PDA

View Full Version : Cook system advice

LazySquatch
10-05-2012, 22:28
First time poster here! I was looking at cook systems and have been tinkering for months of the best for me. I am still looking for other's experiences and what works for them. How about if anyone has a Snowpeak 600 mug. I have two smaller (8 oz I believe) starbucks cans. I was thinking of making a side burner little alchy that way. I do have a fosters beer can set up which is wicked light of course but too bulky. Thus, my searching for ideas. Thanks a ton.

-Goose

daddytwosticks
10-06-2012, 15:09
For shorter hikes when I try to keep things simple, I roll with a SP-600 mug, an Esbit three wing ti-stove, and foil as a windscreen. Easy to use setup. The SP-600 mug fits over the end of a 1 liter (quart) Poweraide bottle and takes up little room. :)

Tuxedo
10-06-2012, 15:39
Goose Ive done many and all ways on the AT and also gone no stove and done raw and pre-packed food. My only advise is dont use a old whisperlite. I do like the home made can stove for the AT due to its size and weight with ease of fuel re-supply. My fav is a superfly and 8oz can of fuel. It's a bit heavy compared to the made can but I like to simmer some meals and the Superfly burner meets the demands to my cooking needs.

Rasty
10-06-2012, 16:01
Trail designs Caldera ULC. Very efficient alchy stove plus Esbit and wood if you run out.

RodentWhisperer
10-07-2012, 20:30
First things first-- welcome to WhiteBlaze.

Next things next-- my $0.02. Whenever I'm out solo, I use my SP 600 with a Four Dog titanium lid. What makes me an oddity in this thread is that I use a canister stove (a SP GigaPower, specifically). Friends have told me the mug/pot seems too small, but for my cooking system it works perfectly; on most all of my hikes, I rely upon freezer bag cooking-- so while my food is steeping in the cozy, I can us the SP 600 to get a mug of coffee or tea in the works.

Don H
10-08-2012, 05:03
Rodent, why does that make you an oddity? Lots of people use a similar system. Here's my Snowpeake on a MSR Pocket Rocket.

earlyriser26
10-08-2012, 05:14
Rodent, why does that make you an oddity? Lots of people use a similar system. Here's my Snowpeake on a MSR Pocket Rocket.
Second this system. simple, reliable, weights little. I've tried esbit and alch. stoves and found them not worth the little savings in weight.

daddytwosticks
10-08-2012, 07:10
First things first-- welcome to WhiteBlaze.

Next things next-- my $0.02. Whenever I'm out solo, I use my SP 600 with a Four Dog titanium lid. What makes me an oddity in this thread is that I use a canister stove (a SP GigaPower, specifically). Friends have told me the mug/pot seems too small, but for my cooking system it works perfectly; on most all of my hikes, I rely upon freezer bag cooking-- so while my food is steeping in the cozy, I can us the SP 600 to get a mug of coffee or tea in the works.
Not an oddity at all. I tried using my SP Giga canister with my SP-600. Not very efficient even throttled way down. The mug/pot is too narrow even for the throttled down flame patter IMHO. My canister stove works great with my larger titanium pot. :)

q-tip
10-08-2012, 08:08
This works pretty well for me;

Cook System:

· Soto Stove + Windscreen

· Stuff Sack (Stove)-

· Fuel (4 oz)-

· Oil Camp XLS Cook Pot-

( .5 liter 2:00 min boil time!!!!)

· Spoon- (2)

· Stuff Sack (Food)-

· Bear Rope-

· Towel-

· Pot Stabilizer

Total:

q-tip
10-08-2012, 08:12
Sorry--forgot the pics..

jimmyjam
10-08-2012, 08:30
I use the MSR titan kettle with a cat can stove, aluminum ground shield and aluminum wind shield. I have one of those single serving campbell's styro soup cups and lid for a bowl/coffee cup. All that with a bic lighter, soap, and piece of towel nests inside of the titan kettle. Everything fits except my alcohol fuel bottle and spoon. I put it all in one of those mesh bags that onions come in. I forget the weight, but it's pretty light and takes up little real estate in my pack.

