PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for a new pack

10-06-2012, 17:29
I just got back from a gear-shakedown hike with a friend of mine. It was just a quick and easy hike in Southwestern NY, 27 miles split between two days (the trail was listed as "mostly flat" but it turned out to be a ton of steep hills). It turned out to be a pretty good hike for testing gear, as it went between 60-65 degrees during the day to 35-40 at night. The biggest point that came up for my part of the shakedown is that although I enjoy ultralight gear, my shoulder can't take another mile using the Golite Jam 50. I didn't notice how much the weight distribution sucked until I put on my buddy's Kifaru MMR and it felt like i was carrying a cloud of suspension on my back. My ~2 lbs Golite with maybe 20 lbs of gear total felt heavier on my back than his ~10 lbs Kifaru with easily 40 lbs loaded in it.

I need a new pack! Looking for any suggestions where the suspension of the pack is fantastic, as I have a bad shoulder.

MuddyWaters
10-06-2012, 18:05
How much wt you expect to carry makes a big difference.

Any frameless pack takes a bit of learned skill, found by trial and error, to learn to pack comfortably , with the gear you own. My experience is 15 lbs for comfort (this is what most peoples shoulders can tolerate) and 20 lbs absolute maximum for a frameless pack. You will find people that say they carry more, but I will tell you that you are better off with a slightly heavier pack with stays and better hipbelt if you do.

Hell, I try to stay under 20 all the time with any pack.

I think fantastic suspension would require quite heavier packs

bigcranky
10-06-2012, 18:05
There are many lightweight packs with a real suspension in the 2-3 pound range. They'll feel a lot better than a frameless rucksack. Right now I'm using a ULA Circuit, but there are many others.

MuddyWaters
10-06-2012, 18:16
You can look at packs by ULA and granite gear for "light wt " framed packs
Some people like their Osprey Exos, some dont
Some like the Deuter ACT lite series , 3-4 lb range

Really depends on how much wt you carry, and how much its worth to you. I have 2 circuits, they are great for what we use them for. Are they as supportive at 25 lbs as a pack that weighed 1 lbs more would be, nope. But they are bliss at 15-17 lbs where I spend a lot of time.

oroy38
10-06-2012, 19:21
In my defense, my loaded pack really only weighed about 30-32lbs, not the 40lbs+ my friend here is saying!

Drybones
10-06-2012, 19:55
I highly recommend the new Granite Gear Crown 60 (2 lb-2 oz). Did 414 mile with one this spring and I hardly noticed I had it on, and I'm not easy to please. I'd use this pack if under say 35 lbs. Also have a Deuter 65 ACT lite that's a nice pack but a little heavy at 3 lb-15oz. Used it on a 7 day hike in the Weminuche Wilderness and it worked well carrying 42 lbs, it's good with heavy loads but I'd never consider it for a long hike. The REI Flash 50L (2 lb-12 oz)and 65L (3 lb-3 oz) are also good packs, like the 50 better.

RodentWhisperer
10-06-2012, 19:56
If all you want is to cut the pack's weight, you could always "trim away" the excess webbing, hence removing the extra clips/buttons, cut out the bladder sleeve, and (I'm guessing now) take out the removable back panel. I did all that to my Pinnacle, and while the warranty is now dead, the pack is every bit as comfortable and functional as when I bought it. Plus, it's 6.5 oz lighter.

OzJacko
10-06-2012, 19:57
If I read this right you have light to ultralight gear but your ultralight pack sucks on your shoulder.
So you are looking at getting a pack for comfort to put your ultralight gear in even if it adds 3 or more pound to the overall weight.
There is nothing wrong with this if it is what your shoulder needs.
I would suggest you try on a few at a good outfitters and don't even look at what they weigh. You need a well padded pack with a decent internal frame that will transfer pretty well all weight to your hips. Deuter make some excellent ones but go to a non "lightweight" orientated store that sells quality brands not normally associated with thruhiking.

OzJacko
10-06-2012, 20:00
Oh and for what it's worth I have a Circuit and a Catalyst and love them but often do shorter hikes with an older more padded and framed pack I have.
Sometimes it's nice to have the "softer" but heavier pack.

jakedatc
10-06-2012, 20:02
If I read this right you have light to ultralight gear but your ultralight pack sucks on your shoulder.
So you are looking at getting a pack for comfort to put your ultralight gear in even if it adds 3 or more pound to the overall weight.
There is nothing wrong with this if it is what your shoulder needs.
I would suggest you try on a few at a good outfitters and don't even look at what they weigh. You need a well padded pack with a decent internal frame that will transfer pretty well all weight to your hips. Deuter make some excellent ones but go to a non "lightweight" orientated store that sells quality brands not normally associated with thruhiking.

not necessarily.. he needs a pack that supports the gear that he is carrying and is comfortable.

My exos 34 and 58 have very little padding but the waist belt molds around my hips instead of sitting on top like heavily padded packs do.

