PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Taken a WFR Course?

ParkRat09
10-07-2012, 22:57
Thinking about taking one before my thru-hike next year either in NC or maybe flying out West to take it. Just curious if people have taken them and if so how they were. I think there are a lot of reasons why having this training on the AT would be beneficial for both myself and other people (if someone needs help).

10-K
10-07-2012, 23:15
I took a NOLS wilderness first aid course a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I think a WFR would be overkill on the AT.

Water Rat
10-08-2012, 06:54
I've taken the NOLS wilderness first responder course (and refresher courses to stay current). I learned a lot from the original class, and learn something new with each refresher course.

I have never hiked the AT, but the plan is to hike it in 2014. From my perspective, it probably is not necessary to take a WFR class just for the AT. However, if you are someone who loves being in the outdoors, and loves to hike away from the crowds (in general, obviously not on the AT), then this class might come in handy at some point. Knowledge is never a bad thing to have, and it doesn't weigh anything to carry.

I love hiking away from the crowds and have put my WFR knowledge to practical use (though, never on myself...knock on wood). Most situations can be handled with common sense and less training, but I have come across a few situations where my WFR training came in very handy.

geomaniac
10-08-2012, 07:05
What is WFR? Ive never heard of it.

Water Rat
10-08-2012, 07:06
WFR stands for Wilderness First Responder.

geomaniac
10-08-2012, 07:21
Thanks Water Rat! I was guessing all kinds of stuff..like wilderness field rescue,

Water Rat
10-08-2012, 07:22
Or... Will Forget Ramen :)

gsingjane
10-08-2012, 07:30
WFR (or WOOFER as people call it) is a three-week, residential course. Maybe you are thinking of WFA (Wilderness First Aid)? That's usually taught over a weekend and might come in handy on the trail... in my view WFR would be total overkill, unless you're a medical professional or looking to possibly make a career in this field. If you're interested in WFA, I can recommend SOLO as a great trainer (for WFR too if you do want to go that route).

SawnieRobertson
10-08-2012, 10:57
There is no such thing as overkill in wilderness medicine as long as you totally master it and keep yourself up-to-date in the years following. With that knowledge, you are able to protect yourself from bumbling fools with TV series know how if you have an accident that needs that kind of knowledge. That is the main purpose, feeding your brain with what it will need, just like studying the guidebooks and gathering your gear knowledgebly. (Is "knowledgebly" a word?) SOLO is excellent. NOLS is second to none. Go for the best if you are going to do this. And I hope that you will.

ParkRat09
10-08-2012, 14:11
So I'm def not ONLY thinking of taking this course just for the AT, but I spend a ton of time outdoors (backpacking, mountain biking, rock climbing, etc) so I also thought it was come in handy sometime. May just go for the WFA and save a little money and time and take the WFR another time

Blissful
10-08-2012, 16:13
WFA is a superb course. I highly recommend it. All hikers really should have some kind of first aid training. Could save their hike or someone else's. And maybe even a life...
And one life is worth the course...

Mountain Mike
10-08-2012, 16:37
I took a WFR course from SOLO http://www.soloschools.com/ at Pinkham Notch. Talk about a great setting for it. I loved SOLO's approach to make it fun & lots of hands on learning.

Mags
10-08-2012, 17:36
If you have time to commit, WFR would be a great course (80 hrs!) . Otherwise, a WFA is certainly good for the average backpacker who is not leading trips and just wants some personal knowledge. It is (generally) a two-day course held over the weekend. I took the NOLS/WMI course and found it very interesting.

ParkRat09
10-08-2012, 21:07
If you have time to commit, WFR would be a great course (80 hrs!) . Otherwise, a WFA is certainly good for the average backpacker who is not leading trips and just wants some personal knowledge. It is (generally) a two-day course held over the weekend. I took the NOLS/WMI course and found it very interesting.

YEa if I have the time and there's a course that's close enough to me I'd like to do the WFR but if not 2 days for a WFA will still be good to take

ParkRat09
10-08-2012, 21:08
WFA is a superb course. I highly recommend it. All hikers really should have some kind of first aid training. Could save their hike or someone else's. And maybe even a life...
And one life is worth the course...

Exactly...and honestly I'm taking a WFR or WFA more so in case someone ELSE needs help and I could possibly save their trip