PDA

View Full Version : Murderer On the Loose on/near the AT in New York

evansprater
10-06-2012, 14:08
Not sure if I'll even make it this far, but this is kind of scary. Thoughts? http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/04/nyregion/eugene-palmer-wanted-for-murder-could-survive-in-harriman-state-park.html?_r=0

Moose2001
10-06-2012, 14:29
If you're that scared, stay home. People in Florida would scare me a LOT more than anything on the AT.

hikerboy57
10-06-2012, 14:44
just keep an eye out for the cops. i think it very unlikely he would harm any hikers, unless they looked like cops. hes 73 yrs old and a diabetic. hes considered armed and dangerous, but theyve limited the police activity, hoping he wont be as trigger happy, and hope hell eventually walk out on his own. they dont even know if hes in harriman anymore, theres been no sign since the first few days he was running.

evansprater
10-06-2012, 15:07
LOL @ Moose: I will not be staying home for some old fat diabetic murderer.

@ Hikerboy: I agree, I honestly think he's going to die on his own, I mean he is diabetic.

rickb
10-06-2012, 21:25
Not sure if I'll even make it this far, but this is kind of scary. Thoughts? http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/04/nyregion/eugene-palmer-wanted-for-murder-could-survive-in-harriman-state-park.html?_r=0

Seems odd that the park is closing campgrounds because of this and their web page "
has an advisory warning visitors to “refrain from hiking” in the backcountry" and locals are being given all sorts of warning and details, and yet the you don't hear much (anything?) about tbis for the ATC or here on whiteblaze.

At a minimum, a confident SOBO and their families sould be aware of what others are concerned about.

hikerboy57
10-06-2012, 23:05
Ive emailed a couple of sobos i met in maine who are now in ct. To be wary,but i personally dont believe hes looking for another victim.the man is distraught not psychotic.i tthink the danger is getting between him and the cops.and he may have already left the park.harriman is pretty big,and its unlikely hes hiding near the major trails.

Tinaphps
10-06-2012, 23:11
Hmmmm ... I'm going to have to think about that one
http://www.freecoupontoday.info/coupon/shopping/act.jpg
http://www.freecoupontoday.info/coupon/shopping/lk.jpg

LionDog
10-07-2012, 08:12
I hiked a over night in that area the week EP had supposedly escaped into the park. We hiked to fingerboard shelter. There were so many people on the trail and about 15 people staying over for the night. Before we went up there we spoke to a park worker and he said they still haven't check that part of the park. We were all fine and alive the next day. There's no way in my mind he is in there. Now with chilly temps coming and no real gear he took with him , he is most likely long gone and got a ride out of there some how.
Get out there and hike!

Lone Wolf
10-07-2012, 11:13
oh for god's sake. he ain't a threat to hikers. he's old and sick. he probably was never in the park

coach lou
10-07-2012, 11:15
Wasn't this like 2 weeks ago? He's probably walked up to the ADK by now.......or Long Beach.

LionDog
10-07-2012, 11:23
Wasn't this like 2 weeks ago? He's probably walked up to the ADK by now.......or Long Beach.

Yes it was 2 weeks ago, and Lone Wolf your right, probably never in the park at all. I did make for a more interesting hike though. Funny thing was when we got to the Elk Pen parking lot they said warning signs are going to be posted at all trail heads. When we got there no sign's where up, but 5 mins into getting our gear out of the car a worker came out of his truck with EP's picture and sign and nailed it to the trail head post. Thought that might of been a sign that our faith was sealed but we turned out to have the best hike ever. First time through the lemon squeezer which made me laugh the whole way through it.

Loved it!

atmilkman
10-07-2012, 11:42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9cBc-TQESI

rickb
10-07-2012, 12:44
oh for god's sake. he ain't a threat to hikers. he's old and sick. he probably was never in the park

That is the message that should be getting out, then.

Especially since the Park closed a campground and was advising people not to hike in the backcountry.

The FBI was very quick to tell the public that there was no reason to worry after they found Scott Lillys' body alnog the AT.

Why are the authorities seemingly taking the exact opposite approach now-- when the scenario looks so much less threatening?

