PDA

View Full Version : Making a Website for Lady Hikers. Suggestions, please!

Hashbrown
10-08-2012, 18:27
Hey ladies,
I need some ideas for a website I'm working on. I thru-hiked this year, and now I'd like to make an informational website for other women that are thinking about doing a hike. I'd like to hear any ideas or suggestions you might have. What did you want to know when you first started out as a backpacker? Any particular topics you think should be addressed? Do you want to hear about gear, about certain sections of the trail, about the hiker lifestyle? Would you be interested to hear trail stories from other female hikers?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to create a useful resource for other female hikers.

Tuxedo
10-08-2012, 21:47
If you could explain to my wife the Spiders aren't as big as she thinks they'll be

No, a Four Seasons marble tub shouldn't be at every Shelter and that those shelters should stay 1/2star not 5Stars

I have a wonderful loving wife and it would be nice if we could hike instead of "I"

The Old Boot
10-09-2012, 12:17
Hey ladies,
I need some ideas for a website I'm working on. I thru-hiked this year, and now I'd like to make an informational website for other women that are thinking about doing a hike. I'd like to hear any ideas or suggestions you might have. What did you want to know when you first started out as a backpacker? Any particular topics you think should be addressed? Do you want to hear about gear, about certain sections of the trail, about the hiker lifestyle? Would you be interested to hear trail stories from other female hikers?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to create a useful resource for other female hikers.

Suppliers that make clothing and other stuff actually designed for women - and in my case, short women!

I'm researching a hammock for myself right now - I don't care that it will take a guy that's 6'3" - I'm 5' tall and I sure don't need a 250lb weight limit. I want a short hammock darnit!! I can see a custom made one in my future!

Try finding zip off pants that are actually shorts instead of capri's when you've got an inseam of 28"...rofl!

And don't limit it to the AT - there's a world of trails out there!

cdngrl
10-10-2012, 12:57
Oh my gosh that sounds fantastic! Please keep us posted on this! I'm planning to thru-hike in 2016 when I turn 40.

I would love tips on just about anything: gear, ways to save money before and along the way, how to eat healthy and stay healthy on the trail, how to keep relatively clean on the trail (haha), how to stay safe along the trail, what you did to train for the hike, etc. Of course, I'd love to hear stories from other AT thru-hiking women. Thanks in advance for this :)

LadybugPicnic
10-10-2012, 16:17
Awesome, I can't wait to see it! I start my thru-hike on the 1st of April, 2013 and things I'd like to see on a website are: vegetarian backpacking food recipes, grocery store food for vegetarians (ok, I think everyone knows I'm a vegetarian now...), address safety concerns for women on the trail (and I don't necessarily means bears and snakes), mental (such as coping with missing s/o and family back home, being on the trail for 5-6 months, etc.) and physical challenges of the trail, resupplying methods & the pros and cons of each, links to trail journals, a forum would be cool, and if I think of anything else, I will certainly add to this list.

Let us know when it is up and running :)

Marta
10-10-2012, 16:19
I think our culturally-imbued fears are our biggest deterrent from getting out and doing it. Anytime a woman dreams of adventure there are naysayers who will explain why it's not a good a idea, not safe, or whatever.

Besides technical information--gear, links to trail websites, etc.--I think interviews and inspirational articles would be invaluable.

LadybugPicnic
10-10-2012, 16:21
Oh, and information on ultralight backpacking. I am part of a women's group on Facebook - there's about 20 or so of us all hiking the trail next year and I don't think anyone is under the age of 45 - and many of the questions posted are about ultralight backpacking gear. It would be great to see some gear reviews, gear lists, how to make your own gear (i.e., alcohol stove), on there (I've been an ultralight backpacker for years and am willing to contribute to this...!). Thanks!

Brock142
10-11-2012, 06:07
I'm not a female but in the favor of that there must be a serape web site of blog where only females are allowed to registration and share their ideas whit each other with out any others interruption.
What are you thinking guys...?

Creek Dancer
10-11-2012, 10:40
huh...........?

bamboo bob
10-11-2012, 12:32
Is there such a thing as a MEN ONLY web site? For men only issues? Why do women need there own web site to discuss ultralight gear? There are dozens of sites that discuss gear. Sorry, I don't get it. I think we can have co-ed pages and they work just fine. We already have plenty of ways to exchange misinformation.

Karma13
10-11-2012, 12:44
I actually agree with bamboo bob, and I'm a woman. Or rather, I should say I'm a backpacker. I happen to be female also, but that's tangential. We already have a site for gear reviews, advice, ultralight tips, and so on. WhiteBlaze -- along with the myriad other sites out there.