Drybones
10-08-2012, 09:18
17718 17719
Left photo shows everything assembled. Right photo shows what's inside. Left to right...wind screen, fuel, huggie, lighter, 24 oz pot, large stove, rubber bands, 12 oz cup/pot, small stove, lid, pot holder, velcro tie.

colorado_rob
10-08-2012, 09:20
I'm an "oddity" as well, using a canister system. I use both the pocket rocket with an MSR Ti pot (7.4 oz total) or the JetBoil Sol Ti (8.9 oz total), depending on the length of the trip and if my wife is along or not. The JetBoil system is significantly more efficient fuel-wise, and if the trip would use up a complete canister, the JetBoil is the overall most efficient weight-wise. for shorter trips, the Pocket Rocket is better. So, for the AT I'll probably bring the lighter Pocket Rocket system, but the jury is still out.

As has been said above, I find an Alcohol system to be both too slow and very inefficient w/ Fuel. Fine for a few days, anything longer than that and the canister system is more weight efficient. I have not tried Esbit, but I'm pretty sure the chemistry and efficiency is about the same as Alcohol.

We just returned from doing the JMT and our JetBoil performed remarkably... one 4 oz canister (7.5 oz total) consistently lasted 4 full days for two of us with liberal boils every day (four 0.9 liter boils a day, two in the morning, two in the evening). Basically sixteen+ 3.5 cup boils for 7.5 total ounces (incl canister).

Our companion uses alcohol, uses 0.75 ounces each two-cup boil, equivalent to at least an ounce for 3.5 cups, plus his 1 oz container meaning his equivalent fuel use would be 17 ounces vs. our 7.5 oz. His stove (1 oz) and pot (4 oz) is indeed lighter, but bottom line his cook system for 4 days for two would be 22 oz (probably a tad more) vs. our 16.5 oz.

To save ounces, I see no need for a stove stuff sack, or pot stabilizer.

colorado_rob
10-08-2012, 10:00
One other item I'll add: My At hike will probably consist of 7-8 day stretches. I have no interest in 4 day segments then town/resupply. who knows what I'll actually do, but at least my plan is 7-8 day stretches. to accommodate this, I need fuel for 7-8 days, hence why I like the canister option. If I was doing 4 day stretches (seemingly pretty typical for the AT), I'd probably bite the bullet and live with long boil times and go w/ Alcohol.

Starchild
10-15-2012, 11:40
+1 to colorado_rob (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?42947-colorado_rob)

I found alcohol somewhat inconsistant/wind effected, time consuming, and somewhat hazardous if one would need to cook in their tent vestibule due to weather. Also I have found my alcohol setup has not saved me any weight over the Jetboil Sol Ti IF I can get the small jetboil 100g canisters and alcohol cost me time that can be better spent on the trail.

It appears with 1.5 l/day of boiled water the small Jetboil canister should last 7-8 days with starting weight just under a lb (15.7oz). Moving up to the more common canister and the starting weight is just about 21 oz with 7.75 oz of that in fuel and I would expect to last 15-20 days though I haven't tried it with the standard canisters to verify how long those would last. I would expect the larger size would be far more common along the trail then the smaller Jetboil 100g canisters so I should be able to shave some weight by going with alcohol but to me it's just not worth it as cooking is a chore and I want that easy and fast, eating hot food/drink when you want it can be a great moral booster so I want that to be available.

cabbagehead
10-16-2012, 23:51
This works pretty well for me;

Cook System:

· Soto Stove + Windscreen

· Stuff Sack (Stove)-

· Fuel (4 oz)-

· Oil Camp XLS Cook Pot-

( .5 liter 2:00 min boil time!!!!)

· Spoon- (2)

· Stuff Sack (Food)-

· Bear Rope-

· Towel-

· Pot Stabilizer

Total:

This doesn't make sense to me. There is a right column with numbers and no units. Also, no one would ever need a towel or second spoon.

