PDA

View Full Version : My Trail Novel is Out

tjforrester
10-05-2012, 17:43
Hi, Whiteblazers,

I'm on a long distance hiking/cycling trip, finally made it to a library, and wanted to tell my favorite people (I love hikers!) that Simon & Schuster published my second novel on October 2. It's titled Black Heart on the Appalachian Trail and it's been well-received by the pre-publication industry critics. It's also received some cool blurbs from Daniel Woodrell and A. M. Homes. Full reviews may be found here (http://tjforrester.com/books/black-heart-on-the-appalachian-trail/reviews/).

I wish I was on a hiking trip only, but my knees, oy, they hurt so bad going downhill these days.

Congrats to this year's crop of AT thru and section hikers!

Best,

T. J. Forrester

Black Heart on the Appalachian Trail

“This is vicious backwoods noir in the tradition of Daniel Woodrell and Cormac McCarthy, and experienced hiker Forrester (Miracles, Inc., 2010) is damned good at his job. . . . for fans of snakebite prose, this is your book.”– Kirkus Reviews

“A raw, evocative story . . . His creative use of flashbacks and literary flourishes elevate this dark novel to deliver a wallop in both prose and premise.” — Publishers Weekly

"This slim but potent novel is carried along by a creeping dread, but is Forrester's memorable characters and vivid descriptions of the trail (drawn from first hand experience) that linger the most." – Library Journal

“. . . a convincing, potent and beautifully rendered novel of adventure and mayhem.” –Daniel Woodrell, author of The Bayou Trilogy and The Outlaw Album

“At times this book makes Cormac McCarthy’s The Road look like hallucinogenic cotton candy. I couldn’t put it down.” — A.M. Homes, author of forthcoming novel, May We Be Forgiven

About Black Heart on the Appalachian Trail

In the vast wilderness of the Appalachian Trail, three hikers are searching for answers. Taz Chavis, just released from prison, sees the 2,160 mile trek as his path to salvation, and a way to distance himself from a toxic relationship. Simone Decker, a young scientist with a dark secret, is desperate to quell her demons. Richard Nelson, a Blackfoot Indian, seeks one last adventure before he surrenders to the family business back home. As they battle hunger and thirst, loneliness, and the dangerous elements, their paths begin to intersect and surviving the thru-hike may be the least of their worries. Hikers are dying along the trail, their broken bodies splayed on rocks below. Are these falls accidental, the result of carelessness on the rugged terrain, or is something more sinister at work?

A multi-layered tale of suspense that brilliantly reveals a kaleidoscope of human foibles, Black Heart on the Appalachian Trail is a singular work of storytelling that confirms T. J. Forrester’s status as a first-rate literary talent.

canoe
10-05-2012, 18:10
congratulations

tjforrester
10-05-2012, 18:18
congratulations

Thank you, Canoe. The publication was a long time coming. I signed the contract over three years ago.

Marta
10-05-2012, 21:35
Just got the Kindle version. Thanks for letting us know about it. And congratulations!

Northern Lights
10-05-2012, 21:45
Just loaded it on to my Kindle, looking forward to reading it.

HikerMom58
10-05-2012, 23:14
You've had some good reviews from a few people, about your book, on here.... I'm looking forward to reading it... Congrats!!

WingedMonkey
10-06-2012, 08:03
What happened to your 2011 hike?

tjforrester
10-06-2012, 08:31
What happened to your 2011 hike?

I got a nasty hole in the ball of my foot, got off the trail and took antibiotics, still couldn't do more than hobble a month later. I blogged about it, said it was from an infected blister, but I now have my doubts because I get pain in the same area if I walk too far. I hung up the shoes at 1500 miles, the first time that injury has not allowed me to complete a hike.

tjforrester
10-06-2012, 08:32
Thanks, Marta!

tjforrester
10-06-2012, 08:32
Very cool, Northern Lights.

tjforrester
10-06-2012, 08:35
You've had some good reviews from a few people, about your book, on here.... I'm looking forward to reading it... Congrats!!

Thanks, HikerMomKD. With a trail name like that I bet you'd be fun to hike with--lots of good stuff to eat. Come on, fess up. You spend hours dehydrating groovy recipes. (grin)

HikerMom58
10-07-2012, 10:19
Thanks, HikerMomKD. With a trail name like that I bet you'd be fun to hike with--lots of good stuff to eat. Come on, fess up. You spend hours dehydrating groovy recipes. (grin)

Haha!! Actually, my hubby is the "dehydrating king"... he is awesome!! He can't hike (bad knee), that much. :( He is our shuttle person AND cook -he comes up with some yummy recipes. :)

Hope you have great success with ur book!!