Also, I find the use of the phrase "Lady Hikers" rather offensive.

Don't shoot me! Just putting it out there, with all due respect.

Creek Dancer
10-11-2012, 13:19
Honestly, I tend to agree with Karma and Bamboo Bob. I wouldn't feel drawn to a women only website to discuss ultralight gear, tips, etc. For the most part, I find that the men on this website and other forums I frequent tend to treat the women as equal backpackers. There are some exceptions, however. Anybody remember Minnesota Smith? He is/was the poster child of a chauvenist pig. Then there are some men who seem to think that they are qualified to tell us how to handle our periods. I always want to say to them "get back to me after you have had a period every month for 10, 20, 30 years and maybe I will take your advice."

But, I digress. I can understand why some women would like to discuss female issues just with other females. Pretty much everything else is unisex, in my opinion.

Sweetspot
10-12-2012, 07:57
Well I don't care if anyone starts a web site. All the concerns for "Lady Hikers" are also concerns with men. I met a small lady 2 years ago and she had bought a kids size hammock. I am 5'3" and my zip off pants I learned to tuck into my socks. Then the ticks have a harder time crawling up the inside of my pants. Plus the bottoms of my pants don't get full of mud anyway. Man or women have to be careful on the trail for all the same reasons.
There is a lot of resources out there. and a lot are linked to other sites with more information.
But go for it. It's like hiking just hike don't ask permission to hike if you want to. You don't need the hiking community blessing. But if I was going to start an web site I would also advertise on other web site. Good Luck

Creek Dancer
10-12-2012, 08:44
Yes, best of luck to you, Hashbrown! I am not aware of any female only websites for hikers so maybe you've got a great idea. Go for it!

Lyle
10-12-2012, 09:50
I kinda agree with those asking "Why?" I've been hiking with women, and been out-hiked by women for decades. Why should I not be allowed the same information they are getting. I find this proposition rather amusing in the fact that it is going on at the same time as the thread that is discussing how demeaning it is for women to undergo the condescending questions, and having to endure being treated different than men, or special in some way.

Hey, do what you like, but could you imagine the uproar if someone proposed a "Mens Only" forum to discuss gear, high mileage days, or how to carry all the extras you need to when accompanied by women, you know, "Mens Issues"?

Hike and HAVE FUN!

Lyle
10-12-2012, 10:06
Just wanted to add one more point for consideration. Often times, men are helping to prep women for their first backpacking trip. Because it's a spouse, girlfriend, co-worker, or just a friend. Nothing condescending here, just the way it is often. Yes it can be the other way around as well, not arguing or trying to imply otherwise. I treat that the same as when I help another guy - give the same advice. But isn't it better if I know of the issues and concerns that other women are having, so I can also pass on this collective wisdom? If and when men are banned from being a part of these conversations, then they will not be aware of or know the solutions to these issues. Just a thought.

Creek Dancer
10-12-2012, 10:22
I kinda agree with those asking "Why?" I've been hiking with women, and been out-hiked by women for decades. Why should I not be allowed the same information they are getting. I find this proposition rather amusing in the fact that it is going on at the same time as the thread that is discussing how demeaning it is for women to undergo the condescending questions, and having to endure being treated different than men, or special in some way.

Hey, do what you like, but could you imagine the uproar if someone proposed a "Mens Only" forum to discuss gear, high mileage days, or how to carry all the extras you need to when accompanied by women, you know, "Mens Issues"?

Hike and HAVE FUN!

I am curious. What exactly are all the extras YOU need to carry when accompanied by women?

S'more
10-12-2012, 18:36
Suppliers that make clothing and other stuff actually designed for women - and in my case, short women!

I'm researching a hammock for myself right now - I don't care that it will take a guy that's 6'3" - I'm 5' tall and I sure don't need a 250lb weight limit. I want a short hammock darnit!! I can see a custom made one in my future!

Try finding zip off pants that are actually shorts instead of capri's when you've got an inseam of 28"...rofl!

Yeah! Me too! I love that capri feeling!

Lyle
10-12-2012, 19:38
Hmmmm...

Implying ultralight gear or high mileage days was a "Men's Issue" didn't raise an objection, but the statement that men often/sometimes carry more gear they hike with a women did.

I don't usually carry more gear, at least not because of my partner being a woman, but I know a lot of hikers do. Maybe men carry for other men as well if they are trying to entice a new hiking partner to want to go again. Probably just more subtle about it in that case.

In no way implying that men HAVE to carry extra, but observation says they often do.