I think LazySquatch (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?43798-LazySquatch) was looking for a stove design to make. The weight savings of an alcohol stove are huge, and you can find fuel at most gas stations, pharmacies, hardware stores, outfitters, and supermarkets. Also I sell great stoves (bottlestoves.com).

Starchild
10-17-2012, 08:47
This doesn't make sense to me. There is a right column with numbers and no units. The units are obviously ounces

I think LazySquatch (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?43798-LazySquatch) was looking for a stove design to make. The weight savings of an alcohol stove are huge,I've yet to see it. I tried a alcohol stove and when all was said and done the weight was the same as the Jetboil at 15.7 oz with fuel for 3 days (Alcohol) / 7 days (Jetboil). Even running the numbers above and removing all items except for the stove/windscreen, pot and fuel the alcohol setup is already heavier.
I'm not saying that you can't have a huge weight savings just I have not seen nor have been able to achieve it with alcohol.

Deacon
10-17-2012, 11:03
The units are obviously ounces

I've yet to see it. I tried a alcohol stove and when all was said and done the weight was the same as the Jetboil at 15.7 oz with fuel for 3 days (Alcohol) / 7 days (Jetboil). Even running the numbers above and removing all items except for the stove/windscreen, pot and fuel the alcohol setup is already heavier.
I'm not saying that you can't have a huge weight savings just I have not seen nor have been able to achieve it with alcohol.

My Fosters can Caldera Cone stove/windscreen/pot with 7 oz. of alcohol weighs 9.25 oz. considerably less than a Jetboil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starchild
10-17-2012, 11:20
My Fosters can Caldera Cone stove/windscreen/pot with 7 oz. of alcohol weighs 9.25 oz. considerably less than a Jetboil.

Seeing such a cone in action on a recent backpack was impressive and the boiling efficiency was very good but I didn't get the weight, but may consider making one now with this info. I do see that your setup comes in very light at the end of the hike (nearing resupply)

But to be fair is there anything else you pack with it such as a lighter, or pot holder of some sort either cloth or a grabber, or any protection for the stove in the pack - does it need protection? Also how long could you go with 7 oz and how much use do you use the stove per day? I realize that some things may be multiuse so hard to place in 'stove weight' but I would like to know what is actually needed to run the stove.

Thanks

88BlueGT
10-17-2012, 11:49
MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE:

Pepsi Can Stove w/ primer
Wire Pot Stand (works great)
GSI Aluminum Cookset - It's not the lightest, but its very durable and the lid doubles as a pan.

Pics attached

ATMountainTime
10-17-2012, 12:25
Welcome to WB!!! This site is addictive and has cost me a small fortune in gear :)

I unkowingly went with a Jet Boil, I can say it boils water in NO time. It also boils water too quickly, it will over flow as soon as I turn my head. The lid barely fits and it makes a HELLA mess. Im probably going with something else for my thru.

88BlueGT
10-17-2012, 13:39
Overflowing ?!? How much water are you boiling?

I've never had the need to boil more than two cups of water. In my GSI pot, this takes up about 1/4.

88BlueGT
10-17-2012, 13:50
Also, a good measuring trick that someone here on whiteblaze taught me...

Use the plastic tube from a pen to measure your water. One side, mark one cup and on the other side of the tube, mark two cups. You can make this with a pen or marker, however I prefer to mark it with a piece of black electrical tape... much easier to see.

daddytwosticks
10-17-2012, 15:48
Also, a good measuring trick that someone here on whiteblaze taught me...

Use the plastic tube from a pen to measure your water. One side, mark one cup and on the other side of the tube, mark two cups. You can make this with a pen or marker, however I prefer to mark it with a piece of black electrical tape... much easier to see. Or use this method with your spoon but mark it with a Sharpie. Just like a dipstick. :)

Karma13
10-17-2012, 16:04
Or use this method with your spoon but mark it with a Sharpie. Just like a dipstick. :)

That's brilliant! Thanks for that tip, daddytwosticks.

