PDA

View Full Version : Art Loeb Trail shuttle??

Drybones
10-05-2012, 20:50
Myself and two others are planning to do the Art Loeb Trail 10/19, hate to drive two vehicles from Birmingham and Gadsden with only three people, can anyone recommend a shuttle for the hike so we can drive over in one vehicle? Thanks.

Papa D
10-05-2012, 21:42
Try Joe Moerschbaecher at Pura-Vida Adventures in Brevard, NC. - tell him I told you to call: (772) 579-0005.

FYI, I'm doing the Art Loeb in a day this coming Thrusday - I'm aiming for about 9 hours - I think Joe personally might hold the record at about 7 hours for the 34 mile jaunt.

Pura - Vida is basically a multi faceted guide service (rock climbing, rafting, trail running, camping, kids groups, etc. that also puts on trail races, etc. (not exactly a shuttle service per se) but I'm sure he'll make you a price for just a shuttle that would have to be more economical than driving two cars from Alabama. There are also a lot of good car camping sites around the A.L.T. but I would suggest just getting a pay-site at Davidson River Campground which is roughly the south terminus of the trail - - it should be a really nice place to finish and camp.

pvadventures.com/

Call of P/M me if I can help more.

tucker0104
10-06-2012, 03:34
It is a great hike. I prefer south to north.

Drybones
10-06-2012, 08:06
Try Joe Moerschbaecher at Pura-Vida Adventures in Brevard, NC. - tell him I told you to call: (772) 579-0005.

FYI, I'm doing the Art Loeb in a day this coming Thrusday - I'm aiming for about 9 hours - I think Joe personally might hold the record at about 7 hours for the 34 mile jaunt.

Pura - Vida is basically a multi faceted guide service (rock climbing, rafting, trail running, camping, kids groups, etc. that also puts on trail races, etc. (not exactly a shuttle service per se) but I'm sure he'll make you a price for just a shuttle that would have to be more economical than driving two cars from Alabama. There are also a lot of good car camping sites around the A.L.T. but I would suggest just getting a pay-site at Davidson River Campground which is roughly the south terminus of the trail - - it should be a really nice place to finish and camp.

pvadventures.com/

Call of P/M me if I can help more.

Papa D...thanks for the info and good luck with the speed hike.

Violent Green
10-06-2012, 13:11
This place can also shuttle for you. When I checked a few weeks ago they were a little cheaper than Pura-Vida. Shoot them an email.

My wife and I did the Art Loeb last weekend and had a great time. We hiked about 11 miles on day one, and 20 on day two. The trail lives up to it's strenuous rating! We started at the Boy Scout Camp and walked to the Davidson River campground. I would recommend that direction as it's less difficult. Water was a little more scarce than I'm used to, but not bad. Have a great hike.

http://www.ashevilleairportshuttle.com/

Ryan

Drybones
10-06-2012, 20:10
Thanks a bunch to all for the info...much appreciated!

Papa D
10-08-2012, 20:35
It is a great hike. I prefer south to north.

I agree that South to North, the trail reveals itself more spectacularly - - sort of in the same way the AT or the LT does - saving the best parts (Tenant Mountain, Flower Gap, Shining Rock, etc. for the end) - - this said, the only time I've done the whole trail as one hike has been doing it in one day - - doing in Northbound is about 2 hours harder than going southbound since the hike from Gloucester Gap up to the top of Pilot Rock is about as hard and sustained an uphill as any hiking in NC (Joyce Kilmer excepted). For this reason, I suggest going SB to people that are interested in doing the trip in one day (or an efficient 2-day hike). Lots of folks have fun doing in in 3 or 4 days (totally cool) - in this style, I can see the NB option as being pretty nice.