PDA

View Full Version : Think I'm gonna take my Kelty Tioga instead of my Golite Jam 70

Altarboy
10-06-2012, 23:18
So I took my Jam out for it's maiden voyage and already the mesh side pocket has a small wear hole. The pack is light and comfortable, but I'm worried about it being sturdy enough. Plus I am used to more pockets. The Tioga you can lean up against something and live out of it like a chest of drawers.
I went in to the Virgin Falls Wilderness Area with about thirty one pounds and out with about twenty nine. I think I can Leave a couple of things at home and get the Kelty down to around thirty two or so. Time will tell. I wish I had ordered their Quest or Terrano instead of this Jam.

coach lou
10-07-2012, 08:22
17698 TIOGA TIOGA TIOGA:banana

Altarboy
10-07-2012, 08:28
Wow I haven't seen that movie in a while. You know he was in a movie that had a little backpacking in it-Across the Great Divide. It was just ok but good to see him as he died too soon.

coach lou
10-07-2012, 08:30
Wow I haven't seen that movie in a while. You know he was in a movie that had a little backpacking in it-Across the Great Divide. It was just ok but good to see him as he died too soon.

I pull my Tioga out every once in a while. When the whole family walks and I have to haul all sorts of Crap.!

moytoy
10-07-2012, 08:49
I have a Jam 50 for short (2-3 day) trips and the Trekker for longer trips. For me the Tioga is a little too large. I'm still undecided on what I'll carry when I try to do the Ga-Me thing. There is a big jump in design from a Jam to the External Frame of the Tioga. Something in the middle with an internal frame may be worth a try. But having said that I can't fault the use of the tioga. Thankfully external frame packs aren't dead yet.

coach lou
10-07-2012, 09:08
Mine is not on Medi-care yet, but it could use a new hip belt.

Altarboy
10-07-2012, 10:51
Well also the golite made my back sweaty and I'm not even a sweaty guy usually. Think if I can keep the Tioga in the low thirties I'll be ok. Wish I had a pack as comfortable as my Vaude Basic Rock 30. Kinda close to the trip to purchase a new pack but you're right a happy medium between the two packs would be the ticket.