PDA

View Full Version : Painting the bottom of your pot black?

writeronthestorm
10-08-2012, 02:09
I was just watching a Youtube video of some dude's cook set, and the bottom of his pot was spray painted black. He claimed this took a minute off his boiling time. Anyone ever tried it? Does it really work?

kayak karl
10-08-2012, 08:03
i use this pot (http://www.antigravitygear.com/antigravitygear-3-cup-aluminum-non-stick-cook-pot.html) and it comes painted black. same reason??

jimmyjam
10-08-2012, 08:34
Yeah I read something on it about a year ago, may have been on BPL. I painted the bottom of my titan kettle with some flat black high temp paint. I get about 6 min boil times on 16oz with my cat can. Don't know what I got before, but it can't hurt- the bottom will end up black sooner or later anyway.

Slo-go'en
10-08-2012, 09:34
Just make sure you do use a high temp paint or it will burn off and the fumes from that can't be good. I kinda doubt it will make any noticable difference. In fact, if on the bottom of the pot, it could act as an insulating layer, depending on how well the paint conducts heat. I bet if you look at the bottom of all the pots and pans in your kitchen, those that aren't already bare metal will have bare metal bottoms for that reason.

QiWiz
10-08-2012, 14:39
Just make sure you do use a high temp paint or it will burn off and the fumes from that can't be good. I kinda doubt it will make any noticable difference. In fact, if on the bottom of the pot, it could act as an insulating layer, depending on how well the paint conducts heat. I bet if you look at the bottom of all the pots and pans in your kitchen, those that aren't already bare metal will have bare metal bottoms for that reason.

I have not done a scientific test, but I have used high temp flat black paint (same as gas grill or stove paint that can take very high temps) to do this on several pots and I THINK it helps a little. In terms of the kitchen pans, I agree that most have bare metal, but that may be because they hide scratches better than a painted bottom and/or conduction from electric burners is as good without the black.

RED-DOG
10-08-2012, 14:42
Painting the bottom of your Cook Pot black it helps Distribute the heat evenly and it does take a minute or two off your cooking time.

SassyWindsor
10-08-2012, 17:21
All my cookware have a black bottom, I cook with a Sierra Zip.

colorado_rob
10-08-2012, 17:51
FWIW: Here's a thread that discusses this, bottom line: 7-8% savings painted black in some good tests.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=57444&skip_to_post=488986

It's all about radiative heat transfer.

Wise Old Owl
10-08-2012, 18:45
Well its interesting - a black flat high temp paint... how about finding out which one?

colorado_rob
10-08-2012, 18:51
Well its interesting - a black flat high temp paint... how about finding out which one? Not sure how to find this out, but they do make a flat-black paint use to paint gas grills with. Seems like that would work well. Easy to test. I wonder how well this type of paint will stick to smooth titanium surfaces, or any sort of aluminum. Again, easy to test! Pre-2013-AT winter gear project #209....

rickb
10-08-2012, 19:22
How about just waiting until the sun goes down?

Double Wide
10-08-2012, 22:42
I see a red pot and I want to paint it black...

Cadenza
10-09-2012, 00:40
All my Evernew Ti pots are black on the bottom just from campfire cooking. :D

I COULD scrub it off if I thought it worthwhile, but I find that the black stuff that's still on the pot after going through a dishwasher is not going to rub off inside my pack anyway so I just leave it. Naturally cured pot black has more soul than spray paint. :clap

Sailing_Faith
10-09-2012, 00:53
Cool! A new excuse for why all my pots are black....

... wait, we are just talking about the outside here right?

jimmyjam
10-09-2012, 08:42
The paint I used I got from Home Depot, right there in the paint department with all the other spray paint. It's stove paint. I'm sure Lowe's sells it too.

1azarus
10-09-2012, 08:55
All my Evernew Ti pots are black on the bottom just from campfire cooking. :D

I COULD scrub it off if I thought it worthwhile, but I find that the black stuff that's still on the pot after going through a dishwasher is not going to rub off inside my pack anyway so I just leave it. Naturally cured pot black has more soul than spray paint. :clap

yup. just cook with wood occasionally. or often. no need for paint.

avalonmorn
10-09-2012, 13:17
:banana
I see a red pot and I want to paint it black...

That's too funny!