In case you didn't notice, I was just illustrating that most all "hiking" issues are not gender specific, they are equally shared. I actually expected the suggestion that high-mileage days as a "Man's Issue" would be the first to draw comment. I get out-hiked by women all the time, even when I was a younger guy, many women could out hike me, both speed-wise and distance.

Anyway. My point is just that there is really very little gender specific things to deal with, even if they only happen to the women, they still affect the men they are with, so all should be aware.

LadybugPicnic
10-12-2012, 22:10
Hashbrown was not asking whether or not she should create a website for women - she was asking for ideas on what women would like to see on a website she is already working on.

Lyle, your posts make me laugh. Please take a moment to read a quote from Wise Old Owl from the post he made on "Constant stream of..."

"Men get a grip... get the hT++ out of here... why is it so hard to let a larger group on the trail have some space? You do not need to be smart, you need to have a heart... get out of the women's forum."

Hashbrown
10-16-2012, 21:21
Thank you for all the great ideas and contributions. I'd like to get this site up and running within the next few months, so that the class of 2013 might get use out of it. And I would love to have contributors share their personal trail stories or write informational articles. LadybugPicnic, I'll definitely include some vegetarian articles. I'm also a vegetarian and I managed to do my thru-hike without eating any meat. I'll be sure to give an update when my site is up and running.

Gentlemen: thank you for your mansplations about how women are equals. That's very helpful. However, the truth is that there aren't nearly as many women on the trail as men, and I would like to help change that by creating an a place that's geared toward the concerns and questions of female backpackers. No offense. You'll be welcome to visit the site if you're interested in the female perspective.

Hashbrown
10-16-2012, 21:25
Thank you for the good suggestions. It does take a lot of effort to find good clothing for hiking that isn't bulky. I might expand to include other trails once I have my site up and running.

S'more
10-18-2012, 19:00
Keep us posted as to how it's going, Hashbrown!:)

Ursa
10-18-2012, 19:44
I like the idea. I am planning a through hike in 2013. I would love to learn about practical issues that are specific to women. Staying safe on the trail is certainly one of them, useful stuff like how to avoid getting poison ivy on your butt when peeing in the woods (ok...maybe silly, but I'll bet there's a few people out there worry about this), which packs are better for female frames, same with boots. To the extent that a sort of social network can happen -- that would be great. I know many of us are looking for female hiking buddies -- just my two cents...

Adriana
02-09-2013, 23:58
useful stuff like how to avoid getting poison ivy on your butt when peeing in the woods (ok...maybe silly, but I'll bet there's a few people out there worry about this)...
Google pSyle, it's an amazing device that lets you pet stading up. I just got mine and LOVE it! Will never hike witout it. No more squatting to pee for me!

Carry-On
02-10-2013, 00:51
Google pSyle, it's an amazing device that lets you pet stading up. I just got mine and LOVE it! Will never hike witout it. No more squatting to pee for me!

Agreed on the Pstyle. I used mine for my whole 2012 thruhike and LOVE it!

Carry-On
02-10-2013, 01:02
Hashbrown, did we ever meet? Anyway, I know that I read all sorts of books and trail journals for a solid year before my 2012 thruhike, and I was always on the lookout for ones by women, like Becoming Odyssa and the Barefoot Sister's books. I kept a daily blog, which I'm moving over to blogspot, and ended up hiking with a group of women for most of my hike. There were up to five of us at one point but only two of us finished. Anyway, I would have loved some sort of compilation list of trail journals and AT books and articles and interviews with women who thruhiked, especially if they started solo like I did.

Some women specific issues of course, peeing, periods, underclothes, being a minority on the trail, being the center of male hiker attention-sometimes uncomfortably so, hitchhiking alone (men do have to worry about this, too, but women more so), how to deal with and "train" concerned family and friends (seems to be worse with young women). Other issues like don't camp within a mile of a road, how to recognize and diffuse dangerous situations (like info in the book The Gift of Fear), why not to keep a current trail journal (online stalkers), are things that men also can benefit from knowing, too, but women worry about more than men I believe.

Dogwood
02-10-2013, 02:24
I've seen a few hiking websites, for whatever reason, largely fall by the wayside and that was with the site appealing to ALL hikers, a much larger potential user market than just female hikers. Even some of the sites appealing to a select hiking segment such as Ultra Lighters have gone downhill or folded it up. Some have prospered. Hopefully, your site will be one that prospers OVER THE LONG TERM, if that's your intention.

