PDA

View Full Version : Any must sees that are off of the main AT through the Damascus to Atkins area?

JoshAuerbach
10-05-2012, 12:03
Any must sees that are off of the main AT through the Damascus to Atkins area? Trying to plan a trip and attempting to get a more accurate mileage per day estimate as I'm sure we will want to check things out off of the main trail at times.

Tipi Walter
10-05-2012, 12:10
Any must sees that are off of the main AT through the Damascus to Atkins area? Trying to plan a trip and attempting to get a more accurate mileage per day estimate as I'm sure we will want to check things out off of the main trail at times.

Once you get to Thomas Knob shelter the fun begins. Even before on the Mt Rogers trail down to Grindstone. Get a good map of the Mt Rogers Crest Zone/Grayson Highlands and explore all the side trails including Pine Mt, Lewis Fork wilderness and Little Wilson Creek wilderness. Then loop back to the AT for more fun. I like Stone Mt alot but the AT passes right over it so it's good.

Alleghanian Orogeny
10-05-2012, 12:24
A graded gravel road, FS 89, takes cars to the top of Whitetop Mountain. The views from the top are terrific.

AO

Alleghanian Orogeny
10-05-2012, 12:26
.........the AT crosses the road, FS 89, right where the road breaks out into the open "bald" close to the summit.

AO

Tipi Walter
10-05-2012, 12:26
A graded gravel road, FS 89, takes cars to the top of Whitetop Mountain. The views from the top are terrific.

AO

The road is why I seriously avoid the top of Whitetop Mt.

Alleghanian Orogeny
10-05-2012, 22:07
The road is why I seriously avoid the top of Whitetop Mt.

When I was there August 25, a group of Harley riders was there, half a dozen unrelated groups in cars, and another half-dozen cars with a group of elderly men and women from a family from Marion which had held family reunion picnics atop Whitetop for 60 years. It's not the same experience as hiking or backpacking, but it's no less valuable to those old folks. Besides, with only a little bit of effort, any interested party can walk down to Lover's Leap, Buzzard Rocks, or most anywhere away from the road and snag a piece of relative solitude. It's all good, eh?

AO