PDA

View Full Version : Leaving tomorrow for Amicalola

Dainon
05-12-2005, 08:13
Friday the 13th perhaps isn't the best day to depart, but that said, it's all systems go. Sat. morning a bit after dawn I'll be hiking the approach trail to Springer, then on for another 30 days, hopefully making it to Hot Springs, NC.

This will be my first long-distance hike. Truth be told, it will be the first time I've been in the woods for longer than 24 hours. I'm a bit apprehensive, but it's something that I've wanted to do all my life.

I joined Whiteblaze late last year and I didn't know a damned thing about tents or tarps or stoves or boots or anything. And while I don't have any real experience, I think that I've learned enough from you people to do well enough. My fully loaded pack weighs in at 23 lbs, which includes 4 days food but no water, and I'm happy enough with the weight.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to the administrators of this site for providing a place where rookies can ask questions and learn a lot. The "featured articles" section is great -- just yesterday I was learning how to make useful knots. And I'd like to say thanks to all of the experienced hikers for sharing what they know and giving good advice.

Y'all take care.

Nean
05-12-2005, 08:52
Have a great TIME on the trail Dainon! While some have found honor and recognition in spending as little time on the trail as possible, I am of the opinion that just being on the trail, regardless of distance, speed, direction, is what it is all about. Everybody has their own reasons for being on the trail however and I can live with that. Good Luck!