Personally, even though I'm a male, and perhaps I'm not aware of ALL the potential hiking issues related to females, I REALLY LIKE the way Whiteblaze is organized to allow for a WOMENS/FEMALE FORUM AND *HAVING IT WISELY MANAGED/MODERATED.* I thought that largely accomplished what you seek HashBrown - "having a female or lady's hiking place geared towards the concerns and questions of female hikiers!

It's my guess trying to market or organize such an a activity as hiking through a website mainly geared towards females will take a lot of creativity and consistent freshness to keep females consistently interested in the site(female topics) OVER THE LONG TERM. You may find that when first starting a female hiking website you have a great many ideas and topics to explore but as with other websites, mags, TV stations, etc you would/could quickly run out of female only related issues and find yourself competing with similar media that appeal to a genderless audience or allow for topics to be discussed by both genders. I also feel hiking/backpacking/trekking is an activity that is neither a hard line male or female activity. It's basically asexual. What I mean by that, if one is truly open minded and not prejudiced towards either gender, is that females can learn a lot about hiking from males and males can certainly learn a lot from females. I know, I'm one male hiker who has absolutely had my hiking knowledge and experiences enhanced by the opposite sex. Females/female hikers are some of my closest friends/hiking friends. So, although you seem well intentioned, when you say you want to create a hiking website "that's geared toward the concerns and questions of female backpackers" MANY of those concerns and questions aren't going to be gender exclusive when it pertains to hiking! You are going to experience A LOT of overlap. Hashbrown, if still aren't getting my pt examine your questions in your opening statement. Most of those questions can be adequately addressed with a genderless answer! They don't just pertain to females.

I understand that some females like to have greater privacy in discussing female topics by having discussions with only other females but I just don't see how you will facilitate that through a website. For example, how would you know for certain a user isn't a male? In this regard, I think the way WB organizes and moderates the female forum is the way to go. If you can come up with a better way I would like to see it. Go for it

Although I could be wrong, I think your idea Hashbrown is akin to having a females only cooking show or Backpacker Magazine for Females. The number of possible users/customers/marketing base, etc for a female only hiking website(the type of media has some to do with the success of such a proposition too), is more limiting, hmm - not sure if it's big enough to warrant a female only or geared toward females hiking site. Uhh, I don't know how that might work out.

I am absolutely in sync with your idea of getting more females outdoors/hiking though. I think that's the MAIN GOAL - you and I both want to achieve. You shouldn't lose sight of that BIG PICTURE! You might explore other avenues that lead to that achievement! I try to facilitate that, in my own small way, by taking small groups of young people(less than a dozen at a time) of which about 1/3 are young females outdoors/hiking. For example, start a girl's/female only hiking club or girl's/female only camping trip. Sponsor it if you have to but if you are creative, considerate, and thoughtful enough to ponder a female hiking website it sounds someone like you can also raise support for this! Get back to me if you ever pursue something like this. Maybe I can assist. Good luck in your endeavors.

BayleeC
02-23-2013, 12:35
I would love to have contributors share their personal trail stories or write informational articles.

This is a great idea! I would like to thru-hike in 2014. There are far more male hikers than females and it would be really swell to hear another perspective. I'm hoping there will continue to be a growing number of women hikers over the next few years. I come from a family that has had a hard time accepting the idea of myself venturing out into the wilderness alone as a young woman. I'm going to prove it's possible, and I feel like a place where we women can share our stories and discuss the issues that pertain to us would help encourage other's to get out there and trek.. Also think it might be a cool way to find other women to hike with as Ursa suggested

Crusinsusan
02-24-2013, 02:14
Personally, I think such a site is way, WAY overdue....since ALL hiking sites are about men, so yes, women need their own sites, if only to NOT have to read advice that says button down shirts are great because you can open them to get a breeze; or about how great pack straps are (when they most certainly are NOT for many women). Guys writing about guys is fine. But let's call it what it is: WB, and other such sites are for guys...and we have to sift through stuff that is totally irrelevant to us. We do need our own gear, be it a pstyle or bigger S in our S straps and so on. Hope this gets done.

Crusinsusan
02-24-2013, 02:19
And need to add too, that such writings by men (that are for mens' issues only, such as the button-front shirt) are jarring and make me, for one, feel (yet again), "different", "not accounted for". If only we could all write inclusively; with understanding for an inclusive audience, we'd be so much better off. It'd be simple too...the guy writing about the shirt could have said "...for the guys, a button-down shirt..." and then *gasp* add in something for women. You know....maybe, I dunno, ask one for advice? Learn himself?

Hence, we need women space....where we're not "differentiated".