Dumb.

johnnybgood
10-07-2012, 13:31
This is kinda reminiscent of the Blue Ridge Parkway murder a few years ago. The murder suspect had randomly targeted people at an overlook so the authorities had no choice but warn hikers of the possible threat.

While the Parkway was closed to vechicular traffic, the AT was never closed to hikers mainly because the suspect drove away from the scene.

The state police luckily made an arrest after only a couple days.

Wanderlost
10-07-2012, 17:38
Oh !##!@ somebody was murdered 5 miles from me 2 days ago.... Should I walk down the shops tomorrow..????? :confused:

rickb
10-07-2012, 18:54
Oh !##!@ somebody was murdered 5 miles from me 2 days ago.... Should I walk down the shops tomorrow..????? :confused:

Of course you should.

But if the authorities had closed some of those shops and also advised people against against visiting some of them them (wrongly, of course, given the particulars) would you not find that worthy of discussion among your friends and neighbors?

evansprater
10-07-2012, 23:29
Well said rickb. I completely agree.

TheYoungOne
10-11-2012, 09:39
I kind of bounce around various "Outdoor" cliques and "survivalist" are usually the least likely to last a long time in the woods. Kind of ironic, based on their name but their mindset is screwy. I think he went to a real remote area and is holed up. He probably has a huge survival knife, cotton clothing, heavy paramiltary gear, carried in little food and water, and has no sleeping bag or tent. At his age and heath condition, he will probably be found dead in the middle of the park under a shelter he made with sticks and leaves.

I hate to say it but if the murderer a thru hiker I would be worried. A thru hiker would be traveling the long distance trail system and using shelters trying to get to Canada or Mexico. They would rob or murder fellow hikers to keep that escape going.

mamamiapdx
10-11-2012, 22:46
anyone hike with guns?

mattmc89
10-12-2012, 01:27
Well, went through there last week and im fine. Doubt he is still there, and if he is he is not going after hikers.

Sman
10-12-2012, 02:50
If he attacks, lay down and cover your neck and playdead..... OH WHAT that is for a bear ..... just kick him in the knee

TheYoungOne
10-12-2012, 14:55
I do on occasion, but I live in PA and have a permit to carry a concealed handgun. Being able to legally carry a gun in New York State is not as easy as most other states.

Feral Bill
10-12-2012, 16:37
[QUOTE=TheYoungOne; Being able to legally carry a gun in New York State is not as easy as most other states.[/QUOTE] Best understatement ever.

Ender
10-12-2012, 16:46
Let's keep it on track and not turn this into yet another political gun thread, please. Thanks.

RCBear
11-03-2012, 22:15
If you're that scared, stay home. People in Florida would scare me a LOT more than anything on the AT.

Not the dumbest statement I've ever heard, but not far off from it either.

TheYoungOne
11-08-2012, 10:24
A month later and this guy still has not been found. Between the two recent storms, and the colder winter temps coming into the area, if he is still somewhere in that park, he is probably dead.

MkBibble
11-08-2012, 12:49
I'm betting that he was never even in the park. If this was premeditated, I'm thinking the park was a planned diversion.

RED-DOG
11-08-2012, 14:19
I have to agree with Moose 2001 if you scared enough to post this then you need to stay home. RED-DOG

Feral Bill
11-08-2012, 14:31
I agree with The Young One: He's long gone or dead as a mackerel.

RETCW4
11-08-2012, 21:50
anyone hike with guns?

That's another thread.

Feral Bill
11-08-2012, 23:18
That's another thread. Way more than one thread.

TheYoungOne
06-03-2013, 09:15
Just an update on the case. 8 months later and EugenePalmer's body and still no arrest and his body has not been recovered. It seemsHarriman State Park has been searched so much by police that its clear andpolice are looking elsewhere. I bet either a relative is housing him, or he islong gone and in Mexico. Still just in case he is somewhere on the trail,hikers should be careful, the guy is still considered armed and dangerous.
http://www.lohud.com/article/20130506/NEWS03/305060058/Eugene-Palmer-Haverstraw-police-say-man-still-missing-case-still-open (http://www.lohud.com/article/20130506/NEWS03/305060058/Eugene-Palmer-Haverstraw-police-say-man-still-missing-case-still-open)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2319669/Eugene-Palmer-Park-ranger-gunned-daughter-law-fled-woods-ALIVE-say-police.html