and letting it steep like a hot tea). you get a stronger cup of coffee that way.

i had friends that would tell me about coffee making in the army. add your grounds straight to the pot and let boil for a while. take eggshells left over from your breakfast and put them into the pot. when you pour the coffee, the eggshells catch the grounds and you get a groundless cup of coffee. i've never tried this method tho (and i don't plan on bringing eggs on the trail) so YMMV.

Moon Monster
05-11-2005, 17:24
Soak 1lb of ground coffee in 9 cups of cold water for 12 hours.

Sounds like regular strength to me!
;)

I'm a fiend about coffee in regular life, but from a weekend to a thru-hike, on the trail I don't drink it and don't miss it.

kentucky99
05-11-2005, 18:21
its not a complicated thing to do!just make it:D ky

SavageLlama
05-11-2005, 21:40
It's funny, I need at least two cups each morning to function at work. But when I'm on the trail I don't need it at all.

That ought to tell me something. Now only if I could get paid to hike... :-?

kncats
05-12-2005, 07:10
I haven't seen anyone mention the Folger's coffee bags. Just like tea bags only with coffee in them. very lightweight and very convenient. Makes a decent cup of coffee without the hassle. I have the Folgers brand but I'm sure others must be making them.
If you look at the ingredients list for the Folger's coffee bags you'll see that they are mostly instant coffee. They euphemistically call it "concentrated coffee".

Nean
05-12-2005, 07:24
A couple of tips for cowboy coffee. After a slow boil of +_5min. remove from fire. Add a splash of cold water on top and tap the bottom of your pot 2x (not 1,3,4...) on a rock. All the grounds will sink, your ready to drink!

Kerosene
05-12-2005, 07:37
I love the smell of coffee but I've never acquired the taste for coffee straight-up. However, it appears that I've become addicted to lattés. Those powdered latté mixes are just plain horrible. I think it's just a matter of time before Starbucks completes its plan for world dominance with mini-stores at major trail crossings a day apart. :banana

Uncle Silly
05-12-2005, 13:09
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! (We have enough Starbucks in the world don'tcha think?!)

Tho I agree, the powdered latte mixes suck goats.

Singer
05-12-2005, 13:32
I got to have my coffee in the morning, but I haven't found a coffee making method that I like. I also am not awake enough in the morning to dig the sugar and creamer out of my pack and neatly scoop it into a fresh cup of hot coffee water(all I can seem to get out of Folgers bags). I have started using International House of Coffee packets. You can buy a pack with 8 different flavors in one serving packets. Gives me the flavored coffee I look for in the morning without spilling hot coffee all over myself and my pack! :jump

Lumberjack
05-12-2005, 14:36
Silly things.... I have an alum. 4 cup coffee perculator from REI I carry... 8 oz of pure luxury for the entire setup.

Ridge
05-13-2005, 00:53
My hubby makes his own instant "International Coffee" hazelnut flavor. Just add boiling water and you got some good stuff. hikerwife

Pencil Pusher
05-13-2005, 02:00
I'd stay away from the chocolate covered coffee beans. They taste too good and the caffeine intake is enormous. In no time at all you'll be the great Cornholio.

Teatime
05-13-2005, 07:43
Tea rules! It is the #1 beverage worldwide.

kentucky99
05-13-2005, 09:23
allright teatime I guess we can share tea and coffee:-? ky

oldfivetango
05-14-2005, 06:57
Anyone have the low down on anti-oxidant effects of tea and coffee?
I have heard that coffee is an A/O and that dark tea is just as potent as
green tea.I drink coffee in the mornings and tea in the afternoons-no sugar.
Sugar is bad-that's a no-brainer.
I wonder if anyone in the medical community will weigh in on the health
aspects of coffee and tea?
Cheers,
Oldfivetango

Mini-Mosey
05-14-2005, 14:24
Interesting information on this thread. Making and drinking my coffee is the first agenda of the day for me, whether on or off the trail. I am crazy(or so my father thinks!)because I am partial to Food Lion Instant Coffee. I bring some in a ziplock, heat water over my alcohol stove in a 16-oz. cup, put several spoonfuls of the good stuff in, and enjoy. To me, it's one of the best parts of a backpacking trip!

"ME & U"
05-14-2005, 15:43
I like carrying ground coffee on the trail, but have also experimented with Vivarin. The pills are ultralight, there's no mess or preparation, and it's a good pick-me-up when the energy starts to flag. But there's something about the smell of ground coffee...

My next trip (on the CDT in Montana), I'll carry several tea bags, a few tablespoons of good quality ground coffee, a few filters, and several Vivarin. That way, I can occasionally get the sensory pleasure of real coffee, but also have the convenience of a quick jolt from a pill.

I'm a coffee addict too, but what's the deal with the Vivarin. Just say no. Couldn't you have a heart attack or something?:eek:

Nightwalker
05-14-2005, 21:41
I use a fine-mesh, reuseable filter. It takes me a very short time to make a cup. I grind the beans more coarse than usuallly used in the drip machine at home.

It's quick, it's easy, it keeps me from having as many headaches.

If you're in a screaming big hurry, you might not really be enjoying yourself.

Then again, I've got a migraine right now, and am probably being a bit combative.