People can throw out all the suggestions they want but until he loads it up and tries it on then it doesn't much matter.

yellowsirocco
10-06-2012, 20:36
Packs are like shoes. Everybody has different feet and everybody has different backs. I say when looking at packs consider two packs within one pound of each other to be of equal weights and don't fret over ounces. I have some nice UL gear, but I carry a Gregory Z65 as my spring/summer/fall pack and I don't give a crap that it weighs 4lbs+. It sounds like the OP has already figured this out the hard way.

Sarcasm the elf
10-06-2012, 20:47
I just got back from a gear-shakedown hike with a friend of mine. It was just a quick and easy hike in Southwestern NY, 27 miles split between two days (the trail was listed as "mostly flat" but it turned out to be a ton of steep hills). It turned out to be a pretty good hike for testing gear, as it went between 60-65 degrees during the day to 35-40 at night. The biggest point that came up for my part of the shakedown is that although I enjoy ultralight gear, my shoulder can't take another mile using the Golite Jam 50. I didn't notice how much the weight distribution sucked until I put on my buddy's Kifaru MMR and it felt like i was carrying a cloud of suspension on my back. My ~2 lbs Golite with maybe 20 lbs of gear total felt heavier on my back than his ~10 lbs Kifaru with easily 40 lbs loaded in it.

I need a new pack! Looking for any suggestions where the suspension of the pack is fantastic, as I have a bad shoulder.

I would second the ULA Circuit as a solid lightweight pack. If you're willing to go a little heavier, at just over 3.5lbs, the Osprey Atmos 65 is probably the best mid weight pack that is available at mainstream retailers. If at all possible, drive to a store that has a knowledgeable staff and get properly fitted by someone who knows what they're doing, it makes a huge difference.

In my defense, my loaded pack really only weighed about 30-32lbs, not the 40lbs+ my friend here is saying!

Did you create an account just so you could make a comment defending you're actual pack weight? If so, you'll probably fit right in with us on Whiteblaze! :welcome

Rasty
10-06-2012, 21:37
ULA Circuit is a great pack. I just bought one.

To make a frameless pack like the Golite work you have to create a frame by using your pad as a frame and keep to weight low. I just upgraded to a frame from a frameless. My shoulders feel much better.

skinewmexico
10-06-2012, 21:52
Tricks I use with the Jam are - 1) replace the foam backpad with one cut from a Walmart blue ccf pad and 2) make sure you pull all the compression straps tight after it's loaded to make the pack stiff. Easier to use my made in the USA ULA Circuit. Or Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus.

oroy38
10-06-2012, 23:47
Did you create an account just so you could make a comment defending you're actual pack weight? If so, you'll probably fit right in with us on Whiteblaze! :welcome

Sure did! Thanks for the welcome.

For the record, I'm not an ultralight hiker, I'm just sensitive.

Bucho
10-07-2012, 09:42

ROTFL Awesome, nice to meet you.

10-08-2012, 07:30

I'm pretty sure he created an account to defend his Kifaru :rolleyes: I'll be ticked if I end up with one...

I'm beginning to look at packs that are much better at transferring the weight to my hips. Is it blasphemy to have a heavy pack (empty) and load it with ultralight gear? Just seems like the road I'm headed down... it's a scary place.

Hiking Man
10-08-2012, 08:17
I would also look at the Elemental Horizons pack line. A rather new company, but are getting great reviews. I would look at either the Aquilo (around 60L) or the KaLais (around 50L) as there best two packs. I am going to pull the triger on the Kalais soon.

bigcranky
10-08-2012, 15:22
Is it blasphemy to have a heavy pack (empty) and load it with ultralight gear?

Well, yeah.

But you can have a great, supportive pack that weighs 2-3 pounds and easily handles 30-35.

skinewmexico
10-08-2012, 15:24
What he said. And he said it so much nicer than I would have!

Bucho
10-09-2012, 20:32
The biggest point that came up for my part of the shakedown is that although I enjoy ultralight gear, my shoulder can't take another mile using the Golite Jam 50. I didn't notice how much the weight distribution sucked until I put on my buddy's Kifaru MMR and it felt like i was carrying a cloud of suspension on my back. My ~2 lbs Golite with maybe 20 lbs of gear total felt heavier on my back than his ~10 lbs Kifaru with easily 40 lbs loaded in it.

I'm not very familiar with putting that kind of weight in a frameless pack. Maybe someone with magic origami packing mastery can make that comfortable but I'd go for something with more support. I like the ULA circuit. You could also go to REI with all your gear and give these packs a try:

http://www.rei.com/product/808425/osprey-talon-44-pack
http://www.rei.com/product/780219/osprey-exos-46-pack
http://www.rei.com/product/780218/osprey-exos-58-pack
http://www.rei.com/product/828406/osprey-hornet-46-pack
http://www.rei.com/product/831620/granite-gear-crown-vc-60-pack

Carl Calson
10-21-2012, 17:16
hmm....i hiked from georgia to vermont with a golite jam and regularly carried 30 + lbs. gotta make sure your shoulder straps and torso straps are the right length. normally the hip belt is latched near my belly button, which helps to take the weight off my shoulders.

i will, however, be buying a ULA or zpacks in the near future. i stand by the jam though.