Mule Team
03-14-2013, 00:34
Why do men lurk on the female hiking forum?? Believe it or not MEN there are many hiking topics with women centric issues that I don't care to discuss with you! hence this forum. How ,bout that Diva cup fellas..and when was the last time your straps rubbed your boobs raw because some outfitter didn,T understand how to properly fit the female anatomy. Believe it or not, all of us frail little helpless ladies do not always want or need your opinions! Leave us in peace ans stay out of our tiny little speck of forum.

Swordpen
05-24-2013, 00:54
"Why do men lurk on the female hiking forum? Leave us in peace, & stay out of our little speck of forum".

I second this. Your male comments are generally not welcome, & miss the point, completely. You don't know, what you don't know.

Meg Wilson Author
05-24-2013, 07:33
Trying to figure out....how do I delete this post rather than just edit it?
As an author representing ten fabulous lady thru-hikers of 2012, I want no more association with such a negative thread.

Kookork
05-24-2013, 08:18
If women think a woman specific website serves them good then why not. I personally don't like to be a member of a man only hiking website. I also do not like to hike in a trail that I will just encounter male hikers. Women hikers/backpackers are hikers/backpackers first and woman second.

I don't understand what advantage the women only website could offer that the Whiteblaze women forum can't.

By the way, Isn't it better for men to be informed and updated about women hiking specific issues? It is not like we live in a male or female specific world.

Do we need a gender specific university or hospital ?

Mrs Baggins
05-24-2013, 08:21

Yes!! Clothes for small women!! Especially pants that actually fit in length. Can't cut and hem pants that have velcro closures/zippers right at the hem. I won't buy the zip-offs unless the zipper is at or above my knee. I don't wear capris - ever and I don't want hiking skirts - too open.

Nedrian
05-24-2013, 23:25
Hey everyone! I'm new to this site, and this is the first thread I've actually felt the desire to respond to.

I think this is a great idea and would benefit the women that are interested in this idea. If you don't think this is a great idea, who are you to tell someone else what they should or shouldn't do? Don't join. Simple as that. If there's a need (and having read through this thread, it's pretty obvious there is a need), let it be met without having to throw your tantrums. I, for one, would join this site.

It would be so nice to be able to, like others have mentioned, be able to completely and 100% take in all of the information in a thread, instead of having to constantly fit what men have said works for them into what I think would work for me. It would be nice to be able to read information that was written with me in mind.

And again, if you don't think this is a great idea... don't join.

Butterfly58
05-25-2013, 14:04
Why are men even here answering this question if this a forum for women? I think that proves why there is a site needed. Men always think they have a right to be everywhere and that they are always wanted and needed everywhere. This is a women's forum, damn. I've been reading and lurking on some of the other forums and frankly have been scared to post anything because it seems so many are bullies. They are just mean. They seem to pick on whomever they perceive to be weak or weird or unprepared. They pick apart journals. God knows, it's frightening as a newbie here. Women, at least ones I know, just don't relate to each other like we're always in a pissing contest.

I think the above ideas are great. I would add some ideas like how to deal with relationship issues while gone on a LD hike. The gear issues are a big issue since most women are smaller and it seems most gear is made for men and what's up with women's stuff being pink? lol How to deal with hitchhiking into town? Scares me to death as a woman, but I don't want to have to rely on a man either. Women-specific hygiene. I'm sure I'll think of more. Anybody going to the Trail Dames summit next month?

Meg Wilson Author
05-26-2013, 13:33
My newest book, still in progress, is about what ten lady thru-hikers of 2012 taught me, a trail angel.
My blog is all about these Wander Women, and about other Wonderous Women I have met since I started this project a year ago.
If you women out there (and the men who respect you and what you're doing) want to check it out, here it is:
http://www.megwilsonauthor.com/blog
Please skip my blog if you know you won't have anything constructive to say about it. I see enough negativity on here as it is.
Thanks, and Happy Trails,
Meg Wilson

Swordpen
05-27-2013, 02:33
"Do we need a gender specific university or hospital ?"

ummh, yeah, you as a man are going to be treated in an obstetric hospital? Right.

This was almost too absurd to answer.

HeartFire
05-27-2013, 07:06
I have not read this entire thread, so I don't know if this was already posted, but there is a womens hiker group on yahoo. It is a closed group, so you have to ask permission to join, this keeps men out of it, I haven't been apart of it for a year or so, but it's generally a really great group of women.
Butterfly - This is an open website, so anyone can read and post anywhere, there are times that men have had great input into some of the posts on womens questions. And, Whitblaze is, well, Whiteblaze, it's full of people, and when ever you have a large group of people, they come with a huge mix of personalities - good, bad, indifferent. Being a 'bully' is not limited to men! The way you come across in your post (and granted it's hard to tell the real emotion behind typed words) sound very whinny and hateful of men. - I'm not saying this is what the intent is, it's just how I 'read' it.
The Trail Dames Summit is a great place to be just among women and talk hiker specific issues such as hygien, womens gear etc.

