PDA

View Full Version : OMG! Finally a sports bra!

avalonmorn
10-05-2012, 15:16
I've been searching for a wicking sports bra for a long time. I've been wearing those old thick cotton ones, Champion, Adidas, and Nike that I found on sale or Ebay. It's hot in Oklahoma, and when I'm outside, my old bras are soaked with sweat, and highly uncomfortable(you all know what I'm talking about). I can't pay $30 to $50 for a good one.
I was in Walmart and they have a new shipment of Danskin sports bras in the best colors. 78% nylon,17% poly, 5% spandex, tag says wicking, so I bought one in my regular size.(lime green and grey). I've worn it for a week, mowed my huge lot, jogged, and it's the most comfortable bra for sports that I have worn. They are hanging with some other Danskin bras that are not wicking, so read the tags. The fabric is unbelievable, and they ribbed it in high stretch areas. My reg size was perfect, and for the first time, I did not have a bra that if worn all day, did not squeeze my ribs. I am going back and buying 3 more, $9.94. I hate purple, but their purple is dynamic, gotta have one. I wear an XL, normal bra is 38/40 b or c, not because of the girls, but I have a wide back, and am somewhat overweight, size 18. Don't know how these bras will fit you all, but buy one and try it. This is my first review, felt like I needed to share. Am planning my thru with the over 50 ladies, April, 2013.

Blissful
10-05-2012, 17:01
Sometimes you don't have to pay much for good stuff.

shelb
10-05-2012, 17:28
These are great for hiking, but if you plan on doing anything that will make the ladies flop a lot (think jogging or aerobics), the Danskin doesn't give much support (for me anyway). However, I loved mine when I backpacked this past summer in PA.

RJ Lewis
11-02-2012, 01:55
I picked up several of those same bras and like you are a bit overweight atm due to downtime after a major car accident involving a rollover and surgery to put my shoulder back together. (literally) They don't make me feel like I want to run screaming as I pull them off at the end of the day like most bras- and yes I wear about the same size bra as you do. They do wick pretty nicely, as I have seen and are much cooler during hot summer days than the average bra is. My idea is this- if it doesn't work, I can always let em swing free in the breeze!! LMAO!!! giggle.... ;-)

avalonmorn
11-02-2012, 13:28
I picked up several of those same bras and like you are a bit overweight atm due to downtime after a major car accident involving a rollover and surgery to put my shoulder back together. (literally) They don't make me feel like I want to run screaming as I pull them off at the end of the day like most bras- and yes I wear about the same size bra as you do. They do wick pretty nicely, as I have seen and are much cooler during hot summer days than the average bra is. My idea is this- if it doesn't work, I can always let em swing free in the breeze!! LMAO!!! giggle.... ;-)
Well :eek:, I didn't want to mention the swinging in breeze cause I'm over 50.....
I have to drive for a walmart to a neighboring town. Yesterday I was in Chickasha, and could not find any of the bras, and they are a superstore, hmmmmm. My normal walmart is in Duncan, so I will go tomorow, hope they still have the purple:o

S'more
11-02-2012, 18:49
Need to check out wally world I guess. I have a couple of underarmour that are OK. (bought CHEAP: ebay/TJMAXX) but there is NO WAY I would pay that regular price; they are not that great. Swinging in the breeze, with big girls, over 50 is not the greatest idea. Add me to that over 50 club.

shelb
11-02-2012, 20:08
Our Wally World has restocked them for winter in the exercise clothing section...

Mitey Mo
11-04-2012, 12:27
I might add that those Danskin exercise T-shirts and Long Sleeve shirts are GREAT for hiking! And only $5 and $8 a piece. Totally polyester, silky, warm/cool and pretty colors!!

avalonmorn
11-04-2012, 12:49
I might add that those Danskin exercise T-shirts and Long Sleeve shirts are GREAT for hiking! And only $5 and $8 a piece. Totally polyester, silky, warm/cool and pretty colors!!
You are soooo right! I did find one more wicking bra yesterday in the Duncan Oklahoma store, they sold out of most, but had a new display of the $5.00 tees, I also scored a jacket in hot pink and the new grey color, and a pair of Danskin pants, both $11.96 each. I know the $5 tee works, because I was wearing it last night and got hot under the collar when KC State whupped our OSU Cowboys.:mad:

Trillium
11-04-2012, 23:51
You are soooo right! I did find one more wicking bra yesterday in the Duncan Oklahoma store, they sold out of most, but had a new display of the $5.00 tees, I also scored a jacket in hot pink and the new grey color, and a pair of Danskin pants, both $11.96 each. I know the $5 tee works, because I was wearing it last night and got hot under the collar when KC State whupped our OSU Cowboys.:mad:I feel for you. Those cornhuskers pulled it out yesterday with 6 seconds left and help from the zebras against my beloved Spartans. Go GREEN!

