PDA

View Full Version : fall color in nw connecticut?

tiptoe
10-07-2012, 14:45
This week or next I'm considering a day hike on the undermountain trail, possibly to sage's ravine but more likely to bear mountain, riga shelter and back down again. Ideally, I'd like to time the hike to coincide with peak color. Has anyone been up there recently who could report back? Here in sw ct, color is still muted, with some orange and yellow and lots of leaves falling.

KMACK
10-07-2012, 21:26
I live two towns north of you and hike in the Kent area all the time...no differnt in that area right now. Might be a tad better at Sage's.

NEPilgrim
10-07-2012, 22:01
Awesome place for a day hike or overnighter. Was there in May a couple years back, so cannot comment on the colors there now.

Driver8
10-07-2012, 22:06
This week or next I'm considering a day hike on the undermountain trail, possibly to sage's ravine but more likely to bear mountain, riga shelter and back down again. Ideally, I'd like to time the hike to coincide with peak color. Has anyone been up there recently who could report back? Here in sw ct, color is still muted, with some orange and yellow and lots of leaves falling.

I attempted Frissell a week ago today and turned back due to thunderstorm which became hailstorm - fortunately after I was safely back in my car.

To your question, it was nearing peak up at 1800-2000' a week ago and is probably near there or a bit past now. I'd say at Undermountain Road, you'll start before peak and hike up to it and a bit past. Should be a gorgeous hike - the colors were starting to look great a week ago.

tiptoe
10-08-2012, 14:48
Thanks, all, for the info. This hike is mainly a test drive for my ankle and an outing for my husky, who will be decked out in his new blaze orange vest. The sights and smells of the lealves in whatever stage will be a bonus. I'll probably go later this week and let you know how it went.

Driver8
10-08-2012, 18:32
Thanks, all, for the info. This hike is mainly a test drive for my ankle and an outing for my husky, who will be decked out in his new blaze orange vest. The sights and smells of the lealves in whatever stage will be a bonus. I'll probably go later this week and let you know how it went.

Hope the hike goes well for you. Look forward to hearing your report and would enjoy seeing any pics you can share.