Mrs Baggins - zipp off pants CAN be shortened to fit properly - if you know how to alter clothing. You would need to take them to an alterations specialist, the zipper will have to be removed and replaced, yes, it's an expensive alteration, but RTW clothing is not ever ready to wear. Especially if you are on the extreem end of the fitting issues.

There are so many variations in body shape, that it is impossible for any manufacture - clothing gear etc- to make something that will fit everyone. They have to fit to the common or average shape. This leaves the vast majority of people unfitted(do you remember your bell shape curves in school? they fit the top of the peak only)

Anyway, I will be at the Trail Dames Summit, I'm doing a presentation on DIY Backpacking food - Dehydrate It Yourself -and I'll have my tents for sale as well. oh - and I had a MAN ask for a hot pink tent once! (no, I don't make pink tents), but he wanted to celebrate his sister who died from breast cancer.

david_1
05-27-2013, 07:53
I suppose after reading this thread the girls want a woman only place. I am sure with a few clicks this forum section could be made unavailable for guys to post into...

but I am sure if we the guys did the same there would be complaints from some of the girls, seems like a good idea for them to have a new place to hang out ..... I know I should of shut up :-)

life too short for all this...

Butterfly58
05-27-2013, 21:05
If you perceived my post as whiny then yes you were wrong because you should've perceived it as annoyed or even angry. I just get so tired men sticking their noses and their u know what's in where they don't belong. And as I read here, many others feel the same way. Why bother calling or even having a "woman's forum" if it's just open to anyone? I thought a woman's forum was for women to post about issues for and to each other. Not saying it has to be closed necessarily, but wouldn't it be nice if just once men would be respectful of women's space? If we want their opinion on an issue we can go out of the women's forum and ask it in another space! And david if you want a man place to talk about jock straps or whatever doesn't apply to women feel free to start your own site, lol. Most spaces already are pretty much man centered. Patriarchy anyone?
ch

shelb
05-27-2013, 21:25
Mrs Baggins - zipp off pants CAN be shortened to fit properly - if you know how to alter clothing. You would need to take them to an alterations specialist, t.

My sewing ability is VERY limited! I can sew a button on, and I can hem my pants by hand, albeit it may take me a few times to get them straight! I have shortened zip off pants on several occasions! My sons' scout pants come longer than needed, and I often have to shorten them and then let them down later. The way I do this is to "hem" at the top of the lower zip-off part. Basically, I figure out how much they need to be shortened, and then double up the area just below the zipper. Yes, it is "awkward" to sew this, but it works!

Kookork
05-27-2013, 22:41
"Do we need a gender specific university or hospital ?"

ummh, yeah, you as a man are going to be treated in an obstetric hospital? Right.

This was almost too absurd to answer.

Sorry Swirdpen,I need to explain more about what I mean about gender specific university and hospital. I as an Iranian used to go a mixed (female and male) school until I was 11 and Islamic revolution happened and they separated schools to male students and female students( primary,secondary and high schools). Now you can see the result of that separation after 30 years of revolution , Divorce rate in Iran is really high and part of it is because there has not been enough exposure and interaction between men and women and many marry without knowing that much about the other gender.

Still the universities and hospitals in Iran have not been separated but recently the government is trying to separate men and women in every level even universities and hospitals( And I am not talking about just Obstetrics and Gynecology alone). They want to create a hospital for women with female doctors,nurses, Janitors, Lab technicians and of coarse patients. same goes for universities there. They have done some pilot studies and sooner or later it may happen. so I understand that some female related issues ( like delivery ) is just about females ( and I was lucky enough when I was a medical student in Iran to work in female specific boards) but now we have some doctors in Iran who has not seen a child birth let alone conducting one. That is a disaster IMO.

Ps: As long as I think I have something useful or informative or constructive to say ,I will say it and I don't stop commenting just because it is Female Hiking forum. If it is illegal then I will stop it . For me a useful comment is a useful comment and does not matter if it is from a female or male hiker. A hateful comment is the same, I don't care about the gender of the poster,I care about the content.