Brass Tack
11-13-2012, 00:06
good to hear from someone who has tried these. I saw these today and was tempted but wasn't sure about the quality. I'll give them a try!

CARY HART
12-07-2012, 23:48
Are the Danskin bras you speak of just slip over your head bras, or clip in the front bras?

avalonmorn
12-08-2012, 01:18
Cary, they are slip over head kind, and the ones I bought have ribbing in the areas that need stretch, then it pops back in place, also I needed the t-back ones to wear under my tanks when it's 112 degrees in Oklahoma. You may have to search and read the tags, not all of them are moisture wicking, however, all of them are comfortable. I have been living in the danskin pants since I am trying to recover from sciatica. They are softer and more comfortable than sweats. Anna

Dogwood
12-08-2012, 03:53
Not trying to step on any toes here or but into female topics. You are a riot Avalonmorn and maybe it's a bit off topic for me since I'm a guy. But, it's nice to see you found what you were looking for at a good price. I really appreciate your enthusiasm and excitement. Not intending to be demeaning or condescending in anyway, I like this, "OMG! Finally a sports bra!", "fabric is unbelievable, and they ribbed it in high stretch areas", "their purple is dynamic"(I may never look at purple in the same way every again!), Well :eek:, "You are soooo right!"

You might get an invitation to my next party for your wondreful attitude! LOL. Hold on to that attitude because it's an asset that might prove to be useful on a thru-hike! Wish you the best on next yrs thru-hike.

shelb
12-08-2012, 15:44
Are the Danskin bras you speak of just slip over your head bras, or clip in the front bras?

If you are looking for the front clip closure kind, my friend bought one of those (not sure what brand) at a Dicks Sporting Goods. However, she paid around $50 for it.

Six Steps
12-23-2012, 23:46
Thank you so much for posting this. I am having a terrible time finding a bra I like so I will definitely look for these, although the XL might not be large enough :( but I am working on that problem, too. Why did I let myself get this out of shape! :mad:

avalonmorn
12-24-2012, 02:17
Thank you so much for posting this. I am having a terrible time finding a bra I like so I will definitely look for these, although the XL might not be large enough :( but I am working on that problem, too. Why did I let myself get this out of shape! :mad:

Six Steps, we didn't "let" this happen, one day I looked in the mirror and wondered who that chubby broad was. Sneaks up on us.

Christine_Runs
12-25-2012, 19:23
Hi Ladies,

I have found moving comfort bras to be awesome. They are expensive but they go on sale often. Here is one example but I have found them on sale at US sites too. http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/ClearanceItems/WomensClothing/PRD~5026-989/moving-comfort-alexis-bra-womens.jsp

C

Chillfactor
01-13-2013, 19:09
I've not found a wicking sports bra that keeps moisture off my chest. At the end of the day my bra is soaked and comes off quickly so I don't get cold. I've worn UA, Adidas, Converse, and New Balance over the years and my newest UA is best for me. It just has thin straps that don't come up the center of my back. It isn't too thick; I find the bulkier ones just absorb more sweat.

You will lose breast size on the trail and don't get a bra that is on the loose side.
Make sure if the straps are adjustable that the metal part isn't going to be on the top of your shoulders. The backpack weight will push them into you and it's hurts. Target has decent sports bras and I was lucky to get my UA at an outlet mall. 2 are more than enough.

Six Steps
01-13-2013, 23:14
Chillfactor, thanks for the advice. To be honest, I have little to no idea how to select the right bra for being active. I would never have thought about the location of the metal parts. I know I need to find something that wicks because I _sweat_. No lady-like glow for me.

Bedelia
01-18-2013, 12:51
I never even thought to look in Walmart for wicking clothes! I have one right down the street from my house and I never thought to go there to look for hiking clothes. Duh! I'll have to start checking out the clothing sections on my weekly visits. Thanks for the tips!

Wild Violet
01-18-2013, 15:47
I didn't have good luck w/ the bra selection at my local Wal-marts. Hoping that they selection will change/improve soon. Tried on the 4 types they had and none worked for me and I ended up pulling an arm muscle getting the dang thing on:eek:.