Deacon
10-17-2012, 18:19
Seeing such a cone in action on a recent backpack was impressive and the boiling efficiency was very good but I didn't get the weight, but may consider making one now with this info. I do see that your setup comes in very light at the end of the hike (nearing resupply)

But to be fair is there anything else you pack with it such as a lighter, or pot holder of some sort either cloth or a grabber, or any protection for the stove in the pack - does it need protection? Also how long could you go with 7 oz and how much use do you use the stove per day? I realize that some things may be multiuse so hard to place in 'stove weight' but I would like to know what is actually needed to run the stove.

Thanks

Included with the set is a piece of reflectix that just fits over the Fosters can so you can grab it while its hot.

I would never carry 7 oz. of fuel, only 5 oz. as 5 days is my max before resupplying. I only heat water for supper, so that's 1 oz per day.

As far as protection the setup come with a plastic case that screws together in the middle. The two halves serves as a cup and/or bowl. Now to be fair, I didn't include the case in the weight. But then again I don't need to carry a cup, do its about a wash.

Be aware that the Fosters can is only good for heating water. It's not practical to cook food in.

Starchild
10-17-2012, 21:43
Included with the set is a piece of reflectix that just fits over the Fosters can so you can grab it while its hot.

I would never carry 7 oz. of fuel, only 5 oz. as 5 days is my max before resupplying. I only heat water for supper, so that's 1 oz per day.

As far as protection the setup come with a plastic case that screws together in the middle. The two halves serves as a cup and/or bowl. Now to be fair, I didn't include the case in the weight. But then again I don't need to carry a cup, do its about a wash.

Be aware that the Fosters can is only good for heating water. It's not practical to cook food in.

Thanks for that the jetboil is also a bit limited in what you can cook, though a bit more versatile then the Foster's can. Do you have the weight of the case? With the jetboil I would not bring a bowl - I use the jetboil pot as my bowl, though I do bring a 2 oz Ti mug which also can serve as a smaller bowl in itself.

Also your use of the stove seems to be different then how I like to use a stove. I am planning 1.5 l/day, which is 2 hot meals/drinks per day about 2x your usage. Your 5 oz would last me about 2.5 days if I understand the usage correctly and would need 6-7 oz for a 3 day resupply.

It's all these little needed hidden extras that really seem to add up whenever I try or consider alcohol.

Drybones
10-17-2012, 23:17
Or use this method with your spoon but mark it with a Sharpie. Just like a dipstick. :)

I just put a dent with a punch or nail (careful, not too hard) in my pot at the 1 cup and 2 cup levels, you can estimate the in betweens.

daddytwosticks
10-18-2012, 07:12
That's brilliant! Thanks for that tip, daddytwosticks. Not my original idea, but you are very welcome. :)

88BlueGT
10-18-2012, 11:16
Fuel consumption really depends on how efficient your stove is AND how many times you are cooking. My pepsi can stove can boil 2 cups of water on 1 oz (including some fuel on the primer). HOWEVER, if I'm boiling water for coffee in the AM and using fuel for lunch or dinner, there's a minimum of 2oz.

2oz x 5 days = 10 oz. (for me)

snifur
10-18-2012, 11:49
on my thru i used the JetBoil with zero issues. i cooked in it. who ever thinks it is only good for boiling water clearly has never really used it. it cooks just fine and works everytime. its relatively light and very efficient. i cooked everything in that little pot. i have used many cook systems both light weight and heavy and i am hard on them. the jetboil is a great sturdy contained system that sets up faster than most systems out there and will have warm food in your tummy before others even open their food bags. the problem with too many of these cook systems these days is there is too much assembly or setup required before you can start cooking. with the jetboil all you do is screw the canister and light it. that is it. fast, easy, sturdy and efficient.

Deacon
10-19-2012, 04:46
Thanks for that the jetboil is also a bit limited in what you can cook, though a bit more versatile then the Foster's can. Do you have the weight of the case? With the jetboil I would not bring a bowl - I use the jetboil pot as my bowl, though I do bring a 2 oz Ti mug which also can serve as a smaller bowl in itself.