Kookork
05-27-2013, 23:02
If you perceived my post as whiny then yes you were wrong because you should've perceived it as annoyed or even angry. I just get so tired men sticking their noses and their u know what's in where they don't belong. And as I read here, many others feel the same way. Why bother calling or even having a "woman's forum" if it's just open to anyone? I thought a woman's forum was for women to post about issues for and to each other. Not saying it has to be closed necessarily, but wouldn't it be nice if just once men would be respectful of women's space? If we want their opinion on an issue we can go out of the women's forum and ask it in another space! And david if you want a man place to talk about jock straps or whatever doesn't apply to women feel free to start your own site, lol. Most spaces already are pretty much man centered. Patriarchy anyone?
ch

First of all welcome to Whitblaze Butterfly58 . I wish you a long and useful experience here in WB. I did perceive your first comment in this thread annoyed and angry ( and even kind of resentful) but granted it was not whinny ( which it seemed to be) but why even angry or annoyed toward men?

why not post more frequently to show you are not scared of anybody that tries to be a bully( men and women). if you have something to say don't let a bully like me stops you from saying it. Dive in and you will see here we have all kinds of personalities( great, good, bad and ugly) and it is not purely gender specific.

Drybones
05-27-2013, 23:16
I am curious. What exactly are all the extras YOU need to carry when accompanied by women?

Chocolate, marshmellows, graham crackers.

Mrs Baggins
05-28-2013, 05:02
My sewing ability is VERY limited! I can sew a button on, and I can hem my pants by hand, albeit it may take me a few times to get them straight! I have shortened zip off pants on several occasions! My sons' scout pants come longer than needed, and I often have to shorten them and then let them down later. The way I do this is to "hem" at the top of the lower zip-off part. Basically, I figure out how much they need to be shortened, and then double up the area just below the zipper. Yes, it is "awkward" to sew this, but it works!

I absolutely do resent having to pay $60+ for a pair of pants (and Petites usually cost more) and THEN be expected to pay another bunch of money to have them altered. From what I've seen most women do not have to do that. I never said anything about hemming up zip-off pants. I said that hemming up pants that have zippers AT the hem, and/or velcro closings, makes it nearly impossible without ruining the way the pants work. REI Sahara pants in Petites used to be perfect for me - a little long but not enough to make me want to hem them, fit everywhere else just fine. Then they changed the style and now they're a good 4" + too long. The zip-off part was perfect - just at or a little above my knees. Fully 1/3 of the female population is considered "Petite" but I can guarantee clothing manufacturers and stores stock as if we are only 1/32 of the population.

Water Rat
05-28-2013, 05:59
And, while we are on the topic of clothing (in general)... Can someone please tell me why women's jeans are no longer constructed with thick denim??? This has been bothering me for a while. I love my Levi's 550 jeans, and I have finally worn through most of the pairs I have (I hate clothes shopping, so I tend to buy a bunch of the things I like...when I can find them). For the past year, I have been trying to find women's jeans (that fit me) that are actually constructed out of denim. Not the thin layer of denim... If I am going to plunk down good money on jeans, they had better be constructed so they do not rip the first time I wear them to actually work in the yard. Why did the manufacturers decide women only want to buy jeans for the look, rather than the function? *sigh*

I know jeans are not hiker-friendly. I just thought I would bring the topic to other outdoorsy women. Maybe someone out there will know where I can find jeans that are actually made for function. I loved my Levi's 550s, but I guess I am going to have to find another type of jeans that A) has some actual denim to them and B) fit me. :(

HeartFire
05-28-2013, 16:21
And, while we are on the topic of clothing (in general)... Can someone please tell me why women's jeans are no longer constructed with thick denim??? This has been bothering me for a while. . :(

Water Rat, several years ago, the price of cotton went way up do to a very bad growing year - drought - cotton and silk both have been in short supply and the prices skyrocketed in the past few years. To get around raising the price of the item, they made the fabric thinner - cheaper - expecting you not to notice. - this is like when they changed cans of tuna from 5 oz to 4 oz, kept the can the same size, just put less in for the same price (ok, I'm showing my age here). Same with sugar - a 5 lb bag became 4 lb for the same price, coffee too - you no longer get a "pound of coffee" in the bag, it's about 12 oz now.

Ms Baggins, the majority of people just assume that what they buy fits them - not so, I used to do alterations as a business before I started LightHeart Gear tents, the truth of the matter is that if more people had their clothing altered to fit, they would be amazed at how good they looked with properly fitted clothing, they are more comfortable to wear too. You have the body you have, you can change some parts of it (waist measurement for example) but you can't change your height and build. So yes, it can be very resentful to have to pay $60.00 to have an alteration done, the only other option is either to learn to do it yourself, or have poorly fitted clothing, or make your own clothing. The easiest by far is to have someone else do it. Try finding some second hand (good will) hiking pants for $5.00 then pay $60.00 to have them altered and now for just $65.00 you have a great fitting pair of pants! Don't think of it as "I only paid $5.00 for the pants, why should I pay $60.00 for the alteration"

Butterfly - for all the cr**p that does go on in Whiteblaze, there is still a lot of very good information to be had. If you have a serious question you will get a serious answer, The rest is just entertainment. Take it all with a piece of salt. Only you can allow yourself to become angry, annoyed etc. dont 'let them get to you.- after all, that's what they're after.

