PDA

View Full Version : Hogpen Gap to Dick's Creek Gap

daddytwosticks
10-09-2012, 07:15
Hiking this section over this weekend (Fri-Sun). Any info on trail conditions and water availability? Hope to see some Whiteblazers out there. :)

generoll
10-09-2012, 07:56
nice combination of some of the easiest and hardest parts of the GA AT. I haven't hiked all of it lately, but there was water at Low Gap and Trey Mtn Shelters two weeks ago. Plenty of rain since.

FlyPaper
10-09-2012, 11:02
Hiking this section over this weekend (Fri-Sun). Any info on trail conditions and water availability? Hope to see some Whiteblazers out there. :)

Joined up with some friends who did part of this section last week. Due to recent rain, there is plenty of water in this section.

daddytwosticks
10-09-2012, 15:45
Thanks for the info guys! Looks like great weather. Happy hiking! :)

Seldomseen
10-09-2012, 17:25
Just did that stretch two weeks ago, no problems and water running fine. There is a good campsite at Moreland Gap that is not in the data book. Lots of bear activity and I saw a lot of ripped up food bags (like jerky and mountain house).

grizzlyadam
10-09-2012, 22:45
Just hiked through there a few days ago. Like someone else said, because of recent rain there is lots of water right now!

Have fun.

sacks
11-23-2016, 16:30
How is the water situation for Hogpen Gap to Dick's Creek Gap?

maptester
11-23-2016, 17:56
Dry is the word. Here is from Ron Brown's FB page (he is a AT Shuttle driver):

WE NEED RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have been trying very hard to get all of this right. I want to THANK YOU ALL for helping me try to keep this accurate. I'm only mentioning the outages.
Starting the Approach Trail NORTHBOUND
ALL SOURCES ON THE APPROACH TRAIL ARE DRY
Springer is almost dry for a second time
Hawk Mt. Shelter(mm 8.1) is LAST WATER UNTIL JUSTUS CREEK(mm 14.4)
Jarrard Gap(mm 26.7) Dry
Woods Hole Shelter(mm 28.2) Dry
Slaughter Creek Dry
Bull Gap(mm 32.8) Dry
Swain Gap(mm 34.6) Dry
Whitley Gap Shelter 1.2 miles off trail(mm 38.4) Dry
Hogpen Gap(mm 38.6) Dry
Poplar Stamp Gap, Dry
Cold Springs Gap, GA: right around here, there's a nice stream of water coming from up the hill, it goes through a culvert under the trail; flowing strong & cold!
Chattahoochee Gap (Jacks Knob Trail), GA: a trickle
Blue Mountain Shelter, GA: DRY
Deep Gap Shelter, GA: low water level coming from the hill
Cheese Factory water update.
Cheese Factory water source is dry
BUT
Follow the water sign to the road and go left. 300 yards right of the road there's a Creek following.
Moreland Gap, GA: Dry
Dicks Creek Gap, GA: Low