Also your use of the stove seems to be different then how I like to use a stove. I am planning 1.5 l/day, which is 2 hot meals/drinks per day about 2x your usage. Your 5 oz would last me about 2.5 days if I understand the usage correctly and would need 6-7 oz for a 3 day resupply.

It's all these little needed hidden extras that really seem to add up whenever I try or consider alcohol.

The case is 2.5 oz. it screws together and makes a tumbler for shaking powdered drinks. 1782417825

Deacon
10-19-2012, 04:47
on my thru i used the JetBoil with zero issues. i cooked in it. who ever thinks it is only good for boiling water clearly has never really used it. it cooks just fine and works everytime. its relatively light and very efficient. i cooked everything in that little pot. i have used many cook systems both light weight and heavy and i am hard on them. the jetboil is a great sturdy contained system that sets up faster than most systems out there and will have warm food in your tummy before others even open their food bags. the problem with too many of these cook systems these days is there is too much assembly or setup required before you can start cooking. with the jetboil all you do is screw the canister and light it. that is it. fast, easy, sturdy and efficient.

How much does the Jetboil weigh with a full canister?

colorado_rob
10-19-2012, 08:21
How much does the Jetboil weigh with a full canister?
15.7 ounces for the Sol Ti model, as said below, including one small canister which lasts for about 20 2-cup boils, one week of use for me (~three boils a day).

Starchild
10-19-2012, 08:45
The case is 2.5 oz. it screws together and makes a tumbler for shaking powdered drinks.
As I would pack it using your numbers the stove is 2.25oz the case is 2.5 oz and I'm throwing in 3/4 of a oz for a lighter that I would bring with this setup that I wouldn't with the jetboil (spark ignition start).
5.25oz + fuel (& fuel container weight.)

I've got to say that for the 3 day standard I use, even with my 2 hots/day, that alcohol would come in lighter. Perhaps somewhat optimized I would be going in with alcohol at 12.75oz compared to the 17.7 oz (15.7oz jetboil + to be fair 2 oz mug). So a 5 oz advantage to the Caldara stove, nice.

melaniebk
10-19-2012, 10:10
Goose Ive done many and all ways on the AT and also gone no stove and done raw and pre-packed food. My only advise is dont use a old whisperlite. I do like the home made can stove for the AT due to its size and weight with ease of fuel re-supply. My fav is a superfly and 8oz can of fuel. It's a bit heavy compared to the made can but I like to simmer some meals and the Superfly burner meets the demands to my cooking needs.

You said don't use an old whisperlite? What about the new ones? That's one of the systems I was considering. I haven't made a final choice. I like to get enough info to completely overwhelm my mental faculties and then go back to one of my first choices when I didn't know anything, lol.:rolleyes:

Rasty
10-19-2012, 17:57

You said don't use an old whisperlite? What about the new ones? That's one of the systems I was considering. I haven't made a final choice. I like to get enough info to completely overwhelm my mental faculties and then go back to one of my first choices when I didn't know anything, lol.:rolleyes:

I have a almost 20 year old whisperlite. Great stove when clean. They are fussy and have a learning curve to them. I use a alchy stove for one or two people and break out the whisperlite for when the family goes.

melaniebk
10-20-2012, 18:31
Thanks, Rasty! I'm going to go to my outfitter and try out some stoves. It could be that an alchy stove will suit our purposes best for this thru hike, in which case I could put off the decision and investment in a more involved cook system for another time.

Rasty
10-20-2012, 21:49
Thanks, Rasty! I'm going to go to my outfitter and try out some stoves. It could be that an alchy stove will suit our purposes best for this thru hike, in which case I could put off the decision and investment in a more involved cook system for another time.

No problem. The thing about the Whisperlite is that it weighs a minimum of about 18 ounces (14 for the stove and 4 for the 11oz bottle) add fuel and it becomes 29 ounces without cookware. My alchy set up with 12 ounces of fuel weighs about 19 ounces including the pot and cup.