Marta
05-28-2013, 21:11
A little history on the women's forum:

It is impractical to try to figure out whether any given poster is a woman or not. So, for better or worse, anyone can read and post in this forum.

The forum is supposed to be by women and for women. If anyone posts stupid, provocative comments, you can hit the Report Post icon--the triangle--and the moderators of the forum (of which I am not one) will take a look at the post and decide whether to act.

Moderators and administrators can delete posts, put the author on moderated status, and ban them from the forum. There are a number of men who can't seem to stay away from where they are not wanted, and who have been excluded from the women's forum.

The women's forum is primarily for the discussion of women-specific issues, but beyond that, it is supposed to have a different, more polite tone than the general run of WB forums do. Many women, myself included, find the sort of argumentative crap that men frequently indulge in online to be annoying. I mean, really, why do people spend their time picking fights online? How stupid is that? But undeniably they do, and undeniably most of the people who do it are male.

Being querulous is not unique to men, of course, so women who indulge in that sort of behavior can be reported and excluded, too. :-)

Water Rat
05-29-2013, 09:24
Water Rat, several years ago, the price of cotton went way up do to a very bad growing year - drought - cotton and silk both have been in short supply and the prices skyrocketed in the past few years. To get around raising the price of the item, they made the fabric thinner - cheaper - expecting you not to notice. - this is like when they changed cans of tuna from 5 oz to 4 oz, kept the can the same size, just put less in for the same price (ok, I'm showing my age here). Same with sugar - a 5 lb bag became 4 lb for the same price, coffee too - you no longer get a "pound of coffee" in the bag, it's about 12 oz now.

Very true. It just bugs me that they still make jeans made with thicker denim for guys, but the women's jeans are all made with fashion in mind. Not all of us wear jeans for the look! Some of us still want jeans to hold up when we wear them for yard work, etc. I don't need all the swirly designs on the butt pockets. I don't want the special bellbottom look. I am just looking for real jeans. Since the topic of finding women's clothing that fits came up... I thought I would throw the question out to the group. It was worth a try! :)

Oh, and do not get me started on the decrease in the size of my bag of coffee! That is just evil. ha ha

Butterfly58
05-29-2013, 09:57
Thanks for the history Marta. I figured that was the case. Glad to see you're the moderator here. I've been seeing your name and Coosa's about as long as I can remember. I used to be on the Women Hikers Yahoo group. Maybe still am! The reason I came into this forum was for the very reason that I thought it seemed "safer", lol. I've been reading a lot on the other forums and the men seem to be somewhat rude to each other fairly often. I am planning a thru-hike on the AT next year and I have a lot of questions and I don't want to be treated rudely. So yeah... Thanks for your reply.

Marta
05-29-2013, 10:15
A slight correction, Butterfly. I am NOT a moderator on the Women's Forum, but of General, Trail Heads and Shuttles, and Special Points of Interest. I have no ability to delete posts and so on in the Women's Forum.

dzierzak
05-29-2013, 10:21
I'll admit it, I've been lurking here, and other "women's" forums, the past few years - for a reason. In this part of West Virginia it's rare to find women who enjoy backpacking. In my role as Philmont contingent advisor (Boy Scouts High Adventure Base), I've had to, for the first time in 2012, prepare for a coed trek at Philmont. I even had to import my sister from Florida to be our female advisor - she'd never backpacked before. While many of the young women on our trek have been car-camping, backpacking is a whole other issue. Issues brought up in these threads have helped our trekkers prepare for a totally new experience. At least now I can hand out my sister's phone number for questions the ladies don't want to ask an old man :eek:

Thanks for not making the women's forum a closed forum. It's been a great help, especially since many of our young women aren't used to getting "advice" from a fat, old guy. It's been great being able to point to a thread that may help our trekkers make the right decisions about gear and other stuff.

By the way, the three young women on our 2012 trek had a great time and walked some of the guys into the ground... I look forward to having another coed trek next year.

And, having made my first post in a women's forum, I'll return to lurking :cool:

Don't get me started about coffee.

Butterfly58
05-29-2013, 10:53
Oops, sorry Marta, I misread.