PDA

View Full Version : Bag Bowl?

BensMusicHiker
10-07-2012, 13:59
So while watching shark tank on TV a while back i saw something that i had to get for my dad. A Set of plastic rings that allow you turn a ziplock bag (or something to that nature) into a bowl. This allows you to fix what ever or serve whatever directly from the bag. I got it for my dad cause he loves simple little things such as this. After i got them in it hit me that one might be quite practical for backpacking and the thru hiking that i do. I have carried a small bowl with me and just poured the stuff in the bag in the bowl and ate it this allowed me to ditch the bowl all together. The plastic ring folds down flat and weighs about half an ounce. I have found it to be quite the handy little gadget for day hikes as well as section and thru hiking. Thought i would toss it out there and see if anyone has see and taken advantage of this. Here is a link to their site.

buybagbowl.com

BEN

Maddog
10-07-2012, 14:25
Thanks for the info! I just made a DIY version and it's packed and ready for my next hike! Maddog:D

10-K
10-07-2012, 14:32
I've been putting ziplocks in my cook pot exactly like that for a few years... :)

Maddog
10-07-2012, 14:59
I've been putting ziplocks in my cook pot exactly like that for a few years... :)

Even better! Thanks 10-K! Maddog:D

atraildreamer
10-07-2012, 15:28
Looks like you could easily make one out of a piece of cardboard and some duct tape.

4Bears
10-07-2012, 16:16
I have a spiral notebook with a thin plastic cover, that was $0.97 when the paper is used up guess I will be going green and recycling, no sense paying $9.

max patch
10-07-2012, 16:35
I just eat directly from the pot and don't have to screw around with anything.

BensMusicHiker
10-07-2012, 22:08
Yeah, there is a good bit of eating directly out of the pot but after long days sometimes i dont really want to hassle with cleaning the pot!

All in all its a handy little bugger! I dig it... had i not wanted to get the kit for my father i would have just DIY'd it myself.

Rain Man
10-08-2012, 12:44
...Thought i would toss it out there and see if anyone has see and taken advantage of this. Here is a link to their site.

buybagbowl.com

Thanks! Just ordered a set and will try 'em out on my next hike, in two weeks. Am hiking the southern half of Pennsylvania.

Rain Man

Odd Man Out
10-08-2012, 13:05
I wonder if a half gallon plastic milk jug would be the right diameter if you cut off the top and bottom.

BensMusicHiker
10-08-2012, 19:25
Bad news.... they apparently sold out so now there is a crazy 6-8 week delay in shipping BLAH

atraildreamer
10-15-2012, 10:31
I wonder if a half gallon plastic milk jug would be the right diameter if you cut off the top and bottom.

Leave the bottom on. It will provide better support for the freezer bag, and it can be used as a bowl! (I think we have gone full-circle here!)

Rocket Jones
10-15-2012, 10:38
LOL That's exactly what I did with a thin plastic bowl that came with deli meat. Trimmed it until it was about 1 1/2 inches tall all around and just plunk my freezer bag into it. Adds stability, gives a little heat protection for my fingers, can set it down without worrying about my dinner spilling and